Author Topic: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?  (Read 7284 times)

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2022, 01:32:52 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Sickbay]

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Silence fell over them for a moment, and Tess gnawed slightly at her lip as she thought about how to proceed from here. The abrupt movement of Rayek's head, turning it away from Lared, caught her attention. Was he thinking about the same thing as she?
She knew Rayek would not make that suggestion. She also recognized that there was a chance that Lared would refuse to participate. But an open straightforward question with giving him the choice to agree or to decline didn't seem bad.

Tess quietly cleared her throat before she spoke to Lared. "Thank you for your statement, Ensign. It is high priority to solve this incident, what and who has caused it." Since Lared had figured as much that the explosion had not been an accident, she thought she could be open to him about them assuming the same and intending to find the culprit. "In the past weeks we have been analysing everything we could, but whoever was on the job, did a thorough one. Every piece of information and evidence is vital." She paused as she glanced to Rayek briefly. Was he getting what she was about to suggest? Looking back to Lared she continued. "As you have come to know, Commander tr'Lhoell possesses the ability of telepathy. Part of his ability is to be able to retrieve information, even if that information is not available on the conscious memory of the person anymore." Tess saw Lared's face turning stonily. "I assure you it's safe."

Lared looked away from Tess, but also avoided eye-contact with Rayek for a moment. "I really want to be of help, but ... letting someone else into my mind is ...  It's wrong. I could never allow anyone to do that, it's unnatural."

That's going to be tough, Tess thought. They needed to convince him. "Any concerns or questions you might have, please feel free to voice them and we both will answer them to best of our abilities." She glanced to Rayek, hoping he would agree.

Unable to bring himself to broach that option with tr'Movel, Rayek was prepared to leave the Romulan to recuperate while he continued his fruitless investigation elsewhere, and at first it seemed Tess agreed with him, thanking the Ensign for the responses he had provided.  However, Tess didn't stop there.  She went on to point out the weeks of investigation that had already been done. 

At her words, Rayek turned his head towards her and noted her quick glance in his direction.  'What was she up to?' he wondered as he cast a questioning glance towards her but by then it was too late, Tess had already brought up his telepathy.   Rayek fought to keep the grimace from his face and just barely kept from face-palming, as Tess suggested memory retrieval.  The stoney look on Lared's face told Rayek all he really needed to know. 

Yet Tess was undeterred, assuring Lared that it was safe.  But as expected the answer from the fellow Romulan was a 'hard pass' - Lared saying he would never allow someone into his mind.  Calling it wrong and unnatural.  Despite his paranoid suspicions of Lared, this reaction didn't give Rayek any further confirmation.   This fear of telepathy was a common Romulan trait; and the reason why the ability had likely been kept hidden and untapped in his family for who knew how many generations?   

Rayek nodded his acceptance of Lared's answer even as Tess tried to suggest that they could answer any questions tr'Movel might have.   But there was no point; Rayek couldn't see the man changing his mind; especially if Lared was the one who had cause the explosion.  Which Rayek didn't want to believe, but possibly made the most sense. 

Rayek's reaction to the flight officer's response however couldn't show his doubts about the man or it might tip him off. "I understand and respect your choice, Ensign.  I truly do.  I grew up with those same taught and enforced intolerances, and still feel them to this day to varying degrees." 

Rayek's dislike of Vulcans for example. 

"I don't blame you for calling it wrong and unnatural; I thought the same about it myself once, even though for me it was an ability I was born with."  Yes, as much as he hated to admit it, Rayek had that in common with his Vulcan cousins.

"I'll find some other evidence to lead me to who caused the explosion.  I won't let Verlok's death go avenged." That was a subtle warning to the man.
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2022, 11:07:39 am »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess' hope for Rayek to join in on convincing Lared to agree to the memory retrieval procedure was in vain. He rather offered his understanding to the man and expressed his determination to find the person responsible for the shuttle explosion. It dawned on Tess that her suggestion had not been wanted by Rayek. But she couldn't be considerate of that in this situation. That an attempt had been made on her husband was bad enough. The fear for him that had been with her the past weeks since the incident was horrible. But what - as a Captain - was even more important to her was that a new probable attempt also risked her crew. She would not allow for her husband or any of her crew be harmed again, or worse.

Tess watched Lared's face when Rayek mentioned Verlok's death. The expression of shocked realization suggested to Tess that he had not been aware of it. Maybe this would provide some leverage to sway the Romulan. She nodded in addition to Rayek's words. "The attack resulted not only in severe injuries of the crew", she nodded towards Lared and glanced to Rayek. "But sadly, Lieutenant Verlok lost his life that day. Or should I say, he gave his life - for everyone who's been on the shuttle. This includes you, Ensign. We will find out who is responsible for that. Knowing that you possess a piece of the puzzle, a vital piece, puts me into a dilemma. I want to respect your right to decide what happens to you, but as a Captain, I need you to reconsider." She didn't make it an order, but it surely sounded like one. As Tess had spoken, her voice had not been in the soft and friendly tone she usually spoke in. There was a hardness and urge to her voice which also showed in her eyes as she regarded Lared intensely.

NPC Ensign Lared tr'Movel

Lared looked at Rayek as he told him he understood his decision. He was glad that he said that. He was his Commanding Officer, after all. And refusing something the Captain wanted was not something he should expect understanding for. This surely was a difference from the Romulan military. He didn't know what to think about Rayek's statements of understanding. Could he really understand, as a telepath? Although Lared considered Rayek a friend, after the revelation the Romulan's view on him had changed, even if he didn't show it to Rayek.

Lared was about to thank Rayek that he didn't force the topic when a detail of what he had said caught his attention. Verlok's death? The Vulcan Lieutenant ... he had died in the explosion? That was a shock. Before he could grasp the notion completely, the Captain spoke again. The way she looked at him had changed, though. Her face was dead serious and almost all traces of compassion and good-heartedness were hidden behind a most determined look. What she then said, not only the fact that the Lieutenant had died but apparently had sacrificed himself for his crew mates - which included him, as the Captain rightly pointed out - struck the Romulan hard. He suddenly felt a little overwhelmed and longed to slip back into the quiteness and rest of his coma.
Her urgent plea came to an end and the Romulan sat there frozen for a long moment. He wanted to help, really, but the thought of a mental intrusion was more than he could bear. But was it something he owed the dead Lieutenant for saving his life?

