Author Topic: Stirring up a Hornet's Nest (COMPLETE): BATCHED  (Read 631 times)

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Stirring up a Hornet's Nest (COMPLETE): BATCHED
« on: March 28, 2021, 09:46:01 pm »
Task Group Bravo => Mission Logs & Archives => Katra Station => Holodeck Archives => Topic started by: Rayek trLhoell on November 25, 2019, 05:57:16 am

Title: Stirring up a Hornet's Nest
Post by: Rayek trLhoell on November 25, 2019, 05:57:16 am
NPC Karinne t'Movel        NPC Lared tr'Movel
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay]

The commotion in the Sickbay waiting room could be heard all the way down the hall and throughout most of Sickbay itself.  The fiery argument and seemingly non-stop complaints were interrupted only when paused by a bout of coughing.

"I told you I didn't want to come here.  They know nothing about proper Romulan medicines. And you won't find me ..." cough cough... "taking one iota of their foul Federation concoctions!  Just take me back to that prison cell ..." cough cough... "that you call my room.  I'd have been better off on back on Romulus! At least there they know how to treat Romulan ailments."

Lared regarded his mother wearily. The 97 year old, former Sub-Commander of the Romulan Star Navy, was never happy with anything he did.   Had he left his mother in her room as she claimed she would prefer, with only his wife looking after her, Karinne t'Movel - clan head of what was left of the Movel family - would have complained regardless.  She would had argued what was the use of living in the opulence of the Federation with the disgrace of being called a refugee if she couldn't be treated for her ailments by their grand health care system. 

He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.  At least this way he could rest easy knowing she WAS getting the best of medical care.

"Just have a seat Mother. I will get you registered to see a physician."  Lared placated as he helped his boisterous mother into a waiting room chair.  He avoided looking at the other people waiting in the small room, a bit embarrassed at the unpleasantness of his mother's attitude towards those that had taken them in. 

Once she was seated, he turned to head over to the nurse's desk.  "This chair is hard and uncomfortable!" cough cough "Is this a waiting room or a torture chamber?" 

Lared sighed and attempted a smile towards the nurse.  "Hello... I'd like to have a doctor check over my mother, if possible.  Her name is Karinne t'Movel.  Surname spelled small T, apostrophe, capital M, O, V, E, L.  She's had a slight fever the past day and half and her cough is worsening." he quietly informed the nurse.

Meanwhile the bitter Romulan former Sub-Commander was looking over the other people in the room with an air of arrogance.  Her dark blue eyes glittering angrily and with apparent malice.  "I used to order raids on poorly defended places like this."

Lared's eyes widened, hearing his mother's boast.  While not a lie, it certainly wasn't appropriate information to be sharing.  "Mother! Silence! Are you trying to attract the attention of the station's security?  Do you want to spend your time ailing in the station's brig?  Think of how your words make it harder on your grandchildren before you speak again!" he admonished turning around and offering apologetic looks towards the other waiting patients.

The nurse assessed the situation and rather than calling security, she called the best doctor to handle this situation.  =/\= "Doctor Moreno, I realize you aren't scheduled to see patients currently but do you have a moment to spare to see to one?  We have a disruptive Romulan patient - no not the Commander" =/\= 

The nurse smiled slightly at the humorous idea of the Commander acting that disruptively.  =/\= "I thought perhaps a doctor able to speak at least some of her native language might put her at ease." =/\=

Title: Re: Stirring up a Hornet's Nest
Post by: Tess tLhoell on November 25, 2019, 03:52:44 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - CMO office] (Mid November)

Tess had scheduled herself a week of paperwork. Mere paperwork. She had a lot to catch up. The past few weeks sickbay had been extraordinarily busy and the rest of the time Tess often was distracted by arranging or planning things for her wedding. Plus, lately she had started to feel extremely tired. She assumed the stress - even if it was exciting and positive stress - of planning the wedding and getting everything arranged was getting to her. She wouldn't say she lacked sleep but obviously her body thought otherwise.

So here she was, sitting at the desk behind a pile of PADDs to check, reports to write, files to maintain. It wasn't her favorite part of the job but definitely a part she had to do. So the nurses' call wasn't really unwelcome to distract her from her work.

When she heard there was a disruptive Romulan in sickbay she instantly thought of Rayek, though at the same time she dismissed the notion as nonsense as the nurse assured her of that as well. Tess smiled briefly along with the nurse before her face became a little concerned.  =/\= "Thank you, Relana. I will be with you in second. Moreno out." =/\=

Tess locked her computer before she got up from the desk to leave her office and walk the short way to the reception area. It was easy to see who the persons in question seemed to be - she immediately spotted an elderly Romulan woman sitting in one of the seats and a Romulan male - maybe her son? - standing close to her. Also, almost everyone in the reception area was either glancing subtly or staring openly at the pair.

As Tess entered the reception area, suppressing a yawn, she glanced over to nurse Relana with a subtle questioning look. Relana got up to speak to Tess briefly.

"Mrs. t'Movel and her son came here because she suffers from fever and worsening coughing. Mr. tr'Movel asked for her to see a doctor. However, his mother bragged with some military related rather offending statements. She doesn't seem to really trust us" she concluded.

Tess nodded slowly. "Thank you. I will take care of this."
Bracing herself inwardly for a difficult patient Tess then turned to the Romulan pair with a warm smile. "Jolan'tru, lhhei", she said quietly to the old woman, thinking it might be respectful to greet the older person first, plus knowing that the women were the clan heads and that the older they were the more important they were probably. Along with the greeting she bowed her head slightly for a second. "Taeth 'nhqh 'hh Tess Moreno." Tess' Romulan was far from perfect, but she had been practicing a lot and asked Rayek to speak Romulan to her more often so she would learn it quicker. "I am the doctor. Maenek."
She then turned to the Romulan male who she now knew was the son. "Jolan'tru", she greeted him too.

"The nurse informed me that you would like to see a doctor for your ailment", she prompted cautiously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lhhei - Madam (semi-formal)
Taeth 'nhqh 'hh - My name is
Maenek - doctor

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on November 30, 2019, 05:27:30 am
(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/493172943724085249/649050054908444682/image.png?width=272&height=408) NPC Karinne t'Movel       (http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/misc/picard_romulan.jpg)NPC Lared tr'Movel

Karinne scowled at her spineless fvai of a son after he dared use her grand-children to enforce for her silence.  She hated it here among her enemies.  Though she may not be bound by chains or kept within a prison cell she felt the weight of her imprisonment nonetheless.   Lared and her grand-children - Tordel, Cemee and Jinsux were all the family she had left.  She had tried to order her son to remain in Romulan space but he was swayed far too much by that  ryak'na wife of his.

Her angry thoughts were abruptly cut off when she heard a proper Rihannsu greeting.  She looked up to see one of the Federation doctors smiling to her, as she addressed her.. and not her son like so many here liked to do.   The woman then introduced herself - again in Rihannsu as Tess Moreno... and a doctor.

Karinne's expression darkened to hear her language so butchered by Federation ryak'na.  Then it dawned on her who this woman was, and she laughed a rasping cackle that took most of the air from her lungs.  It was draining to talk afterwards but she forced herself to it.

"Ecimae hwiiy na vang'radam's amton'wi-kha nvaihr."

News of the Romulan Commander's wedding wasn't only talked about by the stations' crew but it was quite common knowledge by it's civilian occupants as well.  There were actually many rumors about the Romulan Commander - most of which made Karinne distrust this place more than if the station had just been overseen by Vulcans alone.  The combination Vulcan Captain and Romulan Commander just made things so much worse.

"Urru Areinnye!" she spat venomously.

Lared gasped in shock at her words. "Mother!" he reprimanded, but Karinne didn't care. 

Suddenly a coughing fit took hold of her.  She coughed and coughed so fiercely it felt as if her ribs would crack.  Her vision began to darkened as she felt the last of her air give out on her.  Finally! The Elements would take her from this vile place!

"Mother? Mother! Please help her!"

She could dimly hear her son pleading with the enemy to save her.  Where had she gone wrong raising him?

~~~~~~~~~
fvai - worm
ryak'na - garbage, trash
Ecimae hwiiy na vang'radam's amton'wi-kha nvaihr - So you are the traitor's promiscuous woman (whore)
Urru Areinnye - Go to Hell

Post by: Tess tLhoell on December 01, 2019, 01:09:15 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess had been hoping that, if addressed in her own mother tongue, the old Romulan woman would be somewhat mollified. Her reactions were a bit contradicting, at first her expression darkened but then the woman broke out in a raspy fit of laughter. Tess wasn't sure why she was laughing, it was possible she mispronounced the Romulan phrase; that would be slightly embarrassing but if it made the woman laugh, it was the better outcome than having her ranting and raving.

Whatever Tess had been bracing herself for when she had approached the woman, what the Romulan female now said hit her like she would have ran against a wall. Tess' Romulan of course wasn't well enough for her to initially understand what the woman said, but the universal translator provided the translation for her. Whore?! She would dare calling her that in the middle of a packed waiting room? Why would she even say that?

Tess struggled to keep her face straight and not give her the satisfaction to see the shock and hurt she felt. And she did feel it. It hit her to the very core and she couldn't remember if she ever felt that embarrassed.
While Tess' mind was working to think of a proper reply, the woman spat for her to go to hell, which made Tess clenching her jaw to compose herself.

That woman was eaten up by her own bitterness.

Her son at least seemed to try and put his mother in her place, but before any of them could come up with a solution to the problem, the Romulan woman broke down from a coughing fit that seemed to drain all air from her lungs.

Tess was instantly at her side to support her and prevent her from sliding off the chair. "Relana, is exam room 1 vacant?", Tess asked, urgency in her voice.

"Yes, Commander", the nurse replied.

"Please help me bringing her to the exam room", Tess said to Lared and helped supporting the woman to bring her into the exam room.

The doors closed behind them and they managed to lay the woman on the bio bed, which immediately on her bio readings. Tess pulled a mask over Karinne's face to provide her with pure oxygen to help her breathe. Then she turned away and prepared a hypo spray with vial that contained oxymetazyline that would help detumescent her airways if there was something that obstructed her breathing.

"Since when is she suffering from the coughing and fever?", Tess asked Lared as she glanced up at the monitor to check especially the readings for the woman's lungs. Being in doctor mode she pushed the bad insults the woman had thrown at her in the back of her mind.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:32:19 pm by Rayek tr’Lhoell »
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: Stirring up a Hornet's Nest
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 09:48:35 pm »
Post by: Rayek trLhoell on December 05, 2019, 05:08:01 pm
(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/493172943724085249/649050054908444682/image.png?width=272&height=408) NPC Karinne t'Movel       (http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/misc/picard_romulan.jpg)NPC Lared tr'Movel

Despite her hopes, Karinne's own body fought her desire to pass on and she remained dimly aware of hands lifting her.   Soon she felt something - a mask?  - cover her face and then the fresh flow of oxygen.  The darkness at the edge of her mind began to recede, just in time to hear her son answer the woman's question.  Like as if a amton'wi-kha nvaihr could be a maenek!. 

"A little over a week.. though it wasn't this bad." her son replied. "So we allowed my mother to talk us out of bringing her in before now, knowing she would just be insulting to the medical staff helping her.   But it began worsening this morning... and I grew worried."  Lared's words sounded strained.  "You will be able to help her, right?"

The clan Movel head, raised a hand weakly to push aside the mask so that she could speak. "I need no assistance..." she insisted before coughing more and nearly blacking out again.  Curse this weakness!

Lared reached out to take hold of his mother's hand, in part to keep her from messing with the mask but mostly to support her.  He wanted her to know he was there if this was to be the end.   He was that concerned.  In all his years, he'd never once seen his mother looking so frail or being so weak.  It was terrifying.   

"Ri'nanov, khoi!" he commanded when she tried to pull her hand away a moment later to attempt to sit up.  "You will let the doctor here treat you!" 

She stopped and turned her head to look towards her son.  That was the first time he'd used such a tone with her since he'd first dragged her unwilling to this backwater enemy outpost.  So he hadn't gone completely soft.  It seemed he did have something of backbone.  That was good.  She smiled under the mask and let herself settle back onto the bed that she'd been placed on.

Now if only Lared could show that same firmness when it came to his wife and children, then Karinne wouldn't have to hear how his eldest was considering on applying to Starfleet!  Next year the girl would be eighteen and she should be preparing to attend the Imperial War College to be assessed and serve her mandatory service.  But no, as a refugee Tordel had no clan or clan status and would either be turned away entirely should she try to return to the Empire for her training or sent instead to the Ground Forces rather than the Star Navy as had been expected being born of Movel clan.

(In Romulan) "You should... use that tone... to correct your children" cough cough.. "...Stop Tordel's ridiculous talk... of joining the enemy fleet." she managed to get out though the effort to speak in her native tongue winded her. 

