Author Topic: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?  (Read 7281 times)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2022, 08:31:32 am »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 4 - Ready Room]

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Rayek was attentive as Tess responded to his news regarding Benjin.  He watched her face and noted the concerned furrowing of her eyebrows.  It bothered him that she seemed to blame herself for not noticing Benjin's distance.

"As Captain, you rely on others to be your eyes and ears to the crew; and as a mother your focus is, of course, on your child first and foremost - no one can fault you for that." Rayek stated.  "But as your XO, it is my job to be your eyes and eyes, to ensure you have the information you need to make proper choices. I failed that.  I didn't interpret his initial tardiness when tr'Movel brought it up to me, as an issue. And as your husband, I also have a role in looking out for the rest of the family so you can not be over taxed in caring for our son.  I didn't see Benjin's opting out of family gatherings as the problem it was either.   I thought he was still connected socially to his peers - like he had been with the cadets on the holodeck.  But it seems my reprimand for that incident may have been what isolated Benjin.  I misjudged what the outcome would be of my removing him from that social group." 

Rayek readily claimed the responsibility for this situation, and he would work to rectifying it.  He hadn't gathered Tess' family to them for the wedding just to watch them slip away one by one.  There was nothing Rayek could do to improve Fabiano's medical condition, but the situation with Benjin was something he could help with.  Benjin needed to know that he was an important part of the family and that the Earth culture he grew up with as Fabiano's adoptive son was just as valid and important as the one he was born to but couldn't recall.

"He did agree to the dinner, and once he has completed his extra duty we can discuss with him the notion of him preparing the meal with us.  I figure we can let him decide the recipe and any appropriate activities that can be engaged in for the evening."

He paused a moment, regarding Tess.  "Do you think it would be appropriate to suggest Fabiano being present?"  It was troubling to realize for the usually well-informed Romulan, that he didn't know if Benjin was visiting with Tess' father regularly or not. 

Rayek himself, had at first, felt extremely uncomfortable in Fabiano's presence following the man's disability.  Romulan culture did not allow for those that could not serve the Empire or it's people to survive.   It was an archaic notion, created during a time when resources were limited.  Though it was difficult to see Tess struggle with the pain of dealing with her father's disability, he suspected her grief and pain would be worse if she didn't still have her father with her.   He assumed it was the same for Benjin.

Tess shook her head when Rayek gave the blame to himself. "We both had more than enough on our plates the past months", she replied. "Commanding a ship and balancing a complex family life on top of that is not easy." Tess found her family life very complex indeed. An infant, a severely disabled father who needed a lot of care. Then there was Rayek's sister, who had appeared out of nowhere. Not to mention the attempt on Rayek's life.

Just thinking about it made Tess sigh in exhaustion and rub her face. When Rayek continued to tell her that Benjin had agreed to the dinner, Tess was somewhat relieved. "Thank you, ciccino," she said softly. Once again she was aware of how much Rayek had her back and was helping her.
When he asked her about her father, Tess nodded without hesitation. "I think he would be happy to be there." Then a thought occurred to her that she hadn't had to deal with before. "I don't want to exclude your sister. Should we invite her, too?"

NPC Ensign Lared tr'Movel
[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Sickbay]

NPC Jinsux tr'Movel (age 9) + Karinne t'Movel (age 99)

Phara leaned down and placed a kiss on the top of her husband's disheveled dark hair - then took a moment to smooth down his bowl-cut hairstyle.   When she was done she left with Cemee without a goodbye - knowing she would return to stay by his side after the children had left.

Jinsux, at seeing the door to the ward swish open, was up on his feet in an instant and tugged at his grandmother's hand to do the same.   Karinne's rise was much slower, almost stately in comparison.  Together, the young and old pair walked past Phara and Cemee, who were returning to the waiting room.  Jinsux urged his grandmother forward as they entered the room where his father lay on a biobed.  Unlike his sister, who had raced forward to greet her father, Jinsux knew he was expected to remain at his grandmother's side or he would be reprimanded by her.  But it was so difficult!  She moved so slow lately! 

When they finally arrived at his father's bedside, and while his grandmother sat herself in the adjacent chair, Jinsux took advantage of her distraction to hug his father tightly.  He'd missed his father a lot this past month - the worry of his never coming home had given Jinsux a stomach ache most nights.

Karinne, once settled in her seat and seeing Jinsux's display, frowned.  "Arrie ieiuqh l'ta'fvull'aelmnaejaerhoaommuy proper olhao, kuoku!" she wasped. (*translation - Show your father proper respect, child!)

At the sharp reprimand, Jinsux released his Dad and took a step back.  "Ie, daisemi'ueiik'h'unhr ri'nanov." (*translation - Yes, chief mother (grandmother)) he answered dutifully in Rihanha - something his grandmother insisted if it were just family present.  Jinsux kind of wished the Aunt Tess had stayed so he could have just spoken Standard.  It was so much easier to pronounce and remember.   

Jinsux then bowed towards his father. "Yhhau l'ta'fvull'aelmnaejaerhoaommuy." (*translation - Hello, father)

She'd always been strict but this past month had been the worst! Mama had said it was because Gramma was worried sick about Papa, but Jinsux didn't see any sign of worry on the old woman's face.  It was as stern as ever.

Karinne fixed her gaze upon her youngest and only surviving son.  He looked weak and pale. 

"Hveolhaonn temaelhe kjumnaihsou lloann'mhrahel daisemi'maenek arifv vriafwen hiifve'afwe ikjrhes iudaiht uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n vriha vriha. Siaeqh hwiiy ssuy llaetus?" (*translation - I thought this Federation medicine was supposed to be superior.  Why are you still ailing?) she remarked pointedly to her son.

Then because if she didn't question him now the opportunity to do so would be lost when her daughter-in-law was present, Karinne tried to sate her need for information.

"I saw the Captain and the... First Officer leave."  It was annoying to have to refer to the traitor by either his name or rank, but that had been the Commander's one demand of her in exchange for allowing her to come aboard the Amalthea with her family.   It was extortion of a sort and not at all unexpected of the man.  In fact, Karinne, would have thought him stupid or up to something had he not made some demand.   

"He arrived in a rush yet left unpleased. Why?" she questioned

Lared watched as his mother and son now entered the room. Jinsux was impatiently tugging at her hand which made Lared smile weakly. Once his mother was seated, Jinsux rushed towards him to hug him tightly. Lared's hand came up to fatherly pet the back of his head while already awaiting a reprimand by his mother. While Phara and he were more relaxed in raising their children, Karinne would not allow it whenever it was within her power to.

Letting go of his son, Lared looked at Jinsux as he respectfully bowed before him and greeted him. "Y'hhau, arham faelirh." (*Hello, my son.) He then glanced to his mother. "Hveolhaonn aeheri iudaiht let ahefvi it hnafirh'rau hwiiy, ri'nanov." (*I am pleased to see you, mother.)

Lared looked back to Jinsux, his eyes smiling. "How have you been, my son?", he asked fondly.

Before he could hear his son's response, his mother chose to make a barbed remark about Federation medicine. Lared let out a soft sigh, so quiet that it probably wasn't audible for the elderly Romulan. He then went on to reply with patience. "Ehdhihss iekil'eirh ahefvi thiich, ri'nanov. Ve kjumnaihsou lloann'mhrahel avaihh'etrehh rrhiet khina, hveolhaonn yyitai taeth rhaet d'oan dei iekil'eirh alliekhaehtaothilhihwaehs e taeth colloq. Draed'et ujudhueiusmm'ukssdh drihaen." (*The doctors have kept me alive, mother. If this wasn't a Federation ship, I doubt my own people would have fought for my life that long.)

It was clear that her remark had only been something she did by default. She couldn't help herself. Lared briefly wondered why he had bothered to answer at all, when his mother then began to ask a more substantial question. The Romulan hesitated as he thought about how much to tell his mother. While he refused to lie to her, he was not willing to tell her about the mind melding procedure the Captain and First Officer wanted for him to agree to.

"The investigations of the shuttle incident are still ongoing. Since this was the first time I was awake after that happened, they naturally had questions for me." To find an explanation as to why Rayek had looked displeased, Lared added, "I got easily tired and exhausted and my recollection of the incident was ... fragmentary."
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2022, 04:23:38 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess shook her head when Rayek gave the blame to himself. "We both had more than enough on our plates the past months", she replied. "Commanding a ship and balancing a complex family life on top of that is not easy." Tess found her family life very complex indeed. An infant, a severely disabled father who needed a lot of care. Then there was Rayek's sister, who had appeared out of nowhere. Not to mention the attempt on Rayek's life.

Just thinking about it made Tess sigh in exhaustion and rub her face. When Rayek continued to tell her that Benjin had agreed to the dinner, Tess was somewhat relieved. "Thank you, ciccino," she said softly. Once again she was aware of how much Rayek had her back and was helping her.
When he asked her about her father, Tess nodded without hesitation. "I think he would be happy to be there." Then a thought occurred to her that she hadn't had to deal with before. "I don't want to exclude your sister. Should we invite her, too?"

Of course when Rayek tried to say the blame was his, Tess pointed out the reasons why it wasn't.  Yet in doing so, her words were just as valid for herself as him.  He hoped she saw that. 

Her mentioning of a complex family life was certainly an understatement for them; and worse yet, the complexity wasn't just limited to family.  They had some some rather complex friendships out there.  Latikh was an excellent example of this.  Fells was another.   But her point was made - neither were at fault... but now that they were aware they needed to be more mindful of the Benjin's perspective.

When Tess answered his question about her father, he realized he wasn't clear about his uncertainty.  He was about to point out he had was unsure whether Benjin would be okay with it - since for all he knew the boy had been avoiding seeing his adoptive father since Fabiano's injury.  But he was suddenly distracted from that thought by Tess' suggestion to invite Kemala.   Tess had a point.  Kemala was family, yet up until this suggestion, Rayek had pretty much subconsciously been keeping the two families from intermixing.

Even as he considered the question right now, Rayek was hesitant.  He loved his sister dearly, yet couldn't be sure what her reaction might be to an evening devoted to another species' culture - nor what her reaction might be to having Fabiano present in particular.  While he doubted his sister would speak offensively, like Karinne would definitely do, he was almost certain that she would feel uncomfortable. 

However, even as his protective nature kicked in to suggest that it was probably best to just not make the offer; he realized that it wasn't his role to shelter her anymore.  She was an adult not the little girl had always fondly spoke of to Tess when reminiscing of his family. 

After a long pause, Rayek finally answered Tess with a nod.  "Once we have a date and time that Benjin agrees to, I will make mention of it to her."

Lared watched as his mother and son now entered the room. Jinsux was impatiently tugging at her hand which made Lared smile weakly. Once his mother was seated, Jinsux rushed towards him to hug him tightly. Lared's hand came up to fatherly pet the back of his head while already awaiting a reprimand by his mother. While Phara and he were more relaxed in raising their children, Karinne would not allow it whenever it was within her power to.

Letting go of his son, Lared looked at Jinsux as he respectfully bowed before him and greeted him. "Y'hhau, arham faelirh." (*Hello, my son.) He then glanced to his mother. "Hveolhaonn aeheri iudaiht let ahefvi it hnafirh'rau hwiiy, ri'nanov." (*I am pleased to see you, mother.)

Lared looked back to Jinsux, his eyes smiling. "How have you been, my son?", he asked fondly.

Before he could hear his son's response, his mother chose to make a barbed remark about Federation medicine. Lared let out a soft sigh, so quiet that it probably wasn't audible for the elderly Romulan. He then went on to reply with patience. "Ehdhihss iekil'eirh ahefvi thiich, ri'nanov. Ve kjumnaihsou lloann'mhrahel avaihh'etrehh rrhiet khina, hveolhaonn yyitai taeth rhaet d'oan dei iekil'eirh alliekhaehtaothilhihwaehs e taeth colloq. Draed'et ujudhueiusmm'ukssdh drihaen." (*The doctors have kept me alive, mother. If this wasn't a Federation ship, I doubt my own people would have fought for my life that long.)

It was clear that her remark had only been something she did by default. She couldn't help herself. Lared briefly wondered why he had bothered to answer at all, when his mother then began to ask a more substantial question. The Romulan hesitated as he thought about how much to tell his mother. While he refused to lie to her, he was not willing to tell her about the mind melding procedure the Captain and First Officer wanted for him to agree to.

"The investigations of the shuttle incident are still ongoing. Since this was the first time I was awake after that happened, they naturally had questions for me." To find an explanation as to why Rayek had looked displeased, Lared added, "I got easily tired and exhausted and my recollection of the incident was ... fragmentary."

That Karinne was seen as overly stern when dealing with her grand-children, was not an uncommon perception.  Romulan philosophy on child rearing was very similar to the adage 'Spare the rod, spoil the child', and as dearly as she loved her grand-children, they were most definitely spoiled!

Her son allowed his children far too many Federation liberties, which she thought was foolish.  It would make it all the more difficult on the children to acclimatize when they finally were sent back to Romulan space.  So it was left to Karinne to ensure the children knew proper etiquette, and their proper role in Romulan society. 

When Lared showed that he too remembered proper etiquette with his greeting to her, even while so weak, she inwardly smiled.  Illegitimate though he might be, Karinne couldn't help but feel a bit grateful that Lared - of all her children - was the one to survive.   Though youngest, born 7 years after her husband's passing, Lared had proved himself to be smarter, and more resilient than his legitimized siblings, who were raised by her mother's mother, while she was left to raise Lared on her own until he could fend for himself.

Her comment about the medication had been just her usual sniping of all things Federation.  She hated to admit that the medical care received was better than anything they could hope to get back home, even on Romulus.  But rather than simply acknowledge this principal practice, Lared pointed out that back home he most certainly would have been abandoned and left for dead.

That was something Karinne did not want to acknowledge... and so changed subjects to inquire why the Commander had looked so upset.

Karinne let a small scowl show on her face at Lared's reply.  "Hwoimne'liu ehdhihss daise'erei'riov 'hh emael aled iudaiht ssuaj ehdhihss iarr'voi. Iarr hvaedroalh ehdhihss imorlasedh? Aeek'h'i a dha'rudh dha'rudh. Damne!" (*translation - So the Commander is unable to understand the cause of the explosion?  What a fool!)

How could they not know what occurred after all this time?  She'd honestly expected better.  Despite her insults, she knew the traitor was not inept; without honor or conscience certainly but he was wily.  So wily that he had managed to hide a taboo ability his entire life. 

The idea that her family was on friendly terms with a telepathy was still so very abhorrent to her.  She grimaced.  "You are fortunate the ryakna didn't just pick the information from your mind." Her disgust at the remembered unnatural ability overwhelmed her promise to not insult the Commander.  Karinned shuddered.  "Elements save us from telepaths!" she added vehemently.

Jinsux, who had been dutifully silent beside his grandmothers chair, all this time, looked between the two adults in keen interest, finally looking to his father to provide answers. 

"What's wrong with telepaths?" The innocent boy asked - his experience free of preconceived fears and judgements. "My best friend on Katra is a telepath.  You remember him right, Papa? Tidu?  Well, he got transported accidentally to the other side of the dimension plane on Meridian - but everyone thought he was dead.  It was only because he could reach his thoughts across to his mother that they realized that he actually was alive.  His mom is really smart and she figured out a way to fix the transporter in a way that it could bring him back.   That happened just before we arrived.  He told me all about it"  The energy, and breathlessness with which Jinsux spoke about his friend was almost radiant.  The boy's face lit up in imagine awe and wonder at what his friend had experienced and could do. 
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2022, 11:27:02 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin
[USS Amalthea - Deck 7 - VIP Quarters as temporary ambassadorial office] (a month prior)

To say that Latihk was pissed off was an understatement. What the hell?! He hadn't come here all the way, leaving his business behind, almost wrecking his ship to pieces in an effort to catch up with the Federation ship, just to be interrogated by an ambassador of the Romulan Freestate! Latihk felt the urge to stand up and pace the room but that would probably not be appreciated by the security officer standing near the door, face and attention towards him.

Unnerved, Latihk turned his gaze away. What made it more nerve-wrecking for him was the fact that he wasn't exactly an innocent respectable citizen. Letting out an annoyed sigh, Latihk tried to calm down. He had the ability to play these kind of situations cool, he had done it before. The situation as a whole was just something that was new and it troubled him.

Hearing the doors opening, Latihk looked up. Alright then, here we go.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Of course when Rayek tried to say the blame was his, Tess pointed out the reasons why it wasn't.  Yet in doing so, her words were just as valid for herself as him.  He hoped she saw that. 

Her mentioning of a complex family life was certainly an understatement for them; and worse yet, the complexity wasn't just limited to family.  They had some some rather complex friendships out there.  Latikh was an excellent example of this.  Fells was another.   But her point was made - neither were at fault... but now that they were aware they needed to be more mindful of the Benjin's perspective.

When Tess answered his question about her father, he realized he wasn't clear about his uncertainty.  He was about to point out he had was unsure whether Benjin would be okay with it - since for all he knew the boy had been avoiding seeing his adoptive father since Fabiano's injury.  But he was suddenly distracted from that thought by Tess' suggestion to invite Kemala.   Tess had a point.  Kemala was family, yet up until this suggestion, Rayek had pretty much subconsciously been keeping the two families from intermixing.

