Poll

Select the post you like the best...  (Amalthea crew only please)

Mas #13 - Mezmerizing
Ora #56 - Breaking Balls
Rayek #58 - Run!
Rojol #52 - Riddling
Tess #40 - Peer Pressure
Verlok #65 - Greater force

Author Topic: Amalthea POTM May 2021  (Read 628 times)

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Amalthea POTM May 2021
« on: June 02, 2021, 11:24:51 pm »
Mas # 13

USS Amalthea - Holodeck - Discus Party

"Oh?" Mas said to the Captain, learning that there was a talented tailor right here on the ship, "I'd love to meet her!  I hope she comes to the party."

Somewhat later, when the conversation turned to the uncomfortable subject of Commander Rayek's abilities, Mas felt the need to speak up.

"Rojol!  You've got the wrong idea about all of this.  You remember Cadet Invol?  The one who threw the best parties?  He was Betazoid.  I asked him once how it worked, and he explained it to me.  It's not at all how you think of it."

Mas gestured to the sparkling ball hanging from the ceiling.  "You see that Discus ball?  It shoots out lights at the dance floor.  If you look at the ball directly, it is so glittery that it is almost blinding.  But if you look away, there are these rays of lights hitting everything.  The floor, the walls, the people.  Everywhere you look, a spot of light.

What this is for people with eyes, telepathy is for people with that talent.

The rays of lights are our thoughts, and we are shooting them out across the room.  The telepaths are not violating us.  We are projecting.  Transmitting.  But usually there is no one who can see what we are transmitting.

The telepath is often not even interested in this display. 

But, like the Discus ball, it is shot out at them constantly, flashing all over. 

They have to learn to block it out.  They are not entering our minds.  Our minds are entering them.  And they have to figure out how to look away.

And really... how do you look away from something like this?"

As Mas spoke, he began moving his arms and legs in a wormlike fashion, beginning one of the superb dances of the Lurian people.

"It's mesmerizing.  Tantalizing.  Inescapable.  I don't blame you for looking.  How can you not?  It invades the eyes."

Ora #56

USS Amalthea - Level 10 of the Underground Temple Complex

When they got out of this maze of insanity, and the holodeck and ship were back in running order, Ora was going to have quite a few words with that Ferengi merchant who had sold her the necklace. Lesson learned, no more shiny trinkets for her. She should have known that stepping out of her comfort zone would lead to misery. Never again. Her uniform would be it from now on, and the only jewelry she would need was her comm badge.

The holodeck villain threatening their team, with his awful weapon technique put Ora’s teeth on edge. She wanted nothing more than to give him a lesson on the proper safety and carrying of such a weapon, but the overdressed human male was not part of her security crew. He’d have been fired the first day.

Ora knew what had to be done, the safety of her team was the priority. She slid right into the role that the holodeck had written for her. The Bolian gave a high pitched squeal and put the back of her hand over her blue forehead in the appropriately dramatic gesture that the script called for.

“Oh please, don’t hurt me!” Ora put the antique weapon she had taken on the ground, and slowly walked towards her victim. “Just don’t hurt me, and I will tell you where the rest of the treasure is!”

Ora finally stood in front of the man, and allowed her bottom lip to quiver a few times in the best damsel in distress manner she could muster up. And then her training kicked in, and all the ‘free’ time she had spent going over her own personal training regime: in one swift motion she pushed the gun away from the man, using it as a simultaneously distraction and leverage for her to bring the palm of her hand to strike upward, in a move which she hoped would produce a most satisfying crack of his nose.

Ora would then step in, bringing her knee up to his midsection, which should cause him to double over forward again. This would allow her to head-butt him and shoulder her body into his to push him to the ground prone. She would then step over him and give him a quick kick to the crotch to finish him off. The words would find her lips, “Sorry to break the jewels, sweetheart.”

If all went according to plan, Ora would look over at the other two crew, “Let’s use our rope and tie him up. Commander, would you like to switch out your weapon for his? And Ensign Malone, would you like his hat? I think it would go well with your outfit.”

