Author Topic: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?  (Read 7277 times)

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: S1M5 - O Other, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2021, 01:50:35 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 4 - Ready Room]

Tess nodded when Rayek mentioned Urulei's songs. "Let's do that." Her eyes were drawn to his hands as he snapped the Romulan treat in half. She actually had never had one, although she had heard Rayek mentioning it now and then.

Rayek then commented on her suggestion to ask ships they might encounter, and then it showed again why they made such a good team. Tess probably would have thought to offer something in exchange too late. And for Rayek, it was the first thing on his mind. "Good thought. Please prepare a good selection of things we could offer in exchange for information." While she said that, Rayek placed one half of the osol twist on her napkin in clear gesture. Tess chuckled. Muffins and Romulan treats for lunch. She was living a five-year-old's dream. "Thank you, ciccino." Curiously, she leaned forward and picked up the Romulan treat. It looked fruity, but she wasn't sure if that meant it tasted like it. She watched as Rayek bit into it and his face then turned into a grimace. She started to laugh. "What? Is it sour?" It looked like it, but if the happy expression on his face was any indication, it was a nice kind of sour. Casting a playful wary glance his way she lifted the treat up to her mouth and took a bite. It was tart, so much so that it was hard not to make a grimace. But that moment passed and then a pleasant sweetness replaced the edges of the tartness and gave it an overall very nice taste.

She looked to Rayek and commented before she even swallowed her first bite. "I like it."

Returning to the topic of their meeting, Rayek seemed to agree with her suggestion to re-configurate the long range sensors. Again, the way he said her rank made it sound more like an endearment and Tess had to admit to herself how much she liked to hear it. There was something to it. "That's what I want to hear, Commander", she grinned back.

They actually had gone through the talking points quicker than she had anticipated. She took a second bite of the osol twist and chewed it calmly. "I think that was it." She licked a few crumbs off her lip. "Is there anything you want to talk about?"

Tess' agreement with Rayek's suggestion to transmit Urulei's 'song' was noted and Rayek planned to see to that getting done just prior to his meeting with Benjin that afternoon.

Likewise his suggestion to have prepared items for exchange was approved by the Captain, and Tess put Rayek in charge of planning the selection of said items to be offered in exchange for information about the astrocetus.   Rayek would give it careful thought. 

Having shared his osol twist, and taken his first bite, Rayek was a mildly embarrassed by Tess' laughter.  Her question of if it was sour was answered with a nod, since his mouth was still puckered and his glands still salivating too much to speak properly.   He watched with smiling eyes as she cast him a wary glance before taking a bite of her own portion.  He was pleased to see her reaction in line with his own. 

Her declaration that she liked it, warmed his heart.  "I thought you might" he replied back after a moment having swallowed his first piece.

The talk once again returned to the task at hand of searching for the Urulei, and the re-calibrating the sensors to look for the Ooroyan species.  His manner of emphasizing her Captain's title as an endearment seemed to be welcomed, because she did the same to his rank.  Which he too enjoyed.  It made him wonder if she were to call him by 'Number One' like Solluk was penchant to do... but in that same endearment tone, whether he would be less adverse to being named a number? 

He'd spent nearly a year known only as a prisoner code while he was on the mining penal colony Faicol-lhui.  Rayek somehow doubted even Tess' warm and soothing voice could make him forget how de-individualizing being 'numbered' was in that place.

He was grateful Tess spoke then, asking if he had anything else to discuss - because it interrupted his unpleasant train of thoughts and memories.  Mentally reviewing all that they had discussed up until then and aligning it to what he still needed to inform her about, Rayek nodded.  "Actually yes, though perhaps it is more a personal discussion and less ship business.  I received yet another reminder from the Ambassador's aid, tr'Hei.   I've been preoccupied with the shuttle investigation and still haven't met with Ambassador and his aide to have our 'informal talk' to see how well I am 'adjusting to life' amid the Federation."  Rayek didn't bother keeping the sarcasm from his tone.   

"I feel the only way I might be inclined to do this, is if you were to insist and if you were by my side during the interrogation... I mean 'informal talk'."  He smirked at his 'slip' and wondered what Tess would say.   
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2021, 11:27:28 am »

As Tess took another bite of the osol twist - this time it was still very tart but she now was more prepared for it - she observed Rayek, who seemed to be lost in his thoughts for a moment. Tess was clueless what occupied his mind at the moment. That moment passed though when she asked if there was anything else they needed to discuss.

The sarcasm and the 'accidental' slip of his words made Tess smile a little wryly. She knew where he was coming from and where this mindset came from. She surely couldn't blame him. Although she had to take a different opinion on this. Putting the half-eaten treat down, Tess wiped her hand at the napkin as she pondered how to answer him. Eventually she sought his eyes.

"I understand you", she began. "I know what your reservations are. I won't push to persuade you to participate in this talk. If my presence makes it easier for you, then I will be there." She smiled mildly at him. "I believe this is important in regards to the diplomatic relations. I view this as the Romulan Government making an effort. And I wouldn't want to discourage it." She lifted her hand. "I know, you think there are ulterior motives. But as long as we have no proof of that, I would like to shed a good light on these talks. The crew looks up to you, especially you as a Romulan in this case. They will watch what you do. I would prefer to give a positive signal to everyone." Tess wasn't being reprimanding or lecturing. She spoke quietly with a good-hearted glint in her eyes, sharing her opinion with him and still leaving it open for him to decide for himself.
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 01:55:23 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

As Tess took another bite of the osol twist - this time it was still very tart but she now was more prepared for it - she observed Rayek, who seemed to be lost in his thoughts for a moment. Tess was clueless what occupied his mind at the moment. That moment passed though when she asked if there was anything else they needed to discuss.

The sarcasm and the 'accidental' slip of his words made Tess smile a little wryly. She knew where he was coming from and where this mindset came from. She surely couldn't blame him. Although she had to take a different opinion on this. Putting the half-eaten treat down, Tess wiped her hand at the napkin as she pondered how to answer him. Eventually she sought his eyes.

"I understand you", she began. "I know what your reservations are. I won't push to persuade you to participate in this talk. If my presence makes it easier for you, then I will be there." She smiled mildly at him. "I believe this is important in regards to the diplomatic relations. I view this as the Romulan Government making an effort. And I wouldn't want to discourage it." She lifted her hand. "I know, you think there are ulterior motives. But as long as we have no proof of that, I would like to shed a good light on these talks. The crew looks up to you, especially you as a Romulan in this case. They will watch what you do. I would prefer to give a positive signal to everyone." Tess wasn't being reprimanding or lecturing. She spoke quietly with a good-hearted glint in her eyes, sharing her opinion with him and still leaving it open for him to decide for himself.

Rayek watched Tess' actions after he spoke noting the reminder.  She didn't answer immediately.  This was one of those moments she seemed to carefully consider her words.  When she did speak, she said many things.  She was understanding of his distrust, but she chose to believe this was a positive effort by the Romulan Government.  She would not make his attendance an order, but did prefer for him to be a good role model to the others.  Yet most important of all to Rayek was that she would be with him if that was what he needed - which he did.

