Author Topic: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?  (Read 7279 times)

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2022, 02:34:06 pm »

NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei (disguise of Telmuk tr'Lhoell, Tal'Shiar operative)
[USS Amalthea - Deck 6 - XO's office as temporary ambassadorial office] (a month prior)

Having finished with unsuccessfully interrogating the trader tr'Dhael, Telmuk in his guise as Rhienn now had to question the other Republic officer, Taheen t'Raghaellh.

Telmuk didn't remember her specifically from his youth, but he had once had a boyhood crush on one of her younger sisters, Ratuma t'Raghaellh.  That had been before her father had been incriminated as a traitor.   After that, the remaining family seemingly disappeared.  Telmuk wished he had access to the Tal'Shiar database to confirm where she had been the past 18 years because the intel the Free State was able provide, accessible on his PADD, was substandard providing nothing but the cover story that the Tal'Shiar would have been the ones to make up .

Hearing the door chime sound, Telmuk slipped back into persona and Rhienn lifted his head from his reading.  "Come in." he called out and smiled towards the woman 6 years his senior.  "Please, have a seat." Telmuk gestured to the more comfortable chair directly in front of his brother's desk.   "My name is Rhienn tr'Hei, and I am Ambassador Jarok's aide.  I am assisting him in the investigation of your ship's unexpected arrival in the Gamma Quadrant.  I just have few questions to ask."

Telmuk waited until Taheen was comfortable before beginning his soft-style interrogation.  Taheen may be older than him but his boyish charm was just as effective with the older women as those younger.

As he smiled, almost by habit, his mind reached out towards hers and brushed lightly against Taheen's mesocorticolimbic circuit basically encouraging a positive reaction to him from her.   As a teenage youth, his mind had done this sort of thing without his realizing and he'd become quite popular with his female classmates.  Now with training, it was almost sure-fire way to get want he wanted from women - be it information or something else.

Though medically speaking, Telmuk could do the same thing to any male he planned to interrogate as well, the mere thought of such would have Telmuk cringing in disgust.  Which is why it had not even been a consideration with the trader tr'Dhael earlier.

Telmuk however wasn't worried.  He would get all the answers he needed from Taheen.

"To begin:  Please state your full name, and occupation, along with rank and assignment if you are with any formal military."  His smile was disarming, open and friendly something that Taheen would be hard pressed to fight.

Riov (Commander) Kemala t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 7 - Guest quarters] (a month prior)

NPC Ambassador Virahk Jarok - Romulan Free State

Jarok entered the quarters to which the suspect was confined for the time being. When he came to the Gamma quadrant, he didn't think he would have to do this kind of investigation. But here they were. He asked the guard to wait outside and then moved to sit at the table, inviting Kemala with a gesture to do the same. He accessed his datapadd, which he had put before him, and started audio recording.

"I am Virahk Jarok, Ambassador of the Romulan Free State. We are here now to investigate your presence here." He looked at the woman who was also the Commander's sister. The family resemblance was unmistakable. "Please state your full name and your occupation, respectively your rank and assignment if you are in the military." Of course Jarok already had information on that on his padd, he merely sought to confirm them.

Kemala paced the confines of her quarters, unknowingly much like her elder brother would do.  That she had been ordered, by the Romulan Free State Ambassador, from her brother's side for questioning, while Rayek he was still unconscious and recovering from surgery was infuriating, but there was little she could do but abide his order since his political faction was recognized by the Federation and the two had her cornered as she wait to be questioned.

Her pacing stopped as the sound of a chime announced a visitor at her door.  A moment later, a Romulan in ambassadorial robes entered followed by a Starfleet security crewman.  The Romulan obviously would be Free State representative, Ambassador Jarok.  Before leaving her ship, the ChR Vauthil still named and registered as it had been in the prior regime, Kemala had sought to find out who the various Romulan representatives were.   Unsurprisingly, given their remote Gamma Quadrant destination, Ambassador Jarok was the only name Kemala had found.  Damn Free State!  At this rate, the New Romulus Republic would be completely wiped out within two years unless something could be done to turn the tide.

The Ambassador waved off the guards and motioned for Kemala to sit. She was tempted to refuse and demand to allowed to back to watch over her brother, but recognized the need for a sense of order over what had transpired, their arrival and the shuttle's explosion.  It was only natural for the Ambassador to be suspicious of the out of place New Romulan Republic officers and their unaffiliated guide. 

With a deep breath to calm herself, Kemala accepted the Ambassador's offer to sit and watched as he began recording their conversation.

His introduction was as expected, as was his first request. 

"I am Riov Kemala ir-I'Ramnau t'Lhoell, Commanding Officer of the ChR Vauthil of the New Romulan Republic." she stated proudly.  "I would question why I'm being interrogated by a Free State Ambassador rather than by a Federation one... but I suppose at this point the two are synonymous." 

NPCs Phara t'Movel
[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Sickbay]

NPC Ensign Lared tr'Movel

That his daughter actually managaed to make him smirk a little bit said a lot about their relationship. Then hearing his wife adding to that he looked at her with gentle eyes as she joined them. The smile disappeared when Phara mentioned that Jinsux was afraid to go home now. When his daughter then embraced him, he lifted his hands a little bit, still too weak to hug her back properly, and nodded. "Have a good shift, my daughter."

Lared then looked to his wife and immediately saw the concern on her face. He took a breath and closed his eyes for a moment. He had the feeling this topic was something that would need be worked out by all of them for a while. He hated that he couldn't be present to stabilize his home.

"Mother ...", Lared sighed. "The topic of Commander tr'Lhoell's telepathy came up when she saw that he had left unsatisfied. Jinsux spoke up ... you know how he is ..." The boy, when eager about something, struggled to stick to rules of behaviour. "He told us about his friend on Katra and that he was communicating with him telepathically." Lared looked to Phara to get a sense of if she knew about this. To him it had been a rather shocking surprise.

But it was not only this that weighed on his mind. But that he needed to make a decision about that very topic and he wasn't going to make that decision on his own but he would hear his wife's opinion first. But bringing it up was not something that was easy for the Romulan.

Phara's mouth opened to a silent 'oh' as she listened to her husband mention their son's cultural misstep.  While telepathy was considered acceptable and perhaps even commonplace for most Federation species, that was not the case for the population of relocated Romulans.   Phara recalled her own shock not two months prior at learning that the ship's Commander, their friend Rayek, had such abilities.   

Prior to Rayek public announcement of his abilities, the Commander had approached Lared and her privately to inform them and asked for their acceptance and continued friendship.  He claimed to understand if they could not and would do all in his power to ensure any transfer off ship would keep the family together.   He assured them he would not invade their minds - that their privacy was important to him.   His revelation explained much to Phara, in regards to the infant she was hired to nanny.

It was Rayek's own understanding of her fears and apprehension that allowed Phara to overcome them, so that she could continue working daily, minding the Commander's son - at least until her husband had been injured.   Phara missed seeing Fvienn daily.  He was almost as cherished as one of her own. 

She watched her husband's expression, wondering if he would understand if she expressed her unconditional acceptance of Tidu's choice.   Would he understand her own?

She laid a hand gently on her husband's hand to sooth him.  "I'm certain Tidu and Jinsux did not realize such would be frowned upon or they would not have done so. Both are very respecting of others.   That Jinsux is more concerned about the insult to his friend tells me that our son is fitting in with Federation idealogy better than we.  This is our home now.  He can't have our same fears and outlook on things or he will always be a 'Romulan refugee' and not a true Federation citizen."

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell and NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Hallway outside Briefing Room] (evening)

Captain Tess t'Lhoell and NPC Ambassador Virahk Jarok - Romulan Free State
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Briefing Room]

It wasn't the first time in this conversation that Jarok felt the Commander didn't believe in the changed thinking that  the Free State had embraced. Nor did tr'Lhoell seem very impressed with his assurance that he was sympathetic to Rayek's situation. Though not comparable in all respects, Virahk knew what it meant to be a member of a family that was considered traitors. His father Alidar had once been considered one of the most feared and successful admirals in the Romulan fleet. The Norkan campaigns was the highlight of his career, in which the Norkan outposts near the border of the Romulan territory were completely destroyed. But then, as his sister was then born, his father realized that a new war could destroy the Romulan Empire and so he tried to convince the High Command of this until he became a nuisance to them and he was transferred to command an insignificant far away sector. Convinced he was doing the right thing, his father risked - and lost - his life in the Federation - underhandedly tricked by Commander Tomalak. Virahk had learned late of his father's true fate. He had grown up with the shame of being the son of a traitor.

But all that was something Jarok did not want to bring up here and now. He made a mental note to perhaps speak to the Commander privately sometime. It was important to him, indeed he considered it extremely important, to gain the trust of the Romulan Commander.

Jarok nodded when Rayek restated his belief that there was someone behind the scenes of the Romulan Government that was still after Rayek. While Virahk knew that there were actually efforts made to redeem 'defectors' he didn't want to dismiss the Commander's suspicion. "I understand", he said with a nod. "If that is the case, we will assist in any way we can to help and find the perpetrator."

At Rayek's explanation and frustration with the former Romulan Government, Jarok listened respectfully. "It shall be noted", he assured. Then the Commander seemed to have enough of the conversation and Jarok didn't try to stop him. He too stood up. "Thank you, Commander, for your time and your ingenious insights. I appreciate it a great deal." He bowed his head slightly to him and then turned to the Commander's wife. "Thank you, too, Captain."

Tess thought that it must be freeing for Rayek to set something straight that had painted a target on his back for all those years. She knew how much he always lived in fear that the Tal'Shiar still was searching for him and would eventually find him. Maybe this was a first step to a life without this fear.

She was glad neither the ambassador nor the aide made any snarky comments about him - though what they thought in their minds she could only guess. At least the ambassador seemed to be willing to be understanding of him. The aide's reaction Tess couldn't really make sense of.

Rayek - rather abruptly - declared the meeting to be over. When he stood up, she did the same. She glanced over to the ambassador, but he didn't seem to want to drag this on. When he thanked her, she dipped her head and then turned to leave with Rayek.

Rayek was relieved that the Ambassador didn't try to insist he stay longer.  He appreciated Tess' support and gave a slight smile before placing a hand lightly at her back and had her proceed him out of the room.  Once out in the hallway, Rayek gave into his nervous tension and raked both hands through his hair as he blew out a deep huff of air.   He looked to Tess somewhat apologetic.  "I'm sorry if that did not go as smoothly as you would have hoped.  I tried... I really did."  He reached out a hand towards her, seeking the comfort that just the touch of her hand gave.  "Thank you for being so supportive to be there with me.  I would not have lasted as long as I did without you."

Telmuk watched his brother exit.  There was still so much about Rayek he didn't know... but it did it matter now?  Despite his assertions that he had not nor would not betray his people, the order to assassinate had already been given.  Fighting it was a lost cause.