Letting out an exasperated sigh, he slowly glanced towards Rayek. "What ... What would be involved in this procedure?", he asked reluctantly. He had not agreed yet. But just inquired about how that telepathy thing would theoretically work.
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 11:20:01 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

The shock on Lared's face told Rayek that Tess hadn't yet told the pilot about Verlok's death, and his assertion to avenge the Vulcan had 'let the cat out of the bag' - as the saying goes.   Before he could explain, Tess did; but in doing so Rayek noted she stressed the important of the information Lared's memory might have for the investigation.  Rayek recognized the statement as a bit of a 'guilt-trip'.

However, Tess didn't leave it as just a 'guilt-trip'; she actually said to Lared that she needed him to reconsider.  It wasn't a request, yet not exactly an order.  It was a need... something Tess needed of Lared... and it seemed by Lared's reluctant words to learn more that he was no longer so certain that what they asked was unallowable.

However it wasn't just Lared that was uncertain.  Rayek too was hesitant to use his ability on any other than Tess, especially after Rahul's reaction. Yet there was no way Rayek would refuse to try if that's what Tess needed from him.  All that was needed was for Lared to agree.

"If you permitted, I would ask you to once more go over your statement as to what happened.  That would trigger your memory engrams of the incident bringing them to the forefront of your mind and into your immediate thoughts; which is the least invasive place of the mind to read.  I would from there be able to see clearly the details your mind recorded but that you are unable to access fully.  Details such as the error code on the flight console as you were attempting to stop the overload."  Rayek explained, after taking a moment to set aside his own reluctance with this plan.

"I can do so overtly so that you are aware of my presence in your mind - which can be disturbing and off-putting to some... or I can slip in and locate the memory without you even being aware of my presence."  Which for some might be even more disturbing than if they felt him - not knowing when or if he had entered their mind and then afterwards distrustful, silently questioning whether was he reading them without permission.
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2022, 08:06:24 am »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

If that mental connection and probing was something Rayek actually would feel comfortable with was something Tess didn't even consider in that moment. She was most anxious about convincing Lared. His hesitant question to ask what was involved in the procedure was a step forward but Tess could see that he would rather not ask or be asked at all. While Rayek explained to him how it worked, the uneasy, frozen expression on the Romulan's face didn't soften or relax, rather the opposite. A moment of silence passed in which Lared seemed to consider how he should answer.

"Thank you for the explanation, Commander", he eventually said very slowly. "I will be honest with you, I ... I can't see myself living with the knowledge that someone ... was in the privacy of my mind. I ask respite on this matter."

Tess had hoped for a different answer. But she also understood that this was a big favour to ask. Also, the timing was probably not the best. The man had just woken out of a week-long coma. Without having seen his family yet he was confronted with the facts of an assassination attempt being made and the death of a crew member and being expected to make a very difficult decision. Tess glanced to Rayek, her face showing that she was ready to back off for now, let him recover a little more and have time to think about the thing they wanted from him.
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2022, 01:04:39 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

It wasn't like Rayek had truly wanted to use his telepathy; yet, still when Lared asked for respite and stated that he didn't ever see himself agreeing, Rayek felt like he had let both Tess and Verlok down by not being more convincing.  But it was hard to convince others that  something was good when you barely felt the sentiment yourself.  Though Rayek was completely comfortable with melding with his wife, and even bonding with his infant son, the thought of connecting to another's mind after so much negative - what with the Pa'nar and the Rah'ul reaction.   

Maybe there were better ways to retrieve the memories.  Hypnosis or meditation maybe?  Tess might know of alternatives  - they were likely slower and more therapy driven but might be more acceptable.   Rayek looked to Tess and was glad to see she seemed to accept Lared's response. 

Turning back to Lared, Rayek realized that his pause in answering might be misconstrued, so he smiled to the recuperating Romulan as he assured the man of the sanctity of his mind.  "Very well. I will press no further. Contact me, however, if you remember more." 

Rayek paused his recording and offered the Romulan flight officer a slight bow. "We will leave you to rest with your family. Thank you for your time."

He gestured for Tess to precede him out of the room, then followed behind.  Upon passing the the awaiting s'Movel family, Rayek made a point to offer silent nods of greeting to Phara and the children, and even offered a respectful half bow towards Karinne - but he didn't linger long.  There were things to do and an investigation that still needed to be solved.

Walking alongside Tess, Rayek decided to broach his idea of other possible methods of memory retrieval.  "It is unlikely that Lared will have a change his opinion of my reading his memories, so I was thinking of other ways we might approach the problem.  Are you familiar with the practice of hypnotism?"   

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2022, 04:35:03 am »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess joined in on Rayek thanking tr'Movel by nodded her head and giving him a soft smile. When they then stepped out to where the rest of the s'Movel family was waiting, Tess gave them a wider smile. "He is still very exhausted and tired, but he is awake. I'm sure you can go in and say hello to him, but maybe not too long as he needs some more rest."

She then left with Rayek, walking down the corridor at his side. Hearing him say he had thought about other ways to reach the lost memories Tess looked to him, curious what he might suggest. "Hypnotysm? I know what it is but I have never practiced it myself or having it practiced on me." She bit her lip for a moment as she pondered the possibilities. "I'm doubtful we will find someone on this ship who knows how to do that. But perhaps there is a holodeck program for that?"

They rounded the corner as they walked towards the nearest turbolift. "Do you think Lared will be suitable for such a procedure?" She wondered if his wary and alert mindset would allow him to relax enough to let himself in for it.