Rayek nodded, understanding where she was coming from as well.  He took a long swallow of his chai tea emptying it, and realizied their meeting was fast coming to a close and that soon he'd need to begin to work on attending to things that they'd just discussed. 

"Thank you, e'lev.  With you there, I believe I can set aside my distrust long enough to answer a few of their questions.  I will contact tr'Hei and arrange a time that fits both our schedules." he stated as he set his drained teacup back to rest on the edge of her desk.   

"I believe that was the only thing I needed to discuss, other than to maybe ask if you had a specific preference on what you may want to have for dinner tonight or if the soup would be sufficient?  Perhaps if you like, I could make us a nice light tossed salad to go along with the soup your brothers made?" he suggested.  Rayek rather enjoyed preparing meals for his wife.

Then recognizing that he had a lot to do before his shift could be considered over, Rayek finished the last of his osol twist and gathered up his teacup - leaving Tess' since she wasn't quite done and he had no desire to rush her from her much needed afternoon break -  to walk over to the replicator and set the unit to recycle mode so that the teacup's materials could be broken down and used again for some other replicated item.

He returned then towards Tess' desk, though this time he dared to walk behind it to where she sat and leaned down to give her a lingering kiss.   His lips murmured against hers. "If I may be dismissed, my Captain, I have much to see to."
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 07:07:50 am »

Tess gave him an appreciative smile when he agreed to attend the meeting. "Thank you."

She took another sip of her tea while Rayek remarked, that this was all he wanted to talk about. She nodded at him and then was asked if she would like to have something else for dinner, beside the soup her brothers had made. At the suggestion of a tossed side salad Tess smiled. "That sounds amazing. Thank you, ciccino." She loved that Rayek enjoyed cooking for her and them cooking together whenever they got the time.

Taking another bite of the Romulan treat she watched as Rayek walked around the desk to stop right beside her. She turned with her chair to look up at him with a grin. At his murmured words, she chuckled into the kiss. She loved his playfulness. "You may be dismissed indeed, Commander", she mumbled with a smirk. "I'll try not to miss you too much", she said as her eyes followed him to the door.

NPC Cadet Benjin Moreno (Flight)
[USS Amalthea - Deck 5 - XO's office]

Benjin had inwardly rolled his eyes when he had gotten the notification for a scheduled meeting with Rayek. Well, maybe he should have known better than to be surprised. Surely, his interim superior had run directly to the XO to complain. Lared had been fairer in that regard.
Benjin frowned a little though when he noticed that his interim DH wasn't scheduled for the meeting - he was just put as CC to know about the meeting, but he would not be attending. He didn't know if he liked it better that way or if he would prefer to have someone else with him and not be alone with his brother in law.

No matter how it was, he was standing in front of Rayek's office now - again. It had only been a coupule of months since he had been in there because of the holodeck incident. Benjin didn't like thinking about it. With a sigh he lifted his hand and palmed the plate at the door frame and would step in as soon as he was called inside.
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2021, 04:37:50 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 4 - Bridge]

Tess gave him an appreciative smile when he agreed to attend the meeting. "Thank you."

She took another sip of her tea while Rayek remarked, that this was all he wanted to talk about. She nodded at him and then was asked if she would like to have something else for dinner, beside the soup her brothers had made. At the suggestion of a tossed side salad Tess smiled. "That sounds amazing. Thank you, ciccino." She loved that Rayek enjoyed cooking for her and them cooking together whenever they got the time.

Taking another bite of the Romulan treat she watched as Rayek walked around the desk to stop right beside her. She turned with her chair to look up at him with a grin. At his murmured words, she chuckled into the kiss. She loved his playfulness. "You may be dismissed indeed, Commander", she mumbled with a smirk. "I'll try not to miss you too much", she said as her eyes followed him to the door.

Leaving Tess when she was so receptive to his amorous attentions was always difficult, but Rayek knew he had much to do, and time was short.  Reluctantly he released Tess' lips from his kiss and stepped back.   He then gave her a half bow acknowledging her Captain's dismissal before he headed towards the door and out onto the Bridge, completely oblivious to the fact that he had a slight smudge of Tess' lipstick on his lips, hinting at their activities.

The first thing Rayek need to do was send off a message to Katra Station inquiring if the Ooroyan known as Urulei was in their vicinity.   The Romulan headed to his seat and opened an audio recording.   He briefly greeted Captain Solluk and Commander Saxon before promptly getting to the point of his call.  He passed on the late received information from the Atrosians regarding the folklore ability of the Finders (or one in particular - known as The Great Gate Keeper) to open the Gates of Hell which Tess and he suspected may be an old Atrosian name for the Bajoran wormhole.  Lore had it that it was through the Gates of Hell that the destruction of Atros would come, so ancient Atrosians began hunting the Ooroyan species and eventually enslaved them.

After sending off his message, since it would take 3 hours for it to be received and another 3 hours minimum before any response could potentially be heard, Rayek moved on to his next task.  He looked about the Bridge.   

"Ensign Mitumba, please open a channel to Engineering and get Ensign tr'Hava on the line." It was odd to call on the Science officer to open a channel but as every station had the capability, there was no reason it couldn't be done.  Once that was established Rayek addressed the pair.   

=/\= "Ensign tr'Hava, Ensign Mitumba...  I'm assigning you both to the task of reconfiguring the long-range sensors to better detect astocetus life signs.  This is a high priority.  Call in replacements to take over the rest of your shift with whatever else you are doing.  I'll want a detailed progress report of your work if this is not complete before end of day." =/\=  The implication being he wanted it done and finished before then.  =/\= "Get started" =/\=

That was two items off his 'To Do' list.  Rayek turned to address the eldest of the tr'Movel children.  "Cadet t'Movel.  Locate in the database the Ooroyan 'whale song' recording from a year and a half ago."  Rayek even gave the approximate stardate to aid in her locating the file.   "Once you have it, I want it to be transmitted out in a general spread as strongly as our comms are able to send out the song.  We are attempting to 'call' the Ooroyan, Urulei, to us using its own song.  Then while that is on loop, I want you to closely monitor all band widths for any reply.  Contact myself and Captain if that should happen.  You will inform the Ops personnel relieving you at the end of your shift to do the same.  This continues until we get a response.  Understood?"  Her nod was acknowledged.

Rayek glanced at the time.  He had a half hour before his meeting with Benjin and therefore time to contact the Ambassador's aide to book a time later that evening for his 'Interview'.   Rather than call and have his meeting with the Ambassador widely known by the Bridge crew, Rayek pulled out his PADD and messaged the Ambassadorial aid.  In his message Rayek, politely apologized for the delay in responding and inquired when would be a good time to meet for the Ambassador.  Rayek didn't bother to offer any excuse or justification for the delay because Rayek was still doing his best not to tell falsehoods and he knew truthfully the only reason this hadn't been done weeks ago was that he had been avoiding them - as they were representatives of the Romulan government - a government he had turned his back on.  Yes, true it wasn't the same one that had incarcerated him on a prison mine for failing a single mission.  Nor was it the same government that had planned to assassinate him 5 years earlier,.. but it was potentially the government that had given permission for an assassination attempt on his life but a month earlier... if what his friend Latihk had told him was correct.   