Rhienn looked towards the Ambassador.  "That didn't go as expected." he said in prompt.. hoping the Ambassador might provide a clearer outlook.
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2022, 02:00:56 am »

NPC Arrain (Centurion) Taheen t'Raghaellh
[USS Amalthea - Deck 6 - XO's office as temporary ambassadorial office] (a month prior)

NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei (disguise of Telmuk tr'Lhoell, Tal'Shiar operative)

Having finished with unsuccessfully interrogating the trader tr'Dhael, Telmuk in his guise as Rhienn now had to question the other Republic officer, Taheen t'Raghaellh.

Telmuk didn't remember her specifically from his youth, but he had once had a boyhood crush on one of her younger sisters, Ratuma t'Raghaellh.  That had been before her father had been incriminated as a traitor.   After that, the remaining family seemingly disappeared.  Telmuk wished he had access to the Tal'Shiar database to confirm where she had been the past 18 years because the intel the Free State was able provide, accessible on his PADD, was substandard providing nothing but the cover story that the Tal'Shiar would have been the ones to make up .

Hearing the door chime sound, Telmuk slipped back into persona and Rhienn lifted his head from his reading.  "Come in." he called out and smiled towards the woman 6 years his senior.  "Please, have a seat." Telmuk gestured to the more comfortable chair directly in front of his brother's desk.   "My name is Rhienn tr'Hei, and I am Ambassador Jarok's aide.  I am assisting him in the investigation of your ship's unexpected arrival in the Gamma Quadrant.  I just have few questions to ask."

Telmuk waited until Taheen was comfortable before beginning his soft-style interrogation.  Taheen may be older than him but his boyish charm was just as effective with the older women as those younger.

As he smiled, almost by habit, his mind reached out towards hers and brushed lightly against Taheen's mesocorticolimbic circuit basically encouraging a positive reaction to him from her.   As a teenage youth, his mind had done this sort of thing without his realizing and he'd become quite popular with his female classmates.  Now with training, it was almost sure-fire way to get want he wanted from women - be it information or something else.

Though medically speaking, Telmuk could do the same thing to any male he planned to interrogate as well, the mere thought of such would have Telmuk cringing in disgust.  Which is why it had not even been a consideration with the trader tr'Dhael earlier.

Telmuk however wasn't worried.  He would get all the answers he needed from Taheen.

"To begin:  Please state your full name, and occupation, along with rank and assignment if you are with any formal military."  His smile was disarming, open and friendly something that Taheen would be hard pressed to fight.

Taheen would be lying if she said that she wasn't nervous about this interrogation. She had well known the risks of coming here, but she hadn't expected to meet a diplomatic delegation of the Free State here. Surely this was something they would try to use for their politics, finding officers of the Republic here. But in the end, it was worth it for Rayek. He had promised himself to her. She wanted to believe that this gave her some leverage.

The security officer stopped beside here as they reached the door. She chimed the bell and almost immediately she was called in. Shortly after she stepped in the security guard left, undoubtedly waiting right outside the door. Taheen regarded the portly Romulan behind the desk who would be her interrogator. The smile he gave her was unexpected but pleasantly accpeted. While she did not return the smile immediately it made her a little less tense. When prompted, Taheen moved in front of the desk and sat down on one of the chairs.

While he introduced himself to her and explained why they were doing this interview Taheen observed him more closely. She wasn't sure what it was about it - normally she didn't think he would be her type - but she definitely felt some attraction to him. Was it his smile? His gentle voice?

When asked for her name and occupation Taheen answered readily. "I am Taheen ir-I'Chula t'Raghaellh, I serve as Arrain for the New Romulus Republic on the ChR S'ten."

Riov (Commander) Kemala t'Lhoell

Kemala paced the confines of her quarters, unknowingly much like her elder brother would do.  That she had been ordered, by the Romulan Free State Ambassador, from her brother's side for questioning, while Rayek he was still unconscious and recovering from surgery was infuriating, but there was little she could do but abide his order since his political faction was recognized by the Federation and the two had her cornered as she wait to be questioned.

Her pacing stopped as the sound of a chime announced a visitor at her door.  A moment later, a Romulan in ambassadorial robes entered followed by a Starfleet security crewman.  The Romulan obviously would be Free State representative, Ambassador Jarok.  Before leaving her ship, the ChR Vauthil still named and registered as it had been in the prior regime, Kemala had sought to find out who the various Romulan representatives were.   Unsurprisingly, given their remote Gamma Quadrant destination, Ambassador Jarok was the only name Kemala had found.  Damn Free State!  At this rate, the New Romulus Republic would be completely wiped out within two years unless something could be done to turn the tide.

The Ambassador waved off the guards and motioned for Kemala to sit. She was tempted to refuse and demand to allowed to back to watch over her brother, but recognized the need for a sense of order over what had transpired, their arrival and the shuttle's explosion.  It was only natural for the Ambassador to be suspicious of the out of place New Romulan Republic officers and their unaffiliated guide. 

With a deep breath to calm herself, Kemala accepted the Ambassador's offer to sit and watched as he began recording their conversation.

His introduction was as expected, as was his first request. 

"I am Riov Kemala ir-I'Ramnau t'Lhoell, Commanding Officer of the ChR Vauthil of the New Romulan Republic." she stated proudly.  "I would question why I'm being interrogated by a Free State Ambassador rather than by a Federation one... but I suppose at this point the two are synonymous."

It was obvious that the Riov did not appreciate the fact that she was questioned as to her presence here. Jarok made it a point to be extra serene to cool off tempers. He regarded the other Lhoell sibling calmly as she chose to make a snide remark about the Free State's efforts to come to friendly terms with the Federation.

"I'm sure the reasons would be very clear to you if the roles were reversed." Jarok offered a slight smile. He would not go into her comment that the Free State and the Federation were basically the same. It was a polemic remark and being dragged into political disputes would not help the interrogation in any way.

He glanced down on his PADD. Instead of asking the most obvious question staright out, Jarok decided to go the long way. "Let me ask you, Riov t'Lhoell, how long have you known of your brother Rayek's location here in the Gamma Quadrant, and how have you heard of it?"

NPCs Phara t'Movel

Phara's mouth opened to a silent 'oh' as she listened to her husband mention their son's cultural misstep.  While telepathy was considered acceptable and perhaps even commonplace for most Federation species, that was not the case for the population of relocated Romulans.   Phara recalled her own shock not two months prior at learning that the ship's Commander, their friend Rayek, had such abilities.   

Prior to Rayek public announcement of his abilities, the Commander had approached Lared and her privately to inform them and asked for their acceptance and continued friendship.  He claimed to understand if they could not and would do all in his power to ensure any transfer off ship would keep the family together.   He assured them he would not invade their minds - that their privacy was important to him.   His revelation explained much to Phara, in regards to the infant she was hired to nanny.

It was Rayek's own understanding of her fears and apprehension that allowed Phara to overcome them, so that she could continue working daily, minding the Commander's son - at least until her husband had been injured.   Phara missed seeing Fvienn daily.  He was almost as cherished as one of her own. 

She watched her husband's expression, wondering if he would understand if she expressed her unconditional acceptance of Tidu's choice.   Would he understand her own?

She laid a hand gently on her husband's hand to sooth him.  "I'm certain Tidu and Jinsux did not realize such would be frowned upon or they would not have done so. Both are very respecting of others.   That Jinsux is more concerned about the insult to his friend tells me that our son is fitting in with Federation idealogy better than we.  This is our home now.  He can't have our same fears and outlook on things or he will always be a 'Romulan refugee' and not a true Federation citizen."

Lared stared at his wife. This answer was so unexpected that it took him aback for a moment. He was all for integration into Federation life as best as possible. It had been a shock but tolerable in the end when the Commander had revealed his telepathy to them. The way he was overly considerate was rather reassuring. But the notion that his children might happily interact with others in that telepathic way was something his upbringing made him cringe hard about.

He clutched his wife's hand she had rested on his to soothe him. "I don't want them harmed", he brought out his biggest fear. He might be able to overcome one controlled telepathic interaction with the Commander. But children, once regarding something as normal, would draw no lines to anything. Lared looked to his wife. "I want them to be part of a community, and yes, you are in saying the community we live in now is the Federdation." He sighed. "But regarding telepathy as something normal ...? I'm not even sure if I can do it once." At this point Lared, still not quite there from the long coma he was in, didn't realize at this point that he hadn't told his wife yet about Commander tr'Lhoell's proposal. "The thought of them naively and readily opening their minds to others, I cannot see anything good in it!"

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell and NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei

Rayek was relieved that the Ambassador didn't try to insist he stay longer.  He appreciated Tess' support and gave a slight smile before placing a hand lightly at her back and had her proceed him out of the room.  Once out in the hallway, Rayek gave into his nervous tension and raked both hands through his hair as he blew out a deep huff of air.   He looked to Tess somewhat apologetic.  "I'm sorry if that did not go as smoothly as you would have hoped.  I tried... I really did."  He reached out a hand towards her, seeking the comfort that just the touch of her hand gave.  "Thank you for being so supportive to be there with me.  I would not have lasted as long as I did without you."

Telmuk watched his brother exit.  There was still so much about Rayek he didn't know... but it did it matter now?  Despite his assertions that he had not nor would not betray his people, the order to assassinate had already been given.  Fighting it was a lost cause.

Rhienn looked towards the Ambassador.  "That didn't go as expected." he said in prompt.. hoping the Ambassador might provide a clearer outlook.

Once outside it was obvious how tensed up Rayek had been the whole time really. She met his eyes as he apologized to her. Stepping up to him she gave him a gentle shake of her head in disagreement and then brought up both her hands to his face, holding it gently as she looked him right in the eyes. "I know you did. You did so well, ciccino. I'm proud of you." He would feel it came straight from her heart. She never would have thought that he would be so open with them about his past. And he did it without losing his dignity.

Lowering her hand when he reached for one she held it and gave him a smile. "I will always be at your side when you need me. Just like you've always been on mine."

At his aide's prompt Jarok looked over to him. "Not quite", he agreed. This actually had been the shortest of all of the interviews they had conducted with all officers so far - although Jarok had hoped to get the most out of this one. In a way he did, though.

He mulled over the conversation for a moment and that solidified his idea he had during the interview. He looked to Rhienn. "A private, more informal conversation might be more effective in this case. I consider it most important to gain the man's trust. His life and career are most unusual and unique. He is the first Romulan to gain a Command position in the Federation. His case can be very serving for our goals."
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2022, 12:39:26 am »

Taheen would be lying if she said that she wasn't nervous about this interrogation. She had well known the risks of coming here, but she hadn't expected to meet a diplomatic delegation of the Free State here. Surely this was something they would try to use for their politics, finding officers of the Republic here. But in the end, it was worth it for Rayek. He had promised himself to her. She wanted to believe that this gave her some leverage.