"Oh, by the way. How did the talk with Ben go?" she asked almost cautiously. It was only then that she seemed to look at her husband properly and she noticed a smudge of lipstick on his lips. Her face broke out into a fit of giggles and she tugged gently at Rayek’s arm to stop him. "Did you run around like that the whole time?", she chuckled as she lifted her hand and gently wiped off the lipstick off his lip with her thumb.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 10:46:16 am by Tess tLhoell »
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2022, 04:59:03 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess joined in on Rayek thanking tr'Movel by nodded her head and giving him a soft smile. When they then stepped out to where the rest of the s'Movel family was waiting, Tess gave them a wider smile. "He is still very exhausted and tired, but he is awake. I'm sure you can go in and say hello to him, but maybe not too long as he needs some more rest."

She then left with Rayek, walking down the corridor at his side. Hearing him say he had thought about other ways to reach the lost memories Tess looked to him, curious what he might suggest. "Hypnotism? I know what it is but I have never practiced it myself or having it practiced on me." She bit her lip for a moment as she pondered the possibilities. "I'm doubtful we will find someone on this ship who knows how to do that. But perhaps there is a holodeck program for that?"

They rounded the corner as they walked towards the nearest turbolift. "Do you think Lared will be suitable for such a procedure?" She wondered if his wary and alert mindset would allow him to relax enough to let himself in for it.

"Oh, by the way. How did the talk with Ben go?" she asked almost cautiously. It was only then that she seemed to look at her husband properly and she noticed a smudge of lipstick on his lips. Her face broke out into a fit of giggles and she tugged gently at Rayek’s arm to stop him. "Did you run around like that the whole time?", she chuckled as she lifted her hand and gently wiped off the lipstick off his lip with her thumb.

Phara nodded at Tess' gentle reminder.   "We will keep it brief and only one child at a time."  she answered then cast a shushing glance to Jinsux, who hearing that pouted and complained that Cimee would use up all of Father's awake time 'cause she talked far too much'.   

Rayek chuckled in amusement, having heard his own brother complain about Kemala in much the same manner.   

That such reminiscent thoughts brought a smile rather than a frown of sadness, was completely new.  Knowing his brother Telmuk was alive and living on Tryka IV, made all the difference.  This knowledge still was a bit overwhelming for Rayek.  It was just one more reason why Rayek needed to have the wormhole opened.   He wanted what Tess had managed - to reconnect with distant family.  How Rayek was going to accomplish this since he was considered a traitor was still unknown, but it was a goal strive for.

Meanwhile, Karinne stared hard at Rayek as he grinned.  It was clear that she held him responsible for her son's condition, and for once Rayek agreed with her.  He let his smile drop and decided to wait for Tess out in the hall.

Once out in the hallway, Rayek was disappointed to learn that Tess didn't have experience with hypnotism.  Tess was correct to say that it was unlikely they would find any among the crew with such knowledge and experience; and now that she mentioned susceptibility, he too thought that Lared's mental-will might be to strong for hypnotism.  "All we can do is try; I'll stop by later tonight and ask to see if he would consider that as an alternative."  For now, he would leave the man spend time with his family. 

Tess' cautious question about Benjin, was answered with a slight weary sigh before he spoke.  "I am hopeful that the talk has resolved the issue."

Because they were out in the corridor, Rayek didn't feel it appropriate to do into detail as to what was spoken in private or the reprimand earned.  He was about to suggest they take the conversation back to her ready room, when she laughed suddenly and pulled him to a stop.  Rayek looked to her in confusion as she remarked vaguely on his appearance before wiping something from his lip with his thumb.   

Curious, Rayek grasped her wrist lightly and looked at her thumb pad.  There he saw the smudge of lipstick.  Recollection of Lared and Benjin both staring at him - or rather his lip  - now made sense.  Oops.

The smudge had no doubt hinted to both about a breach of professional etiquette during shift hours - which was ultimately accurate.  Rayek would just have to live with the knowledge that he did receive special treatment by the Captain at certain times.  Rayek however, unlike Benjin, was completely fine with that.  Let the crew talk and gossip; Tess' kisses were certainly worth it.

He wiped at his lips with the back of his hand, glancing to be sure Tess had removed the smudge fully, before remarking. "We'll need to be more cautious to remove evidence of our activities next time."

That he preferred to hide the evidence rather than avoid the behavior spoke volumes about his mindset on the topic.

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2022, 03:46:49 am »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Corridor]

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
Once out in the hallway, Rayek was disappointed to learn that Tess didn't have experience with hypnotism.  Tess was correct to say that it was unlikely they would find any among the crew with such knowledge and experience; and now that she mentioned susceptibility, he too thought that Lared's mental-will might be to strong for hypnotism.  "All we can do is try; I'll stop by later tonight and ask to see if he would consider that as an alternative."  For now, he would leave the man spend time with his family. 

Tess' cautious question about Benjin, was answered with a slight weary sigh before he spoke.  "I am hopeful that the talk has resolved the issue."

Because they were out in the corridor, Rayek didn't feel it appropriate to do into detail as to what was spoken in private or the reprimand earned.  He was about to suggest they take the conversation back to her ready room, when she laughed suddenly and pulled him to a stop.  Rayek looked to her in confusion as she remarked vaguely on his appearance before wiping something from his lip with his thumb.   

Curious, Rayek grasped her wrist lightly and looked at her thumb pad.  There he saw the smudge of lipstick.  Recollection of Lared and Benjin both staring at him - or rather his lip  - now made sense.  Oops.

The smudge had no doubt hinted to both about a breach of professional etiquette during shift hours - which was ultimately accurate.  Rayek would just have to live with the knowledge that he did receive special treatment by the Captain at certain times.  Rayek however, unlike Benjin, was completely fine with that.  Let the crew talk and gossip; Tess' kisses were certainly worth it.

He wiped at his lips with the back of his hand, glancing to be sure Tess had removed the smudge fully, before remarking. "We'll need to be more cautious to remove evidence of our activities next time."

That he preferred to hide the evidence rather than avoid the behavior spoke volumes about his mindset on the topic.

