Author Topic: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?  (Read 790 times)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Experienced Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2022, 08:58:07 AM »

NPC Cadet Benjin Moreno (Flight)
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - XO's office]

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

While Rayek's words had been intended to prompt a response, Benjin's outburst once again surprised the Romulan with its vehemence (not that the glare from the cadet was worrisome in its threat).  Perhaps Rayek had been a bit too harsh?   Rayek's personal goal was to build a good relationship with his wife's family.  Insulting her younger brother's feelings by calling them laughable was obviously not the best way to accomplish that; but then it had its desired effect - Benjin was talking honestly now. 

But so much of Benjin's outburst was contradictory to the truth.

"What would you have had us do to prevent such accusations and taunts? Order them to stop?" Rayek questioned pointedly.

"By getting involved in the squabbles of the junior ranks, Tess or I would be doing exactly as your accusers think - treat you differently." he stated with reasoned calmness, as he unfolded his arms and leaned his backside against the desk behind him, while regarding Benjin seated in front of him.

"I have already explained the mishandling of your reprimand - something that will not happen again now that I am out of Sickbay once more - and have already pointed out that these one on one talks happen to any of the crew as needed.  Tess and I agreed when we first were selecting who from Katra would fill the Amalthea's roster, that you and your father both - as family, were not to receive special treatment on the job.  And we've kept to that.  That others make assumption of favoritism is not something we can control; but did anticipate.  We expected this lie be realized by the rest of the crew quickly.  However, your behavior and its mishandling over the past month has proved problematic."

Rayek didn't want to point fingers but couldn't help but wish Benjin had just shown up for his shift on time as he was supposed to.  Yet one thing above all bothered Rayek more than anything else, with what Benjin said.

"And most importantly, we have never ostracized you.  Yes, we are busy - but it has been you who has opted out of participating when Tess and I have found the time to come together with your brothers and your father.  You have chosen to distance yourself from us - likely trying to avoid the gossip of your peers.  It is not us ignoring you."

"I don't know!", Benjin replied, very clearly frustrated. "I don't know what I wanted you to do!" He really didn't. It might be very as frustrating for Rayek as it was for Benjin. The young man was in a dilemma. He wished his family's attention, but also didn't feel free to talk about his problems because he felt distanced from them.

Which Rayek then made a topic of discussion.

Benjin looked up at Rayek as he leaned against the desk. At his brother-in-law's words, the Ba'ku snorted a disdainful laugh. "I just don't see the point in sitting with you and are being made to feel like an alien. All they talk about is Ba'ku. Ba'ku, Ba'ku, Ba'ku, I can't hear it anymore. What is so great about it?" He didn't even speak the language, unlike his siblings. He had a UT, but sometimes he felt like certain expressions didn't come across accurately and he missed jokes or references.
And he missed his dad so much, but he didn't dare to even go there. Fabiano's injury and current state was an extremely hard blow for Benjin and he had not found a way to cope with it yet.

He looked down, trying to avoid Rayek noticing that he actually was on the verge of tears. He wasn't sure what Romulan culture said about men crying. Rayek must probably think that he was pathetic, if he didn't already think that.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Sickbay]

NPC Phara t'Movel and NPC Ensign Lared tr'Movel

Lared nodded his agreement; but even as he did so he felt his eyes getting heavy.   He'd already reached the limit of his wakefulness.   "Of course, Captain. I understand.  I know that the explosion was no accident..." 

Lared's eyes drifted shut.  Phara looked to the Captain worriedly and clutched at her husband's hand.   "Is he okay?"

Tess was alert when Lared stated that he knew that the explosion wasn't an accident. But before she could get more information from him, Lared drifted back to sleep. As much as she would like to get the details now, it was better to let him rest some more.

Catching Phara's concerned glance towards her, Tess rested a hand on the Romulan woman's shoulder. "He is just still very exhausted. He's sleeping." She gave her another smile. "He is going to be fine." He didn't have any neurological damages, as far as Tess could see now. That was very good news. And he even remembered the incident. It seemed like they had a streak of luck, for once.
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr’Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2022, 03:26:23 PM »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

"I don't know!", Benjin replied, very clearly frustrated. "I don't know what I wanted you to do!" He really didn't. It might be very as frustrating for Rayek as it was for Benjin. The young man was in a dilemma. He wished his family's attention, but also didn't feel free to talk about his problems because he felt distanced from them.

Which Rayek then made a topic of discussion.

Benjin looked up at Rayek as he leaned against the desk. At his brother-in-law's words, the Ba'ku snorted a disdainful laugh. "I just don't see the point in sitting with you and are being made to feel like an alien. All they talk about is Ba'ku. Ba'ku, Ba'ku, Ba'ku, I can't hear it anymore. What is so great about it?" He didn't even speak the language, unlike his siblings. He had a UT, but sometimes he felt like certain expressions didn't come across accurately and he missed jokes or references.
And he missed his dad so much, but he didn't dare to even go there. Fabiano's injury and current state was an extremely hard blow for Benjin and he had not found a way to cope with it yet.

He looked down, trying to avoid Rayek noticing that he actually was on the verge of tears. He wasn't sure what Romulan culture said about men crying. Rayek must probably think that he was pathetic, if he didn't already think that.

That Benjin was clueless as to what he actually wanted from Rayek as a superior wasn't surprising.   But it meant that misunderstandings would likely continue.  If the cadet couldn't express more clearly how the situation could be improved then perhaps questioning others would provide answer.  Rayek made a mental note to speak to some of the other crew regarding this issue later.   For now, all Rayek could do was address the problem with his best judgement. 

As the discussion moved on to a more personal note, Rayek watched Benjin closely to see how he reacted.  The disdain he observed from Tess' youngest brother regarding Ba'ku culture was interesting.  He wondered what they stemmed from. 

"Not all discussion is about Ba'ku though I suppose when Rah'ul and Tamon'ar first arrived it may have seemed that way.   Tess and I want Fvienn to be exposed to all of the various cultures that his heritage opens him to - Ba'ku, Romulan and Earth alike.  I will point out however, that you aren't the only one who is outside much of the discussion."  Clearly, Rayek was the most 'alien' of them all.  "But it appears our level of interest differs greatly.  While I make no judgement on your decision, I do wonder why you don't wish to know more about the culture you would have experienced had you not been adopted by Fabiano." he mildly pointed out his own curiosity.   