Even as he considered the question right now, Rayek was hesitant.  He loved his sister dearly, yet couldn't be sure what her reaction might be to an evening devoted to another species' culture - nor what her reaction might be to having Fabiano present in particular.  While he doubted his sister would speak offensively, like Karinne would definitely do, he was almost certain that she would feel uncomfortable. 

However, even as his protective nature kicked in to suggest that it was probably best to just not make the offer; he realized that it wasn't his role to shelter her anymore.  She was an adult not the little girl had always fondly spoke of to Tess when reminiscing of his family. 

After a long pause, Rayek finally answered Tess with a nod.  "Once we have a date and time that Benjin agrees to, I will make mention of it to her."

Tess could almost see that a silent debate was going on in Rayek's head. She watched him closely, wondering why he was hesitating so long. Should she not have made the suggestion regarding Kemala?

Finally he answered and agreed. Tess smiled, relieved. "Awesome. Thank you, ciccino." She sighed as their talk now had come to an end. Looking back at him she smiled and took a step closer to him. Her arms came up to wrap them loosely around his neck and she gave him a sweet lingering kiss. When she pulled just her head back without moving her arms she grinned a little and once more wiped her thumb over his lips to remove the lipstick once more. "You are dismissed, Commander", she murmured with a playful twinkle in her eyes.

That Karinne was seen as overly stern when dealing with her grand-children, was not an uncommon perception.  Romulan philosophy on child rearing was very similar to the adage 'Spare the rod, spoil the child', and as dearly as she loved her grand-children, they were most definitely spoiled!

Her son allowed his children far too many Federation liberties, which she thought was foolish.  It would make it all the more difficult on the children to acclimatize when they finally were sent back to Romulan space.  So it was left to Karinne to ensure the children knew proper etiquette, and their proper role in Romulan society. 

When Lared showed that he too remembered proper etiquette with his greeting to her, even while so weak, she inwardly smiled.  Illegitimate though he might be, Karinne couldn't help but feel a bit grateful that Lared - of all her children - was the one to survive.   Though youngest, born 7 years after her husband's passing, Lared had proved himself to be smarter, and more resilient than his legitimized siblings, who were raised by her mother's mother, while she was left to raise Lared on her own until he could fend for himself.

Her comment about the medication had been just her usual sniping of all things Federation.  She hated to admit that the medical care received was better than anything they could hope to get back home, even on Romulus.  But rather than simply acknowledge this principal practice, Lared pointed out that back home he most certainly would have been abandoned and left for dead.

That was something Karinne did not want to acknowledge... and so changed subjects to inquire why the Commander had looked so upset.

Karinne let a small scowl show on her face at Lared's reply.  "Hwoimne'liu ehdhihss daise'erei'riov 'hh emael aled iudaiht ssuaj ehdhihss iarr'voi. Iarr hvaedroalh ehdhihss imorlasedh? Aeek'h'i a dha'rudh dha'rudh. Damne!" (*translation - So the Commander is unable to understand the cause of the explosion?  What a fool!)

How could they not know what occurred after all this time?  She'd honestly expected better.  Despite her insults, she knew the traitor was not inept; without honor or conscience certainly but he was wily.  So wily that he had managed to hide a taboo ability his entire life. 

The idea that her family was on friendly terms with a telepathy was still so very abhorrent to her.  She grimaced.  "You are fortunate the ryakna didn't just pick the information from your mind." Her disgust at the remembered unnatural ability overwhelmed her promise to not insult the Commander.  Karinned shuddered.  "Elements save us from telepaths!" she added vehemently.

Jinsux, who had been dutifully silent beside his grandmothers chair, all this time, looked between the two adults in keen interest, finally looking to his father to provide answers. 

"What's wrong with telepaths?" The innocent boy asked - his experience free of preconceived fears and judgements. "My best friend on Katra is a telepath.  You remember him right, Papa? Tidu?  Well, he got transported accidentally to the other side of the dimension plane on Meridian - but everyone thought he was dead.  It was only because he could reach his thoughts across to his mother that they realized that he actually was alive.  His mom is really smart and she figured out a way to fix the transporter in a way that it could bring him back.   That happened just before we arrived.  He told me all about it"  The energy, and breathlessness with which Jinsux spoke about his friend was almost radiant.  The boy's face lit up in imagine awe and wonder at what his friend had experienced and could do.

Lared briefly closed his eyes as his mother went on to scoff at the fact that the Commander had not been able to determine the cause for the shuttle incident as yet and then voice their fortune that they had been spared the Commander using his telepathic ability on him. Although Lared kept his eyes closed, his body tensed up the slightest bit at that. He would avoid to comment on it because he didn't want to get into a position in which he would have to answer questions to his mother he didn't necessarily want her to know.

At his son's rather bold question, considering it was asked in presence of his mother, Lared did open his tired eyes and glanced at his son as he went to to tell them about his friend on Katra who - apparently - was a telepath. Lared knew who Tidu was, and he had heard about the incident when the kid had gone missing, but he certainly hadn't known the kid possessed telepathic abilities. Jinsux really wasn't a kid to make things up, but Lared wondered if either Tidu had tried to fool him or if Jinsux had misunderstood something.

Trying to intervene before his mother would freak out, Lared tried to clarify the situation. "I'm sure your friend was just happy his mother was able to find him and bring him back with the transporter. You know, there are powerful sensors on Katra that could have located your friend when he was stuck in the other dimension."

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Briefing Room] (evening)

Tess had enjoyed a quiet late afternoon with Rayek and Fivenn. The soup her brothers Rah'ul and Tamo'nar had prepared had been really delicious, just like the tossed salad Rayek had prepared for them. She even had managed to get in a brief nap.

Now she was dressed in her dress uniform, waiting for Ambassador Jarok and his aide to arrive. Tess wasn't exactly sure how this meeting would go. She was prepared that the air could become tense at some point and she was ready to mediate if necessary. Glancing over to Rayek, she tried to get a feel for how he felt at the moment. Unfortunately they didn't get to talk much, as the doors to the Conference Room opened shortly after.

NPC Ambassador Virahk Jarok - Romulan Free State

Virahk knew that this meeting was important. All of the meetings thus far have been, but this was the Commander of the ship. A Romulan who had served several years in Starfleet already and had filled Command positions - on and off, as he had heard. The Commander's career in Starfleet was quite - unusual. Which probably was the only way to go for a Romulan trying to serve in a fleet other than the Romulan Navy.

Jarok recognized the great potential for reaching his mission's goal if this talk was going over as well as he hoped. But it would be a difficult one.

When the doors to the Conference Room opened, he found the pair already present. Commander tr'Lhoell had stipulated that his wife attend the meeting as well. It was an unusual request but it was quite clear that this was not something the Commander would want to debate about.

Jarok stopped in the room and took a moment to acknowledge them both with a respectful bow of his head. "Captain, Commander. I am pleased you agreed to this meeting."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:59:33 pm by Tess tLhoell »
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2022, 04:04:52 am »

NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei (disguise of Telmuk tr'Lhoell, Tal'Shiar operative)
[USS Amalthea - Deck 6 - XO's office as temporary ambassadorial office] (a month prior)

Latihk tr'Kheiin
[USS Amalthea - Deck 6 - XO's office as temporary ambassadorial office] (a month prior)

To say that Latihk was pissed off was an understatement. What the hell?! He hadn't come here all the way, leaving his business behind, almost wrecking his ship to pieces in an effort to catch up with the Federation ship, just to be interrogated by an ambassador of the Romulan Freestate! Latihk felt the urge to stand up and pace the room but that would probably not be appreciated by the security officer standing near the door, face and attention towards him.

Unnerved, Latihk turned his gaze away. What made it more nerve-wrecking for him was the fact that he wasn't exactly an innocent respectable citizen. Letting out an annoyed sigh, Latihk tried to calm down. He had the ability to play these kind of situations cool, he had done it before. The situation as a whole was just something that was new and it troubled him.

Hearing the doors opening, Latihk looked up. Alright then, here we go.

Telmuk, in guise of the affable Rheinn tr'Hei, had convinced the Ambassador that questioning the newly arrived Rihan would be best done separately so that they could compare their answers.  He suggested sagely that Jarok as the ranking diplomatic officer, would be best to question the Riov, Kemala; while he would question the other two.

At Telmuk's quiet prompting pointing out the suspicious timing of the arrival of the Romulan Freighter, the Ambassador had insisted that the Amalthea impound the Romulan vessel and detain it's crew and passengers on his behalf until his own ship could be called back to take charge of the vessel. 

The manner in which Starfleet 'detained' these prisoners was rather laughable.  Telmuk had never seen such lax security and so pleasant a detention area.   Each of the three detained Romulans had their own Guest quarters in which they were kept under house arrest (except of course Kemala, who was given Captain t'Lhoell's permission to go to Sickbay under guard).

That the explosion hadn't outright killed his brother, had Telmuk quite upset.  But not for the reasons one might expect.  While he was upset that the explosion was unsuccessful, his anger was at himself for not ensuring a clean kill for Rayek and the others.   Having his brother and the others survive deformed or crippled, would be worse than death, he thought.  His orders had been to kill the traitor, not set him up to take his own life. 

But given the heighten security now, that might be the way in which this mission got resolved. That Tess had immediately suspected the explosion to be an assault was worrisome and meant that for the moment he would need to 'lay low' and bide his time.

Arriving at the XO's office that Rayek had given up to the Ambassador for use the day before, Telmuk entered with only the slightest hesitation.  He wasn't superstitious - but the other day while questioning Rojol, he found it a little unnerving to work in the same space that his brother would have worked.   

The freighter Captain was already present, along with a Federation guard, when he arrived.   The man's disfigured face and missing eye were disturbing to look at but Telmuk forced himself to do so with a smile on his face.

While he would like nothing better to do than to interrogate the man using a bit of torture, his persona wouldn't, so to get actual answers Telmuk was going to have to be friendly and use his ability.

"Jolan tru.  My name is Rhienn tr'Hei.  I'm the Ambassador's Aide." Telmuk greeted with a half bow, before motioning the guard to wait outside. 

"To help clear you of any suspicion, I'm going to need your full cooperation.  Please have a seat and we'll get started."   

Telmuk referenced his PADD.  "First off let's start with your name.  The vessel, RFS Narvasam is registered to an... Aefau tr'Dhael - a rather amusing name for a trading vessel.  Obviously it is false.  So who are you really?" 

As he asked that question, Telmuk reached out with his mind to pilfer answers from the other man's surface thoughts.

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess could almost see that a silent debate was going on in Rayek's head. She watched him closely, wondering why he was hesitating so long. Should she not have made the suggestion regarding Kemala?

Finally he answered and agreed. Tess smiled, relieved. "Awesome. Thank you, ciccino." She sighed as their talk now had come to an end. Looking back at him she smiled and took a step closer to him. Her arms came up to wrap them loosely around his neck and she gave him a sweet lingering kiss. When she pulled just her head back without moving her arms she grinned a little and once more wiped her thumb over his lips to remove the lipstick once more. "You are dismissed, Commander", she murmured with a playful twinkle in her eyes.

Rayek's affirmative answer to her suggestion to invite Kemala, brought a relieved smile to Tess' face.  Her use of his 'pet' name after thanking him, had him smiling in return.

He dipped his head to acknowledge her words.  When his head lifted however, Tess had moved in close, and he soon found her arms wrapped about his neck.  It was natural in that moment to have his arms encircled her waist lightly.  His head bent slightly downwards to meet her upturned face and greet her kiss, which they lingered over - neither wanting it to end.

Eventually, however Tess leaned away and Rayek reluctantly released his embrace of her, as she wiped at his lips with a thumb - removing the evidence.

He straightened at his dismissal and nodded once more.  "Aye Captain." then because he did have responsibilities he needed to see to before the end of shift, Rayek stepped back, turned about much like he might do if on parade and headed to the exit which opened for him seamlessly.

NPCs Jinsux tr'Movel (age 9) + Karinne t'Movel (age 99)

Lared briefly closed his eyes as his mother went on to scoff at the fact that the Commander had not been able to determine the cause for the shuttle incident as yet and then voice their fortune that they had been spared the Commander using his telepathic ability on him. Although Lared kept his eyes closed, his body tensed up the slightest bit at that. He would avoid to comment on it because he didn't want to get into a position in which he would have to answer questions to his mother he didn't necessarily want her to know.

At his son's rather bold question, considering it was asked in presence of his mother, Lared did open his tired eyes and glanced at his son as he went to to tell them about his friend on Katra who - apparently - was a telepath. Lared knew who Tidu was, and he had heard about the incident when the kid had gone missing, but he certainly hadn't known the kid possessed telepathic abilities. Jinsux really wasn't a kid to make things up, but Lared wondered if either Tidu had tried to fool him or if Jinsux had misunderstood something.

Trying to intervene before his mother would freak out, Lared tried to clarify the situation. "I'm sure your friend was just happy his mother was able to find him and bring him back with the transporter. You know, there are powerful sensors on Katra that could have located your friend when he was stuck in the other dimension."

As much as Karinne loved her grandson, it annoyed her to no end to have the child speak without being addressed or directed to speak by an elder - especially about such a topic!  She huffed her displeasure and might have even spoken a reprimand to the boy, possibly even to declare him never to see that other again, if not for Lared speaking up then.  His tone was far milder than hers would have been, and his words conveyed that he thought the statement was untrue.  As Lared was the Jinsux's father, Karinne left him to it for the moment.

Jinsux looked at Lared, incredulous that his father didn't believe him - or rather didn't believe his friend.  Even if his father's words were said with a gentle tone - the meaning was the same and that upset the young boy. 

"But he wasn't mistaken father... and neither am I!" he protested.   "I even tested him...  He could say the phrase I was thinking of 10 times out of 10, and I could hear him in my mind even across the promenade." he declared

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell and NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess had enjoyed a quiet late afternoon with Rayek and Fvienn. The soup her brothers Rah'ul and Tamo'nar had prepared had been really delicious, just like the tossed salad Rayek had prepared for them. She even had managed to get in a brief nap.

Now she was dressed in her dress uniform, waiting for Ambassador Jarok and his aide to arrive. Tess wasn't exactly sure how this meeting would go. She was prepared that the air could become tense at some point and she was ready to mediate if necessary. Glancing over to Rayek, she tried to get a feel for how he felt at the moment. Unfortunately they didn't get to talk much, as the doors to the Conference Room opened shortly after.

Virahk knew that this meeting was important. All of the meetings thus far have been, but this was the Commander of the ship. A Romulan who had served several years in Starfleet already and had filled Command positions - on and off, as he had heard. The Commander's career in Starfleet was quite - unusual. Which probably was the only way to go for a Romulan trying to serve in a fleet other than the Romulan Navy.

Jarok recognized the great potential for reaching his mission's goal if this talk was going over as well as he hoped. But it would be a difficult one.

When the doors to the Conference Room opened, he found the pair already present. Commander tr'Lhoell had stipulated that his wife attend the meeting as well. It was an unusual request but it was quite clear that this was not something the Commander would want to debate about.

Jarok stopped in the room and took a moment to acknowledge them both with a respectful bow of his head. "Captain, Commander. I am pleased you agreed to this meeting."

Having left Fvienn with Tess' elder brothers, Rayek found he regretted having picked a time that cut into their 'homelife' as he would rather be enjoying 'tummy-time' with his son than be here.  But Tess had urged for his cooperation with Romulan Ambassador, and his questions, so Rayek would do so. 

Knowing he would cope better with movement, Rayek paced the window side of the room - also in his dressed uniform for this diplomatic meeting.   

"I hope this doesn't take long.  I had planned to read to Fvienn tonight.  I'd rather not miss it, as he enjoys the various voices I read with." he commented hoping the conversation might help ease him somewhat. 

Yet as he finished speaking the door to the briefing room opened.  Rayek paused his pacing and turned towards the door alertly.  There in the doorway was the Ambassador and his Aide.

Rayek could count on one hand the number of times he'd spoken directly to either one since their arrival.  Usually Rayek used an intermediary to pass along anything his duties required him to inform them of.  This was because unlike the other Romulan Starfleet officers aboard, Rayek had not come to the Federation under an Immigration VISA or even as a refugee.   No. He'd refused an order to return to Romulan territories after years aboard, given the trusted intel that he was slated for execution when he got back.

It was strange then, that both the Ambassador and his Aide chose to offer Tess and he the respect of a bow.  Diplomacy of course required that he return the respect shown him by the Ambassador's the bow.  Rayek turned to face the Romulan pair and bowed his head as well acknowledgement before moving to sit before Tess.

"My wife can be rather convincing - you have her to thank for this opportunity." Rayek bluntly stated.  "Let's get this over with."

Telmuk entered the room a step behind and to the side of the Ambassador.  A glance over the room showed his brother up and paused in his pacing by their arrival.  Nervous much?   Not that Telmuk wouldn't feel the same in Rayek's situation.