~~~~~~~
amton'wi-kha nvaihr  - promiscuous woman / whore
maenek - doctor
Ri'nanov, khoi! - Mother, stop!

Post by: Tess tLhoell on December 14, 2019, 10:49:16 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Sation - Deck 22 - Sickbay]

Tess watched the interaction of the elderly Romulan woman and her son with slight concern while she made use of the time and checked the biobed readings to get an idea what might be wrong with the woman. Her initial suspicion proved to be correct when the readings showed infection with staphylococcus bacteria that caused pneumonia. Tess glanced worried to the elderly Romulan. She already knew her prognosis was not good regarding the CRB-65 factor. She was over 65 years old and her respiratory rate was > 30/min. The other two factors didn't apply yet (Confusion and blood pressure) but two of the four factors already diminished the prognosis signifacantly.

Tess' concern increased more when the stubborn woman began to push the mask aside. The Ba'ku woman was about to intervene but Lared took care of it. Though despite that his mother fought being here and tried to sit up what made Lared find clear words for his mother.
Tess was relieved when Karinne finally settled back in the bed - but she didn't stop scolding. Tess suppressed a sigh. She needed to get her to rest.

"Ihhei", Tess spoke up, looking back at the woman. "Your condition is serious." Normally she would try to deliver bad news more considerate and cautious but she thought she had to be direct with the woman. "You suffer from penumonia. It's a bacterial infection. We do have means to treat you. I would like to give you antibiotics and shots of a tri-ox compound in regular intervals. The tri-ox helps oxygenating the blood a bit more. Most importantly is though that you rest and not get all worked up, ihhei" She glanced briefly back to Lared. She knew it was so not him who caused the Romulan woman to go on scolding, but maybe he could help to calm her down.

Turning to the replicator Tess spoke: "Amoxicillin, Ambroxol and tri-ox compound." A moment later three different vials appeared on the output tray. Turning back to Karinne, Tess grabbed an empty hypospray, charged it with the first vial that was the antibiotic agent and returned to the Romulan woman to administer it.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on December 22, 2019, 12:50:39 am

Lared looked to the doctor at her statement of what it was - pneumonia.  He'd heard of it.  But wasn't certain how his mother had become susceptible to it.  But how mattered little at this point.  What mattered was getting his mother well and that meant her taking medication - which he knew she would balk at.

While Karinne fought to regain her breathing, she listened to the woman and managed to keep her scowl as the 'doctor' continued to attempt to manipulate her with the use of the occasional Romulan term.  Did the woman really believe such things would impress her?  Karinne would have found fault in the woman's pronunciation or translation, but as much as the elderly woman hated to admit it, the pronunciation was excellent and each Romulan word or phrase spoken had been appropriate.  The traitor had obviously been seeing to her linguistic education. 

When the doctor began to explain about the medications she wanted to give her, Karinne shook her head and made to wave her off when she approached with the hypospray in hand, but Lared intervened.  "What did I just say to you? Accept the medication.  It will help."  His tone was firm.

Karinne, though distrustful of the doctor and her medication, could see that her son was not going to let her avoid this.  With a huff, the elder Romulan gave a singular nod towards the woman then looked to Lared while she was given the injection.

(In Romulan)""I allow this only because I have to be sure that you won't allow my grandchildren to become traitors." As she spoke a wave of exhaustion made itself know as it became difficult to keep her eyes open.

Lared nodded placatingly noting her struggle.  He'd had this argument many times with her.  "I understand your concern, Mother. Just rest now.  Let the medication fight this infection.  I'll be here with you while you sleep."  Her eyes drifted shut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - 6 hrs later]

With a prescription for antibiotics every six hours for the next 3 days, Karinne realized she'd be spending a lot of time in the company of the female doctor, so as the time came due for her next injection, Karinne had tricked her son into heading to her quarters to fetch her a change of undergarments and clothes.  This way she could speak to the traitor's woman alone.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on December 26, 2019, 08:24:12 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess waited patiently next to Karinne's bed when she still refused to accept the medicine, even after her urgent words. She looked over to the friendly Romulan male, glad he was proving some resistance against his imperious mother.

Of course she couldn't give in without having the last word, explaining that she only did this so her grandchildren wouldn't become traitors. With her 'permission' given, Tess stepped forward and gave her three different shots, switching the vials in quick and routine manner.

Tess looked to Lared, noticing how worried he was. "She will sleep now", she explained to him. "I would like to keep her here for the next three days to see how well she recovers." She offered a sympathetic smile to him. She wanted him to know that there were no hard feelings on her part about his mother's harsh words. "I assure you, she is in good hands."

[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Isolation room - 6 Hours later]

Normally the patients would be transferred to the hospital in sickbay, but Tess was hesitant to confront her other patients that needed inpatient treatment with the venomous Romulan woman. So Tess decided to have her stay in one of the isolation rooms.

When it was time for her medication, Tess was surprised when she found Karinne being alone in the room. She knew that Lared had stayed the whole time with her but hadn't noticed him leaving. For a second Tess dreaded being alone with the woman and the prospect of being confrontated with more insults or anti-Federation paroles.

But she managed to collect herself quickly and even tried to offer a small smile to her patient. "The fever sank, I see", she said after a brief glance on the biobed monitor. Stepping up to her, holding the hypospray and the vials in hand that contained the medication she needed. "Taome hwiiy niaezh?", she asked, as she charged the hypo with the first of the three shots she was going to give Karinne.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taome hwiiy niaezh? - How do you feel?

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on January 04, 2020, 02:09:59 am

Karinne's dark blue eyes focused on the doctor predatorily as the human woman stepped into the room.  For a moment the woman seemed to pause and the former Sub-Commander thought the doctor would turn around and walk out, but that moment passed and instead she was offered a slight seemingly insincere smile. 

She smirked mockingly towards the doctor after the woman stated the obvious, that her fever had broke. But it was the woman's question asked in Romulan that annoyed her the most.  "I speak your Federation tongue much more fluently than you will ever speak Rihanha.  Don't think you impress me with your feeble attempts at it."

Karinne's words were meant to demoralize her enemy.  She considered not answering the question at all but she'd promised her son to let the 'doctor' treat her illness.  "My breathing is easier and my cough has lessened -  if that is what you are trying to ask with your question."

She watched the doctor's activity shrewdly as the hypospray was prepared.  "What medications did you say these were?  What do they do exactly?"

Post by: Tess tLhoell on January 10, 2020, 03:53:51 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Sure enough, Tess' desire to not be alone with her turned out to be justified when the first thing the ill woman did was talking her down. Tess tried to keep her expression neutral and not give the woman the satisfaction of getting the reaction she wanted. Stopping beside her patient's bed without replying anything yet to what Karinne said, Tess listened and then was addressed with a question of the Romulan woman.

"One is an antibiotic, it helps fighting the bacteria that caused the pneumonia in the first place", she answered while she administered the first hypo and continued as she changed the vials. "The other is a drug that is used in the treatment of respiratory diseases like you have. It promotes mucus clearance and eases productive cough so you can breathe more freely and deeply." Saying that she administered that hypo. "It's also analgesic and antiphlogistic. And the tri-ox is simply to improve the oxygen levels of your blood." Saying that Tess administered the last hypo shot.

After a pause of hesitation Tess added. "I have no doubt it's right to call my attempts in speaking Rihannsu 'feeble'. But you should know that I didn't speak your mother tongue because I thought you couldn't master the Federation Standard language. I merely did it because I was hoping it might help you to feel more at ease in my care, welcomed and respected."

Tess looked at her, antipatic another snide remark or the woman laughing at her. Taking a small step to the side, Tess checked the woman's progress on the screen.
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 09:49:35 pm »
Post by: Rayek trLhoell on January 13, 2020, 02:03:48 am
(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/493172943724085249/649050054908444682/image.png?width=272&height=408) NPC Karinne t'Movel       

Karinne watched the 'doctor' suspiciously as one hypo after an other was given.  The descriptions of the medications and what they did were reasonable, so Karinne figured even the human woman couldn't mess that up. 

When the doctor offered up an explanation for why she tried to speak to her in her Romulan mother tongue, Karinne narrowed her eyes.  She was silent a long time before correcting the woman.  "Rihanha."

Anticipating a look of confusion, she explained.  "You said, 'I have no doubt it's right to call my attempts in speaking Rihannsu feeble'.  Your translation of Romulan to Rihanssu is incorrect.  Rihanssu means Romulan yes, but as in people... the word you meant was Rihanha... the language spoken by Rihanssu."

She gave a scoff.  "The traitor isn't teaching you well.. or is it you are learning it on your own to keep his interest in you?"

Post by: Tess tLhoell on January 14, 2020, 04:18:21 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess faltered when Karinne started to correct her including an explanation what had been wrong about her use of the word. Of course a scoff and a snide remark about her fiance followed. It would be to no use stating that Rayek wasn't a traitor. To the Romulans he was exactly that.

"Commander Rayek teaches me well", she explained friendly despite the woman's constant unfriendly behaviour. "It is rather me trying to practice the language whenever I can, but inevitably I will make mistakes. I thank you for correcting me though." She gave a slight respectful bow of her head to the woman like she had seen Rayek doing it once in a while.

Hesitating, Tess looked over to Karinne. "Rayek is going to be my husband. And I want to be familiar with his culture and langauge as his wife." She didn't even know why she told that to Karinne. Likely this would just earn another scoffing comment or even an insult. Maybe it was Tess' hope for the woman to understand why Tess was making the effort to learn the language in the first place.

Having said that Tess walked over to the replicator since she had noticed that her patient had run out of water. Ordering a bottle of water Tess returned to Karinne and put it beside the empty glass on the tray next to her bed. "Is there anything else I can get you?"