"Would you come if Tess and I had the next family dinner be an Italian or typically Earth meal?  I could gently guide the discussion to topics that you could participate in..." Rayek offered.  "Perhaps there is a particular meal that you know how to cook that you could join in the prep of?"  Rayek found that for him and Tess the meal prep was a large part of their enjoyment.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess was alert when Lared stated that he knew that the explosion wasn't an accident. But before she could get more information from him, Lared drifted back to sleep. As much as she would like to get the details now, it was better to let him rest some more.

Catching Phara's concerned glance towards her, Tess rested a hand on the Romulan woman's shoulder. "He is just still very exhausted. He's sleeping." She gave her another smile. "He is going to be fine." He didn't have any neurological damages, as far as Tess could see now. That was very good news. And he even remembered the incident. It seemed like they had a streak of luck, for once.

Phara smiled gratefully to Tess at her positive words.  "Thank you -  for all that you and Dr. Padrini have done for him."  She glanced back to her husband.  "I suppose I should go check on the kids and let them know the good news, while he's resting.  Do you mind if I ask a favor?  Would you stay close until I return?  I don't want him to wake to find himself alone..." 

Then realizing that she was asking this of the ship's Captain, Phara looked apologetic.  "Oh! Nevermind, Captain.  You must be busy.  I'll ask a nurse to sit with him."  She gave a slight bow in apology.
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Experienced Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2022, 08:57:43 AM »

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

That Benjin was clueless as to what he actually wanted from Rayek as a superior wasn't surprising.   But it meant that misunderstandings would likely continue.  If the cadet couldn't express more clearly how the situation could be improved then perhaps questioning others would provide answer.  Rayek made a mental note to speak to some of the other crew regarding this issue later.   For now, all Rayek could do was address the problem with his best judgement. 

As the discussion moved on to a more personal note, Rayek watched Benjin closely to see how he reacted.  The disdain he observed from Tess' youngest brother regarding Ba'ku culture was interesting.  He wondered what they stemmed from. 

"Not all discussion is about Ba'ku though I suppose when Rah'ul and Tamon'ar first arrived it may have seemed that way.   Tess and I want Fvienn to be exposed to all of the various cultures that his heritage opens him to - Ba'ku, Romulan and Earth alike.  I will point out however, that you aren't the only one who is outside much of the discussion."  Clearly, Rayek was the most 'alien' of them all.  "But it appears our level of interest differs greatly.  While I make no judgement on your decision, I do wonder why you don't wish to know more about the culture you would have experienced had you not been adopted by Fabiano." he mildly pointed out his own curiosity.

Benjin briefly glanced Rayek's way when he remarked that he wasn't the only one outside of the discussion. Yes, Rayek didn't understand. When asked for the reason, Benjin's eyes shifted away from his brother-in-law to stare ahead of him at the bulkhead opposide him. It took him a moment to figure out how to put his point of view into words. It was a struggle and he was afraid that Rayek wouldn't have appreciation for it either.

"Why would I want to know more? They're a backward people who keep their citizens from progressing and developing to a better life. And if some of them choose to pick a different life, they will be exiled and expelled. Punished with silence." He had seen how much Tess had suffered from the time Rah'ul had chosen to ignore his sister. For what? Because she wanted to become a doctor? For learning and using modern technology to help people? No. Benjin didn't want anything to do with them. Especially not with his brother. That's why it hurt him even more that he felt so excluded from them, Tess seemed to relish to talk and hear about all those memories. Something he couldn't provide.

"Would you come if Tess and I had the next family dinner be an Italian or typically Earth meal?  I could gently guide the discussion to topics that you could participate in..." Rayek offered.  "Perhaps there is a particular meal that you know how to cook that you could join in the prep of?"  Rayek found that for him and Tess the meal prep was a large part of their enjoyment.

Benjin snorted. "I doubt Rah'ul would want to hear about that." All he cared about was his Ba'ku. Ben'jin often wondered why he had agreed to leave his home in the first place.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Phara smiled gratefully to Tess at her positive words.  "Thank you -  for all that you and Dr. Padrini have done for him."  She glanced back to her husband.  "I suppose I should go check on the kids and let them know the good news, while he's resting.  Do you mind if I ask a favor?  Would you stay close until I return?  I don't want him to wake to find himself alone..." 

Then realizing that she was asking this of the ship's Captain, Phara looked apologetic.  "Oh! Nevermind, Captain.  You must be busy.  I'll ask a nurse to sit with him."  She gave a slight bow in apology.

Tess responded to Phara's thanks with a smile. At her subsequent question, Tess hesitated. It wasn't that she wouldn't do that for her friend. She would be happy to help her anytime. But she really had a lot to do. The Romulan woman seemed to guess her thoughts and offered to have a nurse looking after Lared.

"I'm sorry, Phara, I wish I could. But I too think it would be better for him if he woke up to someone he knows. Why don't you ask Karinne to sit with him while you speak to your children?" She thought for a moment. "I can pull Tordel off shift for today so she can spend the time with her family", she offered.
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr’Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2022, 11:47:07 PM »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Benjin briefly glanced Rayek's way when he remarked that he wasn't the only one outside of the discussion. Yes, Rayek didn't understand. When asked for the reason, Benjin's eyes shifted away from his brother-in-law to stare ahead of him at the bulkhead opposite him. It took him a moment to figure out how to put his point of view into words. It was a struggle and he was afraid that Rayek wouldn't have appreciation for it either.

"Why would I want to know more? They're a backward people who keep their citizens from progressing and developing to a better life. And if some of them choose to pick a different life, they will be exiled and expelled. Punished with silence." He had seen how much Tess had suffered from the time Rah'ul had chosen to ignore his sister. For what? Because she wanted to become a doctor? For learning and using modern technology to help people? No. Benjin didn't want anything to do with them. Especially not with his brother. That's why it hurt him even more that he felt so excluded from them, Tess seemed to relish to talk and hear about all those memories. Something he couldn't provide.