The security officer stopped beside here as they reached the door. She chimed the bell and almost immediately she was called in. Shortly after she stepped in the security guard left, undoubtedly waiting right outside the door. Taheen regarded the portly Romulan behind the desk who would be her interrogator. The smile he gave her was unexpected but pleasantly accepted. While she did not return the smile immediately it made her a little less tense. When prompted, Taheen moved in front of the desk and sat down on one of the chairs.

While he introduced himself to her and explained why they were doing this interview Taheen observed him more closely. She wasn't sure what it was about it - normally she didn't think he would be her type - but she definitely felt some attraction to him. Was it his smile? His gentle voice?

When asked for her name and occupation Taheen answered readily. "I am Taheen ir-I'Chula t'Raghaellh, I serve as Arrain for the New Romulus Republic on the ChR S'ten."

This information was of course not new.  It was part of Telmuk's Tal'Shiar training to know who all the rival ship's officers were.   The New Romulus Republic was a rival government that had vied for control of all Romulan territories after the loss of Hobus.  The Republic, along with the New Romulan Empire, were exclusionists and against seeking aid from the Federation; whereas the Romulan Free State had gained the upper hand and lion's share of the star systems over the past 15 years by allying with the Federation - at least temporarily. 

That both his sister and Taheen would risk their careers amongst their own military to venture this far against the tenets of their own chosen government party - was quite surprising.  Especially if it was just to bring back home Rayek. 

Continuing his questioning, Rhienn made sure to speak in the most amiable of manners. "I appreciate your honesty.  Please rest assured that since, as of our last contact, our two governments had begun to discuss an alliance, that you and your Riov are not being considered as enemies of the Romulan Free State.  Our questions today are solely to help the with the investigation of your presence in Gamma Quadrant, and your trespass of Federation and Bajoran territory in order to gain access to the wormhole.  In fact, if you wish, you may call upon the Embassy of the Free State to represent you at any time in any legal matters that may arise."

With his kind and generous offer being used as a prod to remind her how serious the situation was for her, Telmuk's mind took in Taheen's thoughts.  That she was puzzled at her attraction for the portly aide, had Telmuk idly wondering what her usual 'type' was.  But that wasn't the question he was here to ask.  He needed specific information. 

"So, Miss t'Raghaellh, please explain fully how it was that you came to be here in the Gamma Quadrant."   

NPC Riov (Commander) Kemala t'Lhoell

It was obvious that the Riov did not appreciate the fact that she was questioned as to her presence here. Jarok made it a point to be extra serene to cool off tempers. He regarded the other Lhoell sibling calmly as she chose to make a snide remark about the Free State's efforts to come to friendly terms with the Federation.

"I'm sure the reasons would be very clear to you if the roles were reversed." Jarok offered a slight smile. He would not go into her comment that the Free State and the Federation were basically the same. It was a polemic remark and being dragged into political disputes would not help the interrogation in any way.

He glanced down on his PADD. Instead of asking the most obvious question straight out, Jarok decided to go the long way. "Let me ask you, Riov t'Lhoell, how long have you known of your brother Rayek's location here in the Gamma Quadrant, and how have you heard of it?"

Kemala considered it a win for her that the best the Ambassador could respond with was a vague 'you'd understand if you were in my position' remark.  She had been a bit nervous about crossing words against an Ambassador, at first, but this early victory, set her a bit more at ease.  She had this. 

The Ambassador's question regarding how long she had known about Rayek's location, seemed innocuous enough.   

"Perhaps a year? Maybe less.." Kemala answered with a slight shrug.
"As for how I heard of it... his wife reached out to us."

For the moment, Kemala didn't have any trust in the two Free State Romulans, so avoided mentioning the warning she had received from Latihk.  To her mind, she had already planned to reconnect with her brother after learning of his presence in the Federation.  Latihk just provided the details of where exactly he was and the urgency at that point to make it happen immediately.  But this Ambassador didn't need to know that.

The Romulan Commander coolly waited for the Ambassador's follow-up question.

NPC Phara t'Movel

Lared stared at his wife. This answer was so unexpected that it took him aback for a moment. He was all for integration into Federation life as best as possible. It had been a shock but tolerable in the end when the Commander had revealed his telepathy to them. The way he was overly considerate was rather reassuring. But the notion that his children might happily interact with others in that telepathic way was something his upbringing made him cringe hard about.

He clutched his wife's hand she had rested on his to soothe him. "I don't want them harmed", he brought out his biggest fear. He might be able to overcome one controlled telepathic interaction with the Commander. But children, once regarding something as normal, would draw no lines to anything. Lared looked to his wife. "I want them to be part of a community, and yes, you are in saying the community we live in now is the Federation." He sighed. "But regarding telepathy as something normal ...? I'm not even sure if I can do it once." At this point Lared, still not quite there from the long coma he was in, didn't realize at this point that he hadn't told his wife yet about Commander tr'Lhoell's proposal. "The thought of them naively and readily opening their minds to others, I cannot see anything good in it!"

Lared's wide-eyed stare and clutch at her hand gave Phara her answer.  He verbalized his fears and Phara nodded.  She understood his concerns, though she puzzled at his comment about his not being able to do it once.

"Then we speak to them of our concerns, so that they are made aware of the potential dangers.  We allow Mother to train their minds to block unwanted contact, but then respect when they choose to trust those they call friends." she answered back with a rather reasonable plan.

"And if you are so concerned yourself, perhaps it is not too late to train with your mother as well?"  she suggested.   Though for herself, Phara wasn't sure she wanted to put up blocks between herself and young Fvienn.  She was rather certain she held no information that could be considered dangerous for others to know, so the likelihood of being read by someone with bad intentions was unlikely. 

"Or perhaps Rayek, being telepathic himself, might have a trick or two he could suggest." she remarked innocently not realizing it was the Commander that Lared was concerned about the most at the moment.

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Once outside it was obvious how tensed up Rayek had been the whole time really. She met his eyes as he apologized to her. Stepping up to him she gave him a gentle shake of her head in disagreement and then brought up both her hands to his face, holding it gently as she looked him right in the eyes. "I know you did. You did so well, ciccino. I'm proud of you." He would feel it came straight from her heart. She never would have thought that he would be so open with them about his past. And he did it without losing his dignity.

Lowering her hand when he reached for one she held it and gave him a smile. "I will always be at your side when you need me. Just like you've always been on mine."

That Tess acknowledged his genuine efforts made him feel better, especially now that he was out of the interview. 

He raised her held hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles softly at her words assuring him that she would always be by his side.

"It seems you've had far less need of me, than I of you my love.  But when you need me, I will be there."

Lowering their held hands Rayek turned to look down the hall and walked with his wife towards the turbolift, intending to head home for the night. He was looking forward spending some time with their son.

As they walked he brought up one last 'work' related topic.  "So I've looked over the ship's schematic and the only spare room we have to build the garden for fresh produce would be either using two or three unused crew quarters on Deck 7; splitting up a cargo bay -either on Deck 15 or 16- into two smaller bays and using one for storage and the other for the garden; or making pool on Deck 12 more compact and using the space saved to hold our garden there."

Rayek looked to his wife.  "Do you have a preference?"

NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Briefing Room] (evening)

At his aide's prompt Jarok looked over to him. "Not quite", he agreed. This actually had been the shortest of all of the interviews they had conducted with all officers so far - although Jarok had hoped to get the most out of this one. In a way he did, though.

He mulled over the conversation for a moment and that solidified his idea he had during the interview. He looked to Rhienn. "A private, more informal conversation might be more effective in this case. I consider it most important to gain the man's trust. His life and career are most unusual and unique. He is the first Romulan to gain a Command position in the Federation. His case can be very serving for our goals."

Telmuk only just managed to keep the frown from his face when the Ambassador remarked about wanting to have a private, more informal meeting with Rayek.  While he understood the Ambassador's reasons, the Tal'Shiar operative didn't like that he wouldn't be present to listen in.  While Telmuk could always 'bug' the Ambassador, the fact that Rayek had also been in the Tal'Shiar suggested highly that his brother would be wary of such devices and might have means of detecting them.

"Shall I leave him a message that you would like to meet tomorrow - say perhaps over lunch?"

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:43:49 am by Rayek tr’Lhoell »
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2022, 07:21:47 am »

This information was of course not new.  It was part of Telmuk's Tal'Shiar training to know who all the rival ship's officers were.   The New Romulus Republic was a rival government that had vied for control of all Romulan territories after the loss of Hobus.  The Republic, along with the New Romulan Empire, were exclusionists and against seeking aid from the Federation; whereas the Romulan Free State had gained the upper hand and lion's share of the star systems over the past 15 years by allying with the Federation - at least temporarily. 

That both his sister and Taheen would risk their careers amongst their own military to venture this far against the tenets of their own chosen government party - was quite surprising.  Especially if it was just to bring back home Rayek. 

Continuing his questioning, Rhienn made sure to speak in the most amiable of manners. "I appreciate your honesty.  Please rest assured that since, as of our last contact, our two governments had begun to discuss an alliance, that you and your Riov are not being considered as enemies of the Romulan Free State.  Our questions today are solely to help the with the investigation of your presence in Gamma Quadrant, and your trespass of Federation and Bajoran territory in order to gain access to the wormhole.  In fact, if you wish, you may call upon the Embassy of the Free State to represent you at any time in any legal matters that may arise."

With his kind and generous offer being used as a prod to remind her how serious the situation was for her, Telmuk's mind took in Taheen's thoughts.  That she was puzzled at her attraction for the portly aide, had Telmuk idly wondering what her usual 'type' was.  But that wasn't the question he was here to ask.  He needed specific information. 

"So, Miss t'Raghaellh, please explain fully how it was that you came to be here in the Gamma Quadrant."   

Taheen pointedly caught tr'Hei's gaze as he offered that she could call upon the Free State's embassy. She was very surprised by that and a little taken aback. Was he playing her? Surely he wouldn't make such an offer if it wasn't true. As she tried to figure that out, it took her a couple of seconds to actually respond. "That is a very generous offer. Rather unexpected, but appreciated." She dipped her head slightly in thanks, but still being a bit wary.

At his question, Taheen took a moment to collect her thoughts. Her hands rested on her lap, her legs crossed, and she slowly rubbed her palm against the other pensively as she started to speak. "Before I answer that, I think I need to clarify something first. Our coming here had nothing to do with politics, at all."

She paused there once more to collect her thoughts, mindful of what she wanted to reveal and what not. "We received intel that Rayek tr'Lhoell was not only alive but also in danger of his life. We learned that he served on a Federation ship in the Gamma Quadrant. So naturally, Riov t'Lhoell as his sister would do anything to warn and save him. I, as his fiancee, came along as well. Because a military ship would attract too much attention, it was decided that we travel on a trading ship." Taheen looked at Rhienn. "As you can see, we are not here as representatives of a military or political faction. Our interests are solely personal. I'm aware that this doesn’t make our trespassing the Neutral Zone and all the way to the Gamma Quadrant less illegal. But maybe your ambassador will take this under consideration when deciding over further actions in this case."

