Author Topic: Chiree - Reporting In - July 18th, 2021  (Read 923 times)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Chiree - Reporting In - July 18th, 2021
« on: June 18, 2021, 11:46:07 am »
Welcome!

Please post your application below! :)
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Chiree

• Approved Applicants
  • Applicant
  • ID for Chiree on Katra
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: Chiree - Reporting In - July 18th, 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 08:54:17 am »
NAME: Chiree
YEAR OF BIRTH: Made their first steps in 2341
SPECIES: Changeling (They are one of the Hundred - Foundlings sent out into the galaxy by the Founders to gather information.  They are unaware of this fact, however.  They call themselves a shifter.)
GENDER: Nonbinary (Genderfluid). Genderfluid with a tendency towards feminine.  Gender is a difficult topic for this changeling, because they are without a sex in their natural form.

HEIGHT: 5'4"
WEIGHT: Variable
EYE COLOR: Purple
HAIR COLOR: Brown
ADDITIONAL DESCRIPTION:
In their natural form, they are a viscous, golden-brown liquid.  This is a state they must return to about every 15-16 hours.

They have an established humanoid form, and to change it for them would take time and effort.  They have a slight, lithe form.  This form is obviously a mimicry of some sort of humanoid, and is barely passable.  For one, they haven't quite mastered the texture and flow of hair.  Their brown hair clumps at the back of their head, and seems to move all together -- to a point that it looks unnatural.  They possess a set of purple eyes; that colour being their favourite.  Their nose is almost non-existent, a slight protrusion with the interpretation of nostril slits.  Ears are difficult, and theirs are flat.

The only clothing they can manage is skin-tight, therefore, they have the need to wear clothing like any other individual, to 'fit in.'

FACECLAIM: My own artwork, seen above!

FAMILY: Unknown

REQUESTED SIM: Katra Station

REQUESTED DEPARTMENT: Civilian

OFFICER, ENLISTED, OR CIVILIAN: Civilian

DISCORD ID: dreams#9466

CHARACTER HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY:
At an unknown date, hundreds of years ago, the Founders of the Dominion sent out about a hundred infant Changelings.  Their exact reasons behind this are unknown, and some of these foundlings met a fatal end, but the Changeling who would later become known as Chiree did not.  The ship she'd come in however, did not come out intact, crashing to the bottom of a large lake.

It may have taken years, but the creature inside eventually figured out how to distribute its mass so that it could maneuver through the water.  Taking different shapes out of necessity because it was uncomfortable down here, and because there were creatures that tried to eat it (despite these creatures being unsuccessful).  It figured out eventually how to scrunch-thrust to the surface of the water, to where it was warm and the light in the sky shone brightly.  It found that it was more comfortable out of water; its needs were met.

But it saw other creatures, and began to mimic them, taking on a form slightly similar to these creatures.  Eventually even studying birds quite closely and learning to fly.  Flying was its passion now, and that's how it found the humanoid settlement.  It is probably around this time that its true sentience was beginning to emerge.  The Changeling was growing.  And like it mimicked other creatures, so too did it study the humanoids and their odd behaviour.  Such as the sounds they made towards each other, and how they changed the way they made those sounds, how their facial parts moved.

It learned to become something…vaguely humanoid.  It was lucky in that the humanoid who found it then was an understanding man who would take it in and hide it.  He was especially worried when it reverted to a liquid, but when it shifted back hours later, he realised the shapeshifter was okay.  He did not tell anyone but his wife, however, for he trusted no-one.

He tried to teach it, eventually realising he had to treat it like an infant who was still learning.  He started with language and, gradually, they would begin to communicate.  He gave the shapeshifter a name -- Chiree, meaning 'golden one' in his people's language, and referring to their natural state as a golden-brown formless liquid.  They would mimic him, and it's through that mimicry she really started to learn.  It was a proud day when they said their first words.