Benjin snorted. "I doubt Rah'ul would want to hear about that." All he cared about was his Ba'ku. Ben'jin often wondered why he had agreed to leave his home in the first place.

It seemed from Benjin's expression that the Earth raised cadet thought little of Rayek's attempt to share the feeling of being left out; and when questioned about why he didn't wish to learn more, Benjin's eyes looked away and focused on the wall behind Rayek's desk.  Because of this, Rayek was not expecting an answer and so began to turn away to return to his seat where he would merely record the punishment the cadet had earned. 

It was then that Benjin spoke and Rayek paused looking back to the young man.  Benjin's explanation and description of his own people was not flattering in the least.  But Rayek could appreciate and understand where his words were coming from.  There was no doubt that Tess had been unfairly shunned by her brother Rah'ul.  Yet Rayek had seen how the two middle siblings had grown closer since the wedding.. and even more so since Fvienn's birth.   It was clear that though the Rah'ul was uncomfortable with change and all the technology around them, especially being stuck on this side of the Gamma Quadrant, the Ba'ku raised middle brother was making the most of the time to reconnect - with at least his sister.

Remaining standing at the corner of his desk, Rayek sought to acknowledge Benjin's answer while at the same time offering a different perspective. "Yes, I understand, and I won't attempt to make excuses for your brother Rah'ul's past choices.  I will say that from what I've seen - he's come to realize how poor a decision his silence has been."  Rayek paused before pointing out a fact.  "He's here now - having crossed two quadrants to be here for you and your sister in an attempt to cross that distance he created.  But it's not something he can do alone - the 'bridge' requires support from both sides or it will collapse."  He interlocked his fingers connecting his two hands together to visualize his bridge metaphor. 

"The same is true for your eldest brother Tamon'ar - he made poor choices as a youth... to sabotage his own people.  That's why he and the others were exiled, they chose violence over peaceful discussion and resolution of their problem.  It took the Son'a a second failed attack on your people before your brother realized his mistake."  Yes, perhaps Rayek was over simplifying the situation but sometimes simplicity got to the point quicker. 

"As for whether Rah'ul will care for the topic of discussion, or the overall theme for the planned Italian dinner, that is entirely up to him.   But he might surprise you. He has been open-minded enough to come to a Romulan dinner and joined in the conversation as I shared with Tamon'ar and Tess about my home planet."  That had been the evening he'd also broached the two elder brothers about his gift (Benjin and Fabiano already knew).. so it hadn't been the perfect evening, but the meal and dinner conversation had been a delight. 

"So we'll make plans to get together AFTER your disciplinary action."

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess responded to Phara's thanks with a smile. At her subsequent question, Tess hesitated. It wasn't that she wouldn't do that for her friend. She would be happy to help her anytime. But she really had a lot to do. The Romulan woman seemed to guess her thoughts and offered to have a nurse looking after Lared.

"I'm sorry, Phara, I wish I could. But I too think it would be better for him if he woke up to someone he knows. Why don't you ask Karinne to sit with him while you speak to your children?" She thought for a moment. "I can pull Tordel off shift for today so she can spend the time with her family", she offered.

Phara smiled at Tess' suggestion.  "I think the idea of having Karinne sit with Lared is a wonderful idea!  Thank you for that and for the offer to pull Tordel off shift, but that really isn't necessary.  Now that my husband is out of the coma, Tordel will be able to visit with him when she's not working."  The Romulan woman was constantly being amazed by how generous and kindly the Federation treated it's people. 

From her bag, Phara retrieved her communicator - a gift from the s'Lhoell's so that she could keep in easy contact with her family while she was caring for their son, Fvienn.  She used it now to call Karinne to bring the children to the Medical Bay waiting room. 
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Experienced Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2022, 01:15:39 PM »

NPC Cadet Ben'jin Moreno (Flight)

The young man failed to hide the scepticism from his face as Rayek tried to assure him of Rah'ul's genuine intentions and attempts to reconcile with his family. Maybe that was true regarding Tess. But in regards to him, he felt his older brother didn't really seek a connection to him. Was he maybe making himself unapproachable? Ben'jin glanced at Rayek's gesture of the bridge. It was easier said than done.

Tamo'nar on the other hand Ben'jin knew that he was the hesitant one regarding him. He secretly held some fascination for the Son'a's history and story but he was too shy to ask his brother about it. Even the fact that this 'old man' was his brother was hard for the Ba'ku to grasp.

His attention then returned to Rayek as he spoke of how accepting and participating Rah'ul had been when having been invited to a Romulan dinner. Somehow Ben'jin was reluctant to believe that. He shrugged hesitantly and finally replied to Rayek's suggestion of planning a get together for an Italian dinner. "Sure, we can do that", he said quietly. Dad surely would have loved that, too. Would he be able to be there, too? He missed him so much.

Hearing Rayek returning to the topic of the disciplinary action that awaited Ben'jin, the Ba'ku took a small breath in and exhaled it adubily. "Yes. Of course." While he waited for Rayek to tell him how he would punish him, Ben'jin sat there, numb to his own feelings. He wasn't sure how he should feel now. While he should have reason to be relieved he also felt confused and stirred up inwardly.

Tess' biography

Rayek tr’Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2022, 01:25:38 AM »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

The young man failed to hide the skepticism from his face as Rayek tried to assure him of Rah'ul's genuine intentions and attempts to reconcile with his family. Maybe that was true regarding Tess. But in regards to him, he felt his older brother didn't really seek a connection to him. Was he maybe making himself unapproachable? Ben'jin glanced at Rayek's gesture of the bridge. It was easier said than done.

Tamo'nar on the other hand Ben'jin knew that he was the hesitant one regarding him. He secretly held some fascination for the Son'a's history and story but he was too shy to ask his brother about it. Even the fact that this 'old man' was his brother was hard for the Ba'ku to grasp.

His attention then returned to Rayek as he spoke of how accepting and participating Rah'ul had been when having been invited to a Romulan dinner. Somehow Ben'jin was reluctant to believe that. He shrugged hesitantly and finally replied to Rayek's suggestion of planning a get together for an Italian dinner. "Sure, we can do that", he said quietly. Dad surely would have loved that, too. Would he be able to be there, too? He missed him so much.