Kemala considered it a win for her that the best the Ambassador could respond with was a vague 'you'd understand if you were in my position' remark.  She had been a bit nervous about crossing words against an Ambassador, at first, but this early victory, set her a bit more at ease.  She had this. 

The Ambassador's question regarding how long she had known about Rayek's location, seemed innocuous enough.   

"Perhaps a year? Maybe less.." Kemala answered with a slight shrug.
"As for how I heard of it... his wife reached out to us."

For the moment, Kemala didn't have any trust in the two Free State Romulans, so avoided mentioning the warning she had received from Latihk.  To her mind, she had already planned to reconnect with her brother after learning of his presence in the Federation.  Latihk just provided the details of where exactly he was and the urgency at that point to make it happen immediately.  But this Ambassador didn't need to know that.

The Romulan Commander coolly waited for the Ambassador's follow-up question.

Jarok was barely able to hide the surprise at the information, that it had been Tess t'Lhoell, Rayek's wife, reaching out to his sister. He had his fingers laid against his lips lightly as he looked at Kemala pensively. "Asking you to do what exactly?" There was a gap in the story and it was quite obvious to him. "To ask you for help eliminating the danger to your brother's and her husband's life? That doesn't sound very reasonable to me, Riov." He would try to corner her now for more information. "Captain t'Lhoell even a year ago had been in a command position on Katra station. Surely, all options to save and protect him were available to her? But instead she decides to wait for months for you to arrive?" He gave her a long look.

NPC Phara t'Movel

Lared's wide-eyed stare and clutch at her hand gave Phara her answer.  He verbalized his fears and Phara nodded.  She understood his concerns, though she puzzled at his comment about his not being able to do it once.

"Then we speak to them of our concerns, so that they are made aware of the potential dangers.  We allow Mother to train their minds to block unwanted contact, but then respect when they choose to trust those they call friends." she answered back with a rather reasonable plan.

"And if you are so concerned yourself, perhaps it is not too late to train with your mother as well?"  she suggested.   Though for herself, Phara wasn't sure she wanted to put up blocks between herself and young Fvienn.  She was rather certain she held no information that could be considered dangerous for others to know, so the likelihood of being read by someone with bad intentions was unlikely. 

"Or perhaps Rayek, being telepathic himself, might have a trick or two he could suggest." she remarked innocently not realizing it was the Commander that Lared was concerned about the most at the moment.

Lared still hesitated, but his wife's suggestion actually was very reasonable. He mulled over that thought, nodding slowly, while Phara continued to speak. He only now realized that his wife had no knowledge of Captain and Commander s'Lhoell's proposal to let Rayek read his mind.

"I have received training from my mother", Lared told her, weakly. "It is probably my own fault for not having trained my mental shielding and now it's gone."

When she suggested Rayek helping him out with a trick or two, Lared sighed and closed his eyes for a moment. "Actually ..." He opened his eyes and turned his head to look at his wife. "There is something weighing on my mind, e'lev. I don't wish to withhold it from you." He cleared his throat and licked his dry lips. "I hold an important piece on information in my mind. A piece of information that could be the key to find out who or what caused the shuttle explosion ... and that I can't remember." He paused, stil frustrated with himself. "The Captain asked me to consider to let the Commander invade- ... enter my mind, to look for that piece of information." The thought still caused a frown on his forhead. "I am uncertain what to do", he admitted to her in the privacy of their conversation. "I have heard that the Vulcan officer, Verlok, lost his life in the explosion. And I know how much pain and grief my condition has caused you, my mother and our children. And for that I wish for the person responsible for that to be caught and punished with what they deserve." He took a deep breath. "But I can't bring myself to imagine opening my mind to someone."

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Hallway outside Briefing Room]

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

That Tess acknowledged his genuine efforts made him feel better, especially now that he was out of the interview. 

He raised her held hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles softly at her words assuring him that she would always be by his side.

"It seems you've had far less need of me, than I of you my love.  But when you need me, I will be there."

Lowering their held hands Rayek turned to look down the hall and walked with his wife towards the turbolift, intending to head home for the night. He was looking forward spending some time with their son.

As they walked he brought up one last 'work' related topic.  "So I've looked over the ship's schematic and the only spare room we have to build the garden for fresh produce would be either using two or three unused crew quarters on Deck 7; splitting up a cargo bay -either on Deck 15 or 16- into two smaller bays and using one for storage and the other for the garden; or making pool on Deck 12 more compact and using the space saved to hold our garden there."

Rayek looked to his wife.  "Do you have a preference?"

Tess couldn't keep the happy smile off her face as she slowly started to walk back to the turbolift with her husband. She thought about his suggestions for a moment. She was very much looking forward to the garden her brothers would be able to work in to make them feeling useful and maybe a little more at home.

"I think we can afford to use some of the unused crew quarters." She started to beam. "I'm certain Rah'ul will love it. Oh! Maybe we can replicate some sunberries and he can plant them in the garden!" Sunberries had been her favorites as a kid and her mother used to make cakes out of them.

Tess looked to Rayek with a soft smile as they entered the turbolift. "Thank you for taking initiative to help them out that way. I really appreciate that."

It was then that she recalled the change of his name she only learned about in the meeting. "Rayek ir-I'Ramnau ei-Moreno tr'Lhoell!?" She laughed as she looked at him wide-eyed. "What was that about?"

Telmuk only just managed to keep the frown from his face when the Ambassador remarked about wanting to have a private, more informal meeting with Rayek.  While he understood the Ambassador's reasons, the Tal'Shiar operative didn't like that he wouldn't be present to listen in.  While Telmuk could always 'bug' the Ambassador, the fact that Rayek had also been in the Tal'Shiar suggested highly that his brother would be wary of such devices and might have means of detecting them.

"Shall I leave him a message that you would like to meet tomorrow - say perhaps over lunch?"

His aide, being accommodating as usual, offering to arrange a meeting for them had Jarok shake his head. "No, thank you. I will arrange for it myself. I want him to signal to him from the very beginning to consider it a private matter." Saving the notes he had added on his padd, Jarok locked it and put it on standby before moving to stand up and consider their task done for the day.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:59:04 am by Tess tLhoell »
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2022, 12:31:58 pm »

Taheen pointedly caught tr'Hei's gaze as he offered that she could call upon the Free State's embassy. She was very surprised by that and a little taken aback. Was he playing her? Surely he wouldn't make such an offer if it wasn't true. As she tried to figure that out, it took her a couple of seconds to actually respond. "That is a very generous offer. Rather unexpected, but appreciated." She dipped her head slightly in thanks, but still being a bit wary.

At his question, Taheen took a moment to collect her thoughts. Her hands rested on her lap, her legs crossed, and she slowly rubbed her palm against the other pensively as she started to speak. "Before I answer that, I think I need to clarify something first. Our coming here had nothing to do with politics, at all."

She paused there once more to collect her thoughts, mindful of what she wanted to reveal and what not. "We received intel that Rayek tr'Lhoell was not only alive but also in danger of his life. We learned that he served on a Federation ship in the Gamma Quadrant. So naturally, Riov t'Lhoell as his sister would do anything to warn and save him. I, as his fiancee, came along as well. Because a military ship would attract too much attention, it was decided that we travel on a trading ship." Taheen looked at Rhienn. "As you can see, we are not here as representatives of a military or political faction. Our interests are solely personal. I'm aware that this doesn’t make our trespassing the Neutral Zone and all the way to the Gamma Quadrant less illegal. But maybe your ambassador will take this under consideration when deciding over further actions in this case."

Telmuk could read from her thoughts that the Arrain was wary and doubtful of his offer.  This wasn't surprising.  Romulans were a very deceitful people.  It would be foolish to take what he said and offered at face value.  Her wariness merely attested to her intelligence.

Telmuk was given a brief forewarning of some rather unexpected information when she took moment or two to collect her thoughts before answering his question.  What shocked him wasn't her claiming that their actions were not political - that was becoming rather evident.  But rather first, that they received intel about the planned assassination.  That meant the Tal'Shiar had a rather serious breach.  And second, that she, Taheen, was Rayek's intended.

Telmuk wasn't sure which news was more shocking.  It took several moments for him to  respond to her words once spoken.

"I'll be certain to share this information with the Ambassador.  But I'd like to clarify a few pieces of information."  Telmuk intended to address the more pertinent issue first.   

"You mentioned intel you received.  Where did this information come from?  Obviously a rather trusted source to warrant the two of you traveling across several quadrants." he remarked after asking his question.

Then could help but ask a more personal question.  "Did your intel about Commander tr'Lhoell mention he already had a Federation wife?"

Jarok was barely able to hide the surprise at the information, that it had been Tess t'Lhoell, Rayek's wife, reaching out to his sister. He had his fingers laid against his lips lightly as he looked at Kemala pensively. "Asking you to do what exactly?" There was a gap in the story and it was quite obvious to him. "To ask you for help eliminating the danger to your brother's and her husband's life? That doesn't sound very reasonable to me, Riov." He would try to corner her now for more information. "Captain t'Lhoell even a year ago had been in a command position on Katra station. Surely, all options to save and protect him were available to her? But instead she decides to wait for months for you to arrive?" He gave her a long look.

Kemala shook her head as the Ambassador took her answer to one question and made rather erroneous assumptions to the motivations as a result.  "I'd rather you didn't make ridiculous assumptions.  I never said she asked us here or that it had any bearing on the current situation.  You asked when and how I found out about Rayek's presence in the Federation.  I mentioned nothing about his life being in danger at the time." Kemala pointed out.

She didn't want to be here.  She should be watching over her brother.   He was completely defenseless right now.  So to speed things up with this interviews, Kemala thought she should clear a few things up.  "I really don't have time for this, so I'll clarify... A little over a year ago Tess reached out to Taheen seeking information about my father.  Asking what happened to him.  She didn't mention Rayek at all... but given the information that we had about her - that she was married to a 'relocated Romulan' - it was an easy deduction to make.  Why else would some Fed be asking about what happened to him?  That's how I knew Rayek was alive and in the Federation somewhere." Kemala answered.

"When I found out he was alive, yeah, I was eager to meet up.  Hopeful bring him home... but these things take time and I had responsibilities - so it didn't happen right then." she explained.  She held off mentioning anything about Latihk's intel on her brother's life being in danger.  Perhaps the Ambassador might not put two and two together to recognize it was her presence that brought that information to light.

NPC Phara t'Movel

Lared still hesitated, but his wife's suggestion actually was very reasonable. He mulled over that thought, nodding slowly, while Phara continued to speak. He only now realized that his wife had no knowledge of Captain and Commander s'Lhoell's proposal to let Rayek read his mind.

"I have received training from my mother", Lared told her, weakly. "It is probably my own fault for not having trained my mental shielding and now it's gone."