Rayek #58

Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 11 - Horizontal Turbolift tube]

The 'girlish' squeal of fright from Ensign Loxis drew Rayek's attention.   But though she acted the part, the fear didn't show in her eyes.  'Ah.. ' So that's how she was going to deal with the man - play into the role.  Rayek mentally approved.  Physically, he remained still with his hands raised to show compliance with the gunman's orders.  His eyes however carefully observed the tunnel around where the man stood looking for a means to assist Ora when the time came.

The curving tunnel was lit by torchlight, and odd metal and wooden tracks lined its path.  The walls appeared to be rough hewn stone - like a mining tunnel.   A few loose looking outcrops above the man had potential and Rayek was considering using them should things not go well with Ensign Loxis.

Yet when the Bolian moved into action, there was nothing that Rayek needed to do as she had it handled efficiently.  Her strikes were precise and effective.  Within moments, the ensign deflected the gun away - which in his surprise the gunman managed to fire off a single bullet - which ricocheted off the stone wall yet thankfully hit no one -  then took down the gunman with a brutal finishing move, at which point Rayek winced sympathetically with the gunman.  Her pun was rather amusing and Rayek made a mental note to share it with Tess later - she'd find it funny he thought.

Moving to assist with restraining the villain of this holo-adventure, Rayek smiled towards the security officer. "Very fine moves there, Ensign.  Good job."

Her suggestion to tie him up using the rope was an excellent suggestion and Rayek nodded towards Mr. Molane who had kept hold of the rope in his back after they had descended.   While the Lurian did that Rayek did what Romulans did best, he questioned the man for information as to what lay further down the tunnel.  Rayek hadn't forgotten the warning about traps.   

Rayek was subtle with his interrogation since he really didn't want the junior officers being frightened of him.  Yet even with his subtly, the man who kept glancing towards Ora nervously, was very forthcoming out of a desire to avoid further pain.   The gunman informed them of what he called a 'pit trap' in the middle of the tunnel.   This had Rayek looking thoughtful. 

Once the man was bound, Rayek had Mas assume watch over him.   "He's yours to keep watch on.  Make sure he doesn't break free of his bonds." 

Rayek had indeed, upgraded his weapon but hoped he wouldn't have need of it.  "Let's continue on to this 'pit trap' - I think that might be the shaft down to the lower levels.. and our path to Holodeck two on Deck Twelve.  Ensign Loxis, lead the way."

The route was rather straight forward and Rayek, who was mentally measuring his steps, felt with some surety that the 'trap' the man had described was nothing more than the mid-ship vertical shaft of the turbolift system.  Just as the shaft came into sight ahead of them, a distant rumbling began to grow.   Glancing back behind him towards where the sound was seemingly coming from Rayek's eyes peered into the dimness of the torch lit tunnel and his eyes grew wide at the sight. 

Coming down the tunnel straight towards them was what looked like a large rolling boulder.  His intellect knew that it was likely just a holographic interpretation of a turbolift car moving through the tunnels - but that didn't make the danger of it any less. 

"RUN!" he called out as he urged his team forward, sprinting away from the approaching boulder.

Rojol #52

The Ensign took the lead walking down to the corridor. Then he slowed down as they entered a hallway with torches on the wall and letters on the floor. “Captain, you want to see this.”

Rojol was looking at the floor to see the letters with no meaning as unscramble. The flickering torch lights revealed a message he moved his lips as he softly spoke these words.

Then his eyes turned toward the floor again. It's a riddle indeed with the letters in his head he thought he saw the word ‘Presume’ but there was no second E. Then he slowly looked at the wall and floor once again.

“The beginning of eternity,” he repeated. He whispered “light” for some odd reason. Then ‘The end of time and space--’

“Measure?” he said. “Again a second E that is not there.” He shared as he was trying to figure out the riddle.

“The beginning of eternity” he took a deep breath to clear his head. Then he scanned the room for more clues. He looked up at the ceiling to see five skeletons from left to right and between each set there was a weird design on the ceiling. Or more a weird tile pattern. All the torches seemed to be all aligned against the wall on the same measure of distance.

“I don’t think standing on an E will be the solution,” he admitted. “Computer. Paper and pencil please?” He asked. “Piece of chalk.” Then he turned to the Captain. “If the computer does not give what I ask. I am going to want to use one of those torches. There will be a way to make ashes and we can make ash marks for charcoal powder. Cause I know I can’t figure this out without writing it.”