Hearing Rayek returning to the topic of the disciplinary action that awaited Ben'jin, the Ba'ku took a small breath in and exhaled it audibly. "Yes. Of course." While he waited for Rayek to tell him how he would punish him, Ben'jin sat there, numb to his own feelings. He wasn't sure how he should feel now. While he should have reason to be relieved he also felt confused and stirred up inwardly.

When Benjin agreed to the Italian dinner suggestion, Rayek nodded - glad for at least that slight victory.  Tess would be happy to hear that her youngest brother would attend. 

But before that Rayek needed to show to Benjin and the rest of the crew that there was no exceptions to the rules and that all actions had consequences. 

Rayek turned and walked back to sit at his desk.  He opened his PADD to look over Benjin's file once more. Doing so for close to a minute - he did this to build tension and have Benjin think and worry about what the penalty might be.     

"As your tardiness was not addressed previously, I have decided to consider it as a singular occurrence, rather 10 separate disciplinary occurrences.   My assumption being that this tardiness will stop now that we have addressed the issue.  If it doesn't - then you may well find yourself back on Katra or perhaps New Bajor." Rayek remarked looking up to fix Benjin with a hard stare.   

"So this is your first warning... however, as this occurrence has resulted in nearly 10 hrs of lost time, I will be disciplining to a more severe extent than if it was your first time." Rayek explained, as he mentally reviewed the disciplinary options available to him.

"Until such time as you work off, through extra duty, an equivalent number of hours as those missed, you will be restricted to quarters except for work or extra duty.  All meals will be taken in your quarters until extra duty is done.  Extra duty will consist of menial labor."  It was a standard punishment on many civilized worlds and acceptable to Starfleet.  "While scrubbing the hull with a toothbrush is one I have experienced myself, it was not at all productive.  Instead, you will be shoveling dirt."  Rayek thought that was so appropriate.  He'd have Benjin lay out the dirt for Rah'ul's garden.

"I was going to have the cargo bay transporters beam the soil directly into the room, but I think having you haul it a wheelbarrow load at a time, is far more fitting.  You'll be sent instructions once the soil is on board. You are dismissed to your quarters until your next shift."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 01:29:25 AM by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Experienced Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2022, 02:01:25 PM »

The long moment of silence did not miss its effect. Ben'jin became nervous, although he didn't think he would be punished too harshly. But one could never know. The threat to have him be transferred to back to Katra or New Bajor was probably not providing the leverage Rayek was hoping for. Inwardly, Ben'jin had toyed with the idea to ask for a transfer to another ship or back to Katra.

That he should make up for the time he had missed, the Ba'ku could understand. He could also accept that he was confined to his quarters until the time was worked off. He didn't feel like interacting with anyone here anyway. At least not at the moment.

Ben'jin was fixated on Rayek when he seemed to decide what kind of work he should do to make up for the lost hours. He had expected many things - his first thought had been unpopular shifts in the cargo bay - but what kind of work Rayek then named made Ben'jin stare at him in confusion. "Dirt?" he couldn't help but echo. Was this hazing? He was supposed to be hauling wheelbarrows full of dirt around? What for? That Rayek stated he would get further instructions as soon as the soil was on board made him suspect he wasn't going to tell him - not now, at least - what the purpose was. Briefly, Ben'jin considered asking anyway, but decided against it. He didn't want another discussion.

"Understood, Sir" he said tersely instead, and nodded. But he couldn't quite hide his confusion and negative presumption from his face.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr’Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2022, 12:41:53 AM »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

The long moment of silence did not miss its effect. Ben'jin became nervous, although he didn't think he would be punished too harshly. But one could never know. The threat to have him be transferred to back to Katra or New Bajor was probably not providing the leverage Rayek was hoping for. Inwardly, Ben'jin had toyed with the idea to ask for a transfer to another ship or back to Katra.

That he should make up for the time he had missed, the Ba'ku could understand. He could also accept that he was confined to his quarters until the time was worked off. He didn't feel like interacting with anyone here anyway. At least not at the moment.

Ben'jin was fixated on Rayek when he seemed to decide what kind of work he should do to make up for the lost hours. He had expected many things - his first thought had been unpopular shifts in the cargo bay - but what kind of work Rayek then named made Ben'jin stare at him in confusion. "Dirt?" he couldn't help but echo. Was this hazing? He was supposed to be hauling wheelbarrows full of dirt around? What for? That Rayek stated he would get further instructions as soon as the soil was on board made him suspect he wasn't going to tell him - not now, at least - what the purpose was. Briefly, Ben'jin considered asking anyway, but decided against it. He didn't want another discussion.

"Understood, Sir" he said tersely instead, and nodded. But he couldn't quite hide his confusion and negative presumption from his face.

Rayek had hoped that there might be some shock or alarm raised when he commented on transferring Benjin, but there was a definite lack of either.  This worried the Romulan.  He knew it would weigh heavily on Tess if her brother left his assignment on Amalthea due to disciplinary issues.  She would see if as a reflection on her capability as a Captain and a sister.   It took effort for Rayek to not frown after that.

When Rayek parroted the word 'dirt', Rayek considered hinting the task but felt that Benjin's apparent avoidance of his elder brother might be triggered if he pointed it out now.  There had already been far too many outbursts from the cadet.  Rayek wasn't going to risk Benjin refusing.   Benjin could find out once he was already in the mindset to work off his extra duty.

Rayek nodded back toward Benjin when the cadet acknowledged his dismissal.   It was as he nodded that he noted the small light flashing on his PADD indicating a new message.  He waited until Benjin stood up and left before opening the message from Tess.   It was brief.  No sooner had he got to the end of the missive than Rayek was up out of his chair, tucking the PADD into its holster at his back.  He headed out of his office and with his long legs quickly caught up and surpassed Benjin in the hall to reach the turbolift just before the cadet.  Rayek stepped in first, and called out "Deck 8, Sickbay".  Benjin would have to hurry if he wanted to catch the turbolift down.