The quick response he received back stating that they would be very happy to meet with him this evening if that was convenient, hinted that this meeting was highly desirable by the Ambassador.   Rayek agreed to meet this evening and queried as to what time to meet.  Included in his missive was the statement that his wife, though not Romulan by birth, would be in attendance as well.   He stated this matter-of-factly, not as a request, because for Rayek it was a deal breaker.   

The reply back was notably slower this time but acknowledged Tess' presence would be welcome.  Rayek was then provided a time and directions to the Ambassador's 'meeting room' - obviously a standard response back to any confirmed Interview meeting and not any personal missive that he needed to reply to.  Rayek closed the text message function on his PADD.

With that done, Rayek sat back in his seat and rubbed at his temple.  He could feel a slight stress headache developing after just that brief interaction.  He had little hope of making it through the evening's meeting without being in need of some analgesic.  He made a note to take 'a Tylenol' later, prior to the meeting. 

Then with twenty minutes left until his scheduled meeting with Benjin, Rayek passed off the Bridge to one of the junior officers secure in the knowledge that if anything serious were to happen Tess was but a room away.   He then took the ramp down to the next level where his office was.   The next fifteen minutes were spent reviewing Benjin's official file  (and the many complaints that never made it into his official file).

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Benjin had inwardly rolled his eyes when he had gotten the notification for a scheduled meeting with Rayek. Well, maybe he should have known better than to be surprised. Surely, his interim superior had run directly to the XO to complain. Lared had been fairer in that regard.
Benjin frowned a little though when he noticed that his interim DH wasn't scheduled for the meeting - he was just put as CC to know about the meeting, but he would not be attending. He didn't know if he liked it better that way or if he would prefer to have someone else with him and not be alone with his brother-in-law.

No matter how it was, he was standing in front of Rayek's office now - again. It had only been a couple of months since he had been in there because of the holodeck incident. Benjin didn't like thinking about it. With a sigh he lifted his hand and palmed the plate at the door frame and would step in as soon as he was called inside.

Rayek considered a good sign that Benjin had arrived at his door on time.  Many of the complaints from Benjin's fellow crew was that he was rather consistently late.   Rayek wondered if his previous reprimand of Benjin, during the holodeck fiasco, was aiding in keeping the young officer from acting out with him now?

"Come in." Rayek called.  He was seated at his desk and looked up from Benjin's file as the young man entered.  Unknown to him, he still had that smear of lipstick faintly visible upon his lips.

"Thank you for arriving promptly, Cadet Moreno.  That informs me you are capable of it when it suits your needs."  Rayek's tone was wry - driving home his point with an arched eyebrow.  "Your ability to do so during your scheduled shifts however has been called into question by numerous fellow crewmen."

Rayek tapped the screen of his PADD - causing it light up.  "Ten lates. Several reports of poor attitude...  These reports read like a teenager's rebellious phase through high school" Rayek remarked, recalling the times when he'd dared do something similar.   

"The difference however is that you are a Starfleet cadet and this isn't highschool.  The work we do on this ship is not something to be taken lightly... and you know this more than most other cadets having been witness to a number of the threats we face... as such I'm reading these lates as a real plea for help not merely a child's rebellious phase.   So we're here now to discuss why this is going on.  We can either do this as superior to junior, or as brothers.   The choice is yours.  Please have a seat."   

Rayek motioned ambiguously towards the various seats he had available in his office.   There was a loveseat along the wall beside his replicator.   An uncomfortable looking metal chair placed across from his deck, as well as cushioned armchair placed to the side of his desk so that a person seated there could talk to Rayek without having to talk across a desk.

While Benjin made his choice of seat and manner of discussion, Rayek stood up and went to the replicator and ordered himself a Chai tea.   He looked over to where Benjin had chosen to sit.  "Would you care for a beverage?" he asked.   These choices were all social tools, designed to help put a person at ease - a trick which he'd learned from a dear doctor friend of his on the USS Challenger.

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 08:58:32 am »

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Rayek considered a good sign that Benjin had arrived at his door on time.  Many of the complaints from Benjin's fellow crew was that he was rather consistently late.   Rayek wondered if his previous reprimand of Benjin, during the holodeck fiasco, was aiding in keeping the young officer from acting out with him now?

"Come in." Rayek called.  He was seated at his desk and looked up from Benjin's file as the young man entered.  Unknown to him, he still had that smear of lipstick faintly visible upon his lips.

"Thank you for arriving promptly, Cadet Moreno.  That informs me you are capable of it when it suits your needs."  Rayek's tone was wry - driving home his point with an arched eyebrow.  "Your ability to do so during your scheduled shifts however has been called into question by numerous fellow crewmen."

Rayek tapped the screen of his PADD - causing it light up.  "Ten lates. Several reports of poor attitude...  These reports read like a teenager's rebellious phase through high school" Rayek remarked, recalling the times when he'd dared do something similar.   

"The difference however is that you are a Starfleet cadet and this isn't highschool.  The work we do on this ship is not something to be taken lightly... and you know this more than most other cadets having been witness to a number of the threats we face... as such I'm reading these lates as a real plea for help not merely a child's rebellious phase.   So we're here now to discuss why this is going on.  We can either do this as superior to junior, or as brothers.   The choice is yours.  Please have a seat."   

Rayek motioned ambiguously towards the various seats he had available in his office.   There was a loveseat along the wall beside his replicator.   An uncomfortable looking metal chair placed across from his deck, as well as cushioned armchair placed to the side of his desk so that a person seated there could talk to Rayek without having to talk across a desk.

While Benjin made his choice of seat and manner of discussion, Rayek stood up and went to the replicator and ordered himself a Chai tea.   He looked over to where Benjin had chosen to sit.  "Would you care for a beverage?" he asked.   These choices were all social tools, designed to help put a person at ease - a trick which he'd learned from a dear doctor friend of his on the USS Challenger.

Benjin took a couple of steps into the office as he regarded Rayek sitting at his desk. While this was a serious matter, the young man frowned slightly when he noticed the smear of lipstick on Rayek's face. He put two and two together immediately. Urgh. What had they been doing?

Rayek's wry tone as he pointed out the poor work attitude he had demonstrated the past weeks made Benjin lower his gaze to the ground which outwardly might give the impression of reason and understanding; but inwardly he felt defiance.

His gaze remained low as Rayek went on to compare him to a rebellious highschool kid and then brought home the fact that he should know better than to take his duties lightly. Benjin didn't react to any of this. Only when Rayek then stated that they were here to discuss the reason for it either as superior and junior or as brothers did Benjin look up, just in time to see Rayek gesturing around and invite him to have a seat. The boy felt angry now at the clear evidence that he was in fact treated differently.