When she suggested Rayek helping him out with a trick or two, Lared sighed and closed his eyes for a moment. "Actually ..." He opened his eyes and turned his head to look at his wife. "There is something weighing on my mind, e'lev. I don't wish to withhold it from you." He cleared his throat and licked his dry lips. "I hold an important piece on information in my mind. A piece of information that could be the key to find out who or what caused the shuttle explosion ... and that I can't remember." He paused, still frustrated with himself. "The Captain asked me to consider to let the Commander invade- ... enter my mind, to look for that piece of information." The thought still caused a frown on his forhead. "I am uncertain what to do", he admitted to her in the privacy of their conversation. "I have heard that the Vulcan officer, Verlok, lost his life in the explosion. And I know how much pain and grief my condition has caused you, my mother and our children. And for that I wish for the person responsible for that to be caught and punished with what they deserve." He took a deep breath. "But I can't bring myself to imagine opening my mind to someone."

Phara's response to her husband's dilemma was simple. "Then don't allow it.  They will have to just find some other way." she asserted.

"Surely, they won't force you. You have the right to keep your thoughts your own." To Phara, her husband's sense of mental security and comfort was more important than any information he might have in his mind.     

"I'm rather shocked that Rayek would even suggest such a thing. Especially after you have just woken from your coma..." The worry and concern that she'd carried for almost a month seemed to swell inside, making her words come out staggered as she tried to the overwhelming emotions.  "I'd be worried it might take you away from us again."

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Hallway outside Briefing Room]

Tess couldn't keep the happy smile off her face as she slowly started to walk back to the turbolift with her husband. She thought about his suggestions for a moment. She was very much looking forward to the garden her brothers would be able to work in to make them feeling useful and maybe a little more at home.

"I think we can afford to use some of the unused crew quarters." She started to beam. "I'm certain Rah'ul will love it. Oh! Maybe we can replicate some sunberries and he can plant them in the garden!" Sunberries had been her favorites as a kid and her mother used to make cakes out of them.

Tess looked to Rayek with a soft smile as they entered the turbolift. "Thank you for taking initiative to help them out that way. I really appreciate that."

It was then that she recalled the change of his name she only learned about in the meeting. "Rayek ir-I'Ramnau ei-Moreno tr'Lhoell!?" She laughed as she looked at him wide-eyed. "What was that about?"

Rayek nodded at Tess' choice of location.  He would get that arranged before the end of the night so that Benjin could start his extra duty task that next day.   He nodded at her thanks.

When Tess suggested the idea of replicating sunberries, Rayek frowned slightly.  To do that the pattern would have had to been scanned into the replicator.  To his knowledge, Ba'ku elders had requested all such scans of their flora and fauna be deleted - shortly after the incident with the Son'a.   "I would if there were a source for the seed.  Unfortunately, I didn't think grab any before we left after the wedding and stored away for exactly this purpose; did you?" Mentally Rayek was making note to, once the wormhole was open - for him it was a certainty... they would figure it out somehow -  that he would contact the planet and write to the Ba'ku Elders to see if they would allow for the sharing of their planet's unique flora through a 'seed share' program.   The Romulan figured there would be no harm in asking. 

Tess' then went on to query him about his unexpected name after they entered the turbolift.   Rayek grinned at his wife having expected the question to come up eventually.  "Deck 8" he called to the turbolift beginning their quick journey down.

"I was planning that as a surprise."] he then answered her.  "I requested a formal name change.  It is an old Romulan custom to acknowledge significant moments in our lives by taking on a name that represents that change." he stated.  "A 'Deed-name' of sorts.  I am assuming that by now the Federation Census Bureau and Starfleet has approved it.  I sent it off before the wormhole closed."

Romulans often also had secretive names for themselves that they only shared with their most trusted friends or spouses.  But Rayek in his youth and young adulthood had never felt the need to claim such a name for himself - perhaps because it was an archaic practice.

Rayek continued his explanation as they arrived at Deck 8 where their quarters had been relocated. The suite was farther from the Bridge but was located in the most secure  and fortified location on the ship - something Rayek had felt was important for Fvienn's well-being.  "While we chose as a couple to follow Terran custom, with you taking on my clan name, I cannot ignore how much of an impact you and your family have made in my life and I wanted acknowledge that by taking on your family's name in return - fulfilling Romulan custom in an uncustomary way."  He stepped out of the turbolift after Tess and then walked alongside her close enough that his hand brushed hers.  The temptation was for him to just reach out and hold her hand outright but if one thing came clear from the discussion with Benjin earlier.... it was that the crew were seeing familial preferences where there were none, and seeing their close relationship as hindrance to performance and judging them poorly for it.   He would need to more mindful of this in the future and maintain proper decorum much more often.

"I hope you don't take offense that I did so." There was the slight chance that Tess might misinterpret his motivations as an indication that he hadn't really wanted to have Tess take his clan name.  But that wasn't the case.  Their 'family' or 'clan' name was something completely different than this deed-name.   He hoped Tess recognized that.

His aide, being accommodating as usual, offering to arrange a meeting for them had Jarok shake his head. "No, thank you. I will arrange for it myself. I want to signal to him from the very beginning to consider it a private matter." Saving the notes he had added on his padd, Jarok locked it and put it on standby before moving to stand up and consider their task done for the day.

Telmuk inwardly frowned and wondered if there was anyway he could 'bug' the Ambassador to listen on the conversation - or would such a device be discovered by his brother?

Rhienn smiled in understanding.  "Of course, sir.  If there is anyway I can assist... by setting up the venue perhaps... I will do so anytime."  He too closed out his Padd and gave the impression of calling it a day.

But Telmuk was far from done.  He'd 'heard' that the Romulan pilot, tr'Movel, had finally woken from his coma and that the man's first visitors were Tess and Rayek.  For some reason they'd made a request to search the man's mind using his brother's telepathy.   This could be problematic.  Telmuk intended to find out for himself what was going on. 

Rhienn stood and then bowed respectfully to the Ambassador.  "Goodnight sir.  I'm going to stop and pay our respects to Ensign tr'Movel in the Medbay.   I hear he's awake now.   I thought a short visit from one of us might be appropriate.   I'll report on his condition to you tomorrow."

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2022, 09:29:41 am »

Telmuk could read from her thoughts that the Arrain was wary and doubtful of his offer.  This wasn't surprising.  Romulans were a very deceitful people.  It would be foolish to take what he said and offered at face value.  Her wariness merely attested to her intelligence.

Telmuk was given a brief forewarning of some rather unexpected information when she took moment or two to collect her thoughts before answering his question.  What shocked him wasn't her claiming that their actions were not political - that was becoming rather evident.  But rather first, that they received intel about the planned assassination.  That meant the Tal'Shiar had a rather serious breach.  And second, that she, Taheen, was Rayek's intended.

Telmuk wasn't sure which news was more shocking.  It took several moments for him to  respond to her words once spoken.

"I'll be certain to share this information with the Ambassador.  But I'd like to clarify a few pieces of information."  Telmuk intended to address the more pertinent issue first.   

"You mentioned intel you received.  Where did this information come from?  Obviously a rather trusted source to warrant the two of you traveling across several quadrants." he remarked after asking his question.

Then could help but ask a more personal question.  "Did your intel about Commander tr'Lhoell mention he already had a Federation wife?"

Taheen had expected the question to come. Of course the aide would try to find out about the source. She rather quickly decided that she would not tell him. At this point, anyways. She hadn't known tr'Dhael - which she was sure wasn't his real name - before this trip; Kemala on the other hand had. Taheen strongly suspected that the intel had come from him. How he had gained it, she wasn't sure.

"It was trusted enough for Riov t'Lhoell", Taheen replied. "But I do not know that source. I'm sorry."

At the next question, Taheen broke eye-contact with tr'Hei for a second and swallowed hard before she started to answer. "I received a recorded video of a Federation woman, Tess, seeking information about the whereabouts of Proconsul tr'Lhoell. While she didn't mention Rayek at all, with the pieces put together, it was the only conclusion to make that she is indeed Rayek's wife." Taheen still had mixed feelings about all of this. While she understood that almost two decades had passed, she didn't want to let it go that she was officially betrothed to Rayek - with the blessing and arrangement of their fathers. A betrothal didn't become time-barred. Now that she knew that Rayek was still alive, she had the power to declare his marriage with the Earth woman invalid and make him honor his promise to her.
She had so many questions. Why did he leave? Had he ever actually tried to find her? Had he been the one to save her from disgrace and probably even death? Her whole family had found death shortly after her father's connections to the people who tried bring down Praetor Chulan had come to light. Taheen didn't know why she escaped. Was it luck? Coincidence? Or had Rayek something to do with it?

Kemala shook her head as the Ambassador took her answer to one question and made rather erroneous assumptions to the motivations as a result.  "I'd rather you didn't make ridiculous assumptions.  I never said she asked us here or that it had any bearing on the current situation.  You asked when and how I found out about Rayek's presence in the Federation.  I mentioned nothing about his life being in danger at the time." Kemala pointed out.

She didn't want to be here.  She should be watching over her brother.   He was completely defenseless right now.  So to speed things up with this interviews, Kemala thought she should clear a few things up.  "I really don't have time for this, so I'll clarify... A little over a year ago Tess reached out to Taheen seeking information about my father.  Asking what happened to him.  She didn't mention Rayek at all... but given the information that we had about her - that she was married to a 'relocated Romulan' - it was an easy deduction to make.  Why else would some Fed be asking about what happened to him?  That's how I knew Rayek was alive and in the Federation somewhere." Kemala answered.

"When I found out he was alive, yeah, I was eager to meet up.  Hopeful bring him home... but these things take time and I had responsibilities - so it didn't happen right then." she explained.  She held off mentioning anything about Latihk's intel on her brother's life being in danger.  Perhaps the Ambassador might not put two and two together to recognize it was her presence that brought that information to light.

Virahk allowed himself an amused grin when the Riov called his assumptions 'ridiculous'. Her impatience was so evident. Which was good for him. It would give him more leverage over her. After all it was he who decided when this interrogation was over.

His jumping the gun with a conclusion had the desired effect. Kemala provided more information. Jarok listened attentively, leaned back in the chair. The missing piece of information was clear to him. How had she gained knowledge about the planned attempt on Rayek's life? If, in fact, it wasn't her being responsible for it in the first place ...

Virahk decided to not press for that information at this point any further. He wanted to make her believe that he was satisfied with the answer she gave.

"I see", he said with a vague nod of his head, and then pretended to need a moment to collect his thoughts for the new topic. "So, if you would please tell me, then, where do you know Mr. ..." he pointedly leaned forward to make a show of reading the - obviously false - name out loud. "... Aeufau tr'Dhael from?" He leaned back again, his calm gaze resting on the woman opposite him. "Have you known him before your journey together to the Gamma Quadrant?"

NPC Phara t'Movel

Phara's response to her husband's dilemma was simple. "Then don't allow it.  They will have to just find some other way." she asserted.

"Surely, they won't force you. You have the right to keep your thoughts your own." To Phara, her husband's sense of mental security and comfort was more important than any information he might have in his mind.     