It was a happy time for the whole family, and there were times they forgot just how different their 'child' was.  They were always so proud of them, though.  And they could see improvement, as they refined their humanoid form, starting to look more and more like one of them.  Clothing was always difficult, though, and that was why their  'mother' loved to take them to get clothing.  Gender was also a strange topic, for one not born with one.  For a time, they were a she; and then they considered themselves a he.  Then they considered themselves to be neither.  Or perhaps they are still in a stage where they are experimenting with their gender.

They would often go flying, taking the form of a bird.  That is how they saw the strange metal bird (that turned out to be a space ship) that so intrigued them.  It was like the thing that they had come out of, but different in its design and its size.  Maybe it would have answers to the mystery that was their existence.  And so they entered it, in the form of a flying insect.  Insects are very intricate in how they are appear and so they were lucky nobody looked close, for they weren't the greatest at mimicry.

While they were on it, the strange metal object took off flying.  Up and into the skies!  Chiree was confused and scared yet intrigued, and little did they know they would end up farther from home than they could truly understand.

SAMPLE POST:
As Chiree flew in, they were instantly distracted.  There were so many flashing lights, of different colours!  It was beautiful, an artform.  They looked around, curious, but this wasn't a whole lot like the much smaller box that they had been in.  Memories of that, though, were quite vague, as that had been early in their existence.

What was this box?  Why did it fly around like this?  Did people live in here?  They looked out the window, seeing the lush fields of their homeland before them.  And then the door they had come through started to shut.  They flew towards it, but by the time they'd arrived, it was wedged tightly as a humanoid, speaking a language they didn't recognise, stepped through.

They were panicking now, trapped in the confines of this place.  And they hadn't rested in a while, either.  Clearly they hadn't thought any of this through.

The creatures spoke again, in that unfamiliar language, then the scene in the window began to change.  They were rising up, higher and higher, till they reached the sky.  Chiree panicked as they got higher and higher.  Then suddenly…it was night?  Stars were everywhere.  They watched in amazement, a bit of shock and horror, though as an insect, it was difficult to show that.

Someone opened the back door, and Chiree zipped past them into a room, looking it over as they saw rows and rows of metal boxes.  Strange, smooth metal boxes that seemed made as if by an expert craftsman.  Interesting.  Seeing these Chiree desired two things, but landed and waited for this person to finish and depart.  The door shut behind them, and Chiree was alone.

They landed on the ground and began to transition, growing as all of their limbs became liquid.  Arms, legs, and a head sprouted from the viscous orange liquid, the arms pushing against one of the crates as Chiree became more solid and needed to get their balance.  As they did, their eyes adjusting to the dim light, they looked around.  One of these boxes was not sitting straight, and their need for it to be straight was strong, so they pushed it gently into place.

Yes…interesting.  These metal crates had a smooth, round texture.  They were curious as to what was inside them, when they tried the latch it was shut tight.  There were buttons of a sort on the side with strange markings.  They pushed that and the buttons glowed each time they were pressed.  Then they started flashing red, and would no longer glow when pressed, confusing Chiree.  What were these buttons?

They realised how long they'd been in this form.  They'd been about to head home so that they could rest, but now, they couldn't get out of this box.  They needed to find a place to hide.  Luckily they found one of these crates that was empty and opened, and slipped inside.  Reverting to their liquid form was always so relaxing, especially after a long day.  They eased up and spread themselves among the crate, feeling their troubles wash away for a time as they rejuvenated themselves…

EXTRA:
Because a changeling is something that could be very overpowered, I want to specify this character's weaknesses and flaws below, as well as their strengths.

Chiree is very unaware of many things and will learn them as they go.  They are a 'discovery character' in that they are going to learn about Starfleet and its protocols, people and varying species, the ship, technology, and about the Gamma Quadrant itself as they go.

They are  a novice, at best, at shapeshifting.  They have taken a few forms such as a bird native to the planet they called their home.  Their humanoid form is rather plain and limited, as well as very, very obvious.  Solids might note an 'uncanny valley' look to her humanoid form (it's very obvious to those who've done their research that she's a Changeling).  Noses and ears give them specific difficulty, and their 'ears' are flat with an ear-like shape.