It wasn't the first time Benjin noted that Rayek had all sorts of different sitting options and he couldn't help but assume it was some weird psychological thing the Romulan liked to pull off. Benjin hated it.
Trying to think what would be the least expected choice for him, Benjin pointedly moved over to the uncomfortable metal chair in front of Rayek's desk and sat down. "No, thanks, Commander", he replied in response to the quiestion of if he wanted a beverage.

With this he thought he made his point clear. He thought.

Adding nothing further, he just sat in silence, waiting for Rayek to tell him what he wanted to know.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess had taken her time to finish the osol twist, the muffin and her ginger tea and was now feeling satisfied enough to make it through the rest of her shift until he would have dinner with Rayek.

When she returned to the bridge, Rayek was gone. The young Flight Lieutenant sat in the command chair. Upon seeing her, he stood up to vacate it for her immediately. "No new developments, sir", the young man reported and Tess nodded at him. "Thank you, Lieutenant."

She noticed that not the Caitian sat at the Science station but someone else. Rayek had mentioned that he planned on assigning him and tr'Hava to work on configurate the long rage sensors. They were probably down in Engineering or in one of the science labs.
Her gaze stopped at Tordel. "How are we doing with Urulei's song?", she asked friendly. Tess was amazed how well the Romulan young woman was holding up despite her father being more on the verge to death than life for so long now.

"I was able to find the data of it and have fed it into the communication's system to send it out on all known band withs, sir", Tordel reported readily. "For anyone out there hearing us we're an astrocetus for them now", the Romulan chuckled.

Tess did so as well, but was interrupted from a call.

=/\= "Sickbay to Captain t'Lhoell. Mr tr'Movel just woke up." =/\=

For a moment, Tordel's gaze and her own met for several seconds. "Carry on", Tess said softly, then touched the button to reply.  =/\= "I'm on my way." =/\= As she got up she nodded at the Flight officer. "Lieutenant." With that she left the bridge.

On her way down to sickbay, she sent a quick message to Rayek to keep him informed that Lared woke up and that she was on her way to the sickbay now. She send a text message because she knew he was in the meeting with Benjin at the moment.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 01:09:21 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Benjin took a couple of steps into the office as he regarded Rayek sitting at his desk. While this was a serious matter, the young man frowned slightly when he noticed the smear of lipstick on Rayek's face. He put two and two together immediately. Urgh. What had they been doing?

Rayek's wry tone as he pointed out the poor work attitude he had demonstrated the past weeks made Benjin lower his gaze to the ground which outwardly might give the impression of reason and understanding; but inwardly he felt defiance.

His gaze remained low as Rayek went on to compare him to a rebellious highschool kid and then brought home the fact that he should know better than to take his duties lightly. Benjin didn't react to any of this. Only when Rayek then stated that they were here to discuss the reason for it either as superior and junior or as brothers did Benjin look up, just in time to see Rayek gesturing around and invite him to have a seat. The boy felt angry now at the clear evidence that he was in fact treated differently.

It wasn't the first time Benjin noted that Rayek had all sorts of different sitting options and he couldn't help but assume it was some weird psychological thing the Romulan liked to pull off. Benjin hated it.
Trying to think what would be the least expected choice for him, Benjin pointedly moved over to the uncomfortable metal chair in front of Rayek's desk and sat down. "No, thanks, Commander", he replied in response to the quiestion of if he wanted a beverage.

With this he thought he made his point clear. He thought.

Adding nothing further, he just sat in silence, waiting for Rayek to tell him what he wanted to know.

Benjin's choice of seating was interesting and it spoke volumes to the Romulan.  That Benjin would choose to sit on the most uncomfortable chair suggested that Benjin was punishing himself, that he felt perhaps unworthy of anything more comfortable and perhaps was a hint to Rayek to keep the meeting brief.   Sadly, for his brother-in-law, Rayek had no intention of rushing through this. 

That Benjin stuck to the formality of ranks when he declined Rayek's offer, told the First Officer that Benjin was distancing himself.  Rayek let out a slight disappointed sigh.  He had thought they had moved past this awkwardness back when they had their talk on while on the Klingon officer exchange program.   He'd thought things had improved.  Benjin's attendance and work ethic on Katra had never been an issue so far as he knew.  Tess had certainly never indicated a problem with it.  So why now? 

Stepping away from the replicator with his tea, Rayek chose to take a seat on the loveseat rather than his desk. 

"Well Cadet? Your record previous to this assignment has been notably clear of any issues at all.  Now, however, it seems you can't be bothered to treat your work or fellow crewmates respectfully enough to arrive on time for your shift and with the proper attitude.  So what has changed for you?"

The answer was rather obvious to the Romulan.  Tess had been XO while Benjin was on Katra... and there had been no issues then.  The new variable was himself. 

]Captain Tess t'Lhoell

On her way down to sickbay, she sent a quick message to Rayek to keep him informed that Lared woke up and that she was on her way to the sickbay now. She send a text message because she knew he was in the meeting with Benjin at the moment.

From it's place on his desk, the XO's PADD vibrated with an incoming message.  Rayek glanced over towards PADD briefly, but for the moment the muted notification was of lesser importance.  Rayek glanced back towards Benjin and waited for his reply.

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2021, 03:48:16 pm »

It wasn't that Benjin had forgotten about their talk in the shuttle. The young Ba'ku had enjoyed it. Though the situation had changed. A lot.

For one Benjin was still slightly apprehensive regarding Rayek's Telepathy. Though it wasn't as bad as Rah'ul behaved, from what he had heard. He barely spoke to his older brothers at all
And second Rayek didn't realize what was going on and how he and Tess acted wrongly in this.

Benjin watched as Rayek chose to take a seat at the sofa near the replicator. At the question Benjin snorted to himself, shaking his head as he looked back down on the floor.

Everything.

Simply everything had changed. He chewed his lip as he thought, much like Tess would do when she was nervous. "I apologize for my negligences", he eventually spoke and lifted his gaze from the floor to meet Rayek's gaze.

"May I ask you a question, too?" His face petrified. "Do you offer all of your subordinates to have these talks either in a formal or informal setting?"
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2021, 01:58:06 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

It wasn't that Benjin had forgotten about their talk in the shuttle. The young Ba'ku had enjoyed it. Though the situation had changed. A lot.

For one Benjin was still slightly apprehensive regarding Rayek's Telepathy. Though it wasn't as bad as Rah'ul behaved, from what he had heard. He barely spoke to his older brothers at all
And second Rayek didn't realize what was going on and how he and Tess acted wrongly in this.

Benjin watched as Rayek chose to take a seat at the sofa near the replicator. At the question Benjin snorted to himself, shaking his head as he looked back down on the floor.

Everything.

Simply everything had changed. He chewed his lip as he thought, much like Tess would do when she was nervous. "I apologize for my negligences", he eventually spoke and lifted his gaze from the floor to meet Rayek's gaze.