Hurried footfalls announced Rayek's arrival at Sickby.  The Amalthea's First Officer arrived just as Phara was greeting her mother-in-law and children.   The Romulan woman smiled to Rayek, signs of recent crying evident on her face.  But despite the tears she had a joyous smile on her face.  "I think Tess is still in the room.  Go ahead, we'll wait." she said, settling down with her children who were excited at the prospect of seeing their father awake.

Rayek nodded his appreciation and headed to the patient ward, where Lared had spent the last month in a coma.
Unfortunately,  at first appearances, it didn't seem that Lared had woken at all.  Rayek moved up to his wife's side.

"You'd messaged that he'd come out of his coma?" he stated questioningly, looking towards Tess.

It was then that Lared, who must be a rather light sleeper, opened his eyes.  Rayek smiled at the sight, alternating back and forth between Lared and Tess a few moments, before settling on the Flight officer.

"It is good to see you awake." he remarked.

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Experienced Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2022, 02:15:43 AM »

[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Corridor]

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Rayek had hoped that there might be some shock or alarm raised when he commented on transferring Benjin, but there was a definite lack of either.  This worried the Romulan.  He knew it would weigh heavily on Tess if her brother left his assignment on Amalthea due to disciplinary issues.  She would see if as a reflection on her capability as a Captain and a sister.   It took effort for Rayek to not frown after that.

When Rayek parroted the word 'dirt', Rayek considered hinting the task but felt that Benjin's apparent avoidance of his elder brother might be triggered if he pointed it out now.  There had already been far too many outbursts from the cadet.  Rayek wasn't going to risk Benjin refusing.   Benjin could find out once he was already in the mindset to work off his extra duty.

Rayek nodded back toward Benjin when the cadet acknowledged his dismissal.   It was as he nodded that he noted the small light flashing on his PADD indicating a new message.  He waited until Benjin stood up and left before opening the message from Tess.   It was brief.  No sooner had he got to the end of the missive than Rayek was up out of his chair, tucking the PADD into its holster at his back.  He headed out of his office and with his long legs quickly caught up and surpassed Benjin in the hall to reach the turbolift just before the cadet.  Rayek stepped in first, and called out "Deck 8, Sickbay".  Benjin would have to hurry if he wanted to catch the turbolift down.

Ben'jin was deep in thought as he walked down the corridor, intending to head towards his quarters since he was confined to them as of now. He'd have a lot to think about. Rapid footsteps coming from behind him interrupted the young man in his musings. Just as he looked up and behind him did Rayek already surpassed him. Ben'jin frowned, wondering why he was in such a hurry all of a sudden when he had seemed calm and unrushed during their talk.

When Rayek reached the turbolift before him and stepped in, clearly not intending to wait for him, Ben'jin hesitated - he regarded the gap between them; if he sprinted he'd be able to make it inside before the doors closed. While he was pondering, his eyes met Rayek's for a second. The Romulan surrounded an air of straight business. Where was he even headed to? The bridge? Somewhere else? He didn't want to delay him so Ben'jin stopped and made a clear indication that he would wait. Only a second later the doors of the turbolift closed.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Hurried footfalls announced Rayek's arrival at Sickby.  The Amalthea's First Officer arrived just as Phara was greeting her mother-in-law and children.   The Romulan woman smiled to Rayek, signs of recent crying evident on her face.  But despite the tears she had a joyous smile on her face.  "I think Tess is still in the room.  Go ahead, we'll wait." she said, settling down with her children who were excited at the prospect of seeing their father awake.

Rayek nodded his appreciation and headed to the patient ward, where Lared had spent the last month in a coma.
Unfortunately,  at first appearances, it didn't seem that Lared had woken at all.  Rayek moved up to his wife's side.

"You'd messaged that he'd come out of his coma?" he stated questioningly, looking towards Tess.

It was then that Lared, who must be a rather light sleeper, opened his eyes.  Rayek smiled at the sight, alternating back and forth between Lared and Tess a few moments, before settling on the Flight officer.

"It is good to see you awake." he remarked.

Hearing footsteps behind her, Tess - while originally expecting Karinne - recognized those footsteps not belonging to the elderly Romulan woman. It rather sounded like ...

Just as she was about to turn her head to confirm her suspicion, Rayek was already at her side. She was a little surprised to see him, she had thought she'd get a message from him first. But all the better he came here directly.
At his question Tess glanced back at Lared who had dozed off again. Before she could reply, though, the Romualn pilot woke.

At Rayek's remark, Lared smiled very lightly very briefly. "I'm grateful that I am", the Romulan replied, his voice raspy and dry again. Tess stepped closer and picked up the glass of water from earlier and helped the Romulan to take a few sips of it.

"Thank you, Captain", Lared replied and Tess had the impression that he felt a little embarrassed about needing this kind of help - or rather getting it from someone else than his wife. Tess thought it might help to remind him that she originally had been a doctor. "Of course. I am happy to practice my bedside manner a bit again. That was always what I enjoyed most as a medical officer."

After Lared accepted a couple of sips more Tess looked back to Rayek. She would like him to take the lead in the questioning, since he was able to ask the more specific and pointed questions regarding the incident. "I have already informed Mr. tr'Movel that we need information from him regarding the explosion. He had agreed to to help."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr’Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2022, 10:57:44 AM »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Hearing footsteps behind her, Tess - while originally expecting Karinne - recognized those footsteps not belonging to the elderly Romulan woman. It rather sounded like ...

Just as she was about to turn her head to confirm her suspicion, Rayek was already at her side. She was a little surprised to see him, she had thought she'd get a message from him first. But all the better he came here directly.
At his question Tess glanced back at Lared who had dozed off again. Before she could reply, though, the Romualn pilot woke.

At Rayek's remark, Lared smiled very lightly very briefly. "I'm grateful that I am", the Romulan replied, his voice raspy and dry again. Tess stepped closer and picked up the glass of water from earlier and helped the Romulan to take a few sips of it.

"Thank you, Captain", Lared replied and Tess had the impression that he felt a little embarrassed about needing this kind of help - or rather getting it from someone else than his wife. Tess thought it might help to remind him that she originally had been a doctor. "Of course. I am happy to practice my bedside manner a bit again. That was always what I enjoyed most as a medical officer."