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on January 23, 2020, 05:29:33 am
(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/493172943724085249/649050054908444682/image.png?width=272&height=408) NPC Karinne t'Movel       

Karinne gave a snort of derision when the doctor claimed in an ever cheerful tone, that the Commander 'teaches her well'. 

"If he did, you wouldn't need correcting on your translation, nor would you be using the man's personal name outside of close friends and family.  He's taught you quite little of our culture." the old woman admonished even as Tess thanked her for correcting her.   

When Karinne was offered a respectful bow by Tess, the old woman's expression became less stern, though she didn't speak - seemingly trying to puzzle out the doctor's angle. What was the doctor trying to gain by learning to speak Rihanha? Did the human really think the traitor would be impressed by her knowing a few words?

As if in answer to her unspoken question, the doctor offered up an explanation.  Both eyebrows rose in surprise.  So rumor had been true.   The traitor and this woman were engaged.  How was such a thing even possible?

While Karinne struggled with how to rein in her surprise, the woman moved to a replicator and brought her back a bottle of water.   Karinne wordlessly shook her head in answer to the doctor's query if she could get anything else. When she did find her voice it came with more of the same mistrust. "And have you poison my food?  I will wait for my son to bring me something he has scanned.  His wife may not be overly bright but she knows what I am capable of stomaching of your replicated Federation slop.   You can leave now. Your presence is exhausting." 

Karinne then closed her eyes to feign sleep.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on January 25, 2020, 02:14:45 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

When the woman again had nothing for her than derision, Tess struggled to decide how to react. Anger was an option, hurt was an option. She felt both emotions quite strongly right now. Before she could act on either of those emotions, she recollected herself, trying to hide that the woman's behaviour got to her. Instead she made an effort to smile at her. "Thank you for helping me learn about your culture." Surely Karinne didn't intend to do that.

When the Romulan woman expressed her suspicion of Tess poisoning her food she could only look at her in disblief. If I wanted to kill you I would find more subtle means to do that, I'm a doctor after all, she thought to herself. Appartently Mr. tr'Movel's wife had to take a lot of her derision too. When she closed her eyes, muttering that her presence was exhausting Tess had a hard time not to snort. If her presence was exhausting, what was her own presence then?

But Tess refrained from replying anything to that. She had the feeling the elderly Romulan tried to provoke a reaction from her. But Tess didn't want to show that weakness. Later in her quarters she might let some of the frustration out. Poor Rayek.

"I will speak to your son so he can get you something to eat", she said in the friendliest tone she could muster. Then she moved to the door to let the woman rest. The next shot would be given by the night shift before she would see Karinne again in the morning.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on February 09, 2020, 06:43:38 pm
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Isolation room - later that night]

What was supposed to have been Tess' night off with Rayek ended up interrupted when the staff on duty were forced to call her in saying their Romulan patient refused to accept the evenings treatment - demanding that she would only accept treatment by her ... or rather the 'traitor's woman'.

=/\= "Fuller to Dr. Moreno.  Sorry to interrupt your evening off, ma'am.  But we have a situation in sickbay.  The Romulan patient... Movel... is refusing treatment by everyone.  She's demanding it be administered by you.  Do you think you can stop by and give the antibiotics." =/\=

Post by: Tess tLhoell on February 14, 2020, 11:19:28 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Rayek and Tess' quarters]

That evening Tess had been coming home quite frustrated. Over dinner Tess had told Rayek everything that had been going on with the insufferable Karinne and her much friendlier son Lared - the Romulan woman's disdain, insults and derision towards her and Rayek. She told him everything and even a few tears were falling as she lay in Rayek's arms later, being comforted by him, all of the frustration and anger and the need to pull herself together falling off of her.

After she had calmed down a bit she all too happily let Rayek distract her in an utmost physical way. Now, lying on the sofa kissing him and her hands busy to free her fiance from unnecessary pieces of clothing - which were every single one of it - her communicator chirped with an incoming message from Jayce.

Tess stilled as she listened, then her forehead dropped down on Rayek's chest with a soft unwilling groan. She stayed like this for a moment while she tried to wrap her mind around the fact that she had to leave the warmth of Rayek's embrace and instead go down to sickbay and have herself getting insulted again. But she was her patient and there was no way she would leave Karinne without the medication she needed. If not for the fact that she would get rid sooner of that woman the sooner she was well again.

Lifting her head up again she looked down at Rayek, her face showing regret. "I guess I'll have to get that", she said quietly. Reaching behind Rayek's head to the small table there, she tapped her communicator.  =/\= "I'll be with you in a moment. Tess out." =/\=

She sighed and snuggled up to Rayek for a moment longer, then she gave Rayek another kiss before she sat up and slid off of him and off the sofa. Straightening her clothes, smoothing down her hair, she put the comm badge on her chest. "Don't move. I'll be back in a minute." Giving him a smile, she turned around and left their quarters.

Entering sickbay, Tess headed directly for the isolation room the Romulan woman was supposed to get well again. She greeted Jayce and let her update her on anything else she might need to know before she entered the room.

Bracing herself mentally for more mean things Karinne might say, Tess nodded to her. "Good evening, Ihhei." She approached the tray with the medication sitting ready to be used. Tess picked up the loaded hypospray. "My staff is just as qualified as I am to perform such a task", she said, looking briefly to her before lifting the hypospray to the woman's arm to administer it. "I want to ask of you to let them give you the medication next time."
Tess wasn't unfriendly, but tried to make her point clear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ihhei - Madam

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on February 14, 2020, 02:50:19 pm
Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Rayek and Tess' quarters]

It only took a glance at Tess' frustrated expression upon his arrival back at their shared quarters' for Rayek to realize something was amiss.   He immediately wrapped her in an embrace and suggested she share her burden while he got dinner ready.   He settled her on the sofa with a tender kiss and ordered a glass of red wine for her, and a shot of Jamieson rye-whiskey for himself.   Together, they picked out a spicy Italian dish - spaghetti a la puttansesca.

(https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/190130-pasta-puttanesca-horizontal-1549421254.png)

Rayek ordered the meal from the replicator, thinking for the umpteenth time that he should just go ahead with this plans to have a small cooking area installed so that they could try cooking their meals together.   He would never admit it to Miss Judy, but he found the notion of her and her husband sharing such an activity together rather romantic.    He could picture himself and Tess feeding one another, taste testing the ingredients as they cooked, tasting one another afterwards... 

His thoughts on such had to wait however, for now Tess needed his support as he gently inquired as to what had upset her as he set out their meal on the small dining table that had been added to the living area's space when Tess moved in.   Then it came out - during dinner - her tale of being insulted.   Rayek didn't care that the woman considered him a traitor.  By all accounts including his own, he was one.  What upset Rayek was that the woman dared insult Tess!  Called her a whore!  The Romulan wanted to take the elderly woman and break her!  But that wouldn't please Tess, so Rayek tamped down on his anger at the situation and focused on comforting his beloved. 

"Don't pay her words any mind, Tess.  She's a bitter woman who's lost her home and has been forced to abandon the only community she's ever been taught to care about - the Empire.  It'll take time for her to adjust - years... maybe never.   But you shouldn't let her pain and bitterness, hurt you with words you and I both know are untrue." 

After dinner, he cleared away the dishes, poured Tess another glass of wine and sat down behind her so that he could offer her his comfort as she cried.  Damn that, hag, for hurting his Tess!.  He rubbed Tess' back.  Feeling the tightness there,  he pressed his thumbs slowly into the tight knot of muscles in Tess' shoulders - a definite sign that she was very stressed about the woman's hurtful words.   His impromptu massage, led to other tender expressions of his loving care.  A kiss on her neck, a nibble at her earlobe - he could appreciate the Ferengi fascination for such.  Tess' were irresistable.

Tess had turned around and had just begun working on freeing him of his uniform jacket when the call from Sickbay came in.  Tess, of course, was too good of a person to ignore the call.  She bade him not to move.  But that wasn't an option.  The moment she left his sight, Rayek was up and fixing his attire.   He picked up his PADD and called up all information on the Movel family and began reading as he discreetly followed after Tess, keeping out of her sight the entire way to Sickbay.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Karinne was waiting impatiently for the doctor to arrive.  "It's about time you showed up." The woman's words carried a tone of expectation.

When Tess remarked that her staff was just as qualified, Karinne gave a snort of derision.  Tess' request to allow other medical staff to give the medication was met with a look of scorn.  " Why should I allow this?  They have done nothing to earn that trust.  I tolerate you only because of my son has demanded it of me.  But that doesn't apply to all your staff." 

The bedridden woman coughed after her words and looked to Tess haughtily. "You alone will tend to me.  I will accept no one else.  If not, send me back to my 'prison cell' to die - in disgrace among my enemies."

By this time, Rayek made his way into Sickbay shushing the few other staff working the Beta shift with a finger held up to his lips, before their greetings to him could alert Tess to his presence.   He quickly checked the room chart and noted that 'Movel, Karinne' was assigned an isolation room.  Rayek made his way to just outside the room's door and carefully listened in.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on February 16, 2020, 01:59:25 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Isolation room]

The tone and words the Romulan woman spoke made Tess think Karinne thought of her being her personal attentand. Tess glanced to her while she applied the first hypospray and thought that particular Romulan had a thing for drama.

"No one will let you die on this station", Tess replied as calm as she could. The notion was just ridiculous. "If it takes your son's word for you to accept my staff administering medicine to you, I will speak to him first thing tomorrow morning." She wasn't sure if it had been a good idea to tell her that, but Tess' patience with her was starting to thin.

Changing vials routinely Tess leaned over to administer the second of three medications. "How has your breathing been the past six hours?", she asked her, considering to decrease the tri-ox administration. With her free hand she called up the file on the screen beside the bed to check if there had been fever or anything else out of the ordinary since she had last checked on her.

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 09:50:37 pm »
Post by: Rayek trLhoell on February 23, 2020, 04:11:28 am

Karinne was a little surprised the doctor applied the first hypospray before even replying to her statement.  She supposed the doctor was none too happy at being called-in. Well good! She was none to happy about being told she had to remain here under treatment by Federation doctors - no worse... Starfleet doctors!  They could both suffer together!

She grimaced when the doctor calmly threatened that she was going to involve her son again.   The Romulan glared at the doctor while she prepared her next hypo. "No!" she snapped.  "There is no need to involve my son! Lared is too busy to need to bother with this." For a moment, she glanced towards the doorway, having spotted movement of shadows on the floor.  Her eyes narrowed momentarily. 

Because the doctor seemed serious about her threat she tried another tactic.  "I do prefer it to be you, Doctor. You at least make an attempt to be respectful...  If you agree to being my sole medical care-taker then I will... curb my tongue and give you the respect due you as a physician."

Then as if to prove her point she answered the doctor's question without any sass whatsoever.  "It has improved.. unless I am yelling."  She'd discovered that when the androgynous looking medical personnel tried to give her the hypo shots.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on February 29, 2020, 09:43:20 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Administering the hypo, Tess faltered, her gaze shifting to look at Karinne when the Romulan woman snapped at her. Aha. So she didn't want her to involve her son. Should her 'threat' really have been effective?