"May I ask you a question, too?" His face petrified. "Do you offer all of your subordinates to have these talks either in a formal or informal setting?"

It troubled Rayek that Benjin kept averting his eyes, looking down.  While he recognized the human trait of avoidance,  for the Romulan is was very much a show of submission and Rayek didn't want Benjin to be submissive towards him.  Respectful - yes.   Submissive - not so much. 

One thing he did note that was actually amusing, was that Benjin had the same habit as his sister - both tended to gnaw on their lips when nervous or in deep thought.  Rayek waited patiently, sipping on his chai tea, for Benjin to answer his question. 

However when Benjin spoke, it was first to apologize - that was a good start.  If sincere - the averted eyes gave him some doubt about that.   

Then as if aware of Rayek's mental assessment, Benjin raised his gaze to meet with Rayek's and asked if he might ask a question of his own.   It was an odd request but Rayek nodded, even as Benjin face turned stony and distant before asking his question.

That Benjin felt the need to ask such a question, suggested to Rayek that there was the perception that Benjin was getting special treatment.  He wasn't necessarily wrong... but at the same time he was.

"All my subordinates?  No.   There are times and individuals with which I would not feel it appropriate to make such an offer.  But you are by far not the only one I have attempted to set at ease, by making myself more approachable.   However, if you prefer a more formal air, I can easily do so as it tends to be more in my nature, but I don't see how that would help the situation any." 

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2021, 05:47:21 am »

At the reply Benjin regarded Rayek slightly taken aback and insecure. He had not expected that kind of response. "It would help if you would treat all of us the same way!", the young man burst out, but made an effort to contain his frustration immediately afterwards.

His face turned into a frown as he doubted his brother-in-law's words. "So you tell me you treat some crew members like they were related to you and some not? Is that not favoritism?" There was a deep crease between his eyebrows as he looked at Rayek. His gaze kept flickering down to the smudge of lipstick on Rayek's lips.

Yeah, that only confirmed his point of view. Neither he nor his sister were able to separate work from family.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 8 - Sickbay]

When Tess reached the infirmary, Phara was with Lared as well as Roberto. Karinne was probably with the younger children, Cemee and Jinsux. The Romulan in the sickbed had his eyes closed, but his vital signs showed he was awake and no longer in a coma.

Roberto approached her as she entered the isolation room. "I gave him a mild analgesic. Other than the typical things that come with such a long coma, he seems to have taken it surprisingly well."

"Is he responsive?" asked Tess quietly as her gaze rested on Phara, who had barely left his side, as she had from the minute her husband had fallen ill.

"If you're asking because you want to question him about the explosion, I'd hold off on that for a little while. Until we're sure his condition is stable. How his memory is, however, we'll have to see."

Tess nodded. "I'll wait to question him until Rayek is available." At Roberto's answer, she almost thought she heard something like a suppressed groan.

"Sure." Their eyes met. "Will you stay here for now?"

She nodded. "Yes. I'll try to talk to him a little. No questioning. Just talking."

Roberto nodded. "Have you eaten? I can get you something", he offered.

"That's very kind, but I just had lunch. Thank you."

At that Roberto turned toward the door to leave.

Tess walked slowly toward Phara and put a hand on the shoulder of the woman who had become a friend to her and gave her a friendly smile.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2021, 03:38:57 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

At the reply Benjin regarded Rayek slightly taken aback and insecure. He had not expected that kind of response. "It would help if you would treat all of us the same way!", the young man burst out, but made an effort to contain his frustration immediately afterwards.

His face turned into a frown as he doubted his brother-in-law's words. "So you tell me you treat some crew members like they were related to you and some not? Is that not favoritism?" There was a deep crease between his eyebrows as he looked at Rayek. His gaze kept flickering down to the smudge of lipstick on Rayek's lips.

Yeah, that only confirmed his point of view. Neither he nor his sister were able to separate work from family.

Benjin's outburst caught Rayek by surprise and he tensed, his instincts spurring the Romulan to almost leap out of his seat before recognizing the lack of actual threat.  Rayek's frown matched Benjin's especially at the cadet's words criticizing his manner of dealing with the crew.  Rayek took a moment to consider his words and let the frown ease from his features - somewhat curious why Benjin's eyes seemed to focus on his lips rather than his whole face or eyes.

"I feel that's rather naive thinking.  Individuals do not react the same to the same stimulus.  Imagine me shouting out orders in Romulan to the crew without the use of a translator.  Only some of the crew would understand and be able to follow orders, right?   My treatment of the crew is the same, it is but one part of that translator.. I use various approaches when dealing with individuals to best to get across what I need from them."

Rayek settle back into the couch seat, releasing some more of his earlier tension.

"My goal as First Officer is not to treat each member of the crew exactly the same, but find a manner in which we all can work together cohesively, with respect and honesty.   That is not to say I have been at all successful in the past.  Far from it as a matter of fact, but it is what I strive for."   

Rayek sat back further onto the couch at this point. "How would you have preferred this meeting to have been addressed?  Should I have foregone any attempt to dig into its cause because you are the Captain's brother and merely issued out a reprimand?  Would that have rectified the problem you are having?" he asked, then sipped on his tea watching Benjin's reaction.

NPC Phara t'Movel and NPC Ensign Lared tr'Movel

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

When Tess reached the infirmary, Phara was with Lared as well as Roberto. Karinne was probably with the younger children, Cemee and Jinsux. The Romulan in the sickbed had his eyes closed, but his vital signs showed he was awake and no longer in a coma.

Roberto approached her as she entered the isolation room. "I gave him a mild analgesic. Other than the typical things that come with such a long coma, he seems to have taken it surprisingly well."

"Is he responsive?" asked Tess quietly as her gaze rested on Phara, who had barely left his side, as she had from the minute her husband had fallen ill.

"If you're asking because you want to question him about the explosion, I'd hold off on that for a little while. Until we're sure his condition is stable. How his memory is, however, we'll have to see."

Tess nodded. "I'll wait to question him until Rayek is available." At Roberto's answer, she almost thought she heard something like a suppressed groan.

"Sure." Their eyes met. "Will you stay here for now?"

She nodded. "Yes. I'll try to talk to him a little. No questioning. Just talking."

Roberto nodded. "Have you eaten? I can get you something", he offered.

"That's very kind, but I just had lunch. Thank you."

At that Roberto turned toward the door to leave.

Tess walked slowly toward Phara and put a hand on the shoulder of the woman who had become a friend to her and gave her a friendly smile.

At the touch, Phara looked up from the face of her sleeping husband.  That he was no longer in a coma but rather just resting now was such a blessing.   She offering a wavering smile towards Tess, the ship's Captain but more importantly to her, Phara's dear friend.   A tear that she'd been holding back, escaped and rolled it's way down alongside her nose.

She wiped at it with a free hand - her other was holding onto Lared's - while shaking her head in slight embarrassment.  "I don't know why I'm crying now.   This is a good sign, right?"