In the role of Rhienn tr'Hei, Ambassador's Aide, Telmuk offered the Command couple a more significant bow showing the difference in their social status.  He bowed at the waist slightly before continuing to assess his brother and his brother's wife.   Knowing that his brother shared the same ability as he, Telmuk didn't block his thoughts (which would be a telltale sign that he had something to hide) but rather instead filtered them - allowing only nonsensitive topic thoughts to surface.  Rhienn might appear slow-witted, but that was better than being found out as Telmuk and working for the Tal'Shiar.

It said a lot about Federation medicine that there were no lasting scars that Telmuk could see to note his recent brush with death.  "You are looking rather well Commander." he remarked as he stepped forward further into the room continuing to follow the ambassador until he seated himself to the right of the Ambassaor.  This put him directly in front of the Rayek. 

Telmuk set his PADD on the table  "I would like to record your replies to reference back to when drafting our report.  Will you allow this?" Rhienn, the pleasant and friendly aide, asked.

Rayek looked positively uncomfortable with the idea so 'Rhienn' sought to reassure.  "The information in the report is anonymous and afterwards all recordings will be deleted."  Or at least that was the official line.  A backup copy would of course be made, the file encrypted and then would be handed off to another Tal Shiar agent would would smuggle it back across to report the information.
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2022, 10:24:49 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin
[USS Amalthea - Deck 7 - XO's office as temporary ambassadorial office] (a month prior)

NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei (disguise of Telmuk tr'Lhoell, Tal'Shiar operative)

Telmuk, in guise of the affable Rheinn tr'Hei, had convinced the Ambassador that questioning the newly arrived Rihan would be best done separately so that they could compare their answers.  He suggested sagely that Jarok as the ranking diplomatic officer, would be best to question the Riov, Kemala; while he would question the other two.

At Telmuk's quiet prompting pointing out the suspicious timing of the arrival of the Romulan Freighter, the Ambassador had insisted that the Amalthea impound the Romulan vessel and detain it's crew and passengers on his behalf until his own ship could be called back to take charge of the vessel. 

The manner in which Starfleet 'detained' these prisoners was rather laughable.  Telmuk had never seen such lax security and so pleasant a detention area.   Each of the three detained Romulans had their own Guest quarters in which they were kept under house arrest (except of course Kemala, who was given Captain t'Lhoell's permission to go to Sickbay under guard).

That the explosion hadn't outright killed his brother, had Telmuk quite upset.  But not for the reasons one might expect.  While he was upset that the explosion was unsuccessful, his anger was at himself for not ensuring a clean kill for Rayek and the others.   Having his brother and the others survive deformed or crippled, would be worse than death, he thought.  His orders had been to kill the traitor, not set him up to take his own life. 

But given the heighten security now, that might be the way in which this mission got resolved. That Tess had immediately suspected the explosion to be an assault was worrisome and meant that for the moment he would need to 'lay low' and bide his time.

Arriving at the XO's office that Rayek had given up to the Ambassador for use the day before, Telmuk entered with only the slightest hesitation.  He wasn't superstitious - but the other day while questioning Rojol, he found it a little unnerving to work in the same space that his brother would have worked.   

The freighter Captain was already present, along with a Federation guard, when he arrived.   The man's disfigured face and missing eye were disturbing to look at but Telmuk forced himself to do so with a smile on his face.

While he would like nothing better to do than to interrogate the man using a bit of torture, his persona wouldn't, so to get actual answers Telmuk was going to have to be friendly and use his ability.

"Jolan tru.  My name is Rhienn tr'Hei.  I'm the Ambassador's Aide." Telmuk greeted with a half bow, before motioning the guard to wait outside. 

"To help clear you of any suspicion, I'm going to need your full cooperation.  Please have a seat and we'll get started."   

Telmuk referenced his PADD.  "First off let's start with your name.  The vessel, RFS Narvasam is registered to an... Aefau tr'Dhael - a rather amusing name for a trading vessel.  Obviously it is false.  So who are you really?" 

As he asked that question, Telmuk reached out with his mind to pilfer answers from the other man's surface thoughts.

Latihk's good eye was fixated on the man the second he entered the room. The guard left and Latihk responded to the man's greeting and introduction with a nod before he moved to sit at the table. Latihk very consciously took a rather lax posture on the chair. Leaned back deep in the chair, his feet touching the floor flat at level of the chair's legs. One hand rested casually on his thigh while the other hand rested on the surface of the table. It was a very open, almost invitingly confrontational posture. But the hardness in Latihk's eye as he looked at him was anything but casual or relaxed.

So, the man thought he was being smart when he confronted him with his - correct - assumption that it was a false name. But that didn't faze Latihk at all. Not at this point, at least. He had gone through many many check-ups of his identity and barely anyone was able to find evidence that his identity was false, ever.

"If the ship is registered in this name, it will be correct. I don't know what to tell you. I'm glad you find it amusing. Unlike my proper name, I was able to pick the name of the ship myself. Navasam is very appropriate after all in the context. Don't you think?" Latihk observed the portly man, trying to feel out the proper way to talk to him. One thing he had learned was that there was one right way to talk to a person, and many wrong ways. You just had to figure out what kind of person was before you and talk in the appropriate manner with them and success was most likely.

As much as Karinne loved her grandson, it annoyed her to no end to have the child speak without being addressed or directed to speak by an elder - especially about such a topic!  She huffed her displeasure and might have even spoken a reprimand to the boy, possibly even to declare him never to see that other again, if not for Lared speaking up then.  His tone was far milder than hers would have been, and his words conveyed that he thought the statement was untrue.  As Lared was the Jinsux's father, Karinne left him to it for the moment.

Jinsux looked at Lared, incredulous that his father didn't believe him - or rather didn't believe his friend.  Even if his father's words were said with a gentle tone - the meaning was the same and that upset the young boy. 

"But he wasn't mistaken father... and neither am I!" he protested.   "I even tested him...  He could say the phrase I was thinking of 10 times out of 10, and I could hear him in my mind even across the promenade." he declared

Lared looked at his upset son as he explained to him vehemently that it was true what he said and offered examples as evidence in which apparently the kid had telepathic interaction with his son. The Romulan father looked at the boy with alarmed surprise. That he said that he could hear him in his mind Lared found very disturbing.

"Jinsux, faelirh", Lared said, his voice losing some of the steadiness he had gained back after his coma. "You never told us about that. Why did you never mention any of this?" He suddenly was very worried. "You should not allow anyone else inside your mind, it's ..." He was about to tell him that it wasn't right, that it was unnatural. But at the same time became all the more aware of the irony of him telling his son this while he himself was forced to consider that very thing for himself. But the rejection of telepathy in any way was so ingrained in him he thought he needed to tell his son. But right now he couldn't get over his hesitation.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell and NPC Ambassador Virahk Jarok - Romulan Free State
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - Briefing Room]

Having left Fvienn with Tess' elder brothers, Rayek found he regretted having picked a time that cut into their 'homelife' as he would rather be enjoying 'tummy-time' with his son than be here.  But Tess had urged for his cooperation with Romulan Ambassador, and his questions, so Rayek would do so. 

Knowing he would cope better with movement, Rayek paced the window side of the room - also in his dressed uniform for this diplomatic meeting.   

"I hope this doesn't take long.  I had planned to read to Fvienn tonight.  I'd rather not miss it, as he enjoys the various voices I read with." he commented hoping the conversation might help ease him somewhat. 

Yet as he finished speaking the door to the briefing room opened.  Rayek paused his pacing and turned towards the door alertly.  There in the doorway was the Ambassador and his Aide.

Rayek could count on one hand the number of times he'd spoken directly to either one since their arrival.  Usually Rayek used an intermediary to pass along anything his duties required him to inform them of.  This was because unlike the other Romulan Starfleet officers aboard, Rayek had not come to the Federation under an Immigration VISA or even as a refugee.   No. He'd refused an order to return to Romulan territories after years aboard, given the trusted intel that he was slated for execution when he got back.

It was strange then, that both the Ambassador and his Aide chose to offer Tess and he the respect of a bow.  Diplomacy of course required that he return the respect shown him by the Ambassador's the bow.  Rayek turned to face the Romulan pair and bowed his head as well acknowledgement before moving to sit before Tess.

"My wife can be rather convincing - you have her to thank for this opportunity." Rayek bluntly stated.  "Let's get this over with."

Telmuk entered the room a step behind and to the side of the Ambassador.  A glance over the room showed his brother up and paused in his pacing by their arrival.  Nervous much?   Not that Telmuk wouldn't feel the same in Rayek's situation.

In the role of Rhienn tr'Hei, Ambassador's Aide, Telmuk offered the Command couple a more significant bow showing the difference in their social status.  He bowed at the waist slightly before continuing to assess his brother and his brother's wife.   Knowing that his brother shared the same ability as he, Telmuk didn't block his thoughts (which would be a telltale sign that he had something to hide) but rather instead filtered them - allowing only nonsensitive topic thoughts to surface.  Rhienn might appear slow-witted, but that was better than being found out as Telmuk and working for the Tal'Shiar.

It said a lot about Federation medicine that there were no lasting scars that Telmuk could see to note his recent brush with death.  "You are looking rather well Commander." he remarked as he stepped forward further into the room continuing to follow the ambassador until he seated himself to the right of the Ambassaor.  This put him directly in front of the Rayek. 

Telmuk set his PADD on the table  "I would like to record your replies to reference back to when drafting our report.  Will you allow this?" Rhienn, the pleasant and friendly aide, asked.

Rayek looked positively uncomfortable with the idea so 'Rhienn' sought to reassure.  "The information in the report is anonymous and afterwards all recordings will be deleted."  Or at least that was the official line.  A backup copy would of course be made, the file encrypted and then would be handed off to another Tal Shiar agent would would smuggle it back across to report the information.

While Rayek roamed the room, Tess sat calmly in one of the chairs, hoping it would help him relax a little as well. Though she thought there was nothing that could do that right now. At his comment Tess smiled at her husband, hoping for it to be reassuring to him. Before she could add words to her smile, the ambassador and his aide arrived.

Tess rose from her chair and bowed her head too after they greeted them. "Thank you for making it possible for me to attend the meeting." She gestured towards a table with a very small variety of snacks and drinks. "Please feel free to help yourself. There is also a replicator over there if you should want something else."

"Thank you, Captain. Most kind of you."

At Rhienn's remark about Rayek, Jarok nodded. "Indeed, Commander. I'm glad to see that you seem to have recovered completely from that horrible incident." He had also heard that today the other Romulan officer, Lared tr'Movel, had woken from his coma. Jarok decided that he might breach that topic later, not right now.

They all sat down and his reliable aide started with the proper protocol. There was a notable silence after his initial question. Tess glanced to Rayek and it didn't need much to see that he didn't like the idea. When the aide went on to offer reassurances, Tess spoke up. "You have my consent." She hoped it would help nudge Rayek to agree as well. It was standard, really, and he himself used to record pretty much everything.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2022, 01:14:14 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin
[USS Amalthea - Deck 7 - XO's office as temporary ambassadorial office] (a month prior)

Latihk's good eye was fixated on the man the second he entered the room. The guard left and Latihk responded to the man's greeting and introduction with a nod before he moved to sit at the table. Latihk very consciously took a rather lax posture on the chair. Leaned back deep in the chair, his feet touching the floor flat at level of the chair's legs. One hand rested casually on his thigh while the other hand rested on the surface of the table. It was a very open, almost invitingly confrontational posture. But the hardness in Latihk's eye as he looked at him was anything but casual or relaxed.

So, the man thought he was being smart when he confronted him with his - correct - assumption that it was a false name. But that didn't faze Latihk at all. Not at this point, at least. He had gone through many many check-ups of his identity and barely anyone was able to find evidence that his identity was false, ever.

"If the ship is registered in this name, it will be correct. I don't know what to tell you. I'm glad you find it amusing. Unlike my proper name, I was able to pick the name of the ship myself. Narvasam is very appropriate after all in the context. Don't you think?" Latihk observed the portly man, trying to feel out the proper way to talk to him. One thing he had learned was that there was one right way to talk to a person, and many wrong ways. You just had to figure out what kind of person was before you and talk in the appropriate manner with them and success was most likely.

Telmuk easily picked up the man's thoughts regarding his false identity, but none of those thoughts gave him proof nor a name to pin on the man.  That this 'Aefau' thought he could talk his way out of the situation was amusing.  For the time being Telmuk would play along... just long enough to learn where he could find his incriminating proof.

Rhienn seemed surprised at the trader's answer then hurriedly offered an apology as he lowered his head.  "Forgive my assumption then, lhhai. I meant no disrespect of your name." He jotted down the false name on his PADD and continued on in his affable persona. 

"Let's continue on... What was the purpose of your traveling to the Gamma Quadrant?" Telmuk avoided pointing out the illegality of the trading vessel being this far outside of Romulan territory without direct permission.  He continued to read the surface thoughts of the man.

Lared looked at his upset son as he explained to him vehemently that it was true what he said and offered examples as evidence in which apparently the kid had telepathic interaction with his son. The Romulan father looked at the boy with alarmed surprise. That he said that he could hear him in his mind Lared found very disturbing.

"Jinsux, faelirh", Lared said, his voice losing some of the steadiness he had gained back after his coma. "You never told us about that. Why did you never mention any of this?" He suddenly was very worried. "You should not allow anyone else inside your mind, it's ..." He was about to tell him that it wasn't right, that it was unnatural. But at the same time became all the more aware of the irony of him telling his son this while he himself was forced to consider that very thing for himself. But the rejection of telepathy in any way was so ingrained in him he thought he needed to tell his son. But right now he couldn't get over his hesitation.

Jinsux could tell by both his father's and his grandmother's reaction that he'd done something they didn't approve of.  She was gaping at him like a fish - her open mouth moving as if she were trying to speak but the words just wouldn't come.

He answered his father's question with a timid shrug, certain that he was going to get in trouble but unsure of the reason why.  "I don't know, eneh...   It didn't seem important," he answered his father as to why he hadn't said anything.   

Jinsux noted that his father paused in explaining why he shouldn't let others into his mind.
"Did Tidu and I do something wrong, eneh?  Why is it okay for Betazoids and Vulcans to share thoughts but not Tidu or me?   Do you not trust me?"

Karinne finally found her voice. "Telepathy is an abomination! As are those who have the ability." she stated in an authoritative tone. "How could you allow another into your mind? When we get home, I will begin you on some defensive mental techniques we Imperial officers were taught when our ships were called on to cull the Reman numbers down." 

It had been nearly a half century since she'd needed to use such techniques but perhaps she was just being naive to think the traitor wasn't already in their minds. Well, no more!

While Rayek roamed the room, Tess sat calmly in one of the chairs, hoping it would help him relax a little as well. Though she thought there was nothing that could do that right now. At his comment Tess smiled at her husband, hoping for it to be reassuring to him. Before she could add words to her smile, the ambassador and his aide arrived.

Tess rose from her chair and bowed her head too after they greeted them. "Thank you for making it possible for me to attend the meeting." She gestured towards a table with a very small variety of snacks and drinks. "Please feel free to help yourself. There is also a replicator over there if you should want something else."

"Thank you, Captain. Most kind of you."

At Rhienn's remark about Rayek, Jarok nodded. "Indeed, Commander. I'm glad to see that you seem to have recovered completely from that horrible incident." He had also heard that today the other Romulan officer, Lared tr'Movel, had woken from his coma. Jarok decided that he might breach that topic later, not right now.

They all sat down and his reliable aide started with the proper protocol. There was a notable silence after his initial question. Tess glanced to Rayek and it didn't need much to see that he didn't like the idea. When the aide went on to offer reassurances, Tess spoke up. "You have my consent." She hoped it would help nudge Rayek to agree as well. It was standard, really, and he himself used to record pretty much everything.

The prompt by Tess had it's desired effect.  Rayek nodded. "And mine as well."  Though his agreeing wasn't an indication that he was any less paranoid and suspicious of the two Romulan. It was more the contrary actually.  He just needed to be smarter.

"Though rather than have the original recordings deleted, I insist that those of Tess and myself be turned over to us."  With the original in his possession, he could retain some measure of control over the information.

Rayek's request seemed to take the aide by surprise for a moment, before tr'Hei in turn nodded.  "If that is what you wish, we can certainly accommodate." the aide replied back and set up his PADD to begin recording.

"Please identify yourselves for the record, by stating your full names, with current ranks and position." Rhienn continued and gestured towards them to speak.

Rayek glanced to his wife and with a glance indicated that he would speak first "Commander Rayek ir-I'Ramnau ei-Moreno tr'Lhoell, First Officer of the USS Amalthea."

Despite having filled in all the appropriate change of name requests and sent them in to Starfleet and Federation Headquarters to make the change legal, this was the first time that Rayek had addressed himself aloud to another using the name he had chosen to add to his identity on their anniversary.   The ei- prefix had several different uses but in this instance he was recognizing the importance of Tess in his life by taking on her family name (which would have been the case anyways had they followed Romulan naming tradition) while still maintaining their decision to have their clan remain s'Lhoell in Earth custom.

Rayek watched Tess' face for reaction.

After Tess identified herself, Rhienn continued. "As this meeting is intended for us to gain insight into how well integrated into Federation society the Rihan people have become since the loss of our homeworld over 10 years ago, we will be addressing our questions directly to you, Commander."