Tess changed vials once more while Karinne explained why she wanted her to be her sole medical care-taker. Tess had doubts Jayce had been disrespectful to Karinne. Though it probably was something else what the Romulan viewed as being 'respectful' or 'disrespectful'. When Karinne then answered her question like a normal person, Tess struggled to hide how much that surprised her.

She didn't reply immediately, but moved on to administer the third hypo to the woman's arm. She was a doctor and as such she had learned to be thoughtful of her patient's wishes if possible. It probably would cause much less trouble and problems if Tess would just give in to her wishes and see to getting the woman healthy so she could discharge her.

After Tess had taken her time to administer the medicine and take a thorough look at her file, she finally turned to the Romulan woman to reply. "If it is the only way you find yourself being able to accept treatment, I will comply with your wish." She didn't like it. It wasn't that she wouldn't do anything for a patient who really needed her. Oh, she would. But this was just because of the sensitivies of a woman who didn't even want to try to behave like a civilized person. And that Tess had difficulties with. But she tried not to show it. There would be no point in arguing about that anyway.

Putting away the equipment she had used, Tess turned to walk to the door, eager to get back into Rayek's arms. It was late in the evening after all. "Is there anything else you need before I leave?" She wouldn't put it beyond that woman to call her down again once she was back at her quarters.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on March 09, 2020, 03:15:42 am

Karinne kept glancing towards the door as the doctor worked around her.  It wasn't hard to guess who would be wanting to keep a watchful eye on the doctor and yet not be seen. 

As yet the doctor hadn't answered back, and during that time Karinne worried that the doctor would follow through on her threat to involve Lared.  But her fears proved unfounded as the doctor reluctantly agreed to be her sole care-taker.  Karinne nodded, satisfied; eyes glancing towards the floor shadow outside her doorway.  It remained, unmoving.

It seemed somehow unbefitting to gloat at having 'won' that argument so Karinne said nothing as the doctor began putting things away.  She noticed the shadow receding as the doctor approached the door.  The doctor being all too eager to leave her Romulan patient to her isolation. 

When asked if there was anything she needed, Karinne probably should have said no but because their 'listener' obviously didn't want to be found out, just gave Karinne all the more reason to point him out. 

"Right now, no... but when you return next, leave the traitor behind or tell him to quit skulking at my doorway and actually face me."

Post by: Tess tLhoell on March 09, 2020, 04:14:33 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess faltered and looked perplexed at the Romulan woman. It took a moment for her to realize what she meant. She turned her head to look at the door, which was closed.

She knew when Karinne spoke of a 'traitor' she meant Rayek, but Rayek was up in their quarters! ... Or wasn't he? Did he follow her?

Taking a step forward, Tess touched the small plate next to the door to open it - and looked outside to see if it made any sense what the Romulan woman just had said.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on March 18, 2020, 11:28:36 pm

Karinne watched as the doctor moved to the transparent 'glass' sliding door to check in the hall.  The elderly Romulan woman hated the isolation room with it's lack of privacy because of said transparent door.  But when she had complained to the staff earlier accusing them of spying on her, she'd been told that it's transparency was to allow medical staff to maintain a constant patient care with less disruption.  Karinne had grumbled but did find that the hospital staff bringing the meals had been courteous enough to check if she was awake first instead of just walking in.  She knew this because she feigned sleep initially to see what the medical staff might do while she slept.

Karinne found it amusing to watch the human doctor, peeking around the edge of the glass doorway.  Especially when it seemed that their eavesdropper was swift enough to avoid being spotted in the hall. Karinne smirked.

"He was there. You can be assured I am not going senile, nor lying.   I will see you in 6 hours, doctor."    Karinne gave the woman a slight mocking nod, before making a big show of settling to sleep. 

She hoped her prodding would cause trouble for the couple.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on March 26, 2020, 12:39:01 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess frowned slightly when she glanced down the corridor but didn't see anyone. Hearing Karinne speak Tess turned back to the Romulan woman who told her again that Rayek had been there. Before Tess was able to reply anything to that her patient made it clear that the conversation was over for her.

She stood and watched for a moment, feeling the desire to remark something back to the Romulan who once more behaved as if Tess was her servant. But she really was not in the mood for Karinne's attitude so Tess decided to leave it at that.

Without replying anything back, Tess left.

She took a few steps away from the isolation room before she faltered, pondering.

"Computer. Locate Commander Rayek tr'Lhoell."

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on March 26, 2020, 02:02:50 pm
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Tess' computer query was replied to automatically..

Commander Rayek tr'Lhoell is in Sickbay,  the calm female voice announced.

As Rayek bid goodnight to the Nurse on duty in the waiting area,  the Romulan debated whether he should attempt to return to their quarters ahead of her or perhaps make use of this interruption of their usual nightly routine to treat Tess to something special - to make up for having to deal with the unpleasant woman repeatedly. 

Perhaps a early evening walk in the Arboretum?  He nodded to himself.  Yes, he thought Tess would enjoy that.  Decision made, Rayek paused at the doorway to Sickbay to wait for Tess.

As he waited, the doors to Sickbay opened and in walked another Romulan.  Rayek recognized the face of Lared tr'Movel, Tess' patient's son and civilian salvage operator.   Rayek offered the man a slight nod.  "Jolan tru, Mr. tr'Movel.  Here to check in on your mother?" he politely inquired.  "She's quite the handful, I hear."

Lared, who was arriving with some of his wife's cooking for his mother to complain about, looked surprised to be greeted at the door to the hospital by the Romulan First Officer of the station.  That the man knew him by sight was rather daunting and worrisome.

Lared froze for a moment before quickly bowing.  "Yes." he answered - though he realized it might be difficult to know whether he was answering the first question or agreeing with Commander's observation. 

He cleared his throat and offered a proper greeting.  "Jolan tru, Commander.  Yes, she is- particular.  I'm bringing her dinner.  She refuses to eat anything from the replicators."  Lared explained.  He didn't add that his mother thought such Federation foods were poisoned.  It was rather embarrassing.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on March 28, 2020, 04:58:38 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Outside isolation room >>> Waiting area]
Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on March 26, 2020, 02:02:50 pm
Commander Rayek tr'Lhoell is in Sickbay,

Tess froze. So, Rayek was here? Karinne had been right with her observation? Why did he just stay here, lingering at the door and not coming in to stand by her while she tried to deal with that awful woman? Why did he move away when she neared the door? Was everyone playing games with her now?!
The fact that her level of frustration had already been high that day made every tiny bit coming on top of that, even if it had done nothing on normal days, being too much.

She moved down the corridors until she reached the waiting area - only to see Rayek chatting pleasantly with Lared tr'Movel. It must have shown clearly on her face that she was not amused. Approaching the two men, Tess stopped with a curt greeting nod to Lared and then glared at Rayek.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on April 06, 2020, 03:30:57 am
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Waiting Room]

Seeing movement approaching Rayek turned to offer a smile to Tess but she was clearly still upset.  She offered a curt greeting to tr'Movel, which was really unlike her to be so abrupt.  But even more worrisome was the glare she leveled on him!

Clearly they needed to talk but not in so public a place.  Rayek was not happy.  Obviously the elder t'Movel said something to Tess to bring about this abrupt change.  Did the woman know of his past?  Had she outed him on some horrific detail of his past that he'd neglected to share with Tess?   

Concerned but not willing to involve strangers into their private discussion, Rayek forced himself turn back to Lared. "It's good speaking with you Mr. tr'Movel.  We will leave you to your visit.  Jolan'tru"

Lared seeing the obvious anger in the look the doctor gave the Commander, didn't wish to be witness to the upcoming discussion and so quickly agreed.  "Jolan'tru Commander and to you as well Doctor"

Rayek silently watched the man head down the hall to the isolation room.  Rayek then turned to Tess.  They were still in the medical bay waiting room.  No doubt any discussion here would be gossiped about.  Given her glare he had his doubts if she would come with him willingly.  So he didn't give her the option. "It seems we need to talk. Privately.  Walk with me, Commander." he stated before turning on heel and leading the way to out of Sickbay. 

Since he wasn't positive that she would follow, Rayek made sure that she did come along.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on April 09, 2020, 02:08:56 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay Waiting Area >>> Corridor]

Unfortunately for Rayek right now there were many things that were wrong to say, and only very few that were right to say.

He did pick the wrong thing to say.

Tess' face darkened at the commanding tone. She did follow him into the corridor, but she didn't wait until they had returned to their quarters. She needed to get some of the steam out right now, and did it - admittedly - not in the most of objective ways.

"You want me to walk with you? Is it not my turn to seek you now? Or did I get it wrong that we were playing hide and seek here?"

If there was one thing she had learnd growing up in Italy, then it was how to decently quarrel with someone.

"Why did you sneak after me in the first place?", she demanded to know.

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 09:51:24 pm »
Post by: Rayek trLhoell on April 11, 2020, 04:32:24 am
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Corridor outside Sickbay]

Despite the seemingly innocent questioning about playing hide and seek, her tone was very much angry and sarcastic.  He paused in his step to look back at her, confused, not understanding her hide and seek reference and wondering what it had to do with why she was angry at him, until she questioned 'why did he sneak after her'.   Rayek's gaze which had been trying to meet hers perplexed, suddenly slid away in embarrassment.

So she had noticed. 'Or the patient had and ratted him out to Tess', he thought sourly. 
Rayek glanced along the hallway hoping that their conversation wouldn't draw attention.

"I followed you because I was worried about you, Tess."  That answer shouldn't be surprising. "But felt you wouldn't appreciate my overt concern, so I tried to not be noticed. I apologize, but merely speaking about the woman brought you to tears in our quarters.  I wasn't going to stay back in our quarters and allow her to do that again. If the woman had dared speak one word of ill to you, I was going to swoop in and... " rescue was probably not the word to use..  "support you and.. maybe apply a bit of Romulan intimidation on the woman.  But you seemed to have managed her well.  I would even dare say you have earned a bit of her respect."

He took a step back towards her reaching for her hand, his face apologetic.  "I'm sorry if I was being over-protective once more."

Post by: Tess tLhoell on April 18, 2020, 04:44:31 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Corridor]

The frustration Tess felt made her actually ball her hands into fists, her whole body tensing up. Without the insufferable Romulan woman calling her in again she might have used that energy for something more fun. But no - now she was fighting with Rayek.

(https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/f8/df/2ff8df3a82d73f1685be93bbfd387d3e.gif)

At his apologetic explanation Tess let out an angry breath. She kind of understood what he meant but it didn't help her right now.

Lifting her head again she made sure her eyes met his. "If she had dared to speak one word of ill to me? Well, she had! Not this time so much but I have spent my work day with being called a -..." Her own loud voice made her falter. She glanced about just in time to see a young crewman who looked shocked as he turned on his heel and seemingly decided it was better to use another corridor.

Taking a deep breath Tess started anew, this time adjusting the volume of her voice to the situation. "She might not have offended me that bluntly as before but would you have been there, with me ... you would have seen the way she looked at me. The way she spoke to me. I might have handled her well as you say but you didn't see that I struggled to manage it well. I really would have appreciated some actual support in there with her." She sniffed, still caught up in all those emotions that tried to pull her back down.