Tess nodded in agreement with him that all they could do was try. "Thank you", she said when he announced that he would check on that with Lared later. It might take longer but if it was more acceptable to the Romulan, Tess would definitely give it a try.

Rayek's weary sigh had Tess look to the side at him. While Rayek said that he hoped the issue was resolved now, his sigh indicated that it had not been easy getting there. Before she could ask further questions, she spotted the lipstick on Rayek's lip and removed it. She was still grinning from her chuckles when Rayek grasped her wrist lightly to have a look at what was on the the pad of her thumb. His remark after he had wiped the back of his hand over his mouth made her chuckle once more. "I agree. Maybe I'll need to find a lipstick that won't smugde." She winked at him with a grin. Technically she could opt for not wearing any lipstick at all, but she liked to wear some.

[Deck 4 - Bridge]

It was a short ride up to the bridge and once they stepped on it, status reports waited for them from the orders Rayek had given before.

"As yet no response to our broadcasting the astrocetus' song, sirs."

"Nothing on the long range sensors so far", called the officer from the science station who substituted Ensign Mitumba while he was working with Ensign tr'Hava on reconfiguring them to better find astrocetus life signs.

Tess diverted her path and turned to walk over to the Romulan cadet. Lowering her voice she spoke quietly to her. "Your father is awake and your family is down in the sickbay to see him. You may call in for a replacement and take a break to do the same if you wish."

Tordel looked up at her, gratefulness written all over her face. "Thank you, Captain", she whispered. Tess smiled at her and gave her arm a gentle squeeze before she turned away and nodded to Rayek as she was heading to her ready room.

NPC Ensign Lared tr'Movel + Cemee t'Movel (13 years old)

When the door to the ICU room opened Lared forced his heavy lids open to see who it was. Seeing his wife and his youngest daughter made is heart flutter with happiness. "E'lev", he said weakly but unmistakably smiling. "Cemee." The girl made a beeline for him and hugged her father in his lying position as well as he could. "I missed you so much, eneh!", she exclaimed.

Lared gently cradled the back of her head. "I have missed you, too, arham caevra." (*my heart) He looked up to his wife. "I am grateful the Elements allowed me to see you again", he said hoarsely.

"Can you come home with us now?", the girl asked hopefully.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:25:53 pm by Tess tLhoell »
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2022, 01:08:23 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess nodded in agreement with him that all they could do was try. "Thank you", she said when he announced that he would check on that with Lared later. It might take longer but if it was more acceptable to the Romulan, Tess would definitely give it a try.

Rayek's weary sigh had Tess look to the side at him. While Rayek said that he hoped the issue was resolved now, his sigh indicated that it had not been easy getting there. Before she could ask further questions, she spotted the lipstick on Rayek's lip and removed it. She was still grinning from her chuckles when Rayek grasped her wrist lightly to have a look at what was on the the pad of her thumb. His remark after he had wiped the back of his hand over his mouth made her chuckle once more. "I agree. Maybe I'll need to find a lipstick that won't smudge." She winked at him with a grin. Technically she could opt for not wearing any lipstick at all, but she liked to wear some.

Her words of agreement, had him chuckling as well.  He was glad that her solution wasn't to just stay professional while on duty.  Where was the thrill in that?

"A wise suggestion." he remarked back as she mentioned needing a lipstick that wouldn't smudge.  He would look into that - it would make a nice surprise gift for her. 

Then to show that he was undaunted by having been caught once, Rayek made a point of glancing down the hallway checking that it was clear before leaning down to kiss her once more. He lingered over the kiss, but remained alert for the sound of footsteps in the hall.

Afterwards, he pointedly wiped at his lip and then tested his removal by lifting Tess' hand, which he still held light at the wrist, and kissed her palm.   When he looked down at the palm it held no trace of lipstick.  His gaze then rose to her blue eyes and the urge to kiss her more return.  With a slight sigh he released her wrist and took a step back.

"We should get back to the bridge... before I get too amorous and detour you to our quarters."

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[Deck 4 - Bridge]

It was a short ride up to the bridge and once they stepped on it, status reports waited for them from the orders Rayek had given before.

"As yet no response to our broadcasting the astrocetus' song, sirs."

"Nothing on the long range sensors so far", called the officer from the science station who substituted Ensign Mitumba while he was working with Ensign tr'Hava on reconfiguring them to better find astrocetus life signs.

Tess diverted her path and turned to walk over to the Romulan cadet. Lowering her voice she spoke quietly to her. "Your father is awake and your family is down in the sickbay to see him. You may call in for a replacement and take a break to do the same if you wish."

Tordel looked up at her, gratefulness written all over her face. "Thank you, Captain", she whispered. Tess smiled at her and gave her arm a gentle squeeze before she turned away and nodded to Rayek as she was heading to her ready room.

[USS Amalthea - Deck 4 - Bridge]
Rayek acknowledged the update from Tordel, and then looked and nodded at the report from Operations. 

"Thank you both. Good work.  There may be nothing to report now, but this is our best chance, so we'll keep at it."  Rayek was getting better at giving praise for the little things.  It was something he'd noted Jada had done quite often with her strike team and he was trying to emulate it.

As he did his usual pace around the bridge, he checked over the shoulders of those working at the stations like Helm and Security that hadn't had anything specific to report - just to familiarize himself with the ships current status.  This habit of his, had a one point made the bridge crew quite nervous - but he noticed at this point, most were completely relaxed with his routine.

During his circuit, Rayek noted that Tess moved to speak quietly to Tordel.  Likely to inform her of her father's consciousness.  When they finished speaking, instead of resuming her seat, Tess looked to him and nodded indicating her Ready Room.  Recognizing the gesture, Rayek moved to follow the Captain towards the Ready room.  Along the way, he overheard Tordel call for replacement at Ops.  He was glad Tess had given the cadet this opportunity.