Rayek had assumed that would be the case. "Understood.  However, as my wife is hru'hfirh of the s'Lhoell clan..." 

He paused a moment reflecting on what that meant... no longer was the clan just the three of them but Kemala and even Telmuk were recognized as part of their clan now too.  Thankfully Kemala hadn't contested Tess' right to the title.   

"If she wishes to speak she has that right." Rayek stated. "You may proceed."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 01:18:12 am by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2022, 12:53:14 pm »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

Telmuk easily picked up the man's thoughts regarding his false identity, but none of those thoughts gave him proof nor a name to pin on the man.  That this 'Aefau' thought he could talk his way out of the situation was amusing.  For the time being Telmuk would play along... just long enough to learn where he could find his incriminating proof.

Rhienn seemed surprised at the trader's answer then hurriedly offered an apology as he lowered his head.  "Forgive my assumption then, lhhai. I meant no disrespect of your name." He jotted down the false name on his PADD and continued on in his affable persona. 

"Let's continue on... What was the purpose of your traveling to the Gamma Quadrant?" Telmuk avoided pointing out the illegality of the trading vessel being this far outside of Romulan territory without direct permission.  He continued to read the surface thoughts of the man.

Latihk was a little surprised that the man didn't dig deeper and try to press for his real name. It was kinda weird that he came in strong with a confident confrontation but then backed down so quickly. He thought he'd need to fight a little more about that one, but Latihk certainly wouldn't complain about that. He accepted the man's apology with an almost solemn nod of his head.

The next question was critical but it had been clear that it would come sooner or later. He had been hesitant as hell to come here at all. He knew it was illegal and it could mean trouble for many reasons. But Kemala had been quite convincing. Part of that had been that she had guaranteed him to take responsibility should they be confronted with consequences.

Another not unimportant reason why Latihk had agreed to this was that he still had romantic feelings for the s'Lhoell daughter. There was no point in denying it. He had realized that the second he had seen her on the screen when he had contacted her to inform her of the danger Rayek was in. Now that he had spent months with her in the limited space on his ship, those feelings had not diminished. Rather the opposite.

Latihk eyed the portly Romulan in front of him. "I can't make any statements on that."

Now to see if the aide would back off again so quickly or if he would be more persistent this time.

Jinsux could tell by both his father's and his grandmother's reaction that he'd done something they didn't approve of.  She was gaping at him like a fish - her open mouth moving as if she were trying to speak but the words just wouldn't come.

He answered his father's question with a timid shrug, certain that he was going to get in trouble but unsure of the reason why.  "I don't know, eneh...   It didn't seem important," he answered his father as to why he hadn't said anything.   

Jinsux noted that his father paused in explaining why he shouldn't let others into his mind.
"Did Tidu and I do something wrong, eneh?  Why is it okay for Betazoids and Vulcans to share thoughts but not Tidu or me?   Do you not trust me?"

Karinne finally found her voice. "Telepathy is an abomination! As are those who have the ability." she stated in an authoritative tone. "How could you allow another into your mind? When we get home, I will begin you on some defensive mental techniques we Imperial officers were taught when our ships were called on to cull the Reman numbers down." 

It had been nearly a half century since she'd needed to use such techniques but perhaps she was just being naive to think the traitor wasn't already in their minds. Well, no more!

This was a moment Lared realized something. While his mother's mindset was his own, a common thing about Romulans, ingrained in their culture, and something he had been growing up with and taught from an early age on, his own son's almost innocent and unaware of any prejudices questions were hitting something inside him. The fact was that he couldn't give his son a reasonable explanation. Of course he could talk to him about the sketchy moral aspects of telepathy, but he realized that what he had been taught and in return was teaching his son was to despise others for a part of their physiology.

Of course, he still was appalled by the very idea. And he would prefer for his son to never come into contact with it - but apparantly, it was too late for that. He already did. And it hadn't been gruesome for him, not something horrible but something to be excited and curious about. It gave him a lot to think about.

Even as his mother announced she would teach him defensive techniques, Lared kept looking at his son, his eyes soft. "Of course I trust you", he said quietly. He wanted his son to know that. He then looked to his mother when she spoke of culling down Remans. "Mother", he said weakly, "I asked you not to speak of these topics in front of the children."

The prompt by Tess had it's desired effect.  Rayek nodded. "And mine as well."  Though his agreeing wasn't an indication that he was any less paranoid and suspicious of the two Romulan. It was more the contrary actually.  He just needed to be smarter.

"Though rather than have the original recordings deleted, I insist that those of Tess and myself be turned over to us."  With the original in his possession, he could retain some measure of control over the information.

Rayek's request seemed to take the aide by surprise for a moment, before tr'Hei in turn nodded.  "If that is what you wish, we can certainly accommodate." the aide replied back and set up his PADD to begin recording.

"Please identify yourselves for the record, by stating your full names, with current ranks and position." Rhienn continued and gestured towards them to speak.

Rayek glanced to his wife and with a glance indicated that he would speak first "Commander Rayek ir-I'Ramnau ei-Moreno tr'Lhoell, First Officer of the USS Amalthea."

Despite having filled in all the appropriate change of name requests and sent them in to Starfleet and Federation Headquarters to make the change legal, this was the first time that Rayek had addressed himself aloud to another using the name he had chosen to add to his identity on their anniversary.   The ei- prefix had several different uses but in this instance he was recognizing the importance of Tess in his life by taking on her family name (which would have been the case anyways had they followed Romulan naming tradition) while still maintaining their decision to have their clan remain s'Lhoell in Earth custom.

Rayek watched Tess' face for reaction.

After Tess identified herself, Rhienn continued. "As this meeting is intended for us to gain insight into how well integrated into Federation society the Rihan people have become since the loss of our homeworld over 10 years ago, we will be addressing our questions directly to you, Commander."

Rayek had assumed that would be the case. "Understood.  However, as my wife is hru'hfirh of the s'Lhoell clan..." 

He paused a moment reflecting on what that meant... no longer was the clan just the three of them but Kemala and even Telmuk were recognized as part of their clan now too.  Thankfully Kemala hadn't contested Tess' right to the title.   

"If she wishes to speak she has that right." Rayek stated. "You may proceed."

Tess was glad and smiled when Rayek agreed readily to have their conversation be recorded. But it wouldn't be her lovely paranoid Romulan husband if he had nothing to add as a stipulation. Which promptly followed. Ambassador Jarok's aide agreed just as readily even if with some hesitation prior to it.

They were then asked to identify themselves for the record and Tess understood Rayek's glance and let him answer first. Of course he knew her husband's name. Therefore, she was even more surprised to hear him mention an addition to his name she had not known before. She looked at him wide-eyed but clearly touched. Was this one of his surprises he always seemed to find new ways to surprise her with? While she was totally fine with him keeping his name and she taking on his name, it was touching that he apparently chose to add her name to his as well. Had he already made this official? When had he planned on telling her this? Or was this so a whlie already and he had just waited for an opportunity like this? As she thought about it second longer, she realized that it probably had something to do with Romulan culture though she was not exactly sure what it was. While she had learned a lot about her husband's culture, both from him and from her own fascination and interest, it was a very complex and very old one that had many traditions that were that as well. Had maybe his sister's appearance prompted Rayek to solidify Tess' position as the clan's chief, as he kept telling her that she was that. Tess struggled a bit to perceive herself a clan chief but she did her best to fulfil the role. Was her sister probably fighting her position?

The silence in the room cut into her thoughts and as she surfaced from them, she found all eyes on her, waiting. "Usae" (*Sorry), she said with a dip of her head. "Captain Tess'ana t'Lhoell, Commanding Officer of the USS Amalthea", she offered up her name.

The aide Rhienn tr'Hei then went on to explain that the questions would be directed at Rayek. Tess nodded immediately. But Rayek had something to add to that, too. He highlighted her position in the family and explained that she had the right to answer as well. Tess smiled a little hesitantly and nodded, glad that the other two accepted that.

With that settled, Tess waited for the questions to begin.

[...]

Ambassador Jarok sat and watched in silence as his aide took care of the formalities as he had been in all of the meetings so far. This one was different because the spouse attended who was not Romulan. But apparently, the mixed couple tried to adhere to Romulan culture - well, not completely, since the wife had taken on the husband's name, which was unusual in Romulan culture. But perhaps it made most sense to hold up Romulan heritage and culture in a mixed marriage.

"Thank you", Jarok said to his aide and then leaned forward, indicating he was about to take over the conversation now. He had his datapad in front of him on which he had noted questions, tailored to Commander tr'Lhoell.

"Commander, of all the Romulan officers I have talked to thus far, you have served by far the longest in Starfleet." He glanced up from his padd and looked at Rayek. "Can you please elaborate on the experience of joining Starfleet. How were you perceived by the authorities, your superiors, instructors and fellow students at the time? What obstacles did you have to face and what was made easy for you?" Jarok leaned back in his seat again, regarding Rayek very attentively.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2022, 03:17:37 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

Latihk was a little surprised that the man didn't dig deeper and try to press for his real name. It was kinda weird that he came in strong with a confident confrontation but then backed down so quickly. He thought he'd need to fight a little more about that one, but Latihk certainly wouldn't complain about that. He accepted the man's apology with an almost solemn nod of his head.

The next question was critical but it had been clear that it would come sooner or later. He had been hesitant as hell to come here at all. He knew it was illegal and it could mean trouble for many reasons. But Kemala had been quite convincing. Part of that had been that she had guaranteed him to take responsibility should they be confronted with consequences.

Another not unimportant reason why Latihk had agreed to this was that he still had romantic feelings for the s'Lhoell daughter. There was no point in denying it. He had realized that the second he had seen her on the screen when he had contacted her to inform her of the danger Rayek was in. Now that he had spent months with her in the limited space on his ship, those feelings had not diminished. Rather the opposite.

Latihk eyed the portly Romulan in front of him. "I can't make any statements on that."

Now to see if the aide would back off again so quickly or if he would be more persistent this time.

Telmuk realized his mistake moments after reading the surprise in the one-eyed Romulan's mind.  First he'd come on too strong for Rhienn's jovial persona, too much of his own hardness seeping through, and then he'd overcompensated to be too lax in reaction to the man's answer.  Telmuk needed to get his act together or it could raise suspicions, but Telmuk felt off kilter.   Was it Kemala's arrival that was throwing him off?  That had to be it.  Everything would have been fine if she hadn't shown up and raised the Captain's suspicions.

When it came to questioning this man, Telmuk needed Rhienn to be a little more insistent - but in an nonthreatening manner. So that's how he planned to approach the rest of the interview.

The Tal'Shiar agent continued to skim the surface thoughts of tr'Dhael hoping the man would slip up and think of his own identity, so he had a name he could actually search up in the Romulan Embassy database.  Picking up from the man's mind that Latihk had feelings for his sister, had Telmuk narrowing his gaze somewhat at the man.  Really!?  That wasn't going to ever happen!  Kemala could have almost any man in the Empire, she was so sought after.  The nerve of this guy thinking he had a chance.

Yet something about him seemed familiar to Telmuk - like he should know him. 

That's when Latihk's thoughts noted that it was the smuggler who had contacted Kemala first to warn of the threat to Rayek.  What the Fvadt!?  How in Areinnye had HE found out?  Telmuk choked a moment.

Dammit! He definitely needed to get this guy talking and not on the defensive.  It was always harder to read people when they were subconsciously blocking. 

That the man then played coy and tried to say he couldn't speak to that topic, just pissed Telmuk off.

'Stay calm,' he told himself.   'Keep to the role.  He'll open up to friendly Rhienn more than he would to a Tal'Shiar interrogator (at least one not having access to a mind probe anyways)'.

Rhienn smiled tolerantly. "I can appreciate that you are likely concerned about... repercussions if you speak openly.  Fear has often been a big motivator in the way these one-on-one chats went back in the day, but things are changing.  And I'm not the type to resort to threats but I can offer incentives and assurance that we're here to help.  My job is to help honest hard-working Rihan citizens, like yourself, while they are here in foreign space and dealing with unfortunate circumstances, like the one we find ourselves in right now - but to do that I need to know what's going on."

Telmuk had Rhienn ask again.

"So, what was the purpose of your travel?  You can be honest with me. Whatever it is you think you need to hide, can be dealt with together."

This was a moment Lared realized something. While his mother's mindset was his own, a common thing about Romulans, ingrained in their culture, and something he had been growing up with and taught from an early age on, his own son's almost innocent and unaware of any prejudices questions were hitting something inside him. The fact was that he couldn't give his son a reasonable explanation. Of course he could talk to him about the sketchy moral aspects of telepathy, but he realized that what he had been taught and in return was teaching his son was to despise others for a part of their physiology.

Of course, he still was appalled by the very idea. And he would prefer for his son to never come into contact with it - but apparently, it was too late for that. He already did. And it hadn't been gruesome for him, not something horrible but something to be excited and curious about. It gave him a lot to think about.

Even as his mother announced she would teach him defensive techniques, Lared kept looking at his son, his eyes soft. "Of course I trust you", he said quietly. He wanted his son to know that. He then looked to his mother when she spoke of culling down Remans. "Mother", he said weakly, "I asked you not to speak of these topics in front of the children."

Jinsux was momentarily relieved and happy to hear his father's quiet voice state that he was trusted.  But that understanding moment was ripped away when his grandmother spoke. Jinsux felt scared and angry tears well up in his eyes as she called his best friend an abomination. 

Jinsux reacted, despite knowing he would likely be punished for talking back to his grandmother.  "No he's not!" he shouted at her, upset and fighting back tears. "He's my friend and that's just part of who he is; and I trust him!  He doesn't do hateful things - like you do!"

Then before either adult could scold him for daring to speak out, Jinsux ran from the room bawling.

Karinne gaped at the fleeing child, her heart aching in her chest at his accusation that she was hateful.  First her son rebuked her, then her grandchild!  What was wrong with them?!  This was the result of being too lenient and being surrounded by the damns Feds!

"I defend my home and family against all threats and I am called hateful for it." she huffed indignantly, trying to hide how much the boy's words hurt.  She stared after the boy. "I am not deserving of respect by the younger generations despite my years of service, I see.  Fine then! l should have expected no better given the influences that surround them."

She turned then to look back at Lared, who looked so weak that it was worrisome.  His earlier words pointing out that back on Romulus that he wouldn't have received such treatment came to mind, troubling her greatly.   "I will go now to let you rest.  Uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n ehsiu kha, taeth aadhoiurr'u" (*translation: Be well soon, my son)

NPCs Phara t'Movel and Cadet Tordel t'Movel
[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Hallway outside Sickbay]
Phara was waiting in the hall with Cemee and Tordel, who had been given time from her duties to come see her father, when suddenly Jinsux burst through the opening doorway and ran past the three crying.

Phara was stunned.  She looked to her eldest.  "Watch Cemee.  I'll go after him."  the Romulan mother said hurriedly, waiting only long enough for her eldest to acknowledge with a nod and respond back.

"Of course. I've got this."

Tordel didn't have long to ponder as to what happened for soon her grandmother exited the sickbay. The elderly woman seemed to cast her glance about.  "Vikra uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n ieiuqh ri'nanov aellei dl?" her grandmother asked. (*translation - Where are your mother and brother?)

Tordel gave a slight shrug and pointed off down the hallway the Jinsux had ran down. "Jinsux seemed upset so Mother went after him, " Tordel answered to which her grandmother nodded with a rather sharp frown.

Hoping to change the subject, Tordel glanced past her grandmother towards the Sickbays doors. "How is he?"

Her grandmother's expression saddened momentarily before the old woman regained firm hold of herself.  "He's tired.  If you wish to see him before he nods off.. you should do so now.  I'll take Cemee home." 

Karinne held out her hand towards the youngest child.  "Come child." Together the two started off down the hall in the opposite direction, leaving Tordel free to slip in and check in on her father.

She tried to walk quietly in case he was resting.  Tordel didn't want to disturb him.

Tess was glad and smiled when Rayek agreed readily to have their conversation be recorded. But it wouldn't be her lovely paranoid Romulan husband if he had nothing to add as a stipulation. Which promptly followed. Ambassador Jarok's aide agreed just as readily even if with some hesitation prior to it.

They were then asked to identify themselves for the record and Tess understood Rayek's glance and let him answer first. Of course he knew her husband's name. Therefore, she was even more surprised to hear him mention an addition to his name she had not known before. She looked at him wide-eyed but clearly touched. Was this one of his surprises he always seemed to find new ways to surprise her with? While she was totally fine with him keeping his name and she taking on his name, it was touching that he apparently chose to add her name to his as well. Had he already made this official? When had he planned on telling her this? Or was this so a while already and he had just waited for an opportunity like this? As she thought about it second longer, she realized that it probably had something to do with Romulan culture though she was not exactly sure what it was. While she had learned a lot about her husband's culture, both from him and from her own fascination and interest, it was a very complex and very old one that had many traditions that were that as well. Had maybe his sister's appearance prompted Rayek to solidify Tess' position as the clan's chief, as he kept telling her that she was that. Tess struggled a bit to perceive herself a clan chief but she did her best to fulfill the role. Was her sister probably fighting her position?