They can only shift skin-tight clothing at the present, and their hair is merely a clump.  They have a long way to go when it comes to taking a humanoid form.  This, the bird, and the dog-like form they take are perhaps the most complex forms they have taken.  Other forms they take are mostly shapes, in their liquid shape.

They must revert to their  liquid form every 15-16 hours.  Refusing (or being rendered unable - by a device such as the Obsidian Order's quantum stasis field) to do so will cause extreme physical pain, and a flaking/melting of their form.

They must study an object closely, to learn to take its form.  If they do not, they might attempt a mimicry of the object, but it might not perform correctly.  When they first took to the skies, they'd had to study the birds and their anatomy for a long time.  They are not fully aware of their abilities, and is very far from scratching the surface for a long time.

They have no sense of taste or smell; she can barely comprehend these senses.  They cannot eat or drink (and it would be messy to attempt to do so).  They see humanoids enjoying food and drink, however; that is the one thing they wish they, too, could enjoy.

They do not have telepathy, but may link with other Changelings (which they have not yet done, because they haven't encountered another Changeling).   Because of their non-humanoid brain, it is believed they cannot be read by telepaths such as Betazoids.

They have somewhat higher resistances to phaser fire and other elements due to their species' structure.  This does not mean at all that they are immune; a sufficiently high setting or a large amount of phaser fire would destroy them.  They are also susceptible to radiation poisoning.

They might be able to float in the vacuum of space, but it would be extremely uncomfortable, and they are not skilled enough to take a form that would move in that part of space.

(The world they come from is purposefully left vague.  All I've left cleared about it is it's not as advanced as Federation culture/the people on Katra.  I was vague about the visiting ship as well.  I left them open as plot threads if needed :) )
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 09:01:30 am by Chiree »
Chiree
Civilian - Changeling - Nonbinary (they/them)

NPCs: Hebrin Tayel

Solluk

• Reserved Player
  • Competent Member
  • Site Administrators
  • Captain Solluk's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 10:41:10 am »
Hello,

I had an opportunity to look this over midday, so I thought I'd chime in very quickly.

I enjoyed reading this app, and am impressed with the image.  I appreciate that you acknowledge the potential for a changeling character to be overpowered.

I did have a concern.  In our game, much of the activity centers around Starfleet activities.  There are some activities for civilians, but the civilians must be much more self-directed than the Starfleet characters.  They are not generally receiving mission assignments, and less direction is coming their way.  Are you okay with this more self-directed approach, and do you have thoughts on how to integrate your character with ongoing activities and existing persons?  I would hate for them to become a Promenade wanderer with little to do.

Cheers!

Chiree

• Approved Applicants
  • Applicant
  • ID for Chiree on Katra
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 10:58:40 am »
Hello,

I had an opportunity to look this over midday, so I thought I'd chime in very quickly.

I enjoyed reading this app, and am impressed with the image.  I appreciate that you acknowledge the potential for a changeling character to be overpowered.

I did have a concern.  In our game, much of the activity centers around Starfleet activities.  There are some activities for civilians, but the civilians must be much more self-directed than the Starfleet characters.  They are not generally receiving mission assignments, and less direction is coming their way.  Are you okay with this more self-directed approach, and do you have thoughts on how to integrate your character with ongoing activities and existing persons?  I would hate for them to become a Promenade wanderer with little to do.

Cheers!
Thank you!  :) I appreciate that you're letting me play this character and prove I can play them as not overpowered.

They start as a civilian, but what direction they take is going to depend on their experiences.  They are predisposed (if that's the right term) towards things involving order, as you could see by their RP sample and absolutely having to straighten out that one cargo crate.  For further integration -- them discovering and learning vocations and deciding on one would work perfectly IMO!

But basically, they will be learning as they go and taking jobs where they can, and I'm totally fine with the more self-directed approach.  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 11:25:27 am by Chiree »
Chiree
Civilian - Changeling - Nonbinary (they/them)

NPCs: Hebrin Tayel

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 12:37:13 am »
Approved  :)  Welcome to the 10th Fleet!
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography