Author Topic: A'Thaton/Rahma Outdoor Program Stage #1: Joint Recreation & Training (Open All)  (Read 1318 times)

AThaton

• Approved Applicants
  • Applicant
  • Corrected Atheton ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
<Camp Rho - A'Thaton/Rahma Outdoor Program Stage #1: Joint Recreation & Training - Holosuite - Deck 13 - Katra Station>

Standing in a campground overlooking a stretch of ocean on one side and the summertime green forests on the other, a gathering of various denizens of Katra station were gathered together. Some people had brought or had the holosuite replicate some recreational ground craft like bicycles and hovercraft; others were dressed in their personal hiking and running gear; others still were in the standard issue Starfleet training clothes. At the head of the congregation standing on a raised blue podium was an athletic lightly tanned human woman with short dyed blue hair with matching hiking attire and a backpack expertly packed resting at her feet; next to her was a Caitian dressed in short-sleeved grey Starfleet training attire with a red stripe across his collorbone marking him a flight or command division crew with the steel-grey backpack tied to his back.

"Good morning everyone!" called out A'Thaton across the gathering. "Welcome to our outdoor joint recreation & training program. My name is A'Thaton and beside me is my partner Rahma, we'll be your organizers for this event. Our goal here today is to allow all of you to enjoy the program we are gathered to enjoy. Rahma is an expert adventure hiker who has seen as many worlds and vistas as I have across the Federation and beyond."

"More than he'd like to admit!" Rahma called out with one flat palm up next to her face to indicate she was speaking to the crowd as an aside; though, loud enough for everyone to hear. Some of the crowd chuckled at her smiling jest.

"As for myself, I am an experienced Starfleet officer who has trained many officers and crew in outdoor survival, exo-planetary overland travel, and have been hiking with Rahma across the galaxy. We each have over 30 years of experience with terrain as presented around you and worst yet." A'Thaton gestured around himself as he spoke. "This first stage is based on the terrain of the Fundy Heritage Park on Earth; modified to allow for use of vehicles, increased challenge routes, and above all: safety, with or without the filter turned on. Dotted around this park will be live person volunteers as well as holographic assistants to guide you around the course and help you no matter where you are."

He gestured with a sweep of his arm behind himself to trigger a map of the park and all its camps in the middle of the air, "This blinking white dot is where we are: camp Rho, the main camp that links with the other base camps around the park." He then turned to address the crowd. "Each base camp will have one of these maps that our volunteers can help you access. But, once you're away from camp the program will not pull up the map. You are expected to either use the PADDs or plastic maps while on the trails for the best immersive experience." He looked at his fellow Starfleet grey shirts with their team leaders. "Team leaders, I will be your liaison for all the Starfleet training routes. Any orienteering or guidance you need, I will provide. I can also adjust some parameters for your exercises."

Rahma spoke up, "Everyone else here for just a bit of challenge or enjoy one of Earth's most beautiful parks, I'll be your civil liaison, we have lots of volunteers with blue arm bands who will coordinate with me if you need help with something. If you want to take on one of the difficult trails please come speak with me and I can brief you on what to expect. This may be Earth, but this place has challenged Humans and visitors alike: so please, do not underestimate the terrain! You want to have a challenge I will give it to you, but understand I'm here to help you get the best out of your visit today!"

A'Thaton gestured to the gathering of wheeled and ground-effect vehicles hovering near them. "For those using vehicles, I expect all of you to follow the signs posted, the warnings on your vehicles, as well as any directions by the road marshals. This is a shared program with people on-foot and slower moving vehicles. Enjoy yourselves but please be safe!"

A'Thaton looked over at Rahma and leaned over to her, "I think that's everything?"

"The next stage?" She said with a raised eyebrow and a grin.

The Caitain clapped his paws together and nodded, "Right! So this is the first stage we'll be doing for the next twenty-four hours. A full day/night Earth cycle. This stage is the easiest of them all. Next week will be stage two where we'll be going on much more difficult and challenging terrain on Vulcan. Stage three is based on the Starfleet Academy survival training course, with some unique twists thrown in based on Rahma's and my own experiences in our adventures. I suggest those of you who are new to this type of program: feel out if this is something you enjoy and can safely do. Later stages will involve very challenging atmospheres and much more unforgiving terrain. If you feel upto stage two by the end of today, come see me or Rahma for sign-ups. If you want to sign up for stage three on week three, you will need a note from a medical professional as well as a consult with either myself or Rahma to make sure you are upto the challenge. Alright, that's it for us, get out there and push yourselves..."