After Lared accepted a couple of sips more Tess looked back to Rayek. She would like him to take the lead in the questioning, since he was able to ask the more specific and pointed questions regarding the incident. "I have already informed Mr. tr'Movel that we need information from him regarding the explosion. He had agreed to to help."

As Tess tended to the flight officer, Rayek could understand the man's discomfort.  He too did not feel comfortable being tended by others.  He could only imagine how awkward it was when that other was your Captain (and your Captain was not also your wife).  Rayek politely kept his gaze focused on the flight officer's biobed display.  That the Romulan flight officer was fighting to stay awake was evident by his serotonin and melatonin levels which Rayek noted were far above normal.   Yet, when Tess looked to him and stated that Lared was willing to provide information for the investigation, Rayek couldn't pass up the opportunity.

"Thank you.  I'll be brief." he stated as he retrieved his PADD from its holster and set it up for audio visual recording - though he clever enough to position himself and the PADD to record not just Lared but his biobed display.   "I'll be recording your statement for review later." It wasn't quite as good as a 'lie-detector' but it would measure some readings that Rayek could use to help determine the truth of what Lared was about to say.

Once set up Rayek looked to Lared, studying the other Romulan's features and movements carefully for any telltale signs of fabrication "I need for you to recall any information you can regarding the shuttle's return trip from the Ipeah Recreational Facility"  Rayek specifically wanted to know about the pilot's actions in advance of the plasma conduit exploding but he didn't want to lead the man's comments.   

Despite his paranoid nature, Rayek didn't want to have doubts about tr'Movel - to believe him a spy - especially since the man nearly died leaving behind a wife, an elderly mother and 4 children; but sacrificing oneself for the good of the Romulan state could very well be a standard expectation of the Tal Shiar - it had certainly been expected in the past. 

One disturbing fact was in the month since the shuttle explosion there had been no further attempts made.  That could be due to the subtle increase in security aboard the ship... or it could be because the perpetrator had been unconscious all this time.  Rayek hoped Lared's response would clear any doubt from his mind.   It hurt to be suspicious of someone he believed he could trust.

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Experienced Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2022, 07:00:27 AM »

NPC Ensign Lared tr'Movel

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

As Tess tended to the flight officer, Rayek could understand the man's discomfort.  He too did not feel comfortable being tended by others.  He could only imagine how awkward it was when that other was your Captain (and your Captain was not also your wife).  Rayek politely kept his gaze focused on the flight officer's biobed display.  That the Romulan flight officer was fighting to stay awake was evident by his serotonin and melatonin levels which Rayek noted were far above normal.   Yet, when Tess looked to him and stated that Lared was willing to provide information for the investigation, Rayek couldn't pass up the opportunity.

"Thank you.  I'll be brief." he stated as he retrieved his PADD from its holster and set it up for audio visual recording - though he clever enough to position himself and the PADD to record not just Lared but his biobed display.   "I'll be recording your statement for review later." It wasn't quite as good as a 'lie-detector' but it would measure some readings that Rayek could use to help determine the truth of what Lared was about to say.

Once set up Rayek looked to Lared, studying the other Romulan's features and movements carefully for any telltale signs of fabrication "I need for you to recall any information you can regarding the shuttle's return trip from the Ipeah Recreational Facility"  Rayek specifically wanted to know about the pilot's actions in advance of the plasma conduit exploding but he didn't want to lead the man's comments.   

Despite his paranoid nature, Rayek didn't want to have doubts about tr'Movel - to believe him a spy - especially since the man nearly died leaving behind a wife, an elderly mother and 4 children; but sacrificing oneself for the good of the Romulan state could very well be a standard expectation of the Tal Shiar - it had certainly been expected in the past. 

One disturbing fact was in the month since the shuttle explosion there had been no further attempts made.  That could be due to the subtle increase in security aboard the ship... or it could be because the perpetrator had been unconscious all this time.  Rayek hoped Lared's response would clear any doubt from his mind.   It hurt to be suspicious of someone he believed he could trust.

Lared tried to focus on the question, but it was hard for him, to say the least. His brain felt like it was mush. The overwhelming tiredness didn't make it any easier. But he had to try. He wanted to try and be helpful.

He closed his eyes for a moment to attempt and recall the events but his memory was eluding him. While he tried to recollect his thoughts, his body took advantage of having his eyes closed and pulled his consciousness away to let him drift into sleep.

"Ensign tr'Movel", he heard a soft voice dragging him out of his sleepyness once more. His eyes opened slowly and he became aware that he had nodded off for a second. It was embarrassing. "I apologize, Captain, Commander", the Romulan said, languidly.

He saw the Captain turning away briefly befor she returned with a hypospray in her hand. "I will give you a small dose of a stimulant to make it easier for you", she explained. He nodded his acceptance and then felt the coolness of the device at his neck.

He instantly felt the effect of the stimulant but it took another second until he was able ot think clearly. He looked to Rayek, who had asked the question. "I had orders to pursue the fleeing shuttle as soon as the away team was back on board." His voice cracked a little here and there. Lared lifted his gaze up as he accessed the memories. "I had plotted a pursuit course. Shortly after that, the away team reached the shuttle. The team was incomplete but we took pursuit as soon as the doors were sealed." A small coughing fit interrupted him, his throat drying out quickly from the speaking. Tess assisted him once more to drink. "Only a few seconds after we took off, the computer gave a warning signal ... a ... a plasma conduit was overloading. I tried to shut down that conduit and reroute the power, but ..." Lared stared into space for a moment. "The computer refused all the commands I was typing in, and ... then ... after that ... I don't remember anything."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr’Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2022, 01:41:53 AM »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Lared tried to focus on the question, but it was hard for him, to say the least. His brain felt like it was mush. The overwhelming tiredness didn't make it any easier. But he had to try. He wanted to try and be helpful.

He closed his eyes for a moment to attempt and recall the events but his memory was eluding him. While he tried to recollect his thoughts, his body took advantage of having his eyes closed and pulled his consciousness away to let him drift into sleep.

"Ensign tr'Movel", he heard a soft voice dragging him out of his sleepiness once more. His eyes opened slowly and he became aware that he had nodded off for a second. It was embarrassing. "I apologize, Captain, Commander", the Romulan said, languidly.