She now took hold of his offered hand as if it was an attempt to fight that. "I do appreciate your concern. Of course I do. Don't think I don't need you. I do. A lot." Her voice was small now.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on April 21, 2020, 04:34:02 am
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

She didn't take his offered hand.  Not at first.  Instead she balled her hand into fists and radiated tenseness.  It was rare to see Tess so upset. Yet every single time he had, the cause had always been an error in judgement on his part.  And of course here he'd gone and done it again. His explanation having upset her even more.

Hearing her say that she would have preferred for him to have been in the room with her for support was not at all what he had expected.  If he had, they wouldn't be having this discussion.  He was so confused.  One moment he was being told to not be so overprotective of her, and the next when he was at trying to respect that somewhat... he was told he should have been more protective and supportive.  Would he ever get this right?

When she finally took his still offered hand, Rayek used it pull her to him and then enfolded her in his arms.  Passing crewmen be damned.  "I'm sorry I misread the situation so poorly, e'lev" He apologized and placed a kiss on her forehead tenderly.

"I am here for you - anytime you need me." His words were spoken earnestly.  "From what I overheard, you will need to return in 6 hours to administer another round of medication, correct?  I would like to be with you then, if you are okay with that."

Post by: Tess tLhoell on April 29, 2020, 04:20:24 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

His apology made most of the anger she felt dissipating at once. When she then took his hand and he pulled her into a warm loving embrace Tess all but just clung to him, buying her nose in the crook of his neck.

In that moment she realized it wasn't his apology she had needed. Not this fight between them. It was this - genuine caring affection. The Romulan woman had her made all riled up the whole day and she had taken it out on Rayek.

Suddenly she felt rather ashamed.

His offer to come with her when she would have to check in on Karinne next reached her while she still sought his embrace, but looked up at him, saddened.

(https://data.whicdn.com/images/232367443/original.gif)

"Thank you, amore, I ..." She sighed. "I'm sorry, I've been overreacting. My limit for tolerance was stretched beyond what I could handle today." She met his eyes. "Forgive me, please."

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on May 02, 2020, 02:25:47 am
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

The way that Tess clung to him made him realize just how much Tess had been been needing him.  He held her close and stroked his hand soothingly over her hair and at her back where his hand rested.  She met his eyes and apologized for overreacting.  Rayek shook his head in response.  She shouldn't need to apologize.  "You have nothing to apologize for.  I should have offered to come with right from the start rather than sneaking."

He held her there in the hall until she seemed more settled.  "Let's head home and enjoy what we can of the evening."  If his tone was a bit suggestive, it was only because he knew how cathartic make-up sex could be, and Tess seemed like she could use some loving.

[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Tess and Rayek's private quarters - Five and half hours later...]
Rayek groaned and pretended to ignore the chime of his PADD's alarm that he had set hours before.  He didn't want to stop his sated explorations of Tess' relaxed body as it lay next to him.  But the chime wouldn't stop and would actually grow louder with each success chime unless he actually untangled their limbs and he got up from the bed to turn it off.  He'd set it that way, knowing he would be reluctant to listen to it's urgings otherwise.  Tess had that effect on him.  She was very distracting.

chime... Chime... CHIME...

With a sigh and one last kiss to Tess' cheek, where it was tucked in the crook of his neck, Rayek began the unwelcome process of leaving their bed.  "You have time for a quick shower if you like, then we should head down to Sickbay."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Isolation room - around midnight]

Karinne had trouble sleeping.  Not so much because of her cough, which had improved greatly over the past twelve hours since being admitted into the Federation hospital, but because it was unnerving to be surrounded by so many whom she viewed as her enemy.   Well former enemy...   

She knew that the Federation and Starfleet staff here viewed the conflict with the Romulan Empire long over now. Ever since Hobus...  but for Karinne it was hard to let go of the enmity.

An unexpected strong series of coughs had her gasping for her breathe afterwards and grumbling as to where the doctor was with her next round of medications?  She reached for the call button, so to call the nurse and complain but noticed then that at her glass doorway stood the doctor accompanied by the traitor no less.  "It's about time you showed up!" 

His dark eyes stared at her warningly and the former subcommander bristled at the threat she read in those eyes.  When he spoke, he did so in Federation Standard, forcing her to have to translate what he was saying - not that doing so was difficult.  All good officers learned the languages of their enemy to better intercept communications.

"I'm surprised to hear an officer of the Romulan Navy, complain like a child."  Rayek remarked with a slight sneer as he moved further into the room.

"Karinne t'Movel, I am Commander Rayek tr'Lhoell.  Executive officer of this station.  I hear you have some rather strong opinions about me and my choices.  Is this something you care to share with me, to my face?  Or do you limit your badgering to doctors and nurses attempting to help you?"

Post by: Tess tLhoell on May 08, 2020, 08:39:48 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess melted into the long lasting embrace, each new breath she took calmed her down more as she felt Rayek holding her. What would she ever do without him?

When he suggested to head home Tess readily agreed. Spend some time with her loved one alone before she had to return to the woman again sounded just like what she needed. "Let's do that", she agreed with a small smile before walking off with him.

[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Tess and Rayek's private quarters - Five and half hours later...]

Tess lay in Rayek's arms, snuggled at him with their limbs entangled. She felt comfortably relaxed and if there wouldn't be an obligation of hers waiting to be taken care of, she surely would have felt relaxed enough to fall asleep - if Rayek let her ...

She was playing with the pendant of his necklace, making the Romulan glass shimmer in all the different shades of color in the dim light, she heard the alarm Rayek had set going off. She sighed as he groaned. She too didn't want to leave this spot of security and comfort. But she had to.

Feeling his lips on her cheek as he kissed her Tess smiled and reluctantly let him leave the bed. "I think I need one", she replied with a grin in his direction before she got up to head to the bathroom and take a quick shower.

[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Isolation Room - about midnight]

Tess entered with Rayek and Karinne started off with telling them that it was about time they showed up. Tess glanced over to her then to Rayek as he stared at her warningly which apparently made the woman backpedal.

Rayek then went further to dare the woman tell him to his face what she had been telling Tess the past hours while she picked up the hypospray with the vials the nurse had been getting out ready for her. With cautious curiosity she waited what the Romulan woman would choose to do now.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on May 11, 2020, 06:06:01 am
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
and

Rayek kept his gaze fixed on the elderly woman lying on the medical bed, ensuring her attention remained on him rather than Tess, as Tess moved towards the woman to prepare her medications.  Despite the Romulan woman's obvious poor health - he had heard her rattling cough just prior to entering the room - Rayek could see a shrewd intelligence in her eye, especially in the way she paused to assess him before answering.  He had been considering the idea that perhaps the woman was just going senile but no; one glance and Rayek knew that this woman was fully aware of the disruption and aggravation she caused and left in her wake.  She was likely glad of it too. 

When the woman spoke her voice was raspy, "Am I not allowed my opinions or is that part of your precious Federation's Charter of Liberties just rhetoric?"

Rayek smirked and shook his head.  "It is not rhetoric.  You are allowed your opinions.  You are even free to voice them here in the Federation.  That is one of the Federation liberties, which I see you have no issue with, and take full advantage of.... No doubt because you appreciate that when you do so you are unlikely to find yourself or your family suddenly homeless or taken into custody under trumped up charges of sedition, like we both know was the norm in the Empire."

"Having an opinion that would be disruptive, much less speaking it was certainly not something you could have or do freely on Romulus or any of the Empire's colonies.  So please do enjoy the liberties of the Federation, those that have taken you and your family in.  Spout your vitriol of me and of others who are here to serve and protect you while in Federation jurdisdiction, but do not be surprised when our own opinion of you is shared freely with others in turn and soon people begin to avoid your son's and his wife's businesses, forcing them and you to rely fully on the Federation handouts that you would mock and that you so distrust."

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 09:52:22 pm »
Post by: Tess tLhoell on May 17, 2020, 12:00:17 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess administered the first two vials while Karinne and Rayek spoke. Her fiance made a good point with threat she wasn't sure he really would follow through on but Karinne couldn't be sure. While Tess gave her the medicine she met eyes with the fierce Romulan woman. Tess didn't smile, but her face was friendly, hoping it would come across that she wished Karinne would try to find a way to be a less unpleasant person to be around. Butting in to what Rayek had said, Tess added. "You may not realize it but with your behaviour you are provoking the reaction you expected of us all along. And there is a difference between 'having an opinion' and outright insulting another person without reason. Lhhei. All of my medical staff has done everything to accomodate your wishes. Right now I would be off duty normally, but still I'm here. In six hours I would still be off duty, but then I too will be right here at your side. Because I accept and respect your sentiments. It would be nice of you if you could at least feign to do the same." This was more than Tess had told the woman the whole day. But right now she felt less tense and less frustrated and uncomfortable. She was glad she had Rayek. The mere fact that he was here made her feeling less frantic.

Expertedly she changed the vial a third time and administered it too before she turned away a bit to check the patient's file on the nearby console. The coughing had become a bit worse again and Tess adjusted the dosis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lhhei - madam

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on May 22, 2020, 04:05:57 am
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
and

Karinne scoffed when the traitor began his speech about Federation liberties, thinking the dha'rudh was trying to convert her.  However, it didn't take long for the woman to realize his intent.  Of course the wort would use her family against her!  She glared across the room at him.  So incensed was she that she barely noticed the doctor administering her medication until she spoke.

It was obvious the traitor's woman was trying to make her feel guilty for demanding the most competent care.  Well, it wouldn't work.  Not with her.  But... Karinne slid her glance towards the Romulan Fed, imagining all the vile things she'd love to do to the foul traitor for his implied threat but couldn't because of repercussions to her family.  They were all she had left.  Risking retribution against them just so that she might insult a traitor or his woman wasn't worth it. 

"I reserve 'nice' for those I trust - which neither of you are.  You'll just have to settle for not openly aggressive, doctor, and accept that until I am well again, you will have less free time. " Karinne declared.   Though she addressed the doctor, it was the Commander she kept her gaze on; eyeing up the man, assessing if she'd crossed his line between verbal protective and physical.

Rayek met the woman's glare with a cold stare in return.  That she didn't argue back told him that she'd understood his meaning perfectly.  Tess, of course, hoped for more urging for some inkling of respect... but Rayek doubted she would get it.  Not from this one.  The woman was so far set in her ways and the beliefs fed her throughout her life by the Empire, that it was surprising to him that she had even allowed herself be dragged across a quadrant to live among what she would view as her enemies.

One thought earned the woman the barest of his respect.. 'She must truly love her family to uproot herself for them'.

When she answered Tess, Rayek scowled, unhappy that she intended to continue this 'special treatment'.   He wanted to respond back by telling her that she could make do with staff that were already on shift and that he would refuse to let Tess come back again during her time off.  But knew even as he considered saying such, that Tess would not appreciate his making such a her decision for her.  So he held his tongue and looked to Tess in silent question - was that what she wanted?

"That decision is not for you to make, but for the doctor.  And you can be certain if she has to come back during her time off to deal with administering meds that any of her staff are capable of doing, then I'll be returning as well to keep you civil."

Post by: Tess tLhoell on May 30, 2020, 11:21:59 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

In her mind, Tess shook her head about the stubborn and obnoxious woman. She suppressed a sigh. She probably should be happy about the woman not insulting her like she had done initially. And hope that she got well quick. At least she had Rayek on her side, that calmed her down. But she knew that he probably wouldn't be able to come here every single time and Tess didn't want that. It just had been an exhausting day for her. Tomorrow would be a better day.