Lared's dark eyes opened at hearing his wife's voice and he turned his head slightly to look towards her first and then noted the Captain's presence behind Phara.   Raised in a society that put duty above family, Lared acknowledged Tess' presence first, though he gave his wife's hand a weak squeeze. "Captain." His voice was quite dry and quiet from disuse.  "I'm honored you would check on me personally."
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 03:45:17 pm by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2021, 09:32:08 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Benjin's outburst caught Rayek by surprise and he tensed, his instincts spurring the Romulan to almost leap out of his seat before recognizing the lack of actual threat.  Rayek's frown matched Benjin's especially at the cadet's words criticizing his manner of dealing with the crew.  Rayek took a moment to consider his words and let the frown ease from his features - somewhat curious why Benjin's eyes seemed to focus on his lips rather than his whole face or eyes.

"I feel that's rather naive thinking.  Individuals do not react the same to the same stimulus.  Imagine me shouting out orders in Romulan to the crew without the use of a translator.  Only some of the crew would understand and be able to follow orders, right?   My treatment of the crew is the same, it is but one part of that translator.. I use various approaches when dealing with individuals to best to get across what I need from them."

Rayek settle back into the couch seat, releasing some more of his earlier tension.

"My goal as First Officer is not to treat each member of the crew exactly the same, but find a manner in which we all can work together cohesively, with respect and honesty.   That is not to say I have been at all successful in the past.  Far from it as a matter of fact, but it is what I strive for."   

Rayek sat back further onto the couch at this point. "How would you have preferred this meeting to have been addressed?  Should I have foregone any attempt to dig into its cause because you are the Captain's brother and merely issued out a reprimand?  Would that have rectified the problem you are having?" he asked, then sipped on his tea watching Benjin's reaction.

Benjin's face turned into a scowl as Rayek spoke. The Romulan confused him. That he mentioned him being the Captain's brother in his question had him, in his point of view in that moment, suspecting Rayek did that on purpose to provoke a reaction.

"As far as I'm concerned any attempts have been foregone before now. I can't believe anyone but me would have gotten away with 10 lates. And I've been and will be hearing about it from everyone!" He was alomst wriggling about in his chair from the frustration he felt.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

At the touch, Phara looked up from the face of her sleeping husband.  That he was no longer in a coma but rather just resting now was such a blessing.   She offering a wavering smile towards Tess, the ship's Captain but more importantly to her, Phara's dear friend.   A tear that she'd been holding back, escaped and rolled it's way down alongside her nose.

She wiped at it with a free hand - her other was holding onto Lared's - while shaking her head in slight embarrassment.  "I don't know why I'm crying now.   This is a good sign, right?"

Lared's dark eyes opened at hearing his wife's voice and he turned his head slightly to look towards her first and then noted the Captain's presence behind Phara.   Raised in a society that put duty above family, Lared acknowledged Tess' presence first, though he gave his wife's hand a weak squeeze. "Captain." His voice was quite dry and quiet from disuse.  "I'm honored you would check on me personally."

Tess gave Phara's shoulder a gentle squeeze when she saw the woman crying. "It is a good sign", Tess reassured her. "It's the tension that eventually finds release."

Her gaze was drawn to Lared then when he turned his head and opened his eyes. "We all have been worried about you. You're an incredible fighter for your life. Everything is going to be okay, now." She offered a smile towards the Romulan and then turned to get a glass of water for him from the replicator. She handed it to Phara.

Tess realized that he didn't even know yet that Verlok had died in the attempt to save them. There were so many questions she wanted to ask. But realized that she should grant him some peaceful moments now the first time he's awake since his coma. She checked her PADD briefly, wondering if she had missed Rayek's reply - he always at least gave a brief acknowledging response to her messages. But no, not this time. He probably had his full attention on Benjin, if it was still going on. She had not expected for it to be this long.

Turning her attention back on Lared, Tess said, "How are you feeling at the moment? As you can imagine, Commander tr'Lhoell and I have some questions we want to ask you." She watched Lared's reaction when she mentioned the shuttle incident.
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2021, 11:03:45 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Benjin's face turned into a scowl as Rayek spoke. The Romulan confused him. That he mentioned him being the Captain's brother in his question had him, in his point of view in that moment, suspecting Rayek did that on purpose to provoke a reaction.

"As far as I'm concerned any attempts have been foregone before now. I can't believe anyone but me would have gotten away with 10 lates. And I've been and will be hearing about it from everyone!" He was almost wriggling about in his chair from the frustration he felt.

That Benjin would dare scowl to him, and complain that he hadn't been reprimanded prior to now was almost ludicrous to the Romulan.  His dark eyes narrowed a bit as he regarded his brother-in-law who with his words took advantage of the informal to criticize his treatment.  "I agree -  and perhaps if the ship wasn't crewed by fresh Academy graduates or if Romulan protocol and Starfleet were more inline then yes this wouldn't have happened." Rayek stated coolly.  His eyes continuing to stare at the jittery boy.

"Let me clarify something for you, Cadet." Rayek put emphasis on the rank.  "Ensign tr'Movel, like myself, served his military time amid the Romulan Star Navy where discipline was strict - far stricter than anything that Starfleet has.  Yet at the same time those in Command had far more leeway in how they run their ship.  It was normal for the Riov of a ship to favor certain individuals and those individuals would be almost untouchable except for by the Riov."  Rayek explained the difference between the two calmly, without showing a preference for one practice over the other. 

"Prior to the Amalthea responding to the distress call from the Karemman freighter over a month ago, tr'Movel approached me in regards to clarifying how he was expected to discipline you, the Captain's brother.  On a Romulan ship, without a direct order from the Riov that would be tantamount to asking to be demoted and likely punished yourself.  Now while this is not a Romulan ship, he was hesitant to take action without checking with me first, as her XO."

Rayek glanced away wondering now if it might have been best to have just dealt with it then himself, like he was doing now - after just the first couple lates.  Benjin would have been corrected and this perception of 'favoritism' would not be the problem it had developed into.  Rayek set his tea down on the side-table and regarded Benjin once more.

"I informed him that there was to be no exception to the rules and that I would support whatever reprimand he deemed you deserved.  I assumed afterwards that he had spoken to you immediately... but it seems that was not the case.  That day was the day your father was injured.  I'm guessing Lared chose to pick a less sensitive time to discuss your behavior with you. Shortly after that the shuttle blew and your Chief was put into a coma.   At that point you should have seen the gap in your department and stepped up to offer assistance.. picked up shifts and lent more of a hand."

"But you didn't.  Instead your attitude worsened and your tardiness increased.  But even then cadet, to be honest,.. your tardiness to sit your station wasn't a priority of mine.. I've had much more pressing things on my plate." Like recovery and investigating the explosion, a prime directive mission.. high priorities never ended.   "That the acting flight chief is inexperienced and has mistakenly taken Ensign tr'Movel's initial hesitation to mean that you were exempt from the rules, is unfortunate... but also ultimately inaccurate.  What was initially a couple of lates has now developed into a troubling pattern that no longer is the jurisdiction of your Department Head but now falls to me." Rayek summed up.

