Author Topic: The Wretched Masses - Season 1, Episode 3  (Read 17895 times)

Solluk

• Site Administrators
  • Competent Member
  • Site Administrators
  • Captain Solluk's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
The Wretched Masses - Season 1, Episode 3
« on: July 27, 2021, 04:23:46 pm »

Federation-Starfleet Affairs Office - Katra Station

Jun Ji smiled as she put a new image on the screen.  "We were thinking of a series of four Nova class vessels.  We have the plans for them, and should be able to produce the series in short order."

Solluk turned to look at the screen, doing his best to seem surprised by the proposal. 

"Well, the Nova class has a good reputation for scientific and surveying work, but its drive systems are somewhat underpowered, and its combat endurance is limited.  The Nova class was designed to defend itself if necessary, and has impressive armaments for its role, but it was not designed for duty in dangerous frontier environments.  Its limited speed also means it can not escape danger with suitable rapidity.  This is why the class was not often utilized as a scout during the Dominion War, despite its sensor capability."

He paused, then added, "I was thinking of the Defiant class."

Jun's smile wavered.  "It's important that, while we provide defense, we also continue to emphasize Starfleet's mission of peaceful exploration, don't you think?  The Defiant is a... controversial choice.  Its scientific research capabilities are almost nonexistent."

Solluk nodded, "I can appreciate that.  But it will be more controversial if the ships produced- and their crews- are lost during a combat scenario.  And I should point out that even with the most rudimentary of science facilities, the Defiant class has proven it can perform research in the field.  It was the primary explorer in this very quadrant for years."

Jun sighed.  "During a period when war loomed, and there were no other options.  Captain, when the Council authorized the necessary resources to expand the local fleet, I thought you'd be pleased.  There had been a decent chance that the Theseus class cruisers would be the last ships you'd receive for a long time.  But it now seems if you can't have things your way, you don't want them at all."

Solluk lifted a hand, palm outward, "Please do not mistake me, Miss Ji.  I am pleased that we are going to expand Starfleet resources.  It was an unexpected... Olive branch... from the interim government.  However, I do not want the additional assets to be useful only on paper.  I do not want them to serve as a gesture to placate frightened citizens who want to feel that we are conducting operations as we normally would.  I much prefer that these new ships will actually meet our needs in the field.  Those needs include potential combat scenarios."

Jun brought up a new display showing construction projections, "Well, the Nova can be constructed on the ground if necessary, using runabout and light freighter construction facilities which exist on New Bajor.  This means we can get them out in half the time of a Defiant-class build.  They would need no gravity sleds or launch assists to get into orbit after construction because they can take off on their own power.  A Defiant class ship would need to be constructed at the shipyard, which I'm sure you know has limited capacity due to its incomplete construction and the damage its modules sustained coming through the wormhole." 

Solluk nodded, "I appreciate those points.  Perhaps we can reach a compromise.  There was a more robust variant of the Nova constructed recently at the Luna yards in the Sol system.  It was intended for longer-range missions farther from support.  I believe Captain Kim was slated for command, last I heard."

Jun leaned back in her chair, "The Rhode Island Class?"  She considered this, "It's still a new design.  We might build them only to discover problems, or learn that performance is less than the design team suggested.  And it only has 80% of the research capacity of the Nova."

Solluk shrugged, "New, yes, but based on a trusted platform.  She has a more powerful warp core, a more robust hull, improved shields.  It would allow you the friendly appearance of a science ship- thus placating public opinion- while also providing me the combat capability I need for operations in potentially hostile territory."

Jun stood, picking up her PADD.  "I'll send the proposal to my superiors."  A broad smile returned to her features.  To Solluk's eye, there was little genuine about it. 

"I appreciate your consideration," he said, "Please let me know the result when you have it."  And then withdrew from the room.

Operational Control Center - Katra Station

"You were right, as usual," Solluk announced to his XO as he stepped into the OCC.  "They wanted to build science ships.  I'm surprised they didn't propose Oberths."