Then he turned back thinking about it. “The V keeps grabbing my attention. I am not sure if that is the first letter of a word. Or can it be more than one word?” he sighed.

“Or…” he said. “Beginning...B...Eternity...E...End...another E…” he sighed. “Es.” he shook his head. “Next word? Time...T.. is B.E.T. Bet..then Space..” he shook his head.

Then he looked at letters and then words on the wall. “There is no connection between vowels..”

Then he closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind and try again.

Tess #40

Captain Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Amalthea - Deck 9 - Corridor]

Tess caught Rayek's glance for a moment and was immediately reminded of his fear of hights. This was not going to be easy for him. She hoped he would recall his successful mastering of climbing down a high wall in the Wadi game Chula back on Katra. She looked at him until their eyes met - and she gave him an encouraging smile.

While she gazed up at the hole in the ceiling where they had to go, she heard Rayek asking the computer to replicate a rope ladder. Which it did, but it didn't look too confidence-inspiring and his dry comment made her chuckle a little bit.
The motion of Verlok kneeling down next to her then caught her attention. Apparently it was obvious that she needed help getting up there. "Thank you", she said a little sheepishly and placed her right foot into the palms of his linked fingers. Supporting herself with her left at the wall she glanced upwards, taking in where the individual stones protuded enough to provide enough surface for her to hold onto so she could pull herself up. When she had made her plan, she glanced to Verlok and Rojol. "Ensign Verlok will follow after me, then you, Ensign Takima. Give us coverage from there if we need it."

Tess lifted up the gun that was in her right hand, checked if the safeties of the thing were on and then pushed it in the slim leather belt around her hips that had no real purpose but was just there as fashionable part of the dress.

Speaking of the dress ... as Tess was about to climb up now, she realized that having both her officers climb up after her, the kneelength piece of clothing would inevitably quite revealing and that is of course knowing that neither Verlok or Rojol would even try to see something. Maybe she should have not only asked for shoes but also for a pair of trousers. But it was too late for that now. They needed to go.

Glancing back at Rayek, Mas and Ora she nodded at them. "Be careful of those traps. We don't know where they might be hidden. Good luck." Then she pushed herself off of Verlok's leg-up while reaching up to the most protruding stone at the rim of the hole which stood out just enough for her fingertips to grab onto it. With some strength in her arms that probably nobody would have given her credit for she used the momentum of the push-up to pull her self up enough and use the wall right below it to pull herself up further until she was well into the tunnel and could hold herself there by spreading her legs with her feet on either side of the round wall. Going up like this 6 decks meant enormous strain on all of the muscles, especially though the legs. Tess might have a bit of an advantage here since she was a very good climber, had been ever since here teenage years.

Climbing up a few meters to make space for Verlok, she glanced down to make sure they would follow.

NPC Cadet Benjin Moreno (Flight)
[USS Amalthea - Deck 12 - Holodeck]

"What do you mean you can't reverse it?", Benjin asked bewildered as he stepped up next to Jonne. His holodeck program suddenly had started to morph into something very different. When they had been calling for an arch, it had not appeared. And the computer was not taking any verbal orders but kept saying that holodeck control was only possible from their location. It was all very weird. He looked at the spot where the control panel at the arch had been a moment ago. Now there was just a stone wall.

"I'm trying, okay, give me a break!" Jonne stood there and stared at the wall. "Why isn't the computer working properly?!" He called frustrated.

"Because you broke it?!"

"Shut up, Moreno!"

"I'll call help now."

"No, you won't!" Jonne grabbed Benjin roughly at the shoulder and pulled him back forcefully. The young man had not expected that and lost his balance as he stumbled backwards - crashing with one of the huge torches on the ground.

Before Benjin knew what happened, he felt a searing hot pain in his left hand. He cried out before he crashed to the ground, clutching his arm. As he looked at his hand, he saw that the skin was slightly singed. "The fire is real?!", he gasped in pain. It certainly didn't look too bad, but the skin burned badly.

A sudden realization seemed to overcome the four young officers.

"Damn, Jonne, what have you done", Matt stated in disbelief. "If you temper with the computer then be certain you know what you're doing!"