[Ready Room]

Rayek trailed Tess a few feet behind and positioned himself standing in front of her desk waiting for the invitation to sit or for an explanation as to why she needed to talk to him again so soon.   He suspected she wanted further details regarding Benjin.  But he could be mistaken. 

"You wished to speak to me further, Captain? About Benjin I am guessing... Are you certain you need to know?" he asked.   

By Tess wanting specifics, she was in a way treating her brother differently.  Usually disciplinary matters were dealt with by the Department Head, and then reported to Rayek at end of day -  and only reported to her the following morning.  That she might want an immediate report was a bit out of the ordinary... but then so was the fact that she'd had Rayek deal with it personally.

NPC Phara t'Movel

When the door to the ICU room opened Lared forced his heavy lids open to see who it was. Seeing his wife and his youngest daughter made is heart flutter with happiness. "E'lev", he said weakly but unmistakably smiling. "Cemee." The girl made a beeline for him and hugged her father in his lying position as well as he could. "I missed you so much, eneh!", she exclaimed.

Lared gently cradled the back of her head. "I have missed you, too, arham caevra." (*my heart) He looked up to his wife. "I am grateful the Elements allowed me to see you again", he said hoarsely.

"Can you come home with us now?", the girl asked hopefully.

Phara knew that their time permitted in the Sickbay ward was going to be brief, and since she'd already spent time with her husband earlier alone, she let their daughter go first to greet her father.  It moved Phara to see them together, his hand cradling her head, as she hugged his prone form.

His words thanking the Elements sounded hoarse from emotion but Phara was quick to find a way for him to save face in front of his daughter. 

"Your throat is still dry I see." she commented and moved to the table beside to pour him a water while Cemee asked a very painful question of her father. 

But it was Phara who answered as she offered her husband a sip from the glass of water. "Not just yet, sweetie.  Soon though.  Your father has just woken up and the doctor will want to keep him at least over night for observation."

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2022, 02:56:12 pm »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Her words of agreement, had him chuckling as well.  He was glad that her solution wasn't to just stay professional while on duty.  Where was the thrill in that?

"A wise suggestion." he remarked back as she mentioned needing a lipstick that wouldn't smudge.  He would look into that - it would make a nice surprise gift for her. 

Then to show that he was undaunted by having been caught once, Rayek made a point of glancing down the hallway checking that it was clear before leaning down to kiss her once more. He lingered over the kiss, but remained alert for the sound of footsteps in the hall.

Afterwards, he pointedly wiped at his lip and then tested his removal by lifting Tess' hand, which he still held light at the wrist, and kissed her palm.   When he looked down at the palm it held no trace of lipstick.  His gaze then rose to her blue eyes and the urge to kiss her more return.  With a slight sigh he released her wrist and took a step back.

"We should get back to the bridge... before I get too amorous and detour you to our quarters."

Tess could already tell what he was up to when he took a step closer to her and glanced up and down the hallway. She couldn't help but grin and then she felt his lips on hers. Closing her eyes to enjoy the moment she leaned into him a little more as they lingered over the kiss.

Seeing him then wiping at his lip afterwards made Tess laugh. Unexpectedly, he lifted her palm to his lips to kiss it. The sensation made her stomach tingle positively and grew more intense when their eyes met. There seemed to be a split second in which both their thoughts seemed to go into the same direction, but luckily Rayek broke it by releasing her wrist and taking a step back.

"Yes, we better", Tess mumbled her agreement, but the smile lingered on her face.

[USS Amalthea - Deck 4 - Ready Room]

[USS Amalthea - Deck 4 - Bridge]
Rayek acknowledged the update from Tordel, and then looked and nodded at the report from Operations. 

"Thank you both. Good work.  There may be nothing to report now, but this is our best chance, so we'll keep at it."  Rayek was getting better at giving praise for the little things.  It was something he'd noted Jada had done quite often with her strike team and he was trying to emulate it.

As he did his usual pace around the bridge, he checked over the shoulders of those working at the stations like Helm and Security that hadn't had anything specific to report - just to familiarize himself with the ships current status.  This habit of his, had a one point made the bridge crew quite nervous - but he noticed at this point, most were completely relaxed with his routine.

During his circuit, Rayek noted that Tess moved to speak quietly to Tordel.  Likely to inform her of her father's consciousness.  When they finished speaking, instead of resuming her seat, Tess looked to him and nodded indicating her Ready Room.  Recognizing the gesture, Rayek moved to follow the Captain towards the Ready room.  Along the way, he overheard Tordel call for replacement at Ops.  He was glad Tess had given the cadet this opportunity.

[Ready Room]

Rayek trailed Tess a few feet behind and positioned himself standing in front of her desk waiting for the invitation to sit or for an explanation as to why she needed to talk to him again so soon.   He suspected she wanted further details regarding Benjin.  But he could be mistaken. 

"You wished to speak to me further, Captain? About Benjin I am guessing... Are you certain you need to know?" he asked.   

By Tess wanting specifics, she was in a way treating her brother differently.  Usually disciplinary matters were dealt with by the Department Head, and then reported to Rayek at end of day -  and only reported to her the following morning.  That she might want an immediate report was a bit out of the ordinary... but then so was the fact that she'd had Rayek deal with it personally.

Tess had not taken a seat behind her desk, but had leaned against the edge of it, half standing, half sitting on it as she looked at Rayek. He had resumed his professional demeanour again and which prompted Tess to do the same - though it could waver again from one moment to the other when they were alone.

"Yes, Commander. To all of it." She stated it matter-of-factly. She knew she was breaching protocol with it, but really what harm was done? She'd rather do that than having to wonder about it the whole day and night.

NPC Phara t'Movel

Phara knew that their time permitted in the Sickbay ward was going to be brief, and since she'd already spent time with her husband earlier alone, she let their daughter go first to greet her father.  It moved Phara to see them together, his hand cradling her head, as she hugged his prone form.

His words thanking the Elements sounded hoarse from emotion but Phara was quick to find a way for him to save face in front of his daughter. 