Solluk had nearly gotten whiplash these past several weeks, between proposals for civil-rights-destroying security policies and demands that the local Starfleet presence avoid the appearance of being aggressive or antagonistic.  One representative had even proposed ending the Close Area Patrols of fighters in the Trialus system.

"Is there any news on the subspace signatures we detected approaching the station?"  He approached the room's center holotable display, preparing to bring up the long-range sensor returns.

Before he'd gone to his meeting, the Long Range sensors had picked up a massive amount of slow-moving warp signatures heading in the direction of the Trialus system.  He'd ordered a high-speed probe launch.  Now that the probe was well past the Oort cloud, he hoped they'd get some more intel on what was coming their way.

John Saxon

• Site Administrators
  • Competent Member
  • John Saxon's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: The Wretched Masses - Season 1, Episode 3
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 04:22:09 am »

<Operational Control Centre - Katra Station>

Old - but strong - arms behind his back, one eye on the holoimager in the centre of the large chamber, the other on the viewscreen showing a beautiful visage of the planet below them, Commander John 'Century' Saxon looked for all the world as an ever vigilant watchful sentry, standing stoically at the gates.

His stance only moderately changed as the Captain returned from his briefing, only shoulders and head turning to greet his Commanding Officer. At Solluk's report of the outcome, the venerable veteran nodded with an expression on his weathered, craggy face that conveyed no triumph in his prediction. Indeed, his short, almost-scruffy (a privilege of the old) beard all-but rolled its metaphoric eyes in response. Saxon was a soldier of the past, striving to adapt to a bright future of peace, but whilst the 99-year old war-dog was always open to learning new tricks and new ways of thinking, events in this sector of space continued to prove to him that peace was for the young.

And sometimes for the naïve.

Such as it was with this new Interim (Emergency) Federation Council, who thought it more important to promote the idealistic principles of the Federation rather than focus on their survival while the Idran-Bajoran wormhole remained closed.

'Century' had no issues with exploration. To seek out new life and new civilizations; indeed, it was the very rousing call that had been on the top of the application form to Starfleet over 80 years ago. In some ways he lamented the more martial career path he had gone down, a master of warfare rather than a pioneer of discovery. But exploration was a luxury. Self-defence was a right. And his duty was to protect that right so the peoples of the Federation - be they in the Alpha or Gamma Quadrants - could enjoy those same luxuries without fear.

He could hardly do that with a flotilla of flying microscopes.

And yet, the mention of Oberth-class starships forced a wry smile beneath the stern, weathered mask. Some of the most courageous people he ever knew were on those ancient relics - a comparison he tried not to dwell on; 3 of those small science vessels were famously present at the Battle of Sector 001 against the Borg in 2373, a feat of valour that made even he feel inadequate.

Putting those thoughts aside, Saxon turned back to face the holoimager as Solluk enquired as to the latest update to the newest mystery. "Almost in range, Captain" he responded in answer, eyes skewering the information expected to stream through from the probe at any moment.
There are old soldiers.
And there are bold soldiers.
And then there’s:
John 'Century' Saxon

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 02:09:40 pm »
[Docking Bay]
Katra was starting to feel like home. Slowly but sure the station at the end of the universe was growing on him. He knew more people and had his own little family in the form of Cathy, Juraan and the Paklets.
What did a man need more? Maybe a girl friend one day but that wasn't in sight.

Like many other days Finn spent his free time fiddling around on his new ship. Familiarizing himself with everything and optimizing other things.
Today was no different.
He was sitting on the floor of the loading area next to one of the panels with a small hand held scanner and some tools when he heard a sound.
Was someone on board?