Putting away the vials she logged the administration of the medication in Karinne's medical file. "I will decide about who will continue your treatment tomorrow", she said earnestly to the Romulan woman, although at that point she had already made up her mind. But she wanted Karinne to believe that Tess took her time to think about it. "Now, I will return to my quarters with my fiance. Good night, lhhei."

She turned around, looking to Rayek, her face soft to signal to him that she was okay with it. Leaving the sickbay, she was looking forward to just cuddle up at him and get some rest.

[The next day ...]

Tess was working in her office when a call came in from Relana at the desk in the waiting area.  =/\= "Commander Moreno, here are some visitors who ask to see Mrs. t'Movel." =/\=

Had she not heard the smile in the nurse's voice, Tess would have thought of something serious. But now she was just curious. =/\= "I'll be there in a moment." =/\=

As she entered the waiting area Tess spotted three Romulans - one teenage girl and what seemed to be her younger siblings. Tess smiled upon seeing them. "Jolan-tru", Tess greeted them friendly.

"Hello, Doctor Moreno", the teenager said, "my name is Tordel, and these are my siblings, Cemee", she gestured to the little girl, "and Jinsux." The little boy smiled at her. "Karinne is our grandmother and we wanted to visit her. If we may?"

"Nice to meet you", Tess replied with a smile. "I'm sure your grandma will be happy about some company."

"Do you want me to bring them to the isolation room?", Relana offered. But Tess declined. "I will do that myself, thank you, Relana."

Leaving the waiting area to the left, Tess walked them down some corridors until she stopped in front of a door that read 'Isolation Room I'. Palming the plate at the door frame the doors slid open and Tess stepped in. She only had been here an hour ago to give the medication to Karinne.

"Here are some visitors for you", Tess announced and then stepped aside to reveal her grandchildren.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on June 02, 2020, 06:17:19 am
(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/493172943724085249/649050054908444682/image.png?width=272&height=408)        (https://i.imgur.com/GU2Kv2z.jpg)       (https://i.imgur.com/8Novh0s.jpg)       (https://i.imgur.com/JMFaZAR.jpg)
NPC's Karinne t'Movel, Tordel t’Movel, Cemee t'Movel, and Jinsux tr'Movel       
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Isolation room(the next day - 1300hrs)

Karinne was in a half-doze, when the sound of the door sliding open startled her alertly awake.  She blamed her inattentiveness to her surroundings on the medications - they made her very drowsy - that was the only explanation for her sleeping in the middle of the day. 

The traitor had returned with the doctor, that morning as threatened and then again just an hour ago.   When the elderly woman quipped that 'didn't he have something better to do with his time?',  the station's Romulan XO calmly answered that spending time with his intended on his breaks was always time well-spent.   That he was besotted with the doctor was easy for Karinne to see.   

When he wasn't glaring at her, he was watching the human woman with a level of attraction that was rather sickening.  She would have mocked that too but it reminded her of how her late husband used to look at her.  Her husband had died over 50 years ago during the Khitomer attack.  The success of that attack helped somewhat to ease her loss.   

Since she wasn't due her next round of medications until dinner time, having the doctor come into the room to risk her bitterness was surprising.  She looked past expecting to see the traitor as well.  The woman's words made little sense - visitors?  Lared had visited earlier today before his work.. and had never been 'announced' by any of the staff.  The human stepped aside and three familiar faces stepped into the room. 

"Mnek kraep'le, aeek'h'i hwiiy thi iudaiht hrrau'khir?  Hwiiy uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n dalaremh hrrau ieiuqh lasasa ?  Fraeta ahefvi hwiiy skeari ehdhihss daeop hvaedroalh urhuilmnuwhea Feds! Aekiraekaelhta' iudaiht hrrau'khir. Htta'nvmniahrei taeth. Kjumnaihsou kivoi hwiiy iudaiht hrrau'khir hwiiy  ru ehsiu, hrhae yhhau ahefvi." (*translation: Good grief, what are you three doing here?  Shouldn't you be busy at your studies?  Don't tell me you are following the lazy example of these Feds!  Come here.  By my bedside.  Since you are here you might as well, greet me properly.)

The two youngest raced to reach her bedside first with Cemee, the middle child, arriving just ahead of her younger brother.  Her eldest granddaughter approached at a walk after giving a nod to the doctor for having guided them to their grandmother.  "Thank you, Doctor."

"Yhhau daisemi'ueiik'h'unhr ri'nanov" "Yhhau daisemi'ueiik'h'unhr ri'nanov" (*translation:  Hello chief mother (aka grandmother)) the younger kids called out in greeting.

"They insisted on seeing you today. Jinsux was certain you were being held here against your will and was planning a rescue mission." the teenager explained in Federation Standard as she came to a stop beside her younger siblings. 

Her words earned a sharp look from Karinne.  "Dochai rihanha!" she reprimanded the teen. (*translation: Speak Rihanha (Romulan))

But Tordel merely shook her head and glanced pointedly towards Tess. "No. Grandma... that would be rude to the doctor."

To which Karinne responded with a scoff.  "Hwiiy dei uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n doing a'e temdekon. Idhaeiiiaekssrai 'hh rihanha." (*translation:  You would be doing her help.  She is learning Romulan)

Post by: Tess tLhoell on June 03, 2020, 04:07:43 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Moreno
and
(https://i.imgur.com/GU2Kv2z.jpg)       (https://i.imgur.com/8Novh0s.jpg)       (https://i.imgur.com/JMFaZAR.jpg)
NPC's Tordel t’Movel, Cemee t'Movel, and Jinsux tr'Movel       

Tess had expected another snide remark from the Romulan woman, but apparently seeing her grandchildren made Karinne forget about that for at least a moment. She might not admit it in front of her but Tess could see that she loved her grandchildren. It didn't surprise her that Karinne spoke Romulan only to them, the UT translating simultaneously in her ear. However, she smiled at Tordel when she spoke to her in a language she could understand without the help of the UT.

"Thank you for your thoughtfulness", Tess smiled at the Romulan teen. She then crouched down to be on eye-level with little Jinsux, the smile not wavering one bit. "I promise you, I take good care of your hri'nanov."

The little Romulan boy looked at her with the same suspicion in her eyes that she'd seen in Karinne's. At least to Tess it seemed that way. She probably had a strong influence on her grandson.

"Siaeqh 'hh idhaeiiiaekssrai iebhe ayrh, aeol''ud?", Jinsux asked boldly and in Romulan although Tess was convinced that he was able to speak FS. (*Why is she not better yet, then?)

"Because she needs time to heal properly", Tess explained calmly. She then straightened up and looked around one. "I will leave you to your grandma now. If she gets tired though, you should let her sleep", she advised with a smile and then left the room.

Cemee turned to her grandmother, reaching her hands out to feel for hers. "How are you grandma? Did you get bored badly?"

They'd all speak Romulan now that they didn't have to consider someone else.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on June 07, 2020, 04:18:57 am
(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/493172943724085249/649050054908444682/image.png?width=272&height=408)        (https://i.imgur.com/GU2Kv2z.jpg)       (https://i.imgur.com/8Novh0s.jpg)       (https://i.imgur.com/JMFaZAR.jpg)

Karinne watched Tess a little sourly as the woman crouched to speak to her treasured grandson.   His words to the doctor made her lips twitch up into a slight smile. 

But the doctor didn't falter in the least.  Karinne was glad when the woman opted to leave giving her the opportunity to spend time with her grandchildren without having to expose them to more Federation presence.

At Cemee's question, Karinne took hold of her youngest granddaughter's hand.  "Yes, it is terribly dull here. And you notice that they have separated me from the other hospital patients even though I am not contagious? This is what the Federation will always do to us. Shut us away or send us off to the far corner of the galaxy.  Remember this..." she informed the new generation of Romulans raspingly.  Tordel walked to the other side of the bed to pour her grandmother a glass of water from a pitcher on the bedside table, for her grandmothers voice sounded weaker than Tordel had ever heard it.

Tordel, who was old enough to remember a bit of the old Empire and the chaos after the loss of the Homeworld, thought her grandmother was stuck in the past and needed to see how much better things were here.  She'd been forced to grow up fast in the aftermath of Hobus... helping her grandmother with looking after her newborn sister while her parents struggled to protect and feed them. 

The only reason why Grandma Karinne hadn't died when Hobus went Nova like the rest of the family was that she had traveled to the border colony where her illegitimate son and his wife worked and were expecting a second child, in order to do the H’dl Aefvadh (*translation: Baby Welcome).  It was something that Grandma was often bitter about, that she hadn't been with her proper family when they died.  It hurt Tordel to believe that her Grandmother would have preferred to die with that side of the family, than live here with this one. 

Perhaps that was why over the past year, she'd really taken to the very thing her Grandmother hated.  The Federation was so much better than anything she had experienced in the Empire or what was left of it after Hobus. The skirmishes for dominance by various Romulan groups had destroyed most of what they were fighting for.  But every place they traveled past on their way here... had seemed so peaceful.

The station with its small community of other Romulans and the curiosity of the other children  had been so welcoming. Admittedly it wasn't perfect but Tordel felt safe here... even after the Dosi attack.  She and her siblings had been picked up by their mother who with their grandmother had taken shelter in one stations many protected areas.  There she saw Starfleet officers fight with bladed weapons to protect them against the Dosi.  Now a year later, she put in her application to join Starfleet.  This was her way of following her mnhei'sahe - repaying her debt to those that took her family in and protected them.  She would have been expected to serve 5 years in the Star Navy had she remained.  She would now give those 5 years.. maybe more to the Federation.. to Starfleet.

While Tordel mused on these thoughts, Jinsux had returned to his grandmother's bedside but wasn't content to merely stand there.  "Move over hri'nanov" he demanded cutely.  He was a cuddle-bug always preferring to be close by his grandmother's side while she sat on the sofa or while she read to him in bed.   So it wasn't surprising that he now climbed up on the bed to join her.  Or at least he tried to.

Seeing her grandson struggling with the added height of the medical bed, Karinne reached out a hand to him which he grabbed hold of pulling himself up and placing foot on a bed rail only to have his foot slip.  The elder Romulan tried to pull him up but her sharp and worried intake of breath at his sudden slip started a coughing fit and her hand holding him was too weak to drag him to her.. instead he fell backwards to the floor striking his head hard. 