"Your throat is still dry I see." she commented and moved to the table beside to pour him a water while Cemee asked a very painful question of her father. 

But it was Phara who answered as she offered her husband a sip from the glass of water. "Not just yet, sweetie.  Soon though.  Your father has just woken up and the doctor will want to keep him at least over night for observation."

He gratefully lifted his head to take a sip from the drink his wife offered him. This felt way more comfortable than having the Captain helping him to drink. He muttered a thank you to her when he had enough and listened as Phara answered their daughter.

"I will be home before you know it", he said quietly. "I need you to behave yourself extra well for so long and help your mother. Will you do that?"

Cemee nodded. "I will, father."

Lared smiled and gently pulled her in to give her a fatherly kiss. As much as he wanted to do nothing but enjoy the time with his wife and daughter, the urgent request of the Captain and Commander weighed on his mind. But now was not the time to discuss this. He had asked for respite. Surely they would give him enough time for it.

He looked to Phara. "Did the two of you come alone?", he asked, hoping that wasn't the case.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:03:31 pm by Tess tLhoell »
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2022, 11:15:23 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Tess had not taken a seat behind her desk, but had leaned against the edge of it, half standing, half sitting on it as she looked at Rayek. He had resumed his professional demeanor again and which prompted Tess to do the same - though it could waver again from one moment to the other when they were alone.

"Yes, Commander. To all of it." She stated it matter-of-factly. She knew she was breaching protocol with it, but really what harm was done? She'd rather do that than having to wonder about it the whole day and night.

Rayek nodded and regarded the Captain professionally as he began his report. 

"The cadet arrived on time for the meeting and I attempted to set a relaxed mood to encourage open discussion since I felt there might be a internal reason behind his poor behavior.  I offered him the choice of how the discussion would proceed -superior to junior, or more casual...as brothers.  This offer, however, backfired as Cadet Moreno apparently was already quite upset about the perceived favoritism he has been receiving in regards to his repetitive tardiness." Rayek explained.   

The First Officer frowned slightly recalling Benjin's outburst. For now he would not include that in his briefing. "I took the time to explain in detail how the perceived situation arose - basically a series of cultural misunderstandings and poor timing due to the shuttle incidents.  I emphasized to the cadet that it was not intended that he be given special dispensation - the opposite in fact since after reviewing his instructors assessment, I concur that he has a lot of potential.  I pointed out to him that now that the situation had risen in priority to my level that it was going to get dealt with how it should have been in the first place.  I chose to consider all ten instances as one behavior that needed reprimand but decided to go straight an actual punishment rather than just a verbal warning.  He did offer genuine apologies for his tardiness, and seemed contrite after I pointed out how after his department chief was injured that he should have made an effort to assist more.  He made no argument or complaint about the conditions of his punishment.  I have restricted him to quarters other than for work until he has completed 10 hours of manual labor as his extra duty.  Yet throughout he offered no explanation for his tardiness in the first place." Rayek summed up.   He paused at this point to see if Tess had any questions.

NPC Phara t'Movel

He gratefully lifted his head to take a sip from the drink his wife offered him. This felt way more comfortable than having the Captain helping him to drink. He muttered a thank you to her when he had enough and listened as Phara answered their daughter.

"I will be home before you know it", he said quietly. "I need you to behave yourself extra well for so long and help your mother. Will you do that?"

Cemee nodded. "I will, father."

Lared smiled and gently pulled her in to give her a fatherly kiss. As much as he wanted to do nothing but enjoy the time with his wife and daughter, the urgent request of the Captain and Commander weighed on his mind. But now was not the time to discuss this. He had asked for respite. Surely they would give him enough time for it.

He looked to Phara. "Did the two of you come alone?", he asked, hoping that wasn't the case.

Phara, standing at her husband's bedside, smiled at their daughter as Cemee answered appropriately.  Not that Cemee ever did anything that could be considered misbehaving.  She was a very well mannered child.  All their children were as a matter of fact.  In that, she and Lared were quite fortunate.

She watched with a tender smile as Lared placed a kiss to Cemee's forehead in a very fatherly expression of love.  His query about the other was answered firstly with a shake of her head.  "No, not alone.  But we were advised to limit the number of visitors at one time and to keep our visit brief." Phara explained to her husband.   

She then looked to her daughter. "So Cemee, was there anything specific you wanted to tell your father before we leave and allow your brother some time with your father?" she prompted the young girl.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:38:22 pm by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2022, 02:46:59 pm »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess sat there unmoving as she listened attentively to Rayek. It was a lot of information but in the end Tess looked at him in stunned confusion. "So ... his acting up and being tardy was just because... he wanted to be punished?" Tess didn't know if she should think that was good or bad. She sighed as she eventually got to her feet and paced the room. "All of this headache for attention?" Tess didn't really understand where her brother's behaviour came from. Even if he felt like he was favorited, that was no reason to display such tardiness on purpose. She would never have acted that way.

She stopped pacing and sighed once more. "Well... now that his tardiness was officially noted I hope his need for attention is satisfied now." Especially at a time like this she would have counted on her brother to be more supportive and not behaving like a sulking child.

Lared nodded his head in understanding. He gave a weak smile to his wife before he then looked to his youngest daughter.

The girl seemed not needing to think for long. "I have finished our history book!" Lared was very interested in history and his daughter shared that interest with him. Sometime before his injury the two of them had started to create a digital history book with collected pictures and little fun notes that made it more interesting for the girl to memorize dates and facts.

That Cemee had auch endurance and interest that she finished it on her own made Lared proud. "I cannot wait to see it", he smiled.

Cemee looked to Phara. "Can I quickly go and fetch it to show eneh?"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:09:45 pm by Tess tLhoell »
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2022, 11:22:24 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess sat there unmoving as she listened attentively to Rayek. It was a lot of information but in the end Tess looked at him in stunned confusion. "So ... his acting up and being tardy was just because... he wanted to be punished?" Tess didn't know if she should think that was good or bad. She sighed as she eventually got to her feet and paced the room. "All of this headache for attention?" Tess didn't really understand where her brother's behaviour came from. Even if he felt like he was favorited, that was no reason to display such tardiness on purpose. She would never have acted that way.