James Bryson

• Reserved Player
  • Lt. jg Bryson Katra
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 08:22:06 pm »
Docking Bay - SS Wonderland

Jeb had asked the station computer to locate Finn Moreno and he had been informed that the civilian captain was aboard his ship. His attempts to contact someone aboard the ship to get permission to board had gone unanswered so he had taken upon himself to board and seek out Moreno. The ships computer had informed him that the captain was in the ships loading area. Jeb made his way there. As he rounded a corner, he accidentally kicked a crate that was sitting right around the corner. He was close his destination so if the Wonderland captain was till there, he definitely know someone was aboard his ship. Jeb decided to announce himself.

"Mister Moreno. This is Ensign James Bryson from the Katra. We need to speak with you sir." he called out.

When the man finally revealed himself, Jeb signaled for the other two security officers that were with him to stand fast and walked to meet Moreno.

"Sir. We're gonna need you to come with us over to the station please." he said. "We have a few things we need to speak with you about."

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 12:58:48 am »
[Wonderland-docking bay]
So someone was really here. Someone who didn't look very familiar. Finn straightened and turned around to look at the man. He had two security officers with him which made Finn freeze. Why were they here? What had he done?
Instantly his mind ran through all sorts of possible events in his past that could be considered a crime. Like smuggling alcohol. None of them were in the recent past or in Federation space. The pilot had actually tried his very best to be a decent citizen.
Maybe this was about the transport that got him to Katra in the first place.

He did not move. Instead he demanded to know.
What's this all about? I'd like to know before I'm going anywhere with you.
Could he possibly take on all three and then take off with his ship?

Juraan Ren

• Approved Applicants
  • Probationer
  • ID for Juraan Ren
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 01:42:24 pm »
[Katra Station - Promenade]

Juraan enjoyed Tamani's company greatly. The Bajoran doctor had helped out on Kir'Shara outpost to further look after the wounded. Even after the horrible event was over, the Wonderland's crew had remained on the station. If nothing else, they needed a new job. But Juraan didn't mind to spend some time on the station with his mates, Finn and Cathy. And most recently, with Tamani. She had recovered completely from her injuries and now, after they had taken a walk in the arboretum, they were heading towards the restaurant they actually had met - under strange circumstances.

"Feels a little weird to come here again", Tamani said with a cautious gaze around them as they approached the IDIC.

"I won't let anything happen to you, don't worry", Juraan said with a small grin. Instead of entering the restaurant, Juraan stopped at one of the vacant tables in front of the restaurant.

"They really have done a great job fixing this place", Tamani said after they had sat down. "Looks like nothing ever happened."

Juraan just sat opposite her and watched her pretty face. Especially her eyes seemed to draw him in every time he looked at them.

"What?", Tamani grinned and leaned forward, grinning at him challeging.

The Bajoran doctor blinked and smiled. "Usually people say 'Nothing' in response to such a question. But I really don't want to say that because ..."

"Because?"

"Because I have seen the most beautiful pair of eyes looking at me. That's not nothing."

Tamani laughed and made a dismissive gesture before she picked up a menu card. "I bet you say that to every woman you meet."

Of course that wasn't true. But Juraan liked to tease her and just grinned in response.

Tamani laughed again. "You should say now 'No, of course not, I only say that to you!"

His grin widened. "I already told you I'm not one for the standard replies."
Species: Bajoran

Alt of Tess t'Lhoell

Solluk

• Site Administrators
  • Competent Member
  • Site Administrators
  • Captain Solluk's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 01:45:59 am »

<Operational Control Centre - Katra Station>

Solluk turned his attention to the display as telemetry began to come in.

At this range, FTL particles and subspace disruptions required the computer to render approximations of the ships being detected at the far end of sensor range.  Colors could only be guessed at.  Lighting was artificially placed.  Shapes were projected from sensor returns.  Still, the computer usually did a fair job at this, and Solluk could be assured that whatever was approaching, it would look something like the displayed image.

And what did it look like?

Several dozens of ships, of every conceivable shape and apparent purpose.  It looked like some civilization had just placed every spaceworthy craft into a flotilla and sent it aloft in the direction of Katra station.  The speed of the flotilla was low: only Warp 5.  Most of the ships did not seem to be warships.  The warp trails behind the ships went on past sensor range, suggesting a long voyage for this ragtag fleet.