Rayek stood up and strode over to stand in front of Benjin with arms crossed, and a scowl now forming on his own face. "That you don't like the way that your reprimand has been mishandled and how you are now being picked on by your peers because of favoritism is rather laughable.  My orders are not intended to make your life easier, the opposite would be more true.  Not once have the Captain or I recommended you for something you didn't earn.  Likewise, I have never held back a reprimand.  Your holodeck incident should have made that clear.  You were not given special treatment then, other than I dealt with you in a manner in which I expected would prevent it from happening again."

"If anything, I would say, I expect more from you - not because you are her brother but because I've seen your Academy record and know what you are capable of.  I've worked alongside you and up until you set foot on Amalthea, you never needed a correction much less a reprimand. So what is the problem here?!" Rayek demanded to know. 

"Are you acting out because your sister and I are in Command?  Or because your father is paralyzed now?  Do you honestly think that your sabotaging your career is going to do anything to make either situation any better?" he bluntly asked.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Tess gave Phara's shoulder a gentle squeeze when she saw the woman crying. "It is a good sign", Tess reassured her. "It's the tension that eventually finds release."

Her gaze was drawn to Lared then when he turned his head and opened his eyes. "We all have been worried about you. You're an incredible fighter for your life. Everything is going to be okay, now." She offered a smile towards the Romulan and then turned to get a glass of water for him from the replicator. She handed it to Phara.

Tess realized that he didn't even know yet that Verlok had died in the attempt to save them. There were so many questions she wanted to ask. But realized that she should grant him some peaceful moments now the first time he's awake since his coma. She checked her PADD briefly, wondering if she had missed Rayek's reply - he always at least gave a brief acknowledging response to her messages. But no, not this time. He probably had his full attention on Benjin, if it was still going on. She had not expected for it to be this long.

Turning her attention back on Lared, Tess said, "How are you feeling at the moment? As you can imagine, Commander tr'Lhoell and I have some questions we want to ask you." She watched Lared's reaction when she mentioned the shuttle incident.

Phara watched her husband as he listened to the Captain offer supportive words, assuring him that 'all would be well'.   She was glad for such comments because to Phara, her husband looked so frail compared to a month ago.  That Tess, could assure them it would be okay gave her peace of mind.

The Romulan woman accepted the glass of water from Tess when handed it and moved closer to the bed to lift it up to her husband's lips.  He sipped on it slowly for a moment then turned his head away to indicate he'd had enough.  Phara set the glass of water on a rolling tray table and pushed the tray table to the side for later. 

Lared was slow getting his wits fully about him in regards to the explosion.  That the Captain wanted to talk immediately meant that his remembrance even after a month was still rather vital information. 

"I'm little scattered at the moment but I'll answer what I can." Lared stated. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 11:24:41 pm by Rayek tr’Lhoell »

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2021, 05:19:33 am »

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

That Benjin would dare scowl to him, and complain that he hadn't been reprimanded prior to now was almost ludicrous to the Romulan.  His dark eyes narrowed a bit as he regarded his brother-in-law who with his words took advantage of the informal to criticize his treatment.  "I agree -  and perhaps if the ship wasn't crewed by fresh Academy graduates or if Romulan protocol and Starfleet were more inline then yes this wouldn't have happened." Rayek stated coolly.  His eyes continuing to stare at the jittery boy.

"Let me clarify something for you, Cadet." Rayek put emphasis on the rank.  "Ensign tr'Movel, like myself, served his military time amid the Romulan Star Navy where discipline was strict - far stricter than anything that Starfleet has.  Yet at the same time those in Command had far more leeway in how they run their ship.  It was normal for the Riov of a ship to favor certain individuals and those individuals would be almost untouchable except for by the Riov."  Rayek explained the difference between the two calmly, without showing a preference for one practice over the other. 

"Prior to the Amalthea responding to the distress call from the Karemman freighter over a month ago, tr'Movel approached me in regards to clarifying how he was expected to discipline you, the Captain's brother.  On a Romulan ship, without a direct order from the Riov that would be tantamount to asking to be demoted and likely punished yourself.  Now while this is not a Romulan ship, he was hesitant to take action without checking with me first, as her XO."

Rayek glanced away wondering now if it might have been best to have just dealt with it then himself, like he was doing now - after just the first couple lates.  Benjin would have been corrected and this perception of 'favoritism' would not be the problem it had developed into.  Rayek set his tea down on the side-table and regarded Benjin once more.

"I informed him that there was to be no exception to the rules and that I would support whatever reprimand he deemed you deserved.  I assumed afterwards that he had spoken to you immediately... but it seems that was not the case.  That day was the day your father was injured.  I'm guessing Lared chose to pick a less sensitive time to discuss your behavior with you. Shortly after that the shuttle blew and your Chief was put into a coma.   At that point you should have seen the gap in your department and stepped up to offer assistance.. picked up shifts and lent more of a hand."

"But you didn't.  Instead your attitude worsened and your tardiness increased.  But even then cadet, to be honest,.. your tardiness to sit your station wasn't a priority of mine.. I've had much more pressing things on my plate." Like recovery and investigating the explosion, a prime directive mission.. high priorities never ended.   "That the acting flight chief is inexperienced and has mistakenly taken Ensign tr'Movel's initial hesitation to mean that you were exempt from the rules, is unfortunate... but also ultimately inaccurate.  What was initially a couple of lates has now developed into a troubling pattern that no longer is the jurisdiction of your Department Head but now falls to me." Rayek summed up.

Rayek stood up and strode over to stand in front of Benjin with arms crossed, and a scowl now forming on his own face. "That you don't like the way that your reprimand has been mishandled and how you are now being picked on by your peers because of favoritism is rather laughable.  My orders are not intended to make your life easier, the opposite would be more true.  Not once have the Captain or I recommended you for something you didn't earn.  Likewise, I have never held back a reprimand.  Your holodeck incident should have made that clear.  You were not given special treatment then, other than I dealt with you in a manner in which I expected would prevent it from happening again."

"If anything, I would say, I expect more from you - not because you are her brother but because I've seen your Academy record and know what you are capable of.  I've worked alongside you and up until you set foot on Amalthea, you never needed a correction much less a reprimand. So what is the problem here?!" Rayek demanded to know. 

"Are you acting out because your sister and I are in Command?  Or because your father is paralyzed now?  Do you honestly think that your sabotaging your career is going to do anything to make either situation any better?" he bluntly asked.

The whole time Rayek was explaining to him how the current situation had come about, Benjin was inwardly pouting. He did not feel understood. All he heard was that his problem was unimportant and his feelings were wrong. In his head the same argumentation was repeated over and over again 'But everyone else thinks I am favored! Everyone else thinks it and I get to feel it!'