"We really should call help now", Lexa said, who had knelt down beside Benjin to help him sit up.

"No! No, please, I'm sorry. I will fix it, I promise."

That was the moment Rayek's call to Benjin came in. All of them stared at each other in anticipation what would happen now. Jonne looked Benjin, begging him silently not to say anything. Everything in Benjin screamed that this was already bad enough and that he should answer the call. But a second time today, he ignored it. Probably because he would have to admit his poor decision if he did.

"Can you fix it?", Benjin asked.

[USS Amalthea - at another part of the ship]

As the triplets were inching forward, the argument about if they would split up or not was on pause. Suddenly, a sound echoed through the corridors, eventually reaching the trio.

"What was that?", George gasped and stopped dead.

"Sounded like a gun shot", Larry stated.

Jacob lifted his chin and looked around. "I think it came from there." He pointed with the barrel of his gun to the passage they had just come from.

"Crap! It came from there!", George countered, pointing at the other corridor.

"I think", Larry said and stepped up between his brothers, "it is time now to split up. Whoever gets the treasure first, gets the hell outta here. The others follow."

The brothers nodded at each other, then parted in different directions.

Verlok #65

[USS Amalthea - Bridge]

In what must have been the delusive analogue for the Amalthea's Command and Control Centre (colloquially called the 'Bridge' despite, in Verlok's estimation of naval parlance, such a nomenclature was misapplied) the Science Office coolly studied the environment, and - as a consequence - the status report from his immediate senior, Lt Moreno, Chief Science Officer.

The situation, it would seem, was grave if not catastrophic. The isophysical constructural misalignment clearly extended all the way to Deck 1, making an immediate solution to dissuade the continuation of the programme inexpedient. Verlok barely took in the dialogue between the others present, instead finding himself once more about the furnace of Vulcan's deserts, the searing heat instilling a sense of febrility, which was as quasi-chimeric as the field-generated reality around his physical form.

There he stood, at the all-too familiar stone altar which formed the base of all his computations, allowing the temperatures to sharpen and distil his conclusions to its most pure form. Certain beneficial additives were unwelcomingly unobtainable, but he put those matters to one side and focused on the problem at hand.

Indeed.

He came out of his reverie, unaware of the perspiration upon his brow, "Captain, Lieutenant - if I may" he cut in, and then continued without a beat, with none of the customary pause or permission to continue. Such concerns of 'politeness' were for those who were enslaved by sensibilities. "Our circumstance currently impedes resolution by virtue of limited functionality due to being locked through a scenario-specific interface. However, this is still a holosimulation, albeit one that is disagreeable, which must give way to the actualities of such technology; what we are seeing is merely a visual simulacrum, supplied by emitters throughout the ship - the Amalthea still exists beyond the force-field-defined confines of the constructs. We are also aided by the otherwise regrettable deactivation of safety protocols but will - in this instance - be a boon for a solution." He looked around, eyes narrowing. "To wit: I propose that applying a force greater than that of a postulated material in an area of our choosing will momentarily satisfy the conditions of the hologram while disabling emitters themselves. Ordinarily, an energetic beam would be preferable, but it will be a forlorn request given the scenerio-specific canon. Therefore..."

He stopped glancing around, and turned his whole body to face a new location. "The Operations console is behind that distant wall, which in reality mere meters from our veridical locale. Care will be necessary to prevent damage to necessary functionality."
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 11:30:03 pm by Rayek tr’Lhoell »
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: Amalthea POTM May 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 10:33:16 pm »
Congratulations to Ora for her post #56 - Breaking Balls which will represent Amalthea for May's Post of the Month.   Good luck for the next round.
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 01:37:19 am »
Congrats, Ora!
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Verlok

• Retired/Deceased
  • "The particles are elementary, Captain."
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 01:51:03 am »
Your accomplishment is agreeable to the highest order.
Disclaimer: The opinions and sentiments expressed in the narrative are solely those of the character and in no way reflects that of the writer.

Mas Molane

• Approved Applicants
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 05:35:36 am »
Congratulations!

Awarded to the player who has written the Post of the Month in March 2021

Rojol Takima

• Approved Applicants
    • View Profile