He saw the Captain turning away briefly before she returned with a hypospray in her hand. "I will give you a small dose of a stimulant to make it easier for you", she explained. He nodded his acceptance and then felt the coolness of the device at his neck.

He instantly felt the effect of the stimulant but it took another second until he was able to think clearly. He looked to Rayek, who had asked the question. "I had orders to pursue the fleeing shuttle as soon as the away team was back on board." His voice cracked a little here and there. Lared lifted his gaze up as he accessed the memories. "I had plotted a pursuit course. Shortly after that, the away team reached the shuttle. The team was incomplete but we took pursuit as soon as the doors were sealed." A small coughing fit interrupted him, his throat drying out quickly from the speaking. Tess assisted him once more to drink. "Only a few seconds after we took off, the computer gave a warning signal ... a ... a plasma conduit was overloading. I tried to shut down that conduit and reroute the power, but ..." Lared stared into space for a moment. "The computer refused all the commands I was typing in, and ... then ... after that ... I don't remember anything."

When Lared almost immediately nodded off, Rayek wondered if it might not be best to hold off until the man recovered more.  It wasn't like there was any urgency to the matter now, yet Rayek also knew that memories faded from conscious memory quickly - details were lost over time... so the sooner they questioned Ensign tr'Movel, the better. 

Tess solved the issue of the Lared dozing off by giving the fellow Romulan a mild stimulant.  Rayek nodded his appreciation to her.  Then tr'Movel looked to him and spoke; first describing his orders to pursue the fleeing shuttle and then remarking on his planned pursuit course.  As Lared spoke, Rayek noted his eye movement.

That this fellow Romulan showed all the classic signs of recalling from memory rather than fabricating an answer was a bit reassuring... until Rayek soberly realized that the man could be doing those signs on purpose to throw him off.  Rayek was trained in it, himself. 

Lared continued on, pointing out that when the away team reached the shuttle, the team was incomplete.  That was because Rayek had sent the security team on ahead when he received the call about the fleeing shuttle - only he and the two Vulcans had returned to the shuttle.  It was fortunate too, no human would have likely survived the blast.

There was a break in the Romulan pilot's oration as he coughed.  This prompted Tess to once more offer water to the man.  Rayek held off on his questions as he waited for the man to finish soothing his dry throat.  He waited; watching and listening attentively.   When Lared, resumed, it was to comment on the warning signal coming on after only a few seconds of flight.  The pilot noted it as a plasma conduit overload.   So far there was no detail that Rayek didn't already know... which was disappointing.

Lared then spoke of his actions to attempt to resolve the overload. Once more, reading his eye movement and physical signs suggested that Lared was recalling a memory of the incident rather than fabricating a lie, when he said that he attempted to shut down that conduit and reroute power.   But then Lared paused, before coming to the result of his action.   

There was something in the way that the other Romulan answered after that pause that gave Rayek the impression that Lared wasn't saying everything.  The pilots statement that the computer refused all commands was suspicious.   Rayek hoped Lared would provide more detail but that was unlikely to come about as Lared wrapped up his statement abruptly.

Rayek couldn't leave it at that.  The man's statement only spurred more questions.

"The overload, as you stated, happened mere seconds after our departure.  Were there no earlier notifications of overheating before that conduit became critical?" There should have been early warnings... did they occur earlier on and the pilot merely ignored them... muting the system?  Or was there something more sinister in the pilot's mind?   The inspection of the physical remains had provided no clue... no one else had answers... Lared was the last potential source to question.   

"You seemed to hesitate when noting that the controls did not respond.  Are you certain of that?" Rayek pressed.  "Most computer errors or lockouts will provide an error code to aid technicians diagnose the issue.  Did you know note anything on any of the shuttle displays?"

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:01:28 PM by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Experienced Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2022, 02:57:16 PM »

Lared felt his throat dry out again while Rayek posed his first question. To relieve the Captain of the task of giving him a drink, the Romulan sat up with some effort so that he could sit up a little straighter and bring the glass to his mouth without risk of choking or spilling the contents.

After he had drunk a little more, he leaned back again powerlessly and closed his eyes for a moment. "No, there was no forewarning, I'm sure of that." He opened his eyes and looked directly at Rayek. "I remember wondering why the overheating was so far advanced and already at the critical point when an alarm first went off."

Then it became apparent once again that the first officer was exceedingly perceptive. He had noticed his hesitation. In fact, Lared had to pause briefly when he stumbled upon a vague memory, but it was not entirely clear. He thought he remembered something, but it was as if a thick veil lay over it that he could not lift.

To buy a little more time and perhaps remember more clearly, Lared turned to Tess. "Captain, I hate to ask you this, but my throat seems to go dry so quickly ..." A code ... there had been a code, he was one hundred percent sure of that. But which exactly it was - no chance. His brain refused to give him this detail.

When she handed him the refilled glass, Lared thanked her faintly and took another sip, his hand trembling slightly, still too weak to hold the weight of the full glass. He cleared his throat and licked his dry lips before he started to answer Rayek.

"The controls didn't respond, I know that for a fact. All my attempts to shut down the plasma conduit failed, the computer rejected all inputs." He paused, his gaze slipping away from Rayek and sinking down as he tried once again to remember. "There was an error code, there was one, but ..." He sighed in frustration. "I just can't remember what kind it was. There was so much happening at the same time at that moment." His lips narrowed into a thin line. "I'm sorry to be a disappointment to you, rekkhai."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr’Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 02:02:00 AM »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Lared felt his throat dry out again while Rayek posed his first question. To relieve the Captain of the task of giving him a drink, the Romulan sat up with some effort so that he could sit up a little straighter and bring the glass to his mouth without risk of choking or spilling the contents.

After he had drunk a little more, he leaned back again powerlessly and closed his eyes for a moment. "No, there was no forewarning, I'm sure of that." He opened his eyes and looked directly at Rayek. "I remember wondering why the overheating was so far advanced and already at the critical point when an alarm first went off."

Then it became apparent once again that the first officer was exceedingly perceptive. He had noticed his hesitation. In fact, Lared had to pause briefly when he stumbled upon a vague memory, but it was not entirely clear. He thought he remembered something, but it was as if a thick veil lay over it that he could not lift.