Benjin was barely able to wait for Rayek to finish so he could tell him what he was missing. But then, as Rayek stood in front of him with his arms crossed, he said something that made Benjin's head jerk up and he stared at his brother-in-law in disbelief. They were aware that he was being ostracized and teased? And Rayek called it laughable?

A gut-wrenching feeling of disappointment and anger started to bubble up inside him that was very hard to control. When Rayek ended with a list of all the things that were so relevant to him and troubled him so much, Benjin exploded.

"It is NOT laughable!", he blurted out and pierced Rayek's eyes with an anger seldomly displayed by the young Ba'ku - if ever.

Although it had been Benjin who had demanded a professional atmosphere, it was he who now disregarded it.

"You want to know what my problem is? My problem is just EVERYONE here! I'm shunned, made fun of and ostracized because my sister is the captain, on top of that the XO is her husband. You have no idea what it's like to be constantly subjected to the taunts! I was disappointed that you guys don't even seem to realize that. But now I see that it is even much worse. You know about it and still you have done nothing about it, NOTHING!" Benjin snorted contemptuously. "Maybe I shouldn't be surprised about that, I'm even ostracized by my family," he added more quietly but no less bitterly as his gaze dripped from Rayek down to the ground, staring into space.

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

Phara watched her husband as he listened to the Captain offer supportive words, assuring him that 'all would be well'.   She was glad for such comments because to Phara, her husband looked so frail compared to a month ago.  That Tess, could assure them it would be okay gave her peace of mind.

The Romulan woman accepted the glass of water from Tess when handed it and moved closer to the bed to lift it up to her husband's lips.  He sipped on it slowly for a moment then turned his head away to indicate he'd had enough.  Phara set the glass of water on a rolling tray table and pushed the tray table to the side for later. 

Lared was slow getting his wits fully about him in regards to the explosion.  That the Captain wanted to talk immediately meant that his remembrance even after a month was still rather vital information. 

"I'm little scattered at the moment but I'll answer what I can." Lared stated.

It was in Lared's nature, from what she knew of him, that he offered his help immediately even if he didn't feel well at all. While the information was very important, Tess didn't want to push him. Especially since she wanted to give Rayek the opportunity to be here in person for the questioning. "I appreciate your willingness and cooperation", Tess acknowledged quitely. "Commander tr'Lhoell is in a meeting at the moment. I would like to give you the opportunity to gather yourself and your thoughts a little, as much is possible for you." She briefly glanced to Phara, knowing that she would take care of her husband during that time. "I just wanted to inform you that we will need to field questions from you about the explosion." She hoped that Lared could use that time to try and remember details they for certain would ask.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 05:28:38 am by Tess tLhoell »
Tess' biography

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2021, 05:08:09 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

The whole time Rayek was explaining to him how the current situation had come about, Benjin was inwardly pouting. He did not feel understood. All he heard was that his problem was unimportant and his feelings were wrong. In his head the same argumentation was repeated over and over again 'But everyone else thinks I am favored! Everyone else thinks it and I get to feel it!'

Benjin was barely able to wait for Rayek to finish so he could tell him what he was missing. But then, as Rayek stood in front of him with his arms crossed, he said something that made Benjin's head jerk up and he stared at his brother-in-law in disbelief. They were aware that he was being ostracized and teased? And Rayek called it laughable?

A gut-wrenching feeling of disappointment and anger started to bubble up inside him that was very hard to control. When Rayek ended with a list of all the things that were so relevant to him and troubled him so much, Benjin exploded.

"It is NOT laughable!", he blurted out and pierced Rayek's eyes with an anger seldomly displayed by the young Ba'ku - if ever.

Although it had been Benjin who had demanded a professional atmosphere, it was he who now disregarded it.

"You want to know what my problem is? My problem is just EVERYONE here! I'm shunned, made fun of and ostracized because my sister is the captain, on top of that the XO is her husband. You have no idea what it's like to be constantly subjected to the taunts! I was disappointed that you guys don't even seem to realize that. But now I see that it is even much worse. You know about it and still you have done nothing about it, NOTHING!" Benjin snorted contemptuously. "Maybe I shouldn't be surprised about that, I'm even ostracized by my family," he added more quietly but no less bitterly as his gaze dripped from Rayek down to the ground, staring into space.

While Rayek's words had been intended to prompt a response, Benjin's outburst once again surprised the Romulan with its vehemence (not that the glare from the cadet was worrisome in its threat).  Perhaps Rayek had been a bit too harsh?   Rayek's personal goal was to build a good relationship with his wife's family.  Insulting her younger brother's feelings by calling them laughable was obviously not the best way to accomplish that; but then it had its desired effect - Benjin was talking honestly now. 

But so much of Benjin's outburst was contradictory to the truth.

"What would you have had us do to prevent such accusations and taunts? Order them to stop?" Rayek questioned pointedly.

"By getting involved in the squabbles of the junior ranks, Tess or I would be doing exactly as your accusers think - treat you differently." he stated with reasoned calmness, as he unfolded his arms and leaned his backside against the desk behind him, while regarding Benjin seated in front of him.

"I have already explained the mishandling of your reprimand - something that will not happen again now that I am out of Sickbay once more - and have already pointed out that these one on one talks happen to any of the crew as needed.  Tess and I agreed when we first were selecting who from Katra would fill the Amalthea's roster, that you and your father both - as family, were not to receive special treatment on the job.  And we've kept to that.  That others make assumption of favoritism is not something we can control; but did anticipate.  We expected this lie be realized by the rest of the crew quickly.  However, your behavior and its mishandling over the past month has proved problematic."

Rayek didn't want to point fingers but couldn't help but wish Benjin had just shown up for his shift on time as he was supposed to.  Yet one thing above all bothered Rayek more than anything else, with what Benjin said.

"And most importantly, we have never ostracized you.  Yes, we are busy - but it has been you who has opted out of participating when Tess and I have found the time to come together with your brothers and your father.  You have chosen to distance yourself from us - likely trying to avoid the gossip of your peers.  It is not us ignoring you."

Captain Tess t'Lhoell

It was in Lared's nature, from what she knew of him, that he offered his help immediately even if he didn't feel well at all. While the information was very important, Tess didn't want to push him. Especially since she wanted to give Rayek the opportunity to be here in person for the questioning. "I appreciate your willingness and cooperation", Tess acknowledged quitely. "Commander tr'Lhoell is in a meeting at the moment. I would like to give you the opportunity to gather yourself and your thoughts a little, as much is possible for you." She briefly glanced to Phara, knowing that she would take care of her husband during that time. "I just wanted to inform you that we will need to field questions from you about the explosion." She hoped that Lared could use that time to try and remember details they for certain would ask.

Lared nodded his agreement; but even as he did so he felt his eyes getting heavy.   He'd already reached the limit of his wakefulness.   "Of course, Captain. I understand.  I know that the explosion was no accident..." 

Lared's eyes drifted shut.  Phara looked to the Captain worriedly and clutched at her husband's hand.   "Is he okay?"