And why? 

It did not seem like an attack.  But it did seem to be aimed directly at the Trialus system.

"Ops, send Linguacode and full translation matrix, and code a request that they respond when they have deciphered it."

The operations officer responded quickly, "Aye, Captain.  They should have it in about 5 minutes.  At their current speed, it will take them three days to reach the system."

Solluk nodded, "Five minutes for them to get the Linguacode.  An unknown time for their computers to crunch it.  Then we'll get a response.  Hopefully, the Linguacode is sensible to them, or our U.T. is able to figure out their language with very little context.  I do not wish to have knife-fights in the Meridian jungles."

He smiled at Saxon.

Katra Station - Promenade

A large space had been cleared on the promenade, with many folding chairs laid out for people to sit.  In front of those seats stood a podium where an auctioneer surveyed the crowd.  The crowd were all carrying colored digital smart-placards with glowing numbers displayed on them in large font.  Bajorans, Meridians, Tellarites, Klingons, Romulans, and Humans filled the chairs...  And one solitary Pakled.

A holographic image was projected near the podium, and the auctioneer gestured to it.

"The first of the three ships we'll be auctioning today is also the star of the auction.  The 'Latinum Lobe,' a twenty-year-old D'Kora Class, Type B armed Freighter.  Recently impounded from convicted criminals, the Latinum Lobe was once gilded by a 2-millimeter-thick layer of gold-stabilized-latinum duroalloy, which has since been removed. 

The remaining duranium hull of the ship has suffered several breaches, and its internal systems have experienced extensive damage.  However, the ship can be made spaceworthy again with a little bit of time, effort, and credits.   

When in proper service, the Latinum Lobe enjoys a top speed exceeding Warp 9, has extensive cargo capacity, and can defend itself with plasma disruptors and a plasma missile suite.  A pristine embedded warp-yacht on the ventral hull stands ready for independent missions within a 20 light-year radius of the main craft.  The Latinum Lobe is currently configured with automation systems allowing it to operate with a skeleton crew.  However, this class of ship normally enjoys a crew complement of 450 personnel, and its environmental systems remain capable of supporting twice that capacity.

The bidding starts at 50,000 credits, or twelve-and-one-half bricks of Gold-Pressed Latinum..."

And with that, individuals in the crowd began to lift their cards, beginning an intense bidding war.  The only figure in the crowd not bidding on the ship was the lone Pakled, who sat quietly, waiting for the frenzy to be over.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:48:11 am by Solluk »

James Bryson

• Reserved Player
  • Lt. jg Bryson Katra
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 09:55:48 am »
[Wonderland-docking bay]

So someone was really here. Someone who didn't look very familiar. Finn straightened and turned around to look at the man. He had two security officers with him which made Finn freeze. Why were they here? What had he done?
Instantly his mind ran through all sorts of possible events in his past that could be considered a crime. Like smuggling alcohol. None of them were in the recent past or in Federation space. The pilot had actually tried his very best to be a decent citizen.
Maybe this was about the transport that got him to Katra in the first place.

He did not move. Instead he demanded to know.
What's this all about? I'd like to know before I'm going anywhere with you.
Could he possibly take on all three and then take off with his ship?

Jeb released a sigh of annoyance. He had other things to be doing right now. Other Starfleet stuff. But with Wessex now planet side, the security department had taken up some more of the civilian security duties as well. But he understood the man's inquiry. He remembered the Wonderland's captain being the same way back when they rescued him and his crew from a planet that seemed to want to kill anyone and everyone not so long ago.

"I don't think you want to have this conversation right here, right now, Sir." Jeb said with a glance at the other two security officers.

When the man didn't move, Jeb just sighed once more and shook his head as he hung it low.

"You've been accused of....of.....tampering with Federation technology." Jeb finally divulged. "Now can we go?"