To buy a little more time and perhaps remember more clearly, Lared turned to Tess. "Captain, I hate to ask you this, but my throat seems to go dry so quickly ..." A code ... there had been a code, he was one hundred percent sure of that. But which exactly it was - no chance. His brain refused to give him this detail.

When she handed him the refilled glass, Lared thanked her faintly and took another sip, his hand trembling slightly, still too weak to hold the weight of the full glass. He cleared his throat and licked his dry lips before he started to answer Rayek.

"The controls didn't respond, I know that for a fact. All my attempts to shut down the plasma conduit failed, the computer rejected all inputs." He paused, his gaze slipping away from Rayek and sinking down as he tried once again to remember. "There was an error code, there was one, but ..." He sighed in frustration. "I just can't remember what kind it was. There was so much happening at the same time at that moment." His lips narrowed into a thin line. "I'm sorry to be a disappointment to you, rekkhai."

Once more, Rayek had to wait on Lared as the flight officer decided to sit up despite his weakness rather than answering the questions posed to him immediately.  While Tess aided the man, Rayek tamped down on an restive sigh.  He watched then as Lared lay back and closed his eyes for what seemed like a long moment.  It seemed to Rayek that the stimulant had worn off as quickly as it had taken effect.

He pondered asking Tess about giving something stronger but knew there was no way Tess would go for that.  This time he did sigh - though mostly under his breath.  Lared must have heard him cause he spoke then. Rayek looked to the man's face once more.  Lared restated that the controls did not respond to any input.   Then once more Lared paused, glancing away. 

There was something that Lared was struggling with... did he just not recall?  Or was it some manner of guilt that had the man unable to face his ranking officer? 

Then there it was!  The confirmation that there had been a code that could help reinvigorate the slagging investigation!  Rayek's attention was razor sharp on the bedridden Romulan.  And no sooner had his hope been raised than it as dashed by the sigh of frustration and Lared's statement that he couldn't remember.  Fvadt! 

Rayek was certain he hadn't uttered the swear word aloud, but it was clear by Lared's thin lipped apology that he knew exactly how Rayek felt right at that moment.  So close! Rayek clenched his hands into fists in order to keep control of his own frustration.   

It was Rayek's turn to not speak immediately.  The appropriate response as a Starfleet officer was to tell the Ensign he wasn't a disappointment, thank him for his statement, and wish him a speedy recovery.  It was the situation that was disappointing.   But the words stuck in Rayek's throat.  He'd be lying if he said he wasn't disappointed... though it wasn't Lared he was truly disappointed in but rather the situation.  The best he could manage at the moment was a bland reply.  "I recognize that you are doing your best, Ensign."

What to do now? The key to an answer was so close, yet so far away.

There had to be a way to uncover that error code - unfortunately much like Lared's memory, even the shuttle's 'black box' and computer data was too far gone to be of much use.  The file that would normally contain such information was unrecoverable.   Rayek and the best of the Engineering and Ops personnel had each tried - to no avail.

Like an annoying buzz in his ear, came the thought that there was a way to retrieve the information. Lared said he had seen the code... all it would take was a brief glimpse into the pilots mind...

'No!' Rayek turned his head away sharply as he tried to bury such a thought.   He had hoped he had grown to be a better person than that.  But his thoughts betrayed him.  He was still the devious-minded operative it seemed.

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Experienced Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2022, 05:15:35 AM »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess has always been very perceptive to the moods and feelings of others around her. This applied even more to someone close to her like her husband. Most might not have even noticed the telltale signs that the Romulan became impatient as the man who had just woken from a weeks-long coma took his time. There was that little vein at the side of Rayek's neck that started to become more prominent, pulsing strongly and even more rapid than the higher Vulcanoid pulse rate would normally let it. The impatient sigh he let out was not lost him.

Tess on the other hand stood there calmly and waited until Lared felt ready to speak. She noted that the stimulant did not have as strong an effect as she had expected but she would leave it at that. She would abstain from burdening his weak body with something stronger. If they didn't get the information now, they would have to wait til another time when the Romulan felt better.

Gladly, they didn't seem to have to wait for it, as Lared now got to the crucial point. She found her own hopes being raised only to be let down by the fact that he didn't remember. It had to be expected that such details would be missing, but still, it was disappointing. Cautiously, she glanced over to Rayek, who's vein was even more prominent than before, his hands clenched to fists. She saw his struggle not to curse out loud, but she almost believed to have heard it anyways.
Lared was devastated that he could not be of help, that much was obvoius. How disappointed Rayek was showed his reply to the man; instead of assuring him that he was not a disappointment, Rayek merely recognized that he was doing his best.

Silence fell over them for a moment, and Tess gnawed slightly at her lip as she thought about how to proceed from here. The abrupt movement of Rayek's head, turning it away from Lared, caught her attention. Was he thinking about the same thing as she?
She knew Rayek would not make that suggestion. She also recognized that there was a chance that Lared would refuse to participate. But an open straightforward question with giving him the choice to agree or to decline didn't seem bad.

Tess quietly cleared her throat before she spoke to Lared. "Thank you for your statement, Ensign. It is high priority to solve this incident, what and who has caused it." Since Lared had figured as much that the explosion had not been an accident, she thought she could be open to him about them assuming the same and intending to find the culprit. "In the past weeks we have been analysing everything we could, but whoever was on the job, did a thorough one. Every piece of information and evidence is vital." She paused as she glanced to Rayek briefly. Was he getting what she was about to suggest? Looking back to Lared she continued. "As you have come to know, Commander tr'Lhoell possesses the ability of telepathy. Part of his ability is to be able to retreive information, even if that information is not available on the conscious memory of the person anymore." Tess saw Lared's face turning stonily. "I assure you it's safe."

Lared looked away from Tess, but also avoided eye-contact with Rayek for a moment. "I really want to be of help, but ... letting someone else into my mind is ... . It's wrong. I could never allow anyone to do that, it's unnatural."

That's going to be tough, Tess thought. They needed to convince him. "Any concerns or questions you might have, please feel free to voice them and we both will answer them to best of our abilities." She glanced to Rayek, hoping he would agree.
Tess' biography