Cemee screamed at seeing her little brother fall.  Jinsux began crying at the pain of having hit his head.  Grandma Karinne was trying to fight back a coughing fit and breathe all while Tordel watched from the other side of the bed unable to do anything.  "Jinsux - Don't Move!" she called to her brother and reached over her Grandmother to hit the call button on her bed.

~~~~

At the Nurse's Station, the nurse on duty sighed at seeing the call light go on for the Movel room.   She was about to head there to check on what the woman wanted when she spotted Tess walking along the corridor having just brought a trio of children to the room.   "Oh Dr. Moreno... sorry to bother. Mrs. Movel's call light just came on.. Since she's more than likely going to ask for you anyways... Would you mind checking in on her and seeing what she wants?"

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 09:53:04 pm »
Post by: Tess tLhoell on June 08, 2020, 04:09:29 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Corridor >>> Isolation room]

Tess was just about to head back into her office when Relana spoke to her. Hearing that the call light had came on, Tess suppressed to roll her eyes. She probably shouldn't assume bad things, but she couldn't help but think that the Romulan woman was just trying to annoy her more. Nodding to Relana, Tess turned on her heels. "I will take care of it, thank you, Relana", she said and walked back to the isolation room she had left just a moment ago.

The moment she walked back into the room she knew that this had not been an unecessary call. Little Jinsux was crying, clutching the back of his head. Cemee looked like she was on the verge of tears as well at seeing her little brother so upset while Tordel was crouched down beside him.

"What happened?", Tess asked as she rushed over to the little boy.

"He fell off the bed and hit the floor", Tordel told her worried while she tried to calm down her sister.

Tess grabbed a medical kit and knelt down beside the crying Jinsux. "It's alright, you're going to be okay", she spoke calmly to the little boy. As she gently touched his arm to make him move his hand away from his head where he hit it, she saw a little bit of green blood at his fingers.

Tess was slightly alarmed but didn't let it show on her face. "Hey, Jinsux", she smiled at the boy while she grabbed a paper towel from the medkit. "How old are you again?" While she asked him that she took hold of his hand and with a subtle movement wiped the bit of blood from his fingers so the boy wouldn't freak out. She asked him the question not only to distract him but also to see if he was clear or if there was a hint of a concussion. "Hm?", she smiled when there wasn't immediately an answer, but Jinsux' cries subsided slightly. "How old are you?"

"A-almost six", the boy sniffed and looked up to his grandma with teary eyes. "Almost six", Tess echoed 'impressed' by the young man's age while she carefully lifted him up to make him sit at the end of Karinne's bed. "What a handsome you man you are! And when will you turn six?", she continued asking to keep him busy. In the meantime she quickly scanned him with a tricorder to check for any early hints of a concussion. She then turned slightly so she could take a look at the wound at the back of the boys head and start to treat it. While doing that she glanced to Karinne and Tordel. "We probably should inform his parents?", she suggested quietly.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on June 09, 2020, 02:17:19 pm

Karinne struggled to sit up more to leave her bed and see to her grandson, when Tordel looked at her with a shake of her head.  "I've called for the nurse, someone will be here shortly, hri'nanov.  Just stay there."  (*translation: Grandmother)

Karinne would have argued but she could do little more than focus on breathing at the moment.  She watched her teenage granddaughter take control of the situation and leave the bedside to crouch down beside her brother keeping him still.  The girl would have made a fine Star Navy officer.  Quick-thinking and calm even during a crisis.

As Tordel had predicted, the door to her private room opened at Dr. Moreno entered.  It didn't take long for the woman's expression to change from forced patience to professional trauma doctor.  Karinne used the automatic lift system on her medical bed to raise her head so that she could see how the woman treated her grandson.  The elder Romulan was impressed with how smoothly and compassionately she dealt with the boy. 

The woman even knew to avoid Jinsux seeing his own blood.  That would have restarted the wailing once more.  The boy for all his excitable energy had no tolerance for the sight of blood.

When the doctor suggested that the parents should be contacted, Karinne knew the doctor was right but dreaded the idea of having to tell Lared and Phara that the boy had been injured because she couldn't pull him up.  They already considered her more of a problem and liability rather than a valued member of the family.   She was aware, when Lared and Phara had discussed seeking refugee status in the Federation, that there had been heated arguments between the couple about bringing her along.  She had tried to sway her son to remain... but the increasing unrest and skirmishes between the factions had finally been too much. 

Yet much as Karinne complained and commented about having preferred to stay in the Empire... that wasn't entirely true.  She had nothing to stay for - all her other children and grandchildren were dead, taken that fateful day when Hobus went nova.  What was left of her family was here.  Now to have her son lose any more faith in her ability to look after them because of this incident, especially after how poorly she protected them during the Dosi attack...  well it gave her pause.

A pause that Tordel was quick to fill in with a near-desperate plea.  "No! You can't. Please.  Our parents don't know I've brought them here.  In fact they specifically told me that visiting would have to wait until Father got home." 

The teenager glanced to her Grandmother not wanting to say that her parents didn't trust her not to be a poor role-model and therefore had to be present to negate her negative influence somewhat.   But the hardening of her grandmother's expression told Tordel that the elder woman could read between words and the orders of her parents.

Tordel looked back to the doctor.  "Please, if my father hears that I disobeyed... I know he'll say it's proof that I'm not ready to attend the Academy and I'll have to wait another year before applying."

Cemee and Jinsux looked between one another - tears now stopped - then glanced to their older sister before turning their cherub faces to Tess. "Please!" "Please!"

Karinne was torn. Tordel was correct if Lared did find out, that could be a way to keep her eldest surviving granddaughter from making the worst mistake of her life.  But Karinne recognized that this was something that Tordel truly wanted.   She'd seen the effort the girl put into her studies this past year to be sure she would have the grades and Federation equivalent knowledge to pass the entrance exam. 

"Yes, please.  If we can keep this between ourselves, that would be best for all.  I would be in your debt, doctor."

Post by: Tess tLhoell on June 10, 2020, 08:30:12 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Isolation Room]

Tess had not expected that desperation when she had suggested informing Lared and Phara. Actually it was standard procedure. She paused in her treatment of Jinsux briefly as she glanced over at Tordel as she explained why she didn't want her parents to know. It did make sense to Tess and she couldn't help but feel sympathy for the teenager. When Cemee and Jinsux joined in on the pleading with their angel faces Tess was already swayed. The fact that Karinne .... (!) pleaded her as well to keep silent about this astounded Tess.

She didn't reply right away as her mind was busy with processing that Karinne really loved her grandchilren that she would not jump on that opportunity to keep Tordel from joining the Academy. After she had given Jinsux something to numb the feeling from the injured spot a little bit and cleaned the wound she grabbed the dermal regenerator to close the wound. "Well", Tess began, allowing to show a hint of what her answer would be on her face, "I guess since you are with a relative and since it could be treated quickly, I think we can keep this here and not have to take it out to anybody else." She then looked to Tordel. "You have to promise me though that you keep an eye on him the next 24 hours. Right now I don't see a problem, but if he starts to feel sick or behave strangely, you have to tell your parents, and more importantly, you have to bring him back here so I can see what's wrong, alright?"

She then finished up treating Jinsux and held her hand up to the five year old so he could give her a 'high five'. "Well done, Jinsux!", she grinned at him, hoping to make him smile. "You are okay now."

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on June 14, 2020, 05:32:55 am

It was aggravating to Karinne - to have made such a plea on her granddaughter's behalf and  not have it accepted immediately.  Mind you neither was it dismissed out of hand.  It seemed the doctor was taking her time in making a decision, and until then she and the children would just have to wait as she fixed up Jinsux. 

Tordel had been waiting on pins and needles for the doctor's response and when it came, she sighed in relief.   "Thank you, Doctor! And thank you, Hri'nanov for also agreeing." She wanted to point out .. 'see Starfleet people can be really helpful' but she didn't want to risk her Grandmother getting upset and changing her mind.

When the doctor turned to her with instructions to watch Jinsux carefully for the next 24 hours, she nodded emphatically.  "I promise I will." Though how to do it when usually she and her younger siblings rarely were interested in the same things so 'keeping' an eye out on Jinsux could get noticed.   She watched Jinsux grin and 'high five the Doctor.  That's when she had an idea. 

"Jinsux, Cemee. How about we build a fort out of blankets in my room and we three have a camp out there.  That way it'll be easy to keep an eye on you..." she noticed that Jinsux frowned at this notion... so quickly added in the lure.  "And if you show Mother and Father that you are capable of sleeping away from your rooms without a fuss now... then they might be open to your idea of going camping on Meridian."

"Oh I like the idea of camping!" "I like the fort idea."

Tordel smiled. This could work.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on June 17, 2020, 08:57:24 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess smiled at the happy responses her agreement caused. While she put away the things she had used from the medkit, she listened to Tordel's suggestion to her younger siblings, no doubt to make it possible and attractive for the younger brohter and sister to have her big sister stick around.

Turning back, she smiled at Jinsux who still sat at the end of the bed where his grandmother Karinne was supposed to recover from her affliction. "No cavorting in here, alright. We don't want this to happen again", she smiled at the little Romulan boy. Pausing briefly, she glanced about, her gaze lingering on the old Romulan woman a little longer. "Alright, I will leave your grandchildren to you now." Offering another smile, Tess turned around to leave the isolation room.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on June 20, 2020, 04:45:11 am

Jinsux nodded solemnly at the doctor's words before answering equally serious.  "I will be more careful."  He said the words in response to the doctor but the young boy looked towards his grandmother obviously promising her the same.

To which Karinne nodded.   As Tess turned about, the elder woman's voice spoke up. 
"Thank you doctor.  For both your medical skill and your silence."  She didn't repeat her debt owed.. that was not something that needed to be spoken of in front of the children.  She could deal with that a little later.

After Tess left, the children stayed for about an hour before their grandmother despite fighting it, nodded off to sleep clearly exhausted after a mostly sleepless night.  The children left shortly after that and called out their goodbyes to Tess and the other medical staff.

Karinne slept straight through until just before dinner time when her son alone came to visit with food prepared by Phara.   She was disappointed that she had fallen asleep while the kids were still present and hoped they had made it back to their residence safely.  And even more disappointed that Lared hadn't thought to bring the children to see her.  This made their visit earlier all the more special.   Also disappointing was that he didn't stay long,  remarking on some important work that he needed to get back to.

So it was at 6 pm when she was due her next round of medication, Karinne was stilling up in her bed alone, eating a simple homemade stew.   She wondered if the Commander would be joining his wife... or if the Doctor would renege on her promise to administer the meds, now that she was owed a debt.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on June 30, 2020, 03:31:49 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

The Romulan woman's words had echoed in Tess' head for the rest of the day. She had the feeling that there was more Karinne wanted or meant to say than the obvious but Tess wasn't able to figure out what it was.

When the time came for Karinne's next round of medication Tess found herself still being in sickbay. It had been a busy day and work had not been done yet. She quickly messaged Rayek that she'd be late today and assured him she'd be able to deal with Karinne fine today.

A couple of minutes past six Tess walked into the isolation room. She saw Karinne sitting in the bed and eating food her son Lared had brought before. "Enjoy your meal", Tess said politely before she walked to the computer to take a look at the latest readings. The oxygen saturation in her blood was stable by now and there were almost no inflammatory markers in her blood anymore. It seemed the woman would be fine again soon.

Turning to the tray with the medication Tess didn't speak at all like she normally would do with her patients, have a nice and friendly chat with them. But with Karinne it was different and Tess had ceased to do that with her and kept the communication to professional topics only.

"Your readings have improved. I would like to keep you here for one more night and then we can see about discharging you tomorrow", she informed her as she gave her the first of the three hypospray shots.

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 09:53:48 pm »