"I'm rather shocked that Rayek would even suggest such a thing. Especially after you have just woken from your coma..." The worry and concern that she'd carried for almost a month seemed to swell inside, making her words come out staggered as she tried to the overwhelming emotions.  "I'd be worried it might take you away from us again."

Lared couldn't bear to see his wife suffering like this. He felt the overwhelming need to comfort and console her. To promise her that everything would be fine.
His hand seeking hers, he held it gently as he looked at her. "E'lev, don't you worry. Your strength makes me strong. I survived to be with you. I won't let anything take me away from you if I can help it."

He took a few steadying breaths, feeling more exhausted by the second. He hadn't made up his mind before, but he didn't want to concern his wife more. Not at this point, anyways. It was almost decided for him now that he would decline.

The sound of steps and clothes rustling made Lared turn his head and he saw the doctor again.

"I'm sorry, I know you want to make up for the time, but he needs rest", he said to Phara, gentler than before. "Depending on how he feels later you may come for another short visit tonight."

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Hallway outside Briefing Room >>> Turbolift]

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Rayek nodded at Tess' choice of location.  He would get that arranged before the end of the night so that Benjin could start his extra duty task that next day.   He nodded at her thanks.

When Tess suggested the idea of replicating sunberries, Rayek frowned slightly.  To do that the pattern would have had to been scanned into the replicator.  To his knowledge, Ba'ku elders had requested all such scans of their flora and fauna be deleted - shortly after the incident with the Son'a.   "I would if there were a source for the seed.  Unfortunately, I didn't think grab any before we left after the wedding and stored away for exactly this purpose; did you?" Mentally Rayek was making note to, once the wormhole was open - for him it was a certainty... they would figure it out somehow -  that he would contact the planet and write to the Ba'ku Elders to see if they would allow for the sharing of their planet's unique flora through a 'seed share' program.   The Romulan figured there would be no harm in asking. 

Tess grinned mischievously at him. "Nope, not me." She made a pause in which she held Rayek's gaze with a grin widening on her face. "The Ba'ku Elders didn't want information stored in our databases about their flora and fauna. So papa, when we left for Earth, took actual seed samples with him from many of the Ba'ku plant life. He didn't make mention of it publicly, but I do know he has them. They're storing in the science labs, I'd imagine."

"I thought maybe we can replicate the seeds without saving its molecular pattern." She looked to Rayek to see if he would be okay with that.

Tess' then went on to query him about his unexpected name after they entered the turbolift.   Rayek grinned at his wife having expected the question to come up eventually.  "Deck 8" he called to the turbolift beginning their quick journey down.

"I was planning that as a surprise."] he then answered her.  "I requested a formal name change.  It is an old Romulan custom to acknowledge significant moments in our lives by taking on a name that represents that change." he stated.  "A 'Deed-name' of sorts.  I am assuming that by now the Federation Census Bureau and Starfleet has approved it.  I sent it off before the wormhole closed."

Romulans often also had secretive names for themselves that they only shared with their most trusted friends or spouses.  But Rayek in his youth and young adulthood had never felt the need to claim such a name for himself - perhaps because it was an archaic practice.

Rayek continued his explanation as they arrived at Deck 8 where their quarters had been relocated. The suite was farther from the Bridge but was located in the most secure  and fortified location on the ship - something Rayek had felt was important for Fvienn's well-being.  "While we chose as a couple to follow Terran custom, with you taking on my clan name, I cannot ignore how much of an impact you and your family have made in my life and I wanted acknowledge that by taking on your family's name in return - fulfilling Romulan custom in an uncustomary way."  He stepped out of the turbolift after Tess and then walked alongside her close enough that his hand brushed hers.  The temptation was for him to just reach out and hold her hand outright but if one thing came clear from the discussion with Benjin earlier.... it was that the crew were seeing familial preferences where there were none, and seeing their close relationship as hindrance to performance and judging them poorly for it.   He would need to more mindful of this in the future and maintain proper decorum much more often.

"I hope you don't take offense that I did so." There was the slight chance that Tess might misinterpret his motivations as an indication that he hadn't really wanted to have Tess take his clan name.  But that wasn't the case.  Their 'family' or 'clan' name was something completely different than this deed-name.   He hoped Tess recognized that.
[/size]

Tess couldn't helped but smile enamoured at her husband as he explained to her why he had made the decision to include her name to his own. In the privacy of the turbolift, although there too was a video feed, but Tess didn't care for that right now, she gently pulled him to her to give him a sweet lingering kiss. Afterwards she looked up into his eyes. "Thank you, ciccino", she said quietly, just as the turbolift came to a halt. Reluctantly Tess stepped away from Rayek again and with a little smirk in his direction she stepped out into the corridor.

As they walked next to each other, Tess felt him walking so close to her side that their hands brushed at each other occasionally. She smiled to herself, knowing why he did that. Only a few more meters and they would be in their quarters where they could behave like the loved-up married couple they were.

When Rayek shared his concern with her, Tess looked at him puzzled. "What? No, of course not. I would never be upset about that." She smiled at him and then they reached the door that led to their quarters. "Names are really important in your culture, are they?" When Tess had read up about Romulan naming traditions around their wedding, she had found many customs and traditions around names. It almost felt like it was extra confusing to provide more privacy around it.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 02:07:13 pm by Tess tLhoell »
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2022, 12:29:46 pm »

[USS Amalthea - Deck 6 - XO's office as temporary ambassadorial office] (a month prior)[/size]

Taheen had expected the question to come. Of course the aide would try to find out about the source. She rather quickly decided that she would not tell him. At this point, anyways. She hadn't known tr'Dhael - which she was sure wasn't his real name - before this trip; Kemala on the other hand had. Taheen strongly suspected that the intel had come from him. How he had gained it, she wasn't sure.

"It was trusted enough for Riov t'Lhoell", Taheen replied. "But I do not know that source. I'm sorry."[/size]

Telmuk was a bit disappointed that Taheen didn't know tr'Dhael's real name. That would have been helpful, especially since she suspected the intel regarding the attack had come from the trader.   

That she also suspected Kemala knew of the trader prior was surprising.  Where would his sister have met such a man before? 

Telmuk nodded his acknowledgement of her apology for not knowing before asking his question about her knowing Tess was Rayek's wife.   He felt a little bad for asking such a personal question but he couldn't quite understand her stated reason for coming out all this way.

At the next question, Taheen broke eye-contact with tr'Hei for a second and swallowed hard before she started to answer. "I received a recorded video of a Federation woman, Tess, seeking information about the whereabouts of Proconsul tr'Lhoell. While she didn't mention Rayek at all, with the pieces put together, it was the only conclusion to make that she is indeed Rayek's wife." Taheen still had mixed feelings about all of this. While she understood that almost two decades had passed, she didn't want to let it go that she was officially betrothed to Rayek - with the blessing and arrangement of their fathers. A betrothal didn't become time-barred. Now that she knew that Rayek was still alive, she had the power to declare his marriage with the Earth woman invalid and make him honor his promise to her.
She had so many questions. Why did he leave? Had he ever actually tried to find her? Had he been the one to save her from disgrace and probably even death? Her whole family had found death shortly after her father's connections to the people who tried bring down Praetor Chulan had come to light. Taheen didn't know why she escaped. Was it luck? Coincidence? Or had Rayek something to do with it?

His question prompted a slew of interesting thoughts.  That Taheen might come to the Gamma Quadrant to potentially annul his brothers current marriage was something that Telmuk would not have ever considered.  Was that why Kemala had brought her - to force Rayek back home to marry Taheen?   It almost made Telmuk glad that his explosion hadn't finished off his brother... so that he could witness everything Rayek had gained for himself here in the Federation taken away. 

That she attributed her survival to Rayek was not unwarranted.  Engagement to the Proconsul's eldest son would have made most hesitate in following a standard order to execute the relatives of a traitor... lest the Proconsul disagree with the order and seek vengeance against those who killed his son's intended. 

But it didn't explain why Rayek or their father never spoke of Taheen after that particular scandal.  Telmuk remembered feeling angry towards his father who, when news of the Senator's capture had become known, had ordered him to abandon the middle t'Raghaellh sibling, Ratuma.  Now it made sense - to save Taheen, he'd been ordered to give up Ratuma. 

Telmuk had to wonder -  had the sacrifice had been needed since she'd survived without having actually married his brother.   Could Ratuma not also been engaged to him?  While he hadn't truly loved her in that way, Taheen's younger sister had been fun and lively.  She hadn't deserved to be executed for the terrible crime her father was involved in.

Realizing that his thoughts had gotten away from him and that his expression was no longer Rhienn's usual smile but more of a frustrated scowl, Telmuk gave himself a mental shake. 

"My apologies, something I ate is not agreeing with me. he offered a lie in explanation.  "I hope you don't mind if I wrap this up quickly with one final question."

Using Rhienn's charisma, Telmuk prompted for a fully honest answer.  "I realize this may be difficult to answer as it is quite private but.. now that you have found your betrothed.  What is your intention?  Do you seek recompense or do you plan to invalidate the Federation marriage?  I ask because as I said before, you can call on the Embassy to assist with the negotiation for either - on your behalf. "

Virahk allowed himself an amused grin when the Riov called his assumptions 'ridiculous'. Her impatience was so evident. Which was good for him. It would give him more leverage over her. After all it was he who decided when this interrogation was over.

His jumping the gun with a conclusion had the desired effect. Kemala provided more information. Jarok listened attentively, leaned back in the chair. The missing piece of information was clear to him. How had she gained knowledge about the planned attempt on Rayek's life? If, in fact, it wasn't her being responsible for it in the first place ...

Virahk decided to not press for that information at this point any further. He wanted to make her believe that he was satisfied with the answer she gave.

"I see", he said with a vague nod of his head, and then pretended to need a moment to collect his thoughts for the new topic. "So, if you would please tell me, then, where do you know Mr. ..." he pointedly leaned forward to make a show of reading the - obviously false - name out loud. "... Aeufau tr'Dhael from?" He leaned back again, his calm gaze resting on the woman opposite him. "Have you known him before your journey together to the Gamma Quadrant?"

That the Ambassador had yet more questions for her was annoying.  She had better things to do.   And his questions about Latihk were troublesome.  That's okay... Kemala had no qualms about lying to the Free State Ambassador, if it would save her brother and her brother's friend.

Kemala gave a shrug. "Sort of.  I'd known of him.  He's someone that's been on the watchlist for black marketeering of Federation goods for a while now.  Most Free State ships along the Neutral Zone have heard of tr'Dhael and the Narvasam.  But every time we attempt catch him in the act of an illegal activity, he's had the proper documentation for his goods." she answered somewhat truthfully.   

"I knew I'd need a stealthy vessel to accomplish getting here so I let it be known that I was looking to hire him.  It took some convincing, a lot of money and a promise to accept the responsibility of this venture should we be apprehended to prove that this wasn't a sting operation to catch him but an actual personal request - but I feel it's worth it to be able to finally see my elder brother once more." Kemala's voice had gotten quieter at the end of her answer.  She let some of the fear and worry she felt about her brother's condition seep into her words. "Though I'd thought the occasion would be happier."