The silence in the room cut into her thoughts and as she surfaced from them, she found all eyes on her, waiting. "Usae" (*Sorry), she said with a dip of her head. "Captain Tess'ana t'Lhoell, Commanding Officer of the USS Amalthea", she offered up her name.

The aide Rhienn tr'Hei then went on to explain that the questions would be directed at Rayek. Tess nodded immediately. But Rayek had something to add to that, too. He highlighted her position in the family and explained that she had the right to answer as well. Tess smiled a little hesitantly and nodded, glad that the other two accepted that.

With that settled, Tess waited for the questions to begin.

[...]

Ambassador Jarok sat and watched in silence as his aide took care of the formalities as he had been in all of the meetings so far. This one was different because the spouse attended who was not Romulan. But apparently, the mixed couple tried to adhere to Romulan culture - well, not completely, since the wife had taken on the husband's name, which was unusual in Romulan culture. But perhaps it made most sense to hold up Romulan heritage and culture in a mixed marriage.

"Thank you", Jarok said to his aide and then leaned forward, indicating he was about to take over the conversation now. He had his datapad in front of him on which he had noted questions, tailored to Commander tr'Lhoell.

"Commander, of all the Romulan officers I have talked to thus far, you have served by far the longest in Starfleet." He glanced up from his padd and looked at Rayek. "Can you please elaborate on the experience of joining Starfleet. How were you perceived by the authorities, your superiors, instructors and fellow students at the time? What obstacles did you have to face and what was made easy for you?" Jarok leaned back in his seat again, regarding Rayek very attentively.

The widening of her eyes in surprise gave Rayek a slight thrill of happiness, as Tess reacted to hearing his Ifihaele'edh 'nhqh or 'recognition name'.

Then he smiled more at hearing Tess' full Ba'ku name.  He loved the sound of it and would love to call her by it but having grown up on Earth, she seemed to prefer the more Terran sounding 'Tess' over her actual birth name.  A choice that Rayek respected.

His attention then turned to the Ambassador as the Romulan began to speak and asked his question.  Rayek paused a moment, organizing his thoughts and choice of words before answering.

"Answering might have been easier had you asked one question at a time, but I will attempt to be thorough in my reply.  How I was perceived all depended on what that other knew of me and my past."  Rayek didn't elaborate on what past he was referring to in his statement since he did not know what the Ambassador knew of him.  Was it in the file that the Ambassador had on him that Rayek was once a member of the Tal'Shiar? Or were those records lost over the years?

"But initially there was distrust on both sides. It took three failed attempts to get into Starfleet as an officer, for me to change my tactic and apply to the Fleet as Enlisted rather than Commissioned - this after ending my 5 year service in the Star Navy as a Centurion." Rayek pointed out.  He didn't need to explain to any present that a Centurion was comparable to Starfleet's Lieutenant or Lieutenant-Commander ranks.

"Being one of the few non-Federation born Romulans to successfully be accepted into even enlisted service with Starfleet my presence was, I suspect, a little disturbing for the other students and for the instructors.  Our people's past encounters with the Federation have left most Federation citizens with the not unwarranted belief that we are all cunning and deceitful.  I was watched carefully by my instructors and avoided by most of the students at first." Rayek stated deadpan.  He was avoiding showing how lonely a time it was for him then, with only really Saqa7 he could count as a friend. 

"The greatest obstacle for me, beyond just gaining acceptance into the Academy in the first place, was a singular concept that actually held me back from graduating for nearly two years." Rayek admitted before pointing out an embarrassing fact. "The enlisted course is only supposed to be 6 months." And yet he took 4 times that amount to grasp a single concept. 

"While I could verbalize the intent of the Prime Directive on a written test, when it came down to displaying those key aspects in my actions, I would fail.  Yet I was determined to get into the Fleet so persisted - much to their surprise.  I believe this both annoyed and impressed my instructors.  But in no way did they make 'things easy' or simply graduate me. I had to actually grasp the concept and have my actions in the holographic simulator reflect this."  Which he did eventually do.  It was a moment of great relief and pride to Rayek - when he graduated to Crewman from Recruit.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 12:20:00 pm by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2022, 06:35:17 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

Telmuk realized his mistake moments after reading the surprise in the one-eyed Romulan's mind.  First he'd come on too strong for Rhienn's jovial persona, too much of his own hardness seeping through, and then he'd overcompensated to be too lax in reaction to the man's answer.  Telmuk needed to get his act together or it could raise suspicions, but Telmuk felt off kilter.   Was it Kemala's arrival that was throwing him off?  That had to be it.  Everything would have been fine if she hadn't shown up and raised the Captain's suspicions.

When it came to questioning this man, Telmuk needed Rhienn to be a little more insistent - but in an nonthreatening manner. So that's how he planned to approach the rest of the interview.

The Tal'Shiar agent continued to skim the surface thoughts of tr'Dhael hoping the man would slip up and think of his own identity, so he had a name he could actually search up in the Romulan Embassy database.  Picking up from the man's mind that Latihk had feelings for his sister, had Telmuk narrowing his gaze somewhat at the man.  Really!?  That wasn't going to ever happen!  Kemala could have almost any man in the Empire, she was so sought after.  The nerve of this guy thinking he had a chance.

Yet something about him seemed familiar to Telmuk - like he should know him. 

That's when Latihk's thoughts noted that it was the smuggler who had contacted Kemala first to warn of the threat to Rayek.  What the Fvadt!?  How in Areinnye had HE found out?  Telmuk choked a moment.

Dammit! He definitely needed to get this guy talking and not on the defensive.  It was always harder to read people when they were subconsciously blocking. 

That the man then played coy and tried to say he couldn't speak to that topic, just pissed Telmuk off.

'Stay calm,' he told himself.   'Keep to the role.  He'll open up to friendly Rhienn more than he would to a Tal'Shiar interrogator (at least one not having access to a mind probe anyways)'.

Rhienn smiled tolerantly. "I can appreciate that you are likely concerned about... repercussions if you speak openly.  Fear has often been a big motivator in the way these one-on-one chats went back in the day, but things are changing.  And I'm not the type to resort to threats but I can offer incentives and assurance that we're here to help.  My job is to help honest hard-working Rihan citizens, like yourself, while they are here in foreign space and dealing with unfortunate circumstances, like the one we find ourselves in right now - but to do that I need to know what's going on."

Telmuk had Rhienn ask again.

"So, what was the purpose of your travel?  You can be honest with me. Whatever it is you think you need to hide, can be dealt with together."

Latihk eyed the man for a long moment silently, trying to figure out how much he wanted to trust him. Of course, there was no way he would tell him the whole story - that they had come here after they had learned first that Rayek was still alive and that an attempt on his life was planned by no one less than the Tal'Shiar. Of course Kemala could not sit and let it happen. Acutally, he had encouraged her to do something. He just hadn't expected her to ask for his assistance in giving her a ride - a trading vessel as disguise.
While he couldn't tell him that, Latihk tried to figure out if he should give small pieces of information to not leave the man with nothing because it didn't seem he would leave with nothing. Or if it was better to just clam up completely, maybe until he had a chance to talk to Kemala - if they would let him.

The man speaking of incentives and assurances had Latihk pick up his ears. tr'Hei wanted him to believe that the new Romulan government now dealt differently with offenders. Was this just said to make Latihk believe that was true since he spoke to the aide of an ambassador of the Free State? Latihk was doubtful but decided to explore the possibilities.

"I'm a trader. What incentives and assurances do you have to offer?"

When tr'Hei again asked why they were here, Latihk shook his head. Maybe he should set one point straight right now. "Look, I know we are under the suspicion to have something to do with the explosion of the Federation shuttle. Neither was anyone of my ship near that shuttle, not when it had been inside the ship or when it had been out of it."

Jinsux was momentarily relieved and happy to hear his father's quiet voice state that he was trusted.  But that understanding moment was ripped away when his grandmother spoke. Jinsux felt scared and angry tears well up in his eyes as she called his best friend an abomination. 

Jinsux reacted, despite knowing he would likely be punished for talking back to his grandmother.  "No he's not!" he shouted at her, upset and fighting back tears. "He's my friend and that's just part of who he is; and I trust him!  He doesn't do hateful things - like you do!"

Then before either adult could scold him for daring to speak out, Jinsux ran from the room bawling.

Karinne gaped at the fleeing child, her heart aching in her chest at his accusation that she was hateful.  First her son rebuked her, then her grandchild!  What was wrong with them?!  This was the result of being too lenient and being surrounded by the damns Feds!

"I defend my home and family against all threats and I am called hateful for it." she huffed indignantly, trying to hide how much the boy's words hurt.  She stared after the boy. "I am not deserving of respect by the younger generations despite my years of service, I see.  Fine then! l should have expected no better given the influences that surround them."

She turned then to look back at Lared, who looked so weak that it was worrisome.  His earlier words pointing out that back on Romulus that he wouldn't have received such treatment came to mind, troubling her greatly.   "I will go now to let you rest.  Uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n ehsiu kha, taeth aadhoiurr'u" (*translation: Be well soon, my son)

His son's outburst took Lared by surprise. Shocked, he watched his upset son shouting his disagreement and then rushing out of the room. He was too weak to call after him or to do anything to convince Jinsux to stay and talk about it. What a terrible timing for this conversation to be had.
His mother, of course, got all worked up about the behavior of the youngest child. On the one hand, he could not blame her. Such a behavior would not have been tolerated displayed by him or his siblings in any way. Not that Lared wanted to condone or ignore Jinsux's behavior. But instead of punishing the boy, as his mother surely had in mind, he was convinced that talking would do more. But that his mother couldn't understand. She thought this to be a display of disrespect towards her, and nothing else.

Lared didn't even know where to begin in trying to reply to her. He was overwhelmed. His mother seemed to notice that because suddenly her tone changed and she said she would leave him now so he could rest. Lared nodded and turned his head a bit to look at her. "I apologize for what has transpired, eneh-susse. It was disrespectful of him to talk to you in that manner." He paused to catch his breath a litte. "Phara and I will take care of him."

[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Hallway outside Sickbay]
Phara was waiting in the hall with Cemee and Tordel, who had been given time from her duties to come see her father, when suddenly Jinsux burst through the opening doorway and ran past the three crying.

Phara was stunned.  She looked to her eldest.  "Watch Cemee.  I'll go after him."  the Romulan mother said hurriedly, waiting only long enough for her eldest to acknowledge with a nod and respond back.

"Of course. I've got this."

Tordel didn't have long to ponder as to what happened for soon her grandmother exited the sickbay. The elderly woman seemed to cast her glance about.  "Vikra uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n ieiuqh ri'nanov aellei dl?" her grandmother asked. (*translation - Where are your mother and brother?)

Tordel gave a slight shrug and pointed off down the hallway the Jinsux had ran down. "Jinsux seemed upset so Mother went after him, " Tordel answered to which her grandmother nodded with a rather sharp frown.

Hoping to change the subject, Tordel glanced past her grandmother towards the Sickbays doors. "How is he?"

Her grandmother's expression saddened momentarily before the old woman regained firm hold of herself.  "He's tired.  If you wish to see him before he nods off.. you should do so now.  I'll take Cemee home." 

Karinne held out her hand towards the youngest child.  "Come child." Together the two started off down the hall in the opposite direction, leaving Tordel free to slip in and check in on her father.

She tried to walk quietly in case he was resting.  Tordel didn't want to disturb him.

After his mother had left, Lared closed his eyes just to rest for a little and to calm down the stirred up thoughts and concerns. He almost drifted off into sleep completely when his sensitive hearing picked up the sound of footsteps. Forcing his eyes open he now saw the face of his eldest daughter.

"Tordel", he spoke quietly a faint smile on his face. He was so happy to see her. "How are you, paenhe (*daugher)?"

Unexpectedly, another pair of footsteeps came closer and a moment later the chief medical officer stood in the small room.

"Excuse me for interrupting, but it sounded like there was some turmoil going on here." He looked very concerned. And a little surprised to only find Tordel t'Movel here. He thought he heard a younger voice and the unmistakable voice of the eldest s'Movel. "I understand your family wishes to see you, but it is important that you avoid agitation of any kind. Do I make myself clear here?" While he wasn't necessarily stern, there was no doubt the doctor was serious about what he said and that he would take measures to assure the patient got to rest if he had to.

Lared felt burning embarrassement. "Yes, doctor, of course. I apologize", he quickly said to avoid having him send Tordel away or his daughter offering to leave. He wanted to spend a couple of minutes with her.

The widening of her eyes in surprise gave Rayek a slight thrill of happiness, as Tess reacted to hearing his Ifihaele'edh 'nhqh or 'recognition name'.

Then he smiled more at hearing Tess' full Ba'ku name.  He loved the sound of it and would love to call her by it but having grown up on Earth, she seemed to prefer the more Terran sounding 'Tess' over her actual birth name.  A choice that Rayek respected.

His attention then turned to the Ambassador as the Romulan began to speak and asked his question.  Rayek paused a moment, organizing his thoughts and choice of words before answering.

"Answering might have been easier had you asked one question at a time, but I will attempt to be thorough in my reply.  How I was perceived all depended on what that other knew of me and my past."  Rayek didn't elaborate on what past he was referring to in his statement since he did not know what the Ambassador knew of him.  Was it in the file that the Ambassador had on him that Rayek was once a member of the Tal'Shiar? Or were those records lost over the years?

"But initially there was distrust on both sides. It took three failed attempts to get into Starfleet as an officer, for me to change my tactic and apply to the Fleet as Enlisted rather than Commissioned - this after ending my 5 year service in the Star Navy as a Centurion." Rayek pointed out.  He didn't need to explain to any present that a Centurion was comparable to Starfleet's Lieutenant or Lieutenant-Commander ranks.

"Being one of the few non-Federation born Romulans to successfully be accepted into even enlisted service with Starfleet my presence was, I suspect, a little disturbing for the other students and for the instructors.  Our people's past encounters with the Federation have left most Federation citizens with the not unwarranted belief that we are all cunning and deceitful.  I was watched carefully by my instructors and avoided by most of the students at first." Rayek stated deadpan.  He was avoiding showing how lonely a time it was for him then, with only really Saqa7 he could count as a friend. 

"The greatest obstacle for me, beyond just gaining acceptance into the Academy in the first place, was a singular concept that actually held me back from graduating for nearly two years." Rayek admitted before pointing out an embarrassing fact. "The enlisted course is only supposed to be 6 months." And yet he took 4 times that amount to grasp a single concept. 

"While I could verbalize the intent of the Prime Directive on a written test, when it came down to displaying those key aspects in my actions, I would fail.  Yet I was determined to get into the Fleet so persisted - much to their surprise.  I believe this both annoyed and impressed my instructors.  But in no way did they make 'things easy' or simply graduate me. I had to actually grasp the concept and have my actions in the holographic simulator reflect this."  Which he did eventually do.  It was a moment of great relief and pride to Rayek - when he graduated to Crewman from Recruit.

Virahk listened attentively to what Rayek said. If anything it showed that the Commander had strong willpower and was a person to achieve what he had set his mind on.

"It is not uncommon that it took some time to accept another concept of action that is quite different from what one had been raised with", the ambassador offered his understanding. "Did Starfleet offer any explanation why they initially had not accepted your application to enroll as a commissioned officer?" He briefly glanced down on his notes. "As I can see you later have been promoted from an enlisted to a commissioned officer - even to the rank of a Commander and Frist Officer. How did that come to be, in your opinion?"

"One goal of the Free State is that time served in the Romulan Military be acknowledged by Starfleet if someone wishes to serve there - for whatever reason. Would that find your approval?" It was a question to learn more about Rayek's mindset regarding Starfleet.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2022, 04:54:16 pm »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

Latihk eyed the man for a long moment silently, trying to figure out how much he wanted to trust him. Of course, there was no way he would tell him the whole story - that they had come here after they had learned first that Rayek was still alive and that an attempt on his life was planned by no one less than the Tal'Shiar. Of course Kemala could not sit and let it happen. Actually, he had encouraged her to do something. He just hadn't expected her to ask for his assistance in giving her a ride - a trading vessel as disguise.
While he couldn't tell him that, Latihk tried to figure out if he should give small pieces of information to not leave the man with nothing because it didn't seem he would leave with nothing. Or if it was better to just clam up completely, maybe until he had a chance to talk to Kemala - if they would let him.

The man speaking of incentives and assurances had Latihk pick up his ears. tr'Hei wanted him to believe that the new Romulan government now dealt differently with offenders. Was this just said to make Latihk believe that was true since he spoke to the aide of an ambassador of the Free State? Latihk was doubtful but decided to explore the possibilities.

"I'm a trader. What incentives and assurances do you have to offer?"

When tr'Hei again asked why they were here, Latihk shook his head. Maybe he should set one point straight right now. "Look, I know we are under the suspicion to have something to do with the explosion of the Federation shuttle. Neither was anyone of my ship near that shuttle, not when it had been inside the ship or when it had been out of it."

Telmuk's telepathy continued to sift over the other Romulan's thoughts.  There was more confirmation that Kemala and this man knew about Telmuk's orders to assassinate Rayek.  Yet nothing so far indicated that the man was suspicious of Rhienn being that assassin.  Instead the Romulan naming himself tr'Dhael was more concerned about keeping the truth from Rhienn. 