Post by: Rayek trLhoell on July 18, 2020, 04:39:31 am
(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/493172943724085249/649050054908444682/image.png?width=272&height=408)       
NPC Karinne t'Movel     
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Isolation room(the next day - 1800hrs)

Karinne was a bit surprised that doctor arrived alone - without the Romulan Commander to oversee their exchange.  The elderly woman peered out into the hallway, but she could see no telltale shadow that might indicate he was standing out side the door.  Good.  That would give her opportunity to speak with the woman alone.

After seeing how the doctor was with her grandchildren earlier, warm and smiling, this professional aloofness was starkly noticeable.  Karinne supposed she had earned that with her demanding and suspicious personality.  But how was she to know that there were some genuinely caring individuals among Starfleet and the Federation?

Despite the doctor's suggestion that she continue to enjoy her meal, Karinne set it aside for the moment, watching the doctor prep the medication that would help her.   Ever since this afternoon, the elder Romulan was strongly aware of being indebted to Tess - not so much for her aid earlier - but for her silence.   

Being a Federation doctor, it was expected that Lt Cmdr Moreno would offer aid - it was a well established stereotype that Federation doctors help everyone, friend and foe alike.   Karinne herself was proof of that.   However, the doctor's willingness to keep silent about the earlier incident was surprising.  Karinne was quite cognizant of the rules of reporting.  The doctor did have an obligation to inform the parents - that she hadn't was remarkable and it was for this Karinne felt indebted.

It was an unpleasant irritation in the back of her mind that she couldn't ignore - not if she were to have her mnhei'sahe be clear.

Karinne glanced up towards the doctor's face as the woman administered to her the first of a series of three shots.  The news that her stats were improving was good but that the doctor wanted to keep her yet another night for observation - not so much.

"You must be looking forward to my discharge - when I am no longer  disrupting you and your staff." It was a valid observation.  "Don't try to deny it.  You've been truthful with me so far... I'd rather you continue so."

Karinne kept watching the doctor's face.  "I don't make apologies often - much less to a Starfleet officer.  However, I was wrong about you and your intentions yesterday.  You assisted my grandson earlier today with no hesitation and with your silence you continue to assist my granddaughter.   These are not things I take lightly.  So I apologize for my earlier insults."

Karinne bowed her head towards Tess for a long moment.   When she looked up again she continued "Yet even this apology does not clear me of the debt owed you.  You say you are learning Romulan culture.. then you should learn the term mnhei'sahe and what it truly means.  Mine will not be clear until I can repay you in some significant way.  Please think on this seriously and when you have an answer - do let me know."

Post by: Tess tLhoell on July 23, 2020, 04:27:34 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

When Karinne commented on how she thought Tess would be relieved when she was finally discharged, Tess glanced over to the elderly woman assessingly while she continued with her work. Tess wasn't sure why she said that, but from what she had seen from her, it was another attempt to provoke her ... now that she had refrained from bringing Rayek along. Did she really had to bother her fiance with this so the Romulan woman was at least trying to be civil?

Karinne's apology that followed that took Tess completely by surprise and she interrupted her treatment to stare at Karinne astonished. Before she found her ability to speak again Karinne continued to offer her help in return to the things Tess had done for her, or rather her grandchildren. She knew the Romulan term Karinne used, Rayek had explained it to her at some point. The UT usually translated it simply as 'honor' but there was a much deeper meaning to it. And with that Tess knew, to deny the woman the chance to clear her mnhei'sahe would be disastrous for the delicate bond that started to form between them here.

Tess took a moment to take in what Karinne just had said, finishing her treatment while she did so. Eventually Tess looked to Karinne and said, "I accept your apology. I belive it is genuine. Thank you."

She bit her lip as she thought about what she possibly could ask from the Romulan woman. There was one thing that immediately popped up in her mind. Something she had been thinking about for a long while already but had come to the realization that it was almost impossible for her to do anything about it without help. This now was like the answer to her hopes. It was risky. The topic was sensitive and it required a tremendous amount of trust. But Tess, being impulsive sometimes, gave in to her gut feeling. She feared it might be her only chance to ever get to know about the thing she had been thinking about.

"Actually ... there is something you can do for me." She looked into Karinne's eyes, seeking the genuineness she thought she had heard in the woman's words. Tess grabbed one of the stools and pulled it over so she could sit down next to Karinne's bed. A moment of silence passed while Tess gathered her thoughts. "There is something I need to find out and I realize you might have the knowledge and contacts to do so. Easier than me, obviously. Could you get me into contact with someone who could find out about an inmate of one of the Romulan penal colonies?" Tess paused a moment to think of the name of it. "Faicol-lhui."

Tess looked at Karinne with anticipation.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on July 27, 2020, 12:27:29 am
(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/493172943724085249/649050054908444682/image.png?width=272&height=408)       
NPC Karinne t'Movel     

That it took the doctor several minutes to finally accept her apology gave Karinne some hope that the woman who claimed to be learning Rihansu culture might actually understand the importance of clearing her mnhei'sahe. 

Yet her hope seemed misplaced when despite her advice to think on it seriously, the doctor claimed to have thought of something already.  The elder Romulan gave the human woman a skeptical look and was going to stress again her instruction.  But then the doctor spoke her request.   The doctor wanted to know the fate of an inmate from Faicol-lhui?   

Karinne stared at the doctor in surprise - this obviously had some connection to her husband.   "That's an interesting request.   Who are you looking to find out about?" She asked watching Tess keenly.

"Obviously, my access to the Empire is limited currently, and given our location communications to those I might know will take time .. if they even deign to answer at all... but very well, I will look into it."

Post by: Tess tLhoell on August 07, 2020, 11:59:25 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

The Romulan woman's dislike of her quick decision was not lost on Tess. However, she looked confidently back at her. She was absolutely sure that nothing else would have come to her mind even if she had taken more time to think about it. She was certain this was the thing she wanted to ask of Karinne t'Movel.

Of course the woman wanted to know who she was inquiring about. She likely had already drawn the connection to Rayek, but Tess did her best not to give any indications about whether she was right with that or not. "I'm sorry, lhhei. This is not something I can speak of right now."

When Karinne agreed to accept Tess' request, she tried to not destroy the rather solemn atmosphere that had developed during the talk of Romulan honor. But Tess was grateful and happy to have found a way to investigate on it. "Khnai'ru rhissiuy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lhhei - Ma'am
Khnai'ru rhissiuy - Thank you (courteous)

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on August 08, 2020, 04:26:40 pm
NPC Karinne t'Movel     

As expected, the doctor claimed she could not speak of right now.  This merely solidified her certainty that this was in regards to the woman's husband.  "Very well, my debt to you will be considered clear when I provide you with an introduction to someone who will be able to provide you the information you seek.  It will be up to you to convince them to answer your questions.  Agreed?"

Once the arrangement had been agreed to, Karinne decided she needed a bit more information.  "Do you know roughly when this individual was at Faicol-lhui?"  To her knowledge the facility had been run for close to 100 years.  Of course, she suspected the individual was someone recently incarcerated... likely during Hobus.. but she would need confirmation of that.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on August 15, 2020, 06:23:26 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

At the woman's question, Tess hesitated. Maybe she should have taken more time to think this through properly so she could have had a thought on what she would tell Karinne and what not. But once again in comparison to her fiance who would never go into such a situation unprepared, Tess was different and just went with it.

That Tess couldn't tell Karinne that the man she was inquiring about was Rayek's father and the former Proconsul of Romulus was not something she had to think hard about. But her second question should be safe to be told. Tess took a moment to think. She knew that the Hobus event had been 10 years ago, though she wans't sure when Talen had been incarcerated. She'd have to give her only a rough estimate.

"I'm not exactly sure. But it likely has been 12 to 15 years ago."

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on August 23, 2020, 04:58:47 am
NPC Karinne t'Movel     

Karinne nodded at this information from the doctor.   "Excellent.  Recent enough that those that would have been in charge of the facility might still be alive.   Very well, leave it to me.  I will track down an individual that can possibly answer your question.  Is there anything else I should know?  Or any other condition you wish to place on this debt repayment?"

Karinne could have not bothered asking, and gotten away with a clear mnhei'sahe but such trickery didn't sit well with her.  She preferred straight forward dealings.

Post by: Tess tLhoell on September 10, 2020, 10:31:25 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Tess nodded when Karinne said she would track down a person who would know what they needed to know. When asked if there was anything else she might need to know, Tess looked at her hesitantly while she thought about it. It was tricky with her having to carefully select the information she could give Karinne.
While she thought about this, the question she added distracted her. It reminded Tess that the Romulan woman's willingness to help was just because she needed to clean her mnhei'sahe and not because the two women suddenly got along well.

"I can't think of anything that might be of importance at this moment. But please feel free to ask me if there is something you might need to know. And regarding your last question, no. With what you are willing to do for me, you are doing me a great favor and I wouldn't dare to ask even more." Briefly she had thought about asking for more tolerance, but it probably wasn't something to ask of someone like Karinne.

Post by: Rayek trLhoell on September 30, 2020, 05:48:37 pm
NPC Karinne t'Movel     
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Isolation room](the next day - 1800hrs)

That the doctor didn't abuse this debt owed her, impressed the Romulan woman.  Karinne knew that there were many who would have greedily asked for far more - especially after how rudely Karinne had behaved towards the woman.  But doctor hadn't asked for something outrageous. Instead the request was rather simple.. yet meaningful to the woman.   

Of course, Karinne didn't like that it would necessitate her contacting those acquaintances still remaining in the Empire - acknowledging to them that she had left with her son and his family to this wretched place among the Feds.  She had worries that her former rank might make her and her family a target for retribution by the new government.  But being in the Gamma Quadrant with the only access from Romulan territories being through the Bajoran controlled wormhole - helped ease her mind some. 

She regarded the doctor, wondering if she should explain some of the risks involved with what she was asking, but figured if she did so the woman might change her mind and ask for something else that would not satisfy the level of mnhei'sahe that was needed.

"Very well.   If there is nothing more.  I will ask that you leave so that I can finish my meal without further interruption."  Karinne spoke, her tone edging towards familiar levels of condescension. 

"Oh by the way, Doctor.  You no longer need to oversee the administering of my medications.  I know what they are now and how they will affect... I will permit one of your juniors to give the hypospray from now on. Besides which I will be released soon, so you will no longer need to trouble yourself for much longer.  Though if you do feel inclined to do so; leave your husband at home.  His presence is far more irritating than yours."

Post by: Tess tLhoell on October 05, 2020, 11:23:10 am
Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Karinne's attitude towards her became more condescending again, and Tess for some reason had to suppress a small smile. It was strange to have someone's behaviour change so quickly, it was like Karinne wanted to feel that way towards Tess.

Tess nodded and turned to leave, but Karinne held her back once more. Turning around she looked at the elderly Romulan while she told her that administering the medication could be done by a junior now. At least that was something! Tess smiled and was about to nod her head when Karinne chose to make another comment about Rayek. But what she noticed even more was that Karinne talked about Rayek as her husband. Tess wondered if an engagement was seen as obligatory as an actual wedding, but she refrained from asking her now. She would ask Rayek about it later.

Eventually, a smile showed on Tess' face and she nodded her head. "I might consider it if I ever feel like bringing him here again." She thought she needed to leave with a word against the negative woman. "I am still there for you if you should need me." With another respectful nod of her head, Tess turned around and left.

The first step was done to something that would mean something to Rayek, she hoped. What her poking the hornet's nest would actuate was beyond her imagination yet.