She blinked back what could have been tears.  "I don't have time for this. Are we done yet?  I should be with my brother... in case the worst happens - not answering questions for an Ambassador to a government I don't acknowledge.  If the Captain of this ship has questions for me .. fine I'll answer to her, but I have nothing more to say to you."

NPC Phara t'Movel

[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Sickbay][/size]

Lared couldn't bear to see his wife suffering like this. He felt the overwhelming need to comfort and console her. To promise her that everything would be fine.
His hand seeking hers, he held it gently as he looked at her. "E'lev, don't you worry. Your strength makes me strong. I survived to be with you. I won't let anything take me away from you if I can help it."

He took a few steadying breaths, feeling more exhausted by the second. He hadn't made up his mind before, but he didn't want to concern his wife more. Not at this point, anyways. It was almost decided for him now that he would decline.

The sound of steps and clothes rustling made Lared turn his head and he saw the doctor again.

"I'm sorry, I know you want to make up for the time, but he needs rest", he said to Phara, gentler than before. "Depending on how he feels later you may come for another short visit tonight."

Her husband's words and his hand holding hers were like a lifeline for Phara.  She held onto his hand tightly.   How she'd managed the past month without him was still a wonder to her.  Surprisingly, Karinne had helped with the children more than Phara would have ever expected.

Before Phara could reply to Lared's words, the doctor approached and reminded her that her husband needed rest.  Phara's head bobbed up and down as she blinked back her unshed tears.   "Of course, Doctor." she gazed a moment at her husband laying prone in bed, as she stood and gave his hand a squeeze before leaning down to kiss him tenderly.  "I'll be back to check on you later. Be well e'lev."

Then reluctantly she let go of his hand and left Lared to get some rest per the doctor's orders.

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Hallway outside Briefing Room >>> Turbolift]

Tess grinned mischievously at him. "Nope, not me." She made a pause in which she held Rayek's gaze with a grin widening on her face. "The Ba'ku Elders didn't want information stored in our databases about their flora and fauna. So papa, when we left for Earth, took actual seed samples with him from many of the Ba'ku plant life. He didn't make mention of it publicly, but I do know he has them. They're storing in the science labs, I'd imagine."

"I thought maybe we can replicate the seeds without saving its molecular pattern." She looked to Rayek to see if he would be okay with that.

Hearing of Fabiano's breach of Ba'ku trust, Rayek was both surprised and impressed.  While the Science officer had technically followed the letter of his agreement with the Ba'ku, Rayek was certain the intent was for the flora and fauna to remain exclusively on Ba'ku.  But what was done was done and Rayek had no problem with taking advantage of it for the benefit of their Ba'ku guests now. 

Rayek smiled. "I think that's an excellent idea.  I'll check on the lab storage myself tomorrow and privately catalogue what your father has in there and mark it as yours so that no one will dare question it."  Once they returned to Katra, it was likely they would be assigned a new Science Chief.  It wouldn't do to have that incoming officer toss out Fabiano's years of care.

Tess couldn't helped but smile enamoured at her husband as he explained to her why he had made the decision to include her name to his own. In the privacy of the turbolift, although there too was a video feed, but Tess didn't care for that right now, she gently pulled him to her to give him a sweet lingering kiss. Afterwards she looked up into his eyes. "Thank you, ciccino", she said quietly, just as the turbolift came to a halt. Reluctantly Tess stepped away from Rayek again and with a little smirk in his direction she stepped out into the corridor.

As they walked next to each other, Tess felt him walking so close to her side that their hands brushed at each other occasionally. She smiled to herself, knowing why he did that. Only a few more meters and they would be in their quarters where they could behave like the loved-up married couple they were.

When Rayek shared his concern with her, Tess looked at him puzzled. "What? No, of course not. I would never be upset about that." She smiled at him and then they reached the door that led to their quarters. "Names are really important in your culture, are they?" When Tess had read up about Romulan naming traditions around their wedding, she had found many customs and traditions around names. It almost felt like it was extra confusing to provide more privacy around it.

Tess' happy reaction to his explanation made him all the more pleased that he'd thought of the idea. He savored their brief kiss in the turbolift and enjoyed his subtle hand play as they walked the corridor to their quarters.  Moments like these were very meaningful to Rayek and he truly treasured them.

The Romulan was glad that Tess hadn't been upset at his solo decision to change his name. Choosing one's name was a very personal thing and not taken lightly. At least for most Romulans.  Tess seemed to be aware of this, since she commented on it, as they reached the door to their quarters.

Pausing at the door, Rayek turned to regard his wife.  Had he never spoken of this before? That was surprising to him but it was possible that he had just assumed she knew.

"Yes, my people can be very superstitious - some believing that names have power, and that if your enemy knows your true name they can affect their 'luck'.  So they name themselves and then never tell anyone what their true name is."

Rayek gave a scoffing chuckle at this.  "As I don't believe in luck, I've never felt the need to choose such a name for myself.  But an honoring name, I can see the value in."  he stated.

Rayek then reached out his hand to unlock their quarters.  The door to their quarters slid open revealing the livingroom and kitchen areas.  There on the floor, playing with some colorful learning blocks, was Fvienn - and both elder Ba'ku uncles, while his sister Kemala sat alone at the dining table observing the trio.  While it was always a delight to see the two Ba'ku men connecting with their nephew - currently by laying belly down beside him as Fvienn happily attempted to place block on top of block at their promptings - Rayek was a little concerned to see his sister seemingly left out.  Her body language was one that Rayek was rather familiar with - distrustful. 

It was going to take some time for his sister to come around and accept all the members of the Ba'ku family that Rayek had gained, he knew that.  He just hoped that she wouldn't miss to much bonding time with Fvienn while she avoided and assessed the others.

"We're home!" he called needlessly as all heads had turned towards the door as it opened.

[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Sickbay] (evening)

After leaving the briefing room, Telmuk made his way down to the medical area to see if he would be allowed to visit the recently awoken Romulan pilot, tr'Movel.   Earlier that afternoon while doing a cursory visit to the bridge while he knew from their usual schedule that Rayek and Tess would be having lunch together, Telmuk did a quick scan of the bridge crew's thoughts to see what new developments might be happening.  Most had their thoughts on their task of seeking the astrocetus - in hopes that it might lead to a means of opening the wormhole.  But one Romulan operations cadet had her thoughts on something completely different.  She'd been pondering the ability of telepathy... and her father's concern about it with regard to her younger brother. 

This of course caught his interest.  If there was another with the telepathic ability, surely his Tal'Shiar superiors would want to know.

Telmuk had immediately left the Bridge then to head to the family crew quarters where he knew the s'Movel's stayed.   There he briefly stopped by to offer the Embassies felicitations at the news of Lared's improved condition.  While he met with Phara, who politely offered the affable Rhienn to come in and have tea, Telmuk searched her tired and distracted thoughts.  She was clearly worried about something and it took only a slight prompt commenting on her state for the woman to bring to mind the issue but then answer that it was nothing, just too many long nights at her husband's bedside. 

Telmuk was alarmed that the issue turned out not to be her son having telepathic ability but that Rayek was seeking answers to the shuttle's explosion via some memory in tr'Movel's mind.  That Lared was against this was a good thing but Telmuk couldn't risk the man being coerced by the Starfleet Captain or his brother Rayek.

Which is what brought him to the Medbay now.  Unfortunately, not being a family member was proving to be an issue.

"I simply wish to extend the well-wishes of the Embassy to one of our own." he remarked in a friendly tone to the nurse who was blocking his way.  She appeared human and her mind was rather open, so Telmuk risked applying a bit of mental influence by activating the woman's mesocorticolimbic circuit to help encourage her to let him through. 

"I'll only be a moment." he assured her.  A few minutes would be all he needed to search through tr'Movel's mind, find the memory in question and either alter it or completely destroy it. 

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2022, 01:15:53 pm »

The interrogation of Taheen t'Raghaellh hadn't produced the results Telmuk had been hoping for in regards to tr'Dhael's identity.  Yet while that had been a failure, on the topic of his own brother Rayek, Telmuk could tell by Taheen's thoughts that the seeds for another attempt on his life had been planted.   A few more meetings with her to go over her options and Telmuk was certain his persona Rhienn would be able to sway her to follow through on her impulse to take back what was due her.  He smiled wide.  This would so make up for Rayek's surviving the shuttle explosion.

As Kemala had hoped, her emotional ultimatum - that she was done answering the Free State Ambassador's questions - wasn't countered.  The Ambassador mustn't be aware that her brother had already awoke and was past the critical stage, or he likely would have held her back.  It didn't cross her mind at all that the Ambassador had waited until Rayek was deemed out of danger before calling her to this meeting.  She just figured all bureaucracies were slow in reacting to new situations.  That she, Latihk and Taheen were only interviewed a day after arriving- Kemala thought was rather efficient for a government agency.

But now that she was free of the questions, she returned to Sickbay to keep her brother company during his recovery.  Even during their youth, Rayek had never done well with bedrest and it seemed to his sister that hadn't changed.

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 6 - s'Lhoell Quarters] (next morning)

The evening with his sister and Tess' elder brothers went well, even if Kemala was a bit distant from the others.   Given the impromptu family gathering, Rayek regretted his punishment to Benjin included being confided to quarters... otherwise he would have invited the young man to join them.   With hopes of 'prepping' Rahul for his new surprise, Rayek guided the evenings talk towards the topic of horticulture and comparing Romulan practices to Ba'ku traditions.   The discussion garnered lots of interest from all participants.  Rayek even found he was looking forward to perhaps starting a small hobby garden on their property on Meridan.

By the time, their guests left Fvienn was already asleep, which allowed Rayek and Tess a bit of quality time together.  Morning came all too quickly for the amorous pair.

[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Sickbay] (evening)

"I'll only be a moment." Telmuk assured the nurse.  A few minutes would be all he needed to search through tr'Movel's mind, find the memory in question and either alter it or completely destroy it.

[USS Amalthea - Deck 6 - temporary Ambassadorial office] (next morning)

Telmuk was in a foul mood that next morning.  Not only had his attempt to search tr'Movel's mind for any proof of his involvement in the shuttle explosion not happened because of the untimely arrival of the ship's Beta shift doctor - one Doctor Fuller; but also that same Doctor had been far too observant of him.  Rayek discovered this when he chose to invade the doctor's mind - intending to sway 'her' thoughts like he had the female nurse.   What resulted however was his mind's almost immediate retreat at the revelation that the doctor had no binary gender.   This was inconceivable to Telmuk's strict and orderly Romulan mind.  His mind rejected the notion and broke off contact, leaving the Romulan a bit shaken.  Added onto this was that the doctor's surface thoughts at the time had been of how much the Romulan Aide reminded them of Commander Rayek!  The attraction he read there was alarming to Telmuk and he must have blanched for the next words out of the doctor's mouth was that he should come them to a biobed and get checked​ over.  Telmuk couldn't risk that.  He declined and hurriedly had left the Medical bay.