Though it was interesting to note that the idea of incentives caught tr'Dhael's attention. That could be useful.

"Well, if given your full cooperation during this investigation and if your purpose is reasonable then it is likely that we can negotiate with our Federation counterparts to drop any charges that would naturally arise out of a Romulan ship crossing the Neutral Zone without permission of either government."

That tr'Dhael chose then to speak to the suspicion that he and his ship were under was interesting.  "Your word alone is not sufficient.  I will require access to your ships' unaltered logs to verify how long you have been following the USS Amalthea and what other activities you have been involved in - if you wish to solidify your claim of innocence."

NPC Karinne t'Movel

His son's outburst took Lared by surprise. Shocked, he watched his upset son shouting his disagreement and then rushing out of the room. He was too weak to call after him or to do anything to convince Jinsux to stay and talk about it. What a terrible timing for this conversation to be had.
His mother, of course, got all worked up about the behavior of the youngest child. On the one hand, he could not blame her. Such a behavior would not have been tolerated displayed by him or his siblings in any way. Not that Lared wanted to condone or ignore Jinsux's behavior. But instead of punishing the boy, as his mother surely had in mind, he was convinced that talking would do more. But that his mother couldn't understand. She thought this to be a display of disrespect towards her, and nothing else.

Lared didn't even know where to begin in trying to reply to her. He was overwhelmed. His mother seemed to notice that because suddenly her tone changed and she said she would leave him now so he could rest. Lared nodded and turned his head a bit to look at her. "I apologize for what has transpired, eneh-susse. It was disrespectful of him to talk to you in that manner." He paused to catch his breath a little. "Phara and I will take care of him."

Karinne gazed down at her last surviving son.  He had changed much since their time among the Feds - not all of it good according to her thinking, but it eased her mind that he took responsibility for his own sons outburst.  "Very well, I will leave his discipline to you both though I expect an apology from him directly.  He is the one that needs to learn that that is no way to speak to one's elder." she groused before letting it go for now.

She bid her son to rest then headed out.

After his mother had left, Lared closed his eyes just to rest for a little and to calm down the stirred up thoughts and concerns. He almost drifted off into sleep completely when his sensitive hearing picked up the sound of footsteps. Forcing his eyes open he now saw the face of his eldest daughter.

"Tordel", he spoke quietly a faint smile on his face. He was so happy to see her. "How are you, paenhe (*daugher)?"

Unexpectedly, another pair of footsteeps came closer and a moment later the chief medical officer stood in the small room.

"Excuse me for interrupting, but it sounded like there was some turmoil going on here." He looked very concerned. And a little surprised to only find Tordel t'Movel here. He thought he heard a younger voice and the unmistakable voice of the eldest s'Movel. "I understand your family wishes to see you, but it is important that you avoid agitation of any kind. Do I make myself clear here?" While he wasn't necessarily stern, there was no doubt the doctor was serious about what he said and that he would take measures to assure the patient got to rest if he had to.

Lared felt burning embarrassment. "Yes, doctor, of course. I apologize", he quickly said to avoid having him send Tordel away or his daughter offering to leave. He wanted to spend a couple of minutes with her.

Tordel offered her father a respectful bow in greeting before moving to his bedside. Yet before she could speak the Medical Chief arrived and commented on some disruption that her grandmother must have cause.  Tordel lowered her head apologetically on her grandmother's behalf.  "I too apologize for any disruption my won't cause any trouble, sir... and won't stay long, I promise.  I can see my father needs rest." she answered before lifting her head.

Once the doctor left, Tordel turned her look back to her father and answered his earlier question.   "I'm doing better now..." Her words suggested that while he was unconscious that she'd been troubled.

"Are you okay?" she questioned gently, as she leaned down to give him a light hug. 

When she rose once more her curiosity about what the incident earlier was about prompted a somewhat inappropriate question - but Karinne wasn't present so it should be fine.  "What was d'-enneh-susse complaining about this time?"

Virahk listened attentively to what Rayek said. If anything it showed that the Commander had strong willpower and was a person to achieve what he had set his mind on.

"It is not uncommon that it took some time to accept another concept of action that is quite different from what one had been raised with", the ambassador offered his understanding. "Did Starfleet offer any explanation why they initially had not accepted your application to enroll as a commissioned officer?" He briefly glanced down on his notes. "As I can see you later have been promoted from an enlisted to a commissioned officer - even to the rank of a Commander and Frist Officer. How did that come to be, in your opinion?"

"One goal of the Free State is that time served in the Romulan Military be acknowledged by Starfleet if someone wishes to serve there - for whatever reason. Would that find your approval?" It was a question to learn more about Rayek's mindset regarding Starfleet.

Rayek accepted the Ambassador's platitude of understanding his troubles at adapting to the Federation mindset, though Rayek doubted the Ambassador had any real clue.  The Starfleet officer figured the fellow Romulan was just attempting to put him at ease. 

When asked by the Ambassador if Starfleet had offered any explanation for refusing his commission application, Rayek shook his head.  "They did not.  Nor did I ask.  It was rather self-explanatory. They didn't trust me in a role with any sort of power." he deadpanned.

He glanced to Tess.  He knew she didn't like to hear his opinion on those early days.  She had tried more than once to have him look at the situation from Starfleet's perspective but to Rayek that merely solidified his belief.  He wouldn't have trusted a traitor with a position of power without proof of their true intentions.

It wasn't that Rayek blamed Starfleet for their caution; he was merely stating it plainly.

Rayek went on to explain his promotion. "I was fortunate to be assigned to a ship whose Captain, was willing to overlook my history and judge me merely on my actions from that point on."  He was of course referring to Captain Dylan Torngate - a man that had earned his respect quickly and whom Rayek was pleased to count among those he called friend.  Dylan had even attended his and Tess' wedding. 

"I'm certain it was at his recommendation that I was considered for such a promotion.  That and I believe I may have impressed Admiral Rellek during a specific mission, so much so that she requested me specifically as her XO when she took command of Katra Station."

He listened as Ambassador Jarok suggested that they were working towards having Romulan Military time in service acknowledged immediately by Starfleet.  It was something Rayek had once would have killed for (not literally - he meant it just as an expression presently).

"Surprisingly, no.  I feel I am a better Starfleet officer having had to initially work through the ranks - at least for the start.  I understand now that Starfleet needs to be careful and selective on who and how much leadership they allow exchange personnel have - at least until those individuals prove themselves capable of fitting in and following Starfleet protocol.  Though perhaps at least allowing commissioned enrollment would be sufficient.  If the Romulan individual is skilled and ernest, it won't take them long to regain their comparable higher rank."   

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2022, 11:35:07 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

Telmuk's telepathy continued to sift over the other Romulan's thoughts.  There was more confirmation that Kemala and this man knew about Telmuk's orders to assassinate Rayek.  Yet nothing so far indicated that the man was suspicious of Rhienn being that assassin.  Instead the Romulan naming himself tr'Dhael was more concerned about keeping the truth from Rhienn. 

Though it was interesting to note that the idea of incentives caught tr'Dhael's attention. That could be useful.

"Well, if given your full cooperation during this investigation and if your purpose is reasonable then it is likely that we can negotiate with our Federation counterparts to drop any charges that would naturally arise out of a Romulan ship crossing the Neutral Zone without permission of either government."

That tr'Dhael chose then to speak to the suspicion that he and his ship were under was interesting.  "Your word alone is not sufficient.  I will require access to your ships' unaltered logs to verify how long you have been following the USS Amalthea and what other activities you have been involved in - if you wish to solidify your claim of innocence."

"If our purpose is reasonable?" Latihk now gave up on his overly relaxed posture, sitting up straight and leaning forward as he regarded the man intensely with his good eye. "And who decides what is 'reasonable'?" Latihk leaned back again. "I might not have had permission of a governemnt, but I had the permission of riov t'Lhoell." Latihk wondered if Rhienn didn't think that the fact that the Amalthea's Commander's sister came here had something to say. "Let me ask you something; if I may ask a question for a change."  He eyed Rhienn attentively. "What do you think we came here for?"

When Rhienn told him he would need to have access to his ship's logs Latihk nodded. "You can have a look at them, I've got nothing to hide." Not exactly, but he was clever enough to hide everything that might hint at his activities in the blackmarket business. "But you're looking at the wrong guy."

Cadet Tordel t'Movel[/size]

Tordel offered her father a respectful bow in greeting before moving to his bedside. Yet before she could speak the Medical Chief arrived and commented on some disruption that her grandmother must have cause.  Tordel lowered her head apologetically on her grandmother's behalf.  "I too apologize for any disruption my won't cause any trouble, sir... and won't stay long, I promise.  I can see my father needs rest." she answered before lifting her head.

Once the doctor left, Tordel turned her look back to her father and answered his earlier question.   "I'm doing better now..." Her words suggested that while he was unconscious that she'd been troubled.

"Are you okay?" she questioned gently, as she leaned down to give him a light hug. 

When she rose once more her curiosity about what the incident earlier was about prompted a somewhat inappropriate question - but Karinne wasn't present so it should be fine.  "What was d'-enneh-susse complaining about this time?"

Lared heard as the doctor left, seemingly satisfied with their appeasement for now. When his daughter told him that she was better now, he smiled weakly. It felt like the stimulant Captain t'Lhoell had given him earlier had worn off now completely. He felt very tired. But he didn't want to give into that as long as he had the chance to be and speak with his family. At her question he tried for a wider smile and nodded. "I am fine, now that I know I'm alive and be able to see all of you." He lifted his head when she hugged him to gently return the embrace.

His daughter then asked what the argument had been about. Lared huffed and closed his eyes, initially not wanting to elaborate the topic and cause more trouble. But Jinsux really made him think and having Tordel here, his daughter being so very accepting and open to the ways of the Federation while she had a very good understanding of Romulan culture as well ... Lared was kinda curious what she would say - and maybe even help him make a decision.

He hesitated a while longer, ruminating the pros and cons in his head over and over again. "Jinsux ..." he began, his voice hoarse and quiet again, "he commented on the topic of telepathy and he revealed to your d'-enneh-susse and me that he had a friend on Katra who apparently had a habit of being in telepathic contact with him!" He was still slightly annoyed that he had found out like this. But the moment passed as quick as it came. "Of course mother and I too were shocked to hear that. But ..." He sighed. "There was this casualness to the way he spoke about it. And I keep wondering why he wasn't more cautious of this kind of thing. It's not harmless."

He faltered and then suddenly felt at was inappropriate. "I apologize, my daughter. This is nothing I should burden you with or discuss with you." He reached a hand out to touch her comfortingly.

Rayek accepted the Ambassador's platitude of understanding his troubles at adapting to the Federation mindset, though Rayek doubted the Ambassador had any real clue.  The Starfleet officer figured the fellow Romulan was just attempting to put him at ease. 

When asked by the Ambassador if Starfleet had offered any explanation for refusing his commission application, Rayek shook his head.  "They did not.  Nor did I ask.  It was rather self-explanatory. They didn't trust me in a role with any sort of power." he deadpanned.

He glanced to Tess.  He knew she didn't like to hear his opinion on those early days.  She had tried more than once to have him look at the situation from Starfleet's perspective but to Rayek that merely solidified his belief.  He wouldn't have trusted a traitor with a position of power without proof of their true intentions.

It wasn't that Rayek blamed Starfleet for their caution; he was merely stating it plainly.

Rayek went on to explain his promotion. "I was fortunate to be assigned to a ship whose Captain, was willing to overlook my history and judge me merely on my actions from that point on."  He was of course referring to Captain Dylan Torngate - a man that had earned his respect quickly and whom Rayek was pleased to count among those he called friend.  Dylan had even attended his and Tess' wedding. 

"I'm certain it was at his recommendation that I was considered for such a promotion.  That and I believe I may have impressed Admiral Rellek during a specific mission, so much so that she requested me specifically as her XO when she took command of Katra Station."

He listened as Ambassador Jarok suggested that they were working towards having Romulan Military time in service acknowledged immediately by Starfleet.  It was something Rayek had once would have killed for (not literally - he meant it just as an expression presently).

"Surprisingly, no.  I feel I am a better Starfleet officer having had to initially work through the ranks - at least for the start.  I understand now that Starfleet needs to be careful and selective on who and how much leadership they allow exchange personnel have - at least until those individuals prove themselves capable of fitting in and following Starfleet protocol.  Though perhaps at least allowing commissioned enrollment would be sufficient.  If the Romulan individual is skilled and ernest, it won't take them long to regain their comparable higher rank."   

When Rayek answered the question regarding why Starfleet had refused his application initially,  Tess bit her tongue, even as Rayek glanced over at her. She knew his opinion on it and he knew hers. In no way did she want to start a discussion about it in front of the ambassador and his aide nor did she want to make it appear that Rayek's opinion was wrong. It wasn't. Neither was hers. Neither of them could say for sure their point of view was the absolute truth, so she had no issues with Rayek stating his opnion when asked for it.

Jarok listened attentively as Rayek spoke. "You keep referring to 'those who didn't know my past' and 'overlook my history'. Could you please elaborate on what you are referring to exactly?", he asked politely. He didn't mention it but there were some gaps in the data sheet regarding him. He had little hopes that the Commander would actually answer to that. But it was worth asking.

After Rayek shared his thoughts on time served in Romulan Military being acknowledged by Starfleet, Jarok nodded. "Thank you for sharing your opinion, Commander." He took a moment to add to the notes he had in front of him on his padd.

"So, you have been telling us of your initial struggles to fit in. From what I have seen you dealing with the crew and not least given by your rank and position on this ship, it seems quite obvious that you have managed to fit in and acclimatize yourself quite well. If you would be so kind as to tell us in your opinion what steps had helped you to achieve that? Have you made conscious efforts for it or did you get assistance? Of a counselor, probably?"
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2022, 02:21:25 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

"If our purpose is reasonable?" Latihk now gave up on his overly relaxed posture, sitting up straight and leaning forward as he regarded the man intensely with his good eye. "And who decides what is 'reasonable'?" Latihk leaned back again. "I might not have had permission of a government, but I had the permission of riov t'Lhoell." Latihk wondered if Rhienn didn't think that the fact that the Amalthea's Commander's sister came here had something to say. "Let me ask you something; if I may ask a question for a change."  He eyed Rhienn attentively. "What do you think we came here for?"

When Rhienn told him he would need to have access to his ship's logs Latihk nodded. "You can have a look at them, I've got nothing to hide." Not exactly, but he was clever enough to hide everything that might hint at his activities in the blackmarket business. "But you're looking at the wrong guy."

Telmuk knew before the man moved that he'd triggered a reaction with Rhienn's statement.  It was clear that tr'Dhael had an issue with authority.  Question was: Why? 

Unfortunately, the trader was more focused on the phrase used, than thinking about his past, so Telmuk wasn't able to read anything of that.  Though tr'Dhael asked who decided what was reasonable, the man didn't wait for Rhienn to answer before stating he had Riov t'Lhoell's permission, as if that was sufficient answer enough.     

"Unfortunately, the Riov doesn't have the authority to arbitrarily cross the Neutral Zone in what could be misconstrued as an act of war."  Rhienn pointed out.  "Now in answer to your question of 'Who decides what is reasonable?' that would be Ambassador Jarok."

When tr'Dhael sought to turn the questions on him, Telmuk gave the man one of Rhienn's most pleasant smiles.  "It's not my place to guess why.  My role here is to record your answers.  Answers that hopefully will facilitate the Ambassador negotiating on your behalf.  If you give us nothing, we in turn have nothing to respond with while in discussion with Federation when they seek recompense for your illegal traverse of their territory.  It's likely you could end up losing your ship. Or perhaps they will insist on your incarceration... " he remarked casually - noting some possible penalties that could be levied against the Romulan trader.

Telmuk doubted the Federation Captain would demand any of that, especially since she seemed sympathetic to Kemala's cause.  But this man, didn't know that quite yet.   The trader and the other Romulan found aboard had been kept from Kemala, and one another, since the impounding of the Romulan vessel. 

After receiving permission to access the Romulan ship's log, Telmuk made note to do so after this.  It was almost amusing to hear the man state that they were looking for the wrong guy.   Given the man's attraction towards Kemala, Telmuk couldn't help but use that to his advantage.

"If not you.. then perhaps it is 'Riov t'Lhoell?  You did say you came here on her order.  But that seems far-fetched, doesn't it?  What sort of sibling would wish ill to their own brother?   At any rate, it is likely she who will face the heaviest punishment for coming here without permission."  Telmuk didn't list out the punishments Kemala could face. No, he'd let the trader imagine the worst, all on his own.

"So allow me to ask again... what was your purpose here?"

Lared heard as the doctor left, seemingly satisfied with their appeasement for now. When his daughter told him that she was better now, he smiled weakly. It felt like the stimulant Captain t'Lhoell had given him earlier had worn off now completely. He felt very tired. But he didn't want to give into that as long as he had the chance to be and speak with his family. At her question he tried for a wider smile and nodded. "I am fine, now that I know I'm alive and be able to see all of you." He lifted his head when she hugged him to gently return the embrace.