Still no movement.

"Fine. Have it your way." Jeb said as he straightened up. "It appears that a few nights ago, you may have enjoyed the company of another person in your quarters, at least I hope someone else was present, and you decided to replicate a certain item that couples, um, they have been known to use to enhance their, well, sexual experience. Somehow, the programming went awry and now, whenever someone orders water anywhere on the station, it produces the said item that you programmed in."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:35:35 am by James Bryson »

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 11:01:32 am »
[Wonderland]
For a moment the ensign even had Finn wondering what Federation equipment he had tempered with in a way that it caused security to show up. He'd been fiddling around with some outlets of the docking bay to speed up recharging but that could not be it.

The man looked serious but what he was saying sounded absolutely ridiculous.
So he assumed it was a joke and laughed put loud.
And you're going to charge me with mass production of sex toys? Wow, how many years will I get for that? He chuckled again and finally became serious because the officers didn't join in.

"Okay. So what do you really want from me?"

Maybe three officers were to be taken serious.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:03:34 am by Finn Moreno »

James Bryson

• Reserved Player
  • Lt. jg Bryson Katra
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 11:34:06 am »
[Wonderland]

As far as Jeb knew, only he and few others above him knew what was actually going on with Moreno so he glanced over his shoulder once again before looking back at his "suspect". He took a step forward and held up his hands to show no violent attentions.

"It's the programming." Jeb whispered so that only Moreno could hear him. "There were traces of Ferengi language in it. The thing is, in order for the program to have been written, some Federation information would have to had been shared and that violates Starfleet policies. Especially if said information was shared with Ferengis or maybe some other folks that might not be on friendly terms with the Federation. You could be charged with treason for trading Federation secrets. I just want to get out in front of this before word gets out and it's taken out of the station's hands."

Jeb stepped back. "Now may we go and get this handled?" he asked.

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 11:42:44 am »
[Wonderland]
Finn only understood half of what he was accused of but he knew denying it now wouldn't lead anywhere.

So he wrinkled his brow and nodded.
This is some sort of mistake. But Icm sure that'll clear itself up.
There was a bit of doubt. Hopefully he would nit take the fall for someone else.

He stepped out of the ship with the officers.

James Bryson

• Reserved Player
  • Lt. jg Bryson Katra
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 11:53:46 am »
[Wonderland ---> Interrogation/Brig]

Moreno had decided to come along with Jeb and the others so Jeb found no reason for restraints. They paused just outside the ship so that the captain could secure it before continuing on to the lifts. The whole trip was taken in silence. Once they reached the interrogation rooms, Jeb dismissed the other guards.

"Take a seat." he said to Moreno.

Once they were seated, Jeb began his questioning.

"Can you tell me where you got the programming from?" Jeb began. "When you got it? Was it here on the base or else where?"

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 11:58:05 am »
[Wonderland]
The further they walked the harder his gaze became. Had someone set him up? He went through a list of possible enemies.

He walked into the room in silence and sat down. Once the questions were asked he blew out some air.
You've got the wrong guy. My name is Finn Moreno. I fly a freighter. I don't reprogram Starfleet replicators. I did not even use it.
He crossed his arms over his chest.

James Bryson

• Reserved Player
  • Lt. jg Bryson Katra
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 12:03:56 pm »
[Interrogation]

"Engineering did find an intrusive program command in the replicator system and when they traced it, it led back to the guests quarters that you were assigned on the station." Jeb explained to the man. "Are you sure you never used the replicator in those quarters?"

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 02:22:19 pm »
[interrogation room]
This was ridiculous. Some technical glitch for sure.

I did use it but not that night. And for the record: I don't speak Ferengi. Nor did I talk to a Ferengi.
Finn still couldn't tell how serious the situation was.
 He knew one thing- that he could not tell Ensign Bryson where he was that night because he'd been to one of the illegal card games where he won quite a bit of untaxed credits.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 02:23:55 pm by Finn Moreno »