That had been 12 hours ago, with any luck that doctor's shift should be long done by now.  Telmuk intended to try visiting with tr'Movel again this morning as soon as Ambassador Jarok was done with his Aide, Rhienn.   

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2022, 01:38:55 pm »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - s'Lhoell quarters]

Tess stirred slowly from her sleep. Her hair was loose and she wore a tank top and comfortable shorts. Her eyes fluttered open before she slowly rolled on her back with a yawn. She remained there for a moment longer with her eyes closed again. Only then did she become aware that she had woken on her own ... not by Fvienn's crying. Forcind her eyes open again she sat up and looked around, still drowsy.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2022, 11:35:08 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 6 - s'Lhoell quarters]

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess stirred slowly from her sleep. Her hair was loose and she wore a tank top and comfortable shorts. Her eyes fluttered open before she slowly rolled on her back with a yawn. She remained there for a moment longer with her eyes closed again. Only then did she become aware that she had woken on her own ... not by Fvienn's crying. Forcing her eyes open again she sat up and looked around, still drowsy.

Light-sleeper that he was, Rayek felt Tess shift her position beside him.  His hair, as was typical after amorous night, was tousled.  The Romulan wore a pair of comfortable fitting boxer shorts - a concession over his usual preferred lack of attire.  He turned his gaze towards his wife and smiled at her drowsy expression.  By the Elements, even half asleep she was captivating.

"Good morning e'lev.   Seems Fvienn slept through the night again." he commented.  It wasn't exactly a first, but it definitely was notable.   It seemed their son had his habit of sleeping lightly, and was just learning to self-soothe   

Rayek sat up and leaned towards Tess to kiss her.  "I'll get started on breakfast while you shower and dress" he offered after having properly greeted his wife.  He got out of bed and picked up the baby monitor.

"If Fvienn wakes before you are done, I'll feed him some rice cereal."  At just over 9 months, Fvienn was near fully weaned.  He ate a wide variety of cereals and mashed fruits.  His cries for comfort could be soothed now by 'Daddy' just as often and as effectively as by 'Mommy'.  It was just those times that he was teething badly that had their son inconsolable except by the breast - that too soon would be replaced.  Their son was growing up! 

Rayek didn't bother putting on pants or a shirt - he would do so after his turn at the shower.  For now he padded bare-foot and bare-chested out through the bedroom door towards the kitchen to begin making from replicated ingredients their morning meal.   

Normally, Tess preferred something light.  So today he thought to make crepes with whipped cream and 'fresh' berries.

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2022, 01:44:16 pm »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

"Yes, seems that way", Tess commented still sleepy and her face broke out into a happy smile when he kissed her. "Good morning." She rolled on her back to get another minute or two of rest while Rayek got out of bed and shared his plans with her.

"Sounds good to me. Thank you, ciccino." She looked after him and then eventually rolled out of bed as well to get ready.

The shower was nice and she got dressed in her uniform. Quietly, she sneaked into Fvienn's bedroom to check on him. He was still sleeping soundly. Tess smiled as she peered into the tiny bed for a moment longer, then she joined Rayek in the living room. "Fvienn is still sleeping. Let's leave him sleeping until after breakfast", she smiled.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2022, 11:52:12 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

"Yes, seems that way", Tess commented still sleepy and her face broke out into a happy smile when he kissed her. "Good morning." She rolled on her back to get another minute or two of rest while Rayek got out of bed and shared his plans with her.

"Sounds good to me. Thank you, ciccino." She looked after him and then eventually rolled out of bed as well to get ready.

The shower was nice and she got dressed in her uniform. Quietly, she sneaked into Fvienn's bedroom to check on him. He was still sleeping soundly. Tess smiled as she peered into the tiny bed for a moment longer, then she joined Rayek in the living room. "Fvienn is still sleeping. Let's leave him sleeping until after breakfast", she smiled.

From their quarter's replicator, Rayek retrieved the flour, eggs, water, milk, salt and butter for the crepe batter, as well as sweeten whipped cream and an assortment of 'fresh' berries for its filling.  He prepped his work surface, laid out the ingredients in a orderly manner,  gathered the necessary tools and lastly began warming the griddle. 

Once ready, Rayek mixed the flour and eggs first, then gradually added the water and milk while stirring.  All the while though, Rayek was careful not to over mix the batter.  Too much stirring would cause the gluten in the flour to make the crepes rubbery.   

Over the past year, Rayek had discovered the perfect recipe and technique for crepes.  It never failed to please.  Lastly he added the salt and melted butter.  No sooner was that mixed then he pour a measured amount onto his preheated griddle. He was quick to spread the batter even over its surface as it began to cook.

By this time, he could hear on the monitor that Tess was in the shower.  The Romulan husband fantasized a moment of putting aside breakfast and surprising her there.  But the beep of his timer drew him from his sensuous thoughts, and he instead flipped the crepe.  Once that was done he set it aside on a warming plate to keep it from getting cold, and then started on the second of the four masterpieces that his batter would make.

Rayek had just poured the last of the batter onto the griddle to make the fourth crepe when he heard Tess come out of the bedroom.  He looked over as she approached and he smiled back at her.   Even in uniform she was desirable.

"Sounds good to me."  Rayek nodded in agreement to Tess' suggestion to leave their son sleep, then began adding the whipped cream and berries onto the crepes.

"But only until after breakfast, I don't want to us to miss our opportunity to spend quality time together as a family."

Rayek knew that given their positions as Captain and First Officer, that they didn't have a whole lot of time to devote solely to their son; mornings were precious in that respect. 

"Breakfast is served!" he announced holding up the plate of crepes and carrying them over to the table that he had set up earlier. "What would you care to drink?  Coffee, klah, OJ or tea?"

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2022, 12:23:59 am »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess sat down and looked over the arrangement for breakfast, the whipped cream and berries, and the at the plate of crepe Rayek carried to the table.

"Delicious." She smiled and put one of the crepes on Rayek's plate first, then on hers. "Tea for me, please", she replied to his question. Her mind wandered to work. "What's our schedule for today?", she asked as she reached for the bowl of whipped cream and spread some of it onto her crepe before sprinkling it with a variety of berries.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2022, 09:24:36 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess sat down and looked over the arrangement for breakfast, the whipped cream and berries, and the at the plate of crepe Rayek carried to the table.

"Delicious." She smiled and put one of the crepes on Rayek's plate first, then on hers. "Tea for me, please", she replied to his question. Her mind wandered to work. "What's our schedule for today?", she asked as she reached for the bowl of whipped cream and spread some of it onto her crepe before sprinkling it with a variety of berries.

Rayek had already boiled a kettle of water for his own Chai tea.  As such there was enough hot water left over for a cup of tea for Tess as well.   He replicated her a cup and teabag then poured the boiled water into the cup with teabag within for the tea to steep before returning to the table.  He set her tea by her plate and sat down as she asked about their schedule.

Being the ship's executive officer meant that Rayek was the funnel of information up to the Captain so that she had all she needed to make critical decisions regarding the running of the ship at any point in time; being her husband meant that he organized that information in the most efficient manner possible so that her time wasn't wasted and they could spend more time as a family. 

Normally, he preferred not to 'talk shop' during the morning meal since usually Tess or he would be busy seeing to Fvienn.  But with Fvienn still asleep, Tess' query was sound.  This was the opportune time to fill her in on the business of the ship.   

While Tess, spread whipped cream and berries onto her crepe, Rayek reached for his PADD and opened up the day's calendar.    Tess, of course, was scheduled for Alpha shift as was protocol. 

"Your schedule begins at 0700 hrs."  It was 06:30 presently.  "First thing after relieving the Gamma shift duty officer is a department head meeting at 07:15 to go over new developments and priorities.  We should get updates from Ops on their attempts at contacting the astrocetus, and engineering on their continued investigation into the shuttle explosion."   

Rayek paused here a moment, setting down his PADD so that he could receive the whipped cream bowl from Tess and slather on a thick layer of the dairy confection.  Numerous sliced strawberries followed that, after which Rayek rolled the crepe carefully before cutting the roll into neatly orderly pieces. 

Then with fork in one hand and PADD in the other Rayek continued his listing off of Tess' schedule. "At 0900, I have set aside an hour for you to have time in your office to review and sign off on the departmental reports and -"  Rayek's words were interrupted by a call on their quarter's intercom.

=/\= "Sickbay to Commander tr'Lhoell." =/\=  Rayek recognized the voice on the other end of the call as being that of Ensign Fuller.   

Rayek looked to Tess in mild concern as to the topic of the call.  Had Tess' father's condition worsened?  But then why call for him and not her?  Rayek set the PADD down close to Tess so that she could continue reviewing her schedule.  He then stood up and walked over to the wall display and intercom to answer the call.

=/\= "Commander tr'Lhoell here.  Go ahead, Ensign" =/\= Rayek responded, then listened attentively for the reason he had been called prior to the start of his shift.

=/\= "Sorry to call you so early, sir; but patient Ensign tr'Movel just woke up and is insisting to see you as soon as possible." =/\= they informed him.

Oh? Rayek could think of only one reason why the flight officer would call on him - Lared had recalled something.  This was excellent news!  But before Rayek could respond and let the medical officer know that he would be right down, Fuller continued speaking. 

=/\= "He says to tell you - he's changed his decision but that you better get it done now before he changes his mind again." =/\= 

Both of Rayek's eyebrows shot up in surprise at that relayed message. The only decision that this could be in reference to was Tess' request to allow Rayek to search his memories for the error code he'd seen on the display panel prior to the explosion.  A request that Lared had initially been unwilling to consider.  That had now changed.   Rayek's reluctance however hadn't, but if Lared was willing, Rayek would follow through because this was what Tess said she needed.   He just hoped she and Lared would both forgive him afterwards.

=/\="Ensign Fuller, please inform Ensign tr'Movel that I will on my way."=/\=

Rayek looked to his wife.  "I supposed I should get dressed and head on down to the med bay.  Depending on how long much resistance his mind puts up, I may not make it to today's briefing.  I'll report back to you once we're done."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:08:37 pm by Rayek tr'Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2022, 01:04:57 pm »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Other than Rayek who cut his crepe into neat pieces, Tess took up the rolled crepe as a whole and bit into its end ... making the whipped cream oozing out a little in the process, which she shrugged off with a little grin.

She listened to what Rayek told her when the call came in. She shared a concerned look with him and then scrolled with a finger over Rayek's PADD while he went to go and answer the call, to which Tess listened while she looked at the schedule. To hear that Lared had changed his mind was good. She glanced over to Rayek as he informed her that he would go right away. She nodded. "Yes, I think that's a good idea. Don't worry about the briefing, I'll be able to handle it." She smiled, unaware that she had a little bit of whipped cream smeared at the corner of her mouth.
Tess' biography