His daughter then asked what the argument had been about. Lared huffed and closed his eyes, initially not wanting to elaborate the topic and cause more trouble. But Jinsux really made him think and having Tordel here, his daughter being so very accepting and open to the ways of the Federation while she had a very good understanding of Romulan culture as well ... Lared was kinda curious what she would say - and maybe even help him make a decision.

He hesitated a while longer, ruminating the pros and cons in his head over and over again. "Jinsux ..." he began, his voice hoarse and quiet again, "he commented on the topic of telepathy and he revealed to your d'-enneh-susse and me that he had a friend on Katra who apparently had a habit of being in telepathic contact with him!" He was still slightly annoyed that he had found out like this. But the moment passed as quick as it came. "Of course mother and I too were shocked to hear that. But ..." He sighed. "There was this casualness to the way he spoke about it. And I keep wondering why he wasn't more cautious of this kind of thing. It's not harmless."

He faltered and then suddenly felt that was inappropriate. "I apologize, my daughter. This is nothing I should burden you with or discuss with you." He reached a hand out to touch her comfortingly.

Tordel gave a slight whistle at hearing of Jinsux's news.  She was a little stunned, but it so explained her brothers mad dash out of the Sickbay.  "D'-eneh-susse must have been livid.  Oh poor Jinsux." she said almost under her breath.  Yet she seemed surprised at her father's apologetic comment. 

"You have nothing to apologize for, eneh.  I understand why you would feel a little out of your comfort zone with such a topic.  Telepathy and everything about it has been painted negatively by our government.  Ever since I was a toddler in school, I heard stories about the vile Reman and how they would steal our memories or implant new ones."  Tordel pointed out.  Though, she had grown up on the outskirts of the Empire, far from Remus, the warning stories had been mandated as part of the curriculum.   

"I remember feeling a bit uncomfortable discussing the topic in class on Katra when it came up as a part of the school assignment in biology." Tordel explained offering up her on uncertainties.  "But Cemee and Jinsux... they never had that experience.  The people they know with such abilities are trusted friends or Starfleet officers who they have only known as being those who help people.  So they wouldn't have a problem opening themselves to sharing their thoughts."   

When Rayek answered the question regarding why Starfleet had refused his application initially,  Tess bit her tongue, even as Rayek glanced over at her. She knew his opinion on it and he knew hers. In no way did she want to start a discussion about it in front of the ambassador and his aide nor did she want to make it appear that Rayek's opinion was wrong. It wasn't. Neither was hers. Neither of them could say for sure their point of view was the absolute truth, so she had no issues with Rayek stating his opinion when asked for it.

Jarok listened attentively as Rayek spoke. "You keep referring to 'those who didn't know my past' and 'overlook my history'. Could you please elaborate on what you are referring to exactly?", he asked politely. He didn't mention it but there were some gaps in the data sheet regarding him. He had little hopes that the Commander would actually answer to that. But it was worth asking.

After Rayek shared his thoughts on time served in Romulan Military being acknowledged by Starfleet, Jarok nodded. "Thank you for sharing your opinion, Commander." He took a moment to add to the notes he had in front of him on his padd.

"So, you have been telling us of your initial struggles to fit in. From what I have seen you dealing with the crew and not least given by your rank and position on this ship, it seems quite obvious that you have managed to fit in and acclimatize yourself quite well. If you would be so kind as to tell us in your opinion what steps had helped you to achieve that? Have you made conscious efforts for it or did you get assistance? Of a counselor, probably?"

When asked to elaborate on his past, Rayek glanced to Tess.  He knew he shouldn't use Tess as his reminder to keep honest but it was very easy when speaking with the Ambassador to want to lie and keep things as hidden as possible, as they still hadn't discovered who had been sent to assassinate him.  The Ambassador and his Aide were among some of the most recent Romulans to the Gamma Quadrant, along with Sirol and Rojol that is.

Rayek let out a long slow breath before speaking again.

"I can only guess what it is that is noted in your file on me, but one thing I'm rather certain is that it does not show me any positive light.  So allow me to clarify and it may help you understand why I am skeptical of your presence on this ship.  I did not arrive in the Federation as a refugee like so many others.  I am a former prisoner of Faicol-lhui and a defector.  Are you certain you wish proceed knowing this?" he asked

While Rayek had thought that would be the end to the interview, he was surprisingly mistaken.  The Ambassador went on to ask about his success in acclimatizing and what methods had helped the most.

"For myself, I found that connecting with my peers was the most difficult, but it was also ultimately the thing that made the rest of my success possible. I did take counseling and it was of benefit.  I would recommend any of our people who have difficulty in trusting others, to begin with that.  Seek out a counselor to talk to and to be honest with yourself and your own motivations."

Telmuk sat quietly recording his brothers answers while the Ambassador questioned him.  Telmuk had to remind himself that this wasn't an interrogation like his talks with the trader and the Centurion.   These talks were a supposed to be friendly interviews to gather information to help understand why the Romulan individuals left the Free State, what had lured them to declare themselves refugees, and determine how they had acclimatized. 

A total waste of time to Telmuk's thinking, which is why he was glad that the Ambassador was taking the lead on this one.  Telmuk wasn't certain he could keep his true feelings kept quiet if he had to be the one questioning Rayek.  It was difficult enough just listening to him. 

When Rayek had spoken about the Federation accepting him despite his history and his past, Telmuk looked a bit surprised.  Had the veruul actually betrayed his oath to the Tal'Shiar?  Telmuk had searched the records on the ship trying to find proof of such but hadn't found anything incriminating.

Telmuk leaned forward slightly in interest as the Ambassador too honed in on this.  Telmuk had expected Rayek to dismiss the question, or downplay it so that it didn't seem so stark... but he'd misjudged his brother's sense of honesty.   His eyes widened as Rayek said outright that he was a former prisoner and a traitor.   'What was his brother thinking admitting to that?!'   

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2022, 03:24:25 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

Telmuk knew before the man moved that he'd triggered a reaction with Rhienn's statement.  It was clear that tr'Dhael had an issue with authority.  Question was: Why? 

Unfortunately, the trader was more focused on the phrase used, than thinking about his past, so Telmuk wasn't able to read anything of that.  Though tr'Dhael asked who decided what was reasonable, the man didn't wait for Rhienn to answer before stating he had Riov t'Lhoell's permission, as if that was sufficient answer enough.     

"Unfortunately, the Riov doesn't have the authority to arbitrarily cross the Neutral Zone in what could be misconstrued as an act of war."  Rhienn pointed out.  "Now in answer to your question of 'Who decides what is reasonable?' that would be Ambassador Jarok."

When tr'Dhael sought to turn the questions on him, Telmuk gave the man one of Rhienn's most pleasant smiles.  "It's not my place to guess why.  My role here is to record your answers.  Answers that hopefully will facilitate the Ambassador negotiating on your behalf.  If you give us nothing, we in turn have nothing to respond with while in discussion with Federation when they seek recompense for your illegal traverse of their territory.  It's likely you could end up losing your ship. Or perhaps they will insist on your incarceration... " he remarked casually - noting some possible penalties that could be levied against the Romulan trader.

Telmuk doubted the Federation Captain would demand any of that, especially since she seemed sympathetic to Kemala's cause.  But this man, didn't know that quite yet.   The trader and the other Romulan found aboard had been kept from Kemala, and one another, since the impounding of the Romulan vessel. 

After receiving permission to access the Romulan ship's log, Telmuk made note to do so after this.  It was almost amusing to hear the man state that they were looking for the wrong guy.   Given the man's attraction towards Kemala, Telmuk couldn't help but use that to his advantage.

"If not you.. then perhaps it is 'Riov t'Lhoell?  You did say you came here on her order.  But that seems far-fetched, doesn't it?  What sort of sibling would wish ill to their own brother?   At any rate, it is likely she who will face the heaviest punishment for coming here without permission."  Telmuk didn't list out the punishments Kemala could face. No, he'd let the trader imagine the worst, all on his own.

"So allow me to ask again... what was your purpose here?"

It wasn't lost on Latihk that tr'Hei casually tried to drop probable grim outcomes for Latihk should he be charged for crossing the Neutral Zone with his ship. He wondered if tr'Hei thought he wasn't aware of that. He very much was. He had been from the very beginning when he agreed to help Kemala.

Then the ambassador's aide changed tactic and pointed out that when in fact it had been Kemala ordering him here, that it would be here facing the severest of the punishments. That too was very much in the range of the possible. In fact, these things had been the topic of discussion between the both of them in the past months. They both were aware of the dangers. And they both in the end had agreed that it's worth a try. Plus, if they would explain to Rayek why they were here, it was likely that no charges would be made or at least that the problems could be smoothed out. That there was an ambassadorial delegation on board at that time was nothing they would have expected.

Latihk frowned when tr'Hei rhetorically asked what kind of sibling would wish harm on their brother? Wasn't he making a point pro them with that? He jumped on the opportunity. "Exactly", he finally spoke. "What kind of sibling would wish harm on their brother. Would it not make much more sense if they tried to protect their sibling?" He would let tr'Hei put two and two together on his own. He even took a step further. "I will tell you this: We did not come here to cause harm, quite the opposite. And a punishment of Riov t'Lhoell will look very bad for the Free State, you are here to represent, right? As far as I know the Free State seeks to cooperate with the Federation."

Tordel gave a slight whistle at hearing of Jinsux's news.  She was a little stunned, but it so explained her brothers mad dash out of the Sickbay.  "D'-eneh-susse must have been livid.  Oh poor Jinsux." she said almost under her breath.  Yet she seemed surprised at her father's apologetic comment. 

"You have nothing to apologize for, eneh.  I understand why you would feel a little out of your comfort zone with such a topic.  Telepathy and everything about it has been painted negatively by our government.  Ever since I was a toddler in school, I heard stories about the vile Reman and how they would steal our memories or implant new ones."  Tordel pointed out.  Though, she had grown up on the outskirts of the Empire, far from Remus, the warning stories had been mandated as part of the curriculum.   

"I remember feeling a bit uncomfortable discussing the topic in class on Katra when it came up as a part of the school assignment in biology." Tordel explained offering up her on uncertainties.  "But Cemee and Jinsux... they never had that experience.  The people they know with such abilities are trusted friends or Starfleet officers who they have only known as being those who help people.  So they wouldn't have a problem opening themselves to sharing their thoughts."   

Lared looked at his daughter a little alarmed when she revealed that she thought the dangers about telepathy had only been given by their former government - somewhat indicating that there probably wasn't really a threat to it.

What she said in the end though made him see clearer. He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment. "I guess ... the thing that makes telepathy scary for us is the lack of control and the lack of trust we usually have in each other. Which, among Romulans, surely is warranted. But ... I think I can see that among Federationers there is less harm to be expected." Still he felt rather uneasy about it.

The big question it all came down to was: did he trust Rayek tr'Lhoell enough to allow him in his thoughts?

When asked to elaborate on his past, Rayek glanced to Tess.  He knew he shouldn't use Tess as his reminder to keep honest but it was very easy when speaking with the Ambassador to want to lie and keep things as hidden as possible, as they still hadn't discovered who had been sent to assassinate him.  The Ambassador and his Aide were among some of the most recent Romulans to the Gamma Quadrant, along with Sirol and Rojol that is.

Rayek let out a long slow breath before speaking again.

"I can only guess what it is that is noted in your file on me, but one thing I'm rather certain is that it does not show me any positive light.  So allow me to clarify and it may help you understand why I am skeptical of your presence on this ship.  I did not arrive in the Federation as a refugee like so many others.  I am a former prisoner of Faicol-lhui and a defector.  Are you certain you wish proceed knowing this?" he asked

While Rayek had thought that would be the end to the interview, he was surprisingly mistaken.  The Ambassador went on to ask about his success in acclimatizing and what methods had helped the most.

"For myself, I found that connecting with my peers was the most difficult, but it was also ultimately the thing that made the rest of my success possible. I did take counseling and it was of benefit.  I would recommend any of our people who have difficulty in trusting others, to begin with that.  Seek out a counselor to talk to and to be honest with yourself and your own motivations."

Telmuk sat quietly recording his brothers answers while the Ambassador questioned him.  Telmuk had to remind himself that this wasn't an interrogation like his talks with the trader and the Centurion.   These talks were a supposed to be friendly interviews to gather information to help understand why the Romulan individuals left the Free State, what had lured them to declare themselves refugees, and determine how they had acclimatized. 

A total waste of time to Telmuk's thinking, which is why he was glad that the Ambassador was taking the lead on this one.  Telmuk wasn't certain he could keep his true feelings kept quiet if he had to be the one questioning Rayek.  It was difficult enough just listening to him. 

When Rayek had spoken about the Federation accepting him despite his history and his past, Telmuk looked a bit surprised.  Had the veruul actually betrayed his oath to the Tal'Shiar?  Telmuk had searched the records on the ship trying to find proof of such but hadn't found anything incriminating.

Telmuk leaned forward slightly in interest as the Ambassador too honed in on this.  Telmuk had expected Rayek to dismiss the question, or downplay it so that it didn't seem so stark... but he'd misjudged his brother's sense of honesty.   His eyes widened as Rayek said outright that he was a former prisoner and a traitor.   'What was his brother thinking admitting to that?!'   

When Rayek looked at her, Tess gave him an encouraging smile along with a supportive nod. She was so proud of him that he made an effort to be honest and was above his past. She remembered when he had been so secretive and tried to his everything. He was so open now regarding many things - not to everyone and not about everything. But this here, admitting to his past in front of two fellow Romulans - was something Rayek surely wouldn't have done back then. Or being open about his ability with the crew. Tess wanted to believe that it did him good.

Jarok didn't want to give away what was noted in his file about Rayek. But he appreciated the man's honesty and frankly, was a little surprised about it. But since Rayek mentioned he wasn't sure what he already knew, it was smart to open and not play 'dumb'.

When Rayek offered the reason why he was skeptical of their presence here along with mentioning that he had been a former prisoner, Jarok raised his hand. "I assure you, we are not here to collect former prisoners ... or defectors, although we don't like to use that term anymore. Let me reassure you of our goal to just survey how well the Romulan population has integrated into Starfleet and the Federation." He paused to make a note on his padd, adding to it what informatin Rayek just had offered. Then he answered to his question, if he wanted to proceed knowing this. "I'm willing to listen to any background information you wish to share. Your case is special in many ways."

At Rayek's recommendation about counseling for Romulans who wished to live among the Federation, Jarok nodded and dutifully made a note about that. "These kind of insights are the things we are trying to understand and evaluate. Thank you, Commander."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2022, 12:45:22 pm »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

It wasn't lost on Latihk that tr'Hei casually tried to drop probable grim outcomes for Latihk should he be charged for crossing the Neutral Zone with his ship. He wondered if tr'Hei thought he wasn't aware of that. He very much was. He had been from the very beginning when he agreed to help Kemala.

Then the ambassador's aide changed tactic and pointed out that when in fact it had been Kemala ordering him here, that it would be her facing the severest of the punishments. That too was very much in the range of the possible. In fact, these things had been the topic of discussion between the both of them in the past months. They both were aware of the dangers. And they both in the end had agreed that it's worth a try. Plus, if they would explain to Rayek why they were here, it was likely that no charges would be made or at least that the problems could be smoothed out. That there was an ambassadorial delegation on board at that time was nothing they would have expected.

Latihk frowned when tr'Hei rhetorically asked what kind of sibling would wish harm on their brother? Wasn't he making a point pro them with that? He jumped on the opportunity. "Exactly", he finally spoke. "What kind of sibling would wish harm on their brother. Would it not make much more sense if they tried to protect their sibling?" He would let tr'Hei put two and two together on his own. He even took a step further. "I will tell you this: We did not come here to cause harm, quite the opposite. And a punishment of Riov t'Lhoell will look very bad for the Free State, you are here to represent, right? As far as I know the Free State seeks to cooperate with the Federation."

Telmuk gave a slight huff as every question put to the man who called himself 'Aefau tr'Dhael' was deflected or answered so vaguely as to be not an answer at all. 

Worse yet, the man's restating of his question, had Telmuk realize his own slip.  He'd been referring to himself in that statement not Rayek.  He'd initially meant it as how could Kemala come here to stop him.. but neither she nor this man knew that Kemala and he were siblings or that he too was at risk should he fail.  That the question also applied between he and Rayek as brothers was dismissed immediately.  Rayek had made his choice when he defected; he chose to leave family behind.  Telmuk was merely choosing loyalty to his people over a clanless traitor.  He had nothing to feel guilty over.  He didn't.  Truly, he didn't.

Yet Kemala's presence here, so far from home - having traveled across half the galaxy to reach the Gamma quadrant- suggested that, to her at least, family meant more than her career or her ties to the Free State and its people.

Because Telmuk didn't want to doubt the justness of what he'd done, his subconscious buried his growing uncertainty in a burst of anger at the man's statement.

"You will tell me?!  Ha! You haven't spoken a single phrase that tells me a damn thing! You dodge and evade even straight forward questions such as 'What is your name?  Or your purpose here?'  There's nothing you can tell me now that I won't doubt or be suspicious of!  You think you're helping my..." Telmuk caught himself and rephrased.  "You think you are helping Riov t'Lhoell and Commander tr'Lhoell.  But your evasion has only made this more suspicious.  This interview is over!" he spat in an uncharacteristic manner for the normally quiet aide.