She stopped pacing and sighed once more. "Well... now that his tardiness was officially noted I hope his need for attention is satisfied now." Especially at a time like this she would have counted on her brother to be more supportive and not behaving like a sulking child.

Rayek remained still, watching Tess pace.  It was amusing to see their actions reversed.  Usually it was he who paced.  When Tess stopped and remarked on her hope, Rayek looked doubtful.  "Yes.. in regards to his tardiness.. that may be.  But there is still a deeper more personal issue still eating away at him." Rayek pointed out

As this part of the conversation was more to Tess, rather than the Captain of the ship, Rayek stepped out from his attentive stance and moved to stand before his wife.  "He perceives himself as outside of the family.  An alien to his own native-born culture, with no ties or interest to draw him in.  He resents Rah'ul for his silence... and perhaps Tamon'ar as well for perhaps not keeping the family together when your father, Ishto, died."

The story of how Fabiano had come to adopt Benjin and Tess was one of the first that Rayek had learned from Tamon'ar in the days after the wedding.

"I've pointed out to him that he was the one to withdraw and that we are always here for him.  I've even suggested a family meal together - after his restriction is over.   Italian-themed so that he can show to his brothers the culture he grew up with."  Rayek informed with a slight smile.  "I'm cautiously optimistic that his could help - if he opens up to his brothers."

NPC Phara t'Movel

Lared nodded his head in understanding. He gave a weak smile to his wife before he then looked to his youngest daughter.

The girl seemed not needing to think for long. "I have finished our history book!" Lared was very interested in history and his daughter shared that interest with him. Sometime before his injury the two of them had started to create a digital history book with collected pictures and little fun notes that made it more interesting for the girl to memorize dates and facts.

That Cemee had such endurance and interest that she finished it on her own made Lared proud. "I cannot wait to see it", he smiled.

Cemee looked to Phara. "Can I quickly go and fetch it to show eneh?"

Phara smiled at her daughter's announcement.  This was news to her too as Phara had spent most of her waking hours since Lared's emergency surgery, waiting for her husband to wake from his coma.

However, at her daughter's question, again it was Phara that answered, shaking her head. "You can bring the book tomorrow when we visit again. Okay?" Your father needs his rest."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:23:57 pm by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2022, 10:04:07 am »
Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Rayek remained still, watching Tess pace.  It was amusing to see their actions reversed.  Usually it was he who paced.  When Tess stopped and remarked on her hope, Rayek looked doubtful.  "Yes.. in regards to his tardiness.. that may be.  But there is still a deeper more personal issue still eating away at him." Rayek pointed out

As this part of the conversation was more to Tess, rather than the Captain of the ship, Rayek stepped out from his attentive stance and moved to stand before his wife.  "He perceives himself as outside of the family.  An alien to his own native-born culture, with no ties or interest to draw him in.  He resents Rah'ul for his silence... and perhaps Tamon'ar as well for perhaps not keeping the family together when your father, Ishto, died."

The story of how Fabiano had come to adopt Benjin and Tess was one of the first that Rayek had learned from Tamon'ar in the days after the wedding.

Tess looked up at him when he made it a point to move to stand right in front of her. It caught her attention differently to what he would say now. Her eyes grew wide at the revelation, first in disbelief, then in consternation - about both that fact that Benjin seemed to feel that way and that she had not even noticed it.

A long moment passed before Tess finally found her tongue. "I ... I had no idea", she stuttered. "I mean, yes ... he never really showed much interest in Ba'ku culture, but since we were growing up on Earth, it wasn't that noticable to me, there were so many new things to learn and to discover."

"I didn't know any of this. But it does explain why he seemed to avoid all of us lately." She bit her lip with her eyebrows furrowed with concern. "That papa is so severely injured probably didn't help much, either."

"We've always been so close, he was my best friend growing. I feel bad that I didn't notice how he felt." Tess was genuinely upset with herself about it. "There was just so much going on ever since Fvienn was born ... that I failed to take care of my own family."

"I've pointed out to him that he was the one to withdraw and that we are always here for him.  I've even suggested a family meal together - after his restriction is over.   Italian-themed so that he can show to his brothers the culture he grew up with."  Rayek informed with a slight smile.  "I'm cautiously optimistic that his could help - if he opens up to his brothers."

Tess looked to him slightly hopeful. "So, he agreed to it?" She sighed. "I hope it will work. I would hate to see him deteriorating more because of such personal issues. Issues that shouldn't be there." She smiled a little sadly. "I guess family reunions aren't as easy as one might think."

NPC Phara t'Movel

Phara smiled at her daughter's announcement.  This was news to her too as Phara had spent most of her waking hours since Lared's emergency surgery, waiting for her husband to wake from his coma.

However, at her daughter's question, again it was Phara that answered, shaking her head. "You can bring the book tomorrow when we visit again. Okay?" Your father needs his rest."

Cemee nodded at her mother and then looked back to her father. "Get well, eneh." She hugged him once more and then stepped back to stand beside her mother.

Lared kissed the top of his daughters head and then looked at her and his wife. "It was good to see you", he said weakly. He felt tired but he wanted to see the rest of his family too.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2022, 04:27:23 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess looked up at him when he made it a point to move to stand right in front of her. It caught her attention differently to what he would say now. Her eyes grew wide at the revelation, first in disbelief, then in consternation - about both that fact that Benjin seemed to feel that way and that she had not even noticed it.

A long moment passed before Tess finally found her tongue. "I ... I had no idea", she stuttered. "I mean, yes ... he never really showed much interest in Ba'ku culture, but since we were growing up on Earth, it wasn't that noticeable to me, there were so many new things to learn and to discover."

"I didn't know any of this. But it does explain why he seemed to avoid all of us lately." She bit her lip with her eyebrows furrowed with concern. "That papa is so severely injured probably didn't help much, either."