"...but don't hurt yourselves!" Rahma finished as she waved with A'Thaton to the crowd: some people clapping, others staring blankly at the strange ritual the couple had for starting a program.

<Camp Rho - Fundy Heritage Park - Earth>

After stepping off the podium, A'Thaton and Rahma quickly got to talking with their respective groups. The two of them had ran the program for years on the Yeager and at various starports across the Federation and always enjoyed putting the event on. At first it was just a little program for the two of them to enjoy when they couldn't get planetside, but over the years the program evolved into a larger event that drew curious civil hikers as well as some Starfleet training instructors. Each time there were those who had played the program before but never had the hosts themselves in-person to organize it; there were those curious to see what all the fuss was about; and there were those who kept wondering when the murder mystery was going to happen. In the first, A'Thaton and Rahma were happy to share new updates, some tricks and techniques to getting through the program or learn about modifications other people had done; for the second, they worked through what Earth was, what the park was like, what activities were available, and assured that anyone of any skill level was welcome in the first stage; the last group had to be told, repeatedly, that there was no big scary wizard on the horizon, no murders, no strange beasties: it was just a recreational outdoor simulation that was also used for training purposes.

Eventually the questions stopped and the crowd of people began to fan out across the holographic forest and hills: seeking waterfalls, beachfronts, and some racing to the nearest high difficulty routes. A'Thaton and Rahma smiled at each other after giving each other a brief hug. "I think you rushed the bit." "I didn't, I was making up for you going to slow!" "Oh? I was slow was I?" they teased each other about their opening performance for the crowd: a bit they ended up doing every time they opened the event. Even with the holographic versions of themselves, the program was designed to run through the orientation bit unless the user specifically asked to skip it: at which point holo-A'Thaton and holo-Rahma teased the user for not wanting advice (just to make sure they meant to skip the orientation.) But at last, it was just the pair of them looking over the last few people who were still hanging about Camp Rho: some just doing last minute preparations before going out into the trails; others who had just been waiting for the crowd to thin out before approaching the pair.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 03:54:36 pm by AThaton »
"The Hardest Work Is Done By Those You Rarely See" ~A'Thaton

Peter Dannenberg

• Approved Applicants
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Ensign Peter Dannenberg
[Katra Station - Holodeck]

Peter stood among the people that had chosen to attend the holodeck adventure. Admittedly, it was more demanding than he would have imagined. But during the instructions the Caitian A'Thaton and the woman gave, it became clear that they really had prepared something for everyone. Not that Peter shied away of some physical execise. He went to gym regularly and boxing was one of his hobbies. But apart from that, working out was not always on the top of his list.

When people then began to leave, starting their little journey and adventure, Peter had not yet decided on what he wanted to do. Originally, he had thought it would be some sort of hiking program, so he stood there in a hiking outfit with heavy boots and a cap. Stepping up to the Caitian and Rhama, Peter smiled broadly at them. "Is this something you do regularly? You guys seemed ... well attuned." He looked to the woman and lifted his hand in greeting. "I'm Peter, hi", he introduced himself. The Caitian he had already gotten to knew who had invited him to this holodeck program.

AThaton

• Approved Applicants
  • Applicant
  • Corrected Atheton ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
<Camp Rho - Fundy Heritage Park - Earth - Holodeck>

A'Thaton looked at his darling Rahma in his arms and raised an eyebrow at her. Rahma gave her Caitian one more squeeze before finally letting him go. "Nice to meet you Peter! A'Thaton has been saying so many nasty things about you!" She said with a soft wave back and grinning when A'Thaton gave her look and growled at her a little: earning him an energetic wave of his own. "No I have not, she is teasing."

A'Thaton turned to address the young Human in front of them, "As for this program, we try to run it at least once a year, at one point we were doing it..." he trailed off as he looked to Rahma. "I want to say three, maybe four times for a couple years?"

Rahma put a finger to her chin, "We only did it four times the once. Oh! That was just awful! We basically had two jobs a piece, our own jobs plus running the events. Getting all the volunteers together is the hardest part: even when you KNOW everyone! We've never done more than three since then. And we're only doing just the one this year to get a feel for how many people even like it on Katra."

"As for attuned, well, we've been doing this for years. Even during my rehab colony time I ended up still running it. Apparently a good holo-hike is a great way to get some time to reconsider your choices in life." A'Thaton looked up for a moment remembering a few of his fellow detainees who were such grim and stern folk until he showed them how to cross a roaring river or scale a waterfall quickly.