Telmuk rose and headed for the door.

Lared looked at his daughter a little alarmed when she revealed that she thought the dangers about telepathy had only been given by their former government - somewhat indicating that there probably wasn't really a threat to it.

What she said in the end though made him see clearer. He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment. "I guess ... the thing that makes telepathy scary for us is the lack of control and the lack of trust we usually have in each other. Which, among Romulans, surely is warranted. But ... I think I can see that among Federationers there is less harm to be expected." Still he felt rather uneasy about it.

The big question it all came down to was: did he trust Rayek tr'Lhoell enough to allow him in his thoughts?

Tordel smiled at her father's very accurate words and nodded.   "Very true.  I'd trust you, eneh."  She paused pensive a moment.  "I might even trust most of those I work closely with.  We've been through so much together.  They are almost like family... so I can see how Jinsux with no trust issues can easily open himself to his friend.   Try not to worry, eneh.  The worst that he has to hide is where we kids keep our candy stash." she said lightly in joke.

There was the sound of muffled snickering from just beyond the drawn curtain that gave the pair their privacy, before Phara stepped through.  "I'd found that a long time ago, actually.  I just left it because you kids usually had less sweets than most of the children on the station because of your d'eneh-susse."

Phara looked between her husband and daughter having caught the tail end of their conversation.

"I caught up to Jinsux.  He's waiting in the hall, afraid to go home." she stated.

Phara looked to her eldest.  "Can you please wait with him while I talk with you father?"

Tordel nodded before leaning down to give her dad one last hug.  "I'll stop by later, after my shift." Then headed out to the hall.

Phara looked to her husband in concern.  She hated having to tire him more but Jinsux had her very worried. "Jinsux is completely unresponsive to my questions as to what happened. All he keeps repeating is that Tidu is not an abomination.   What is this about, e'lev?" she questioned gently.

When Rayek looked at her, Tess gave him an encouraging smile along with a supportive nod. She was so proud of him that he made an effort to be honest and was above his past. She remembered when he had been so secretive and tried to his everything. He was so open now regarding many things - not to everyone and not about everything. But this here, admitting to his past in front of two fellow Romulans - was something Rayek surely wouldn't have done back then. Or being open about his ability with the crew. Tess wanted to believe that it did him good.

Jarok didn't want to give away what was noted in his file about Rayek. But he appreciated the man's honesty and frankly, was a little surprised about it. But since Rayek mentioned he wasn't sure what he already knew, it was smart to open and not play 'dumb'.

When Rayek offered the reason why he was skeptical of their presence here along with mentioning that he had been a former prisoner, Jarok raised his hand. "I assure you, we are not here to collect former prisoners ... or defectors, although we don't like to use that term anymore. Let me reassure you of our goal to just survey how well the Romulan population has integrated into Starfleet and the Federation." He paused to make a note on his padd, adding to it what information Rayek just had offered. Then he answered to his question, if he wanted to proceed knowing this. "I'm willing to listen to any background information you wish to share. Your case is special in many ways."

At Rayek's recommendation about counseling for Romulans who wished to live among the Federation, Jarok nodded and dutifully made a note about that. "These kind of insights are the things we are trying to understand and evaluate. Thank you, Commander."

Tess' smile and encouraging nod made Rayek glad that he'd offered up the truth - or at least part of it.

Jarok seemed willing to continuing, but the aide had a bit more surprise and even hardness to his features after Rayek's admission.  It seemed not all were as open as the Ambassador.

Turning to face the aide directly, Rayek held the man's gaze - silently daring him to openly make comment or judge him for his choices.  But that staring contest didn't last long, before the aide glanced aside, almost trembling.  For a moment, the way that the aide glanced aside, it reminded Rayek of the battle of wills he and his brother used to have.   Rayek being far older always won.  What an odd reminiscence.

With a sigh, Rayek returned his glance to Jarok as the man claimed that they didn't like to use the word traitor.  Rayek smirked.  Was he now being considered by another name? Vang'radam perhaps... it meant the same thing.  Or perhaps ryak'na?

"While I appreciate your word of reassurance, but the fact that my sister is here in the Gamma Quadrant to warn me of an assassination attempt on my life, and that I have a dead officer and others still in hospital due to a suspicious explosion, tells me others don't think like you and hold a grudge at my decision to choose my own path after they would have had me killed years ago." he stated.

He met Jarok's gaze, wondering if he too would turn aside - like the aide - trembling in fear of his telepathy.   For some inexplicable reason Rayek felt the desire to explain himself and his decision.  He wanted to be sure this was known long after he was gone. "My abandoning what was left of the Empire is a direct result of them betraying me first.  They chose to fear what I knew and what I could do.  But not once have I betrayed my people.  What secrets I might know, that they feared me for... I have never divulged to any in the Federation, nor will I ever.  My loyalty is to the Federation now but I won't betray the responsibilities I once held to my people when with the Empire.  You tell them that the next you are home." 

Rayek glanced to Tess, not feeling like he wanted to remain longer but uncertain if she thought he might have taken this a bit too far.

He stood up.  "Any further questions you have you can send in a message.  I will answer them by video.  I have said what I came say."

When he was given the task from Vandar to kill Rayek, Telmuk never thought he would have to stare his brother in the eye after that attempt.  Fvadt! Had he some left a clue behind implicating himself? Or was Rayek using his own ability to read his thoughts... suspicious of him just by default as being part of the government?  Intense and repetitive training had him putting up a mental shield around his thoughts as he averted his gaze.  Was this where his brother would find everything out?  Dammit! 

He had to be ready to act.  And Telmuk knew exactly what he would do.  Rayek wouldn't do anything if he took the woman hostage. 

His hands trembled ready to move.  Ready to react to his brother's next action.

... But Rayek didn't act.  Instead his brother let out a disappointed sigh and turned to continue speaking to Jarok.  What the...?!  Telmuk glanced over but Rayek seemed to truly have dismissed him as unimportant with his full attention on the Ambassador... as he claimed to have been betrayed first, and that he'd never given up secrets to the Federation.

Telmuk didn't know if such statements mattered when it came right down to how the Tal'Shiar viewed his brother; but Telmuk was beginning to think he'd misjudged his brother.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 02:05:30 pm by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2022, 08:16:32 am »

Latihk tr'Kheiin

Telmuk gave a slight huff as every question put to the man who called himself 'Aefau tr'Dhael' was deflected or answered so vaguely as to be not an answer at all. 

Worse yet, the man's restating of his question, had Telmuk realize his own slip.  He'd been referring to himself in that statement not Rayek.  He'd initially meant it as how could Kemala come here to stop him.. but neither she nor this man knew that Kemala and he were siblings or that he too was at risk should he fail.  That the question also applied between he and Rayek as brothers was dismissed immediately.  Rayek had made his choice when he defected; he chose to leave family behind.  Telmuk was merely choosing loyalty to his people over a clanless traitor.  He had nothing to feel guilty over.  He didn't.  Truly, he didn't.

Yet Kemala's presence here, so far from home - having traveled across half the galaxy to reach the Gamma quadrant- suggested that, to her at least, family meant more than her career or her ties to the Free State and its people.

Because Telmuk didn't want to doubt the justness of what he'd done, his subconscious buried his growing uncertainty in a burst of anger at the man's statement.

"You will tell me?!  Ha! You haven't spoken a single phrase that tells me a damn thing! You dodge and evade even straight forward questions such as 'What is your name?  Or your purpose here?'  There's nothing you can tell me now that I won't doubt or be suspicious of!  You think you're helping my..." Telmuk caught himself and rephrased.  "You think you are helping Riov t'Lhoell and Commander tr'Lhoell.  But your evasion has only made this more suspicious.  This interview is over!" he spat in an uncharacteristic manner for the normally quiet aide.

Telmuk rose and headed for the door.

The sudden outburst caught Latihk by surprise. He didn't flinch, but his body tensed up momentarily and his eye widened as he fixated on the other Romulan with alarm. Once he realized the man wasn't trying to harm him physically, he could concentrate more on the words he said - basically he vented his frustration that Latihk hadn't told him anything. It seemed the aide was not very practiced in doing these kind of interviews. He narrowed his eyes a little when tr'Hei faltered at 'my...' and then rephrased to refer to Kemala and Rayek. How odd.

Latihk didn't think about that any further when the aide announced that the interview was over. Surely the man's report would not make Latihk shine in the best light. But he hoped together with Kemala's testimony, all of them - including Taheen - would be good in the end.

His good eye followed the man as he headed for the door. He simply gave him a nod and waited a moment longer after he was gone to then leave the room as well, heading back to his quarters, accompanied by the Security officer. Latihk wanted to speak to Kemala but he doubted that Kemala had a short interview like he had.

[USS Amalthea - Deck 7 - Guest quarters] (a month prior)

Jarok entered the quarters to which the suspect was confined for the time being. When he came to the Gamma quadrant, he didn't think he would have to do this kind of investigation. But here they were. He asked the guard to wait outside and then moved to sit at the table, inviting Kemala with a gesture to do the same. He accessed his datapadd, which he had put before him, and started audio recording.

"I am Virahk Jarok, Ambassador of the Romulan Free State. We are here now to investigate your presence here." He looked at the woman who was also the Commander's sister. The family resemblence was unmistakable. "Please state your full name and your occupation, respectively your rank and assignment if you are in the military." Of course Jarok already had information on that on his padd, he merely sought to confirm them.

Tordel smiled at her father's very accurate words and nodded.   "Very true.  I'd trust you, eneh."  She paused pensive a moment.  "I might even trust most of those I work closely with.  We've been through so much together.  They are almost like family... so I can see how Jinsux with no trust issues can easily open himself to his friend.   Try not to worry, eneh.  The worst that he has to hide is where we kids keep our candy stash." she said lightly in joke.

There was the sound of muffled snickering from just beyond the drawn curtain that gave the pair their privacy, before Phara stepped through.  "I'd found that a long time ago, actually.  I just left it because you kids usually had less sweets than most of the children on the station because of your d'eneh-susse."

Phara looked between her husband and daughter having caught the tail end of their conversation.

"I caught up to Jinsux.  He's waiting in the hall, afraid to go home." she stated.

Phara looked to her eldest.  "Can you please wait with him while I talk with you father?"

Tordel nodded before leaning down to give her dad one last hug.  "I'll stop by later, after my shift." Then headed out to the hall.

Phara looked to her husband in concern.  She hated having to tire him more but Jinsux had her very worried. "Jinsux is completely unresponsive to my questions as to what happened. All he keeps repeating is that Tidu is not an abomination.   What is this about, e'lev?" she questioned gently.

That his daughter actually managaed to make him smirk a little bit said a lot about their relationship. Then hearing his wife adding to that he looked at her with gentle eyes as she joined them. The smile disappeared when Phara mentioned that Jinsux was afraid to go home now. When his daughter then embraced him, he lifted his hands a little bit, still too weak to hug her back properly, and nodded. "Have a good shift, my daughter."

Lared then looked to his wife and immediately saw the concern on her face. He took a breath and closed his eyes for a moment. He had the feeling this topic was something that would need be worked out by all of them for a while. He hated that he couldn't be present to stabilize his home.

"Mother ...", Lared sighed. "The topic of Commander tr'Lhoell's telepathy came up when she saw that he had left unsatisfied. Jinsux spoke up ... you know how he is ..." The boy, when eager about something, struggled to stick to rules of behaviour. "He told us about his friend on Katra and that he was communicating with him telepathically." Lared looked to Phara to get a sense of if she kenw about this. To him it had been a rather shocking surprise.

But it was not only this that weighed on his mind. But that he needed to make a decision about that very topic and he wasn't going to make that decision on his own but he would hear his wife's opinion first. But bringing it up was not something that was easy for the Romulan.

Tess' smile and encouraging nod made Rayek glad that he'd offered up the truth - or at least part of it.

Jarok seemed willing to continuing, but the aide had a bit more surprise and even hardness to his features after Rayek's admission.  It seemed not all were as open as the Ambassador.

Turning to face the aide directly, Rayek held the man's gaze - silently daring him to openly make comment or judge him for his choices.  But that staring contest didn't last long, before the aide glanced aside, almost trembling.  For a moment, the way that the aide glanced aside, it reminded Rayek of the battle of wills he and his brother used to have.   Rayek being far older always won.  What an odd reminiscence.

With a sigh, Rayek returned his glance to Jarok as the man claimed that they didn't like to use the word traitor.  Rayek smirked.  Was he now being considered by another name? Vang'radam perhaps... it meant the same thing.  Or perhaps ryak'na?

"While I appreciate your word of reassurance, but the fact that my sister is here in the Gamma Quadrant to warn me of an assassination attempt on my life, and that I have a dead officer and others still in hospital due to a suspicious explosion, tells me others don't think like you and hold a grudge at my decision to choose my own path after they would have had me killed years ago." he stated.

He met Jarok's gaze, wondering if he too would turn aside - like the aide - trembling in fear of his telepathy.   For some inexplicable reason Rayek felt the desire to explain himself and his decision.  He wanted to be sure this was known long after he was gone. "My abandoning what was left of the Empire is a direct result of them betraying me first.  They chose to fear what I knew and what I could do.  But not once have I betrayed my people.  What secrets I might know, that they feared me for... I have never divulged to any in the Federation, nor will I ever.  My loyalty is to the Federation now but I won't betray the responsibilities I once held to my people when with the Empire.  You tell them that the next you are home." 

Rayek glanced to Tess, not feeling like he wanted to remain longer but uncertain if she thought he might have taken this a bit too far.

He stood up.  "Any further questions you have you can send in a message.  I will answer them by video.  I have said what I came say."

When he was given the task from Vandar to kill Rayek, Telmuk never thought he would have to stare his brother in the eye after that attempt.  Fvadt! Had he some left a clue behind implicating himself? Or was Rayek using his own ability to read his thoughts... suspicious of him just by default as being part of the government?  Intense and repetitive training had him putting up a mental shield around his thoughts as he averted his gaze.  Was this where his brother would find everything out?  Dammit! 

He had to be ready to act.  And Telmuk knew exactly what he would do.  Rayek wouldn't do anything if he took the woman hostage. 

His hands trembled ready to move.  Ready to react to his brother's next action.

... But Rayek didn't act.  Instead his brother let out a disappointed sigh and turned to continue speaking to Jarok.  What the...?!  Telmuk glanced over but Rayek seemed to truly have dismissed him as unimportant with his full attention on the Ambassador... as he claimed to have been betrayed first, and that he'd never given up secrets to the Federation.

Telmuk didn't know if such statements mattered when it came right down to how the Tal'Shiar viewed his brother; but Telmuk was beginning to think he'd misjudged his brother.

It wasn't the first time in this conversation that Jarok felt the Commander didn't believe in the changed thinking that  the Free State had embraced. Nor did tr'Lhoell seem very impressed with his assurance that he was sympathetic to Rayek's situation. Though not comparable in all respects, Virahk knew what it meant to be a member of a family that was considered traitors. His father Alidar had once been considered one of the most feared and successful admirals in the Romulan fleet. The Norkan campaigns was the highlight of his career, in which the Norkan outposts near the border of the Romulan territory were completely destroyed. But then, as his sister was then born, his father realized that a new war could destroy the Romulan Empire and so he tried to convince the High Command of this until he became a nuisance to them and he was transferred to command an insignificant far away sector. Convinced he was doing the right thing, his father risked - and lost - his life in the Federation - underhandedly tricked by Commander Tomalak. Virahk had learned late of his father's true fate. He had grown up with the shame of being the son of a traitor.

But all that was something Jarok did not want to bring up here and now. He made a mental note to perhaps speak to the Commander privately sometime. It was important to him, indeed he considered it extremely important, to gain the trust of the Romulan Commander.

Jarok nodded when Rayek restated his belief that there was someone behind the scenes of the Romulan Government that was still after Rayek. While Virahk knew that there were actually efforts made to redeem 'defectors' he didn't want to dismiss the Commander's suspicion. "I understand", he said with a nod. "If that is the case, we will assist in any way we can to help and find the perpetrator."

At Rayek's explanation and frustration with the former Romulan Government, Jarok listened respectfully. "It shall be noted", he assured. Then the Commander seemed to have enough of the conversation and Jarok didn't try to stop him. He too stood up. "Thank you, Commander, for your time and your ingenious insights. I appreciate it a great deal." He bowed his head slightly to him and then turned to the Commander's wife. "Thank you, too, Captain."

Tess thought that it must be freeing for Rayek to set something straight that had painted a target on his back for all those years. She knew how much he always lived in fear that the Tal'Shiar still was searching for him and would eventually find him. Maybe this was a first step to a life without this fear.

She was glad neither the ambassador nor the aide made any snarky comments about him - though what they thought in their minds she could only guess. At least the ambassador seemed to be willing to be understanding of him. The aide's reaction Tess couldn't really make sense of.

Rayek - rather abruptly - declared the meeting to be over. When he stood up, she did the same. She glanced over to the ambassador, but he didn't seem to want to drag this on. When he thanked her, she dipped her head and then turned to leave with Rayek.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 12:04:46 pm by Tess tLhoell »
Tess' biography