"We've always been so close, he was my best friend growing. I feel bad that I didn't notice how he felt." Tess was genuinely upset with herself about it. "There was just so much going on ever since Fvienn was born ... that I failed to take care of my own family."

Tess looked to him slightly hopeful. "So, he agreed to it?" She sighed. "I hope it will work. I would hate to see him deteriorating more because of such personal issues. Issues that shouldn't be there." She smiled a little sadly. "I guess family reunions aren't as easy as one might think."

Rayek was attentive as Tess responded to his news regarding Benjin.  He watched her face and noted the concerned furrowing of her eyebrows.  It bothered him that she seemed to blame herself for not noticing Benjin's distance.

"As Captain, you rely on others to be your eyes and ears to the crew; and as a mother your focus is, of course, on your child first and foremost - no one can fault you for that." Rayek stated.  "But as your XO, it is my job to be your eyes and eyes, to ensure you have the information you need to make proper choices. I failed that.  I didn't interpret his initial tardiness when tr'Movel brought it up to me, as an issue. And as your husband, I also have a role in looking out for the rest of the family so you can not be over taxed in caring for our son.  I didn't see Benjin's opting out of family gatherings as the problem it was either.   I thought he was still connected socially to his peers - like he had been with the cadets on the holodeck.  But it seems my reprimand for that incident may have been what isolated Benjin.  I misjudged what the outcome would be of my removing him from that social group." 

Rayek readily claimed the responsibility for this situation, and he would work to rectifying it.  He hadn't gathered Tess' family to them for the wedding just to watch them slip away one by one.  There was nothing Rayek could do to improve Fabiano's medical condition, but the situation with Benjin was something he could help with.  Benjin needed to know that he was an important part of the family and that the Earth culture he grew up with as Fabiano's adoptive son was just as valid and important as the one he was born to but couldn't recall.

"He did agree to the dinner, and once he has completed his extra duty we can discuss with him the notion of him preparing the meal with us.  I figure we can let him decide the recipe and any appropriate activities that can be engaged in for the evening."

He paused a moment, regarding Tess.  "Do you think it would be appropriate to suggest Fabiano being present?"  It was troubling to realize for the usually well-informed Romulan, that he didn't know if Benjin was visiting with Tess' father regularly or not. 

Rayek himself, had at first, felt extremely uncomfortable in Fabiano's presence following the man's disability.  Romulan culture did not allow for those that could not serve the Empire or it's people to survive.   It was an archaic notion, created during a time when resources were limited.  Though it was difficult to see Tess struggle with the pain of dealing with her father's disability, he suspected her grief and pain would be worse if she didn't still have her father with her.   He assumed it was the same for Benjin.

NPC Jinsux tr'Movel (age 9) + Karinne t'Movel (age 99)

Cemee nodded at her mother and then looked back to her father. "Get well, eneh." She hugged him once more and then stepped back to stand beside her mother.

Lared kissed the top of his daughters head and then looked at her and his wife. "It was good to see you", he said weakly. He felt tired but he wanted to see the rest of his family too.

Phara leaned down and placed a kiss on the top of her husband's disheveled dark hair - then took a moment to smooth down his bowl-cut hairstyle.   When she was done she left with Cemee without a goodbye - knowing she would return to stay by his side after the children had left.

Jinsux, at seeing the door to the ward swish open, was up on his feet in an instant and tugged at his grandmother's hand to do the same.   Karinne's rise was much slower, almost stately in comparison.  Together, the young and old pair walked past Phara and Cemee, who were returning to the waiting room.  Jinsux urged his grandmother forward as they entered the room where his father lay on a biobed.  Unlike his sister, who had raced forward to greet her father, Jinsux knew he was expected to remain at his grandmother's side or he would be reprimanded by her.  But it was so difficult!  She moved so slow lately! 

When they finally arrived at his father's bedside, and while his grandmother sat herself in the adjacent chair, Jinsux took advantage of her distraction to hug his father tightly.  He'd missed his father a lot this past month - the worry of his never coming home had given Jinsux a stomach ache most nights.

Karinne, once settled in her seat and seeing Jinsux's display, frowned.  "Arrie ieiuqh l'ta'fvull'aelmnaejaerhoaommuy proper olhao, kuoku!" she wasped. (*translation - Show your father proper respect, child!)

At the sharp reprimand, Jinsux released his Dad and took a step back.  "Ie, daisemi'ueiik'h'unhr ri'nanov." (*translation - Yes, chief mother (grandmother)) he answered dutifully in Rihanha - something his grandmother insisted if it were just family present.  Jinsux kind of wished the Aunt Tess had stayed so he could have just spoken Standard.  It was so much easier to pronounce and remember.   

Jinsux then bowed towards his father. "Yhhau l'ta'fvull'aelmnaejaerhoaommuy." (*translation - Hello, father)

She'd always been strict but this past month had been the worst! Mama had said it was because Gramma was worried sick about Papa, but Jinsux didn't see any sign of worry on the old woman's face.  It was as stern as ever.

Karinne fixed her gaze upon her youngest and only surviving son.  He looked weak and pale. 

"Hveolhaonn temaelhe kjumnaihsou lloann'mhrahel daisemi'maenek arifv vriafwen hiifve'afwe ikjrhes iudaiht uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n vriha vriha. Siaeqh hwiiy ssuy llaetus?" (*translation - I thought this Federation medicine was supposed to be superior.  Why are you still ailing?) she remarked pointedly to her son.

Then because if she didn't question him now the opportunity to do so would be lost when her daughter-in-law was present, Karinne tried to sate her need for information.

"I saw the Captain and the... First Officer leave."  It was annoying to have to refer to the traitor by either his name or rank, but that had been the Commander's one demand of her in exchange for allowing her to come aboard the Amalthea with her family.   It was extortion of a sort and not at all unexpected of the man.  In fact, Karinne, would have thought him stupid or up to something had he not made some demand.   

"He arrived in a rush yet left unpleased. Why?" she questioned