"What about you, Peter?" Rahma said with a smile and reaching out to touch to his arm, eyeing his muscles as if a new sculpture was just waiting for her there. "You looking for a fun hike or did A'Thaton trick you following his routes?" She gave A'Thaton a faux-accusatory side eye, knowing her old Cat loved to push himself to his limits and sometimes forgot not everyone he invited could keep his pace; though she could hardly blame him, since she did the same to him in his Academy days.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 02:29:28 am by AThaton »

Peter Dannenberg

• Approved Applicants
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Ensign Peter Dannenberg
[Katra Station - Holodeck - Camp Rho - Fundy Heritage Park - Earth]

At Rahma's remark, Peter had to laugh out loud. "Oh don't worry, wouldn't be the first time I've heard that," he grinned. He listened with interest as the two answered his question. Peter didn't mind at all when Rahma touched his arm and it almost seemed like she was examining his muscles. Well, he had some.

"Oh, I actually haven't quite decided yet, so I guess that's why I'm the only one left here," he smirked. "But hearing your stories, and especially how long you've been doing this, it sounds very tempting to take up the challenge and compete with the pros." His gaze slid over to A'Thaton as he said this. The Caitian seemed like an interesting ... Cat. And he imagined it would be fun to be out and about with him. "That is, if you don't mind having a noob tied to your leg," he laughed.

AThaton

• Approved Applicants
  • Applicant
  • Corrected Atheton ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
<Camp Rho - Fundy Heritage Park - Earth - Holodeck>

At Peter's acceptance of the challenge, A'Thaton and Rahma together smiled, though the Caitain bared his fangs in his glee: it was there in Rahma's eyes and her minimal smirk that somehow made hers seem more predatory than her Caitian partner. "I'll be sure to play nice, Peter." A'Thaton turned to kiss Rahma and said. "I'll be taking him past Matthew's Head for warm up, then back to head out for Laverty to cool off. Since he's a Academy grad, he should be able to keep up." He then turned back to look at Peter as he shrugged his backpack into place and resettled it on his back. "We'll get a great view of the coast down at the Head, Laverty is one of beautiful falls with a swimming hole at the bottom. In all we should clear both inside four hours. We can rest up down by the falls and, if you're still feeling up for it, we can take you out for one of the difficult trails. That one we'll both be sure to go with you. The hard trails are just as bad as the survival training classes back at the Academy, slippery, narrow, and with obstacles that will push you."

Rahma patted the two men on the shoulder. "You two have fun. I'll take the north sector since you'll be taking the south: I'll meet ya both up at the falls. Hope you brought your swimming trunks!" She then turned to sweep up her own backpack and snap it securely into place before waving at them both and heading off and gave A'Thaton one more parting jab. "No sniffing his butt A'Thaton! You should already know him well enough!" She said with a laugh and she jogged away into woods.

"That's dogs you pretentious debutante!" A'Thaton shouted back at her retreating back with a grin. He then looked back to Peter and briefly wondered if he knew that. He then blinked a beat before reaffirming, "Seriously, not a Caitain thing."

<Matthew's Head Trailhead - Camp Rho - Fundy Heritage Park - Earth - Holodeck>

He then cleared his throat and turned to walk toward the southern trail routes to lead Peter toward the one marked Matthew's Head. "We'll be keeping fairly brisk pace, but don't feel the need to run: we'll have some elevation gains followed by some short steep parts over somewhat rough  but clear trails. It's a four and a half kilometer loop, the up-close view of the coast is about halfway on the far part of the loop. We'll take a short break there and and enjoy the view a bit. Plus, I need to check in with all the volunteers to make sure no-one needs help or got lost. After that we'll be hitting a couple steep bits and viewpoints. Just stick by me and you'll do fine!"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:51:39 pm by AThaton »

Peter Dannenberg

• Approved Applicants
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Ensign Peter Dannenberg
[Camp Rho - Fundy Heritage Park - Earth - Holodeck]

"Sounds like a plan", Peter agreen, grinning widely as AThaton laid out his plans for their route. He was really excited to check the place out and get some excercise in as well. At the exchange of words regarding sniffing or not sniffing anyone's butt, Peter laughed out loud. "I'm relieved to hear that!"

[Matthew's Head Trailhead - Camp Rho - Fundy Heritage Park - Earth - Holodeck]

With his backpack up at his back, Peter followed the Caitian toward the southers trail. He was easily able to keep up the pace. "Four and a half kilometers? That actually isn't too bad for the beginning." He made a brief pause to breathe, then commented, "I can't wait to see the coast, I've always loved the beach and the sea. One of my hobbies is surfing. Have you tried that before? Or, uh ..." He faltered. "Ah, nevermind. Caitians probably don't like water that much, do you?" He grinned sheepishly at AThaton but was genuinely curious to know if that was the case or if it was just a stereotype.