Author Topic: Terra Incognita - Season 1 - Episode 1  (Read 25703 times)

John Saxon

• Reserved Player
  • Competent Member
  • John Saxon's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: Terra Incognita - Season 1 - Episode 1
« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2021, 03:51:28 am »
<Central core of the Alien Wreck>

No one had commented or shown any sign that it was registered what Juraan had found on tricorder. Maybe he shouldn't have thought that there was any contribution exptected of him. Though he wondered why he had gotten the tricorder then.

When Saxon told him to step back from the creature, Juraan did so, but not without clarifying something. "It's Juraan, if you don't mind. And of course, Commander."

He then stood and waited to see what would happen.[/size]

As the teams began their tasks John looked up, from inspecting coiling conduits on the floor, to Juraan's comment. His expression conveyed, with his bushy eyebrows, a silent reply of "it hardly matters right now". John was getting more and more irked at the Bajoran's put-upon attitude. It was a personality that, perhaps, may have taken itself to... extremes some years ago. Not for the first time, but certainly for sure this time, Saxon made a note to look up what records were held of one Juraan Ren.

Beja stepped away from the majestic creature, and turned her attention to the Commander and the Bajorian doctor. “I did not try communicating with it. But I can try if you wish Commander. My guess is that it is very lonely and sad. We do not know how long it has been here by itself, without any kind of companionship.”

That kind of existence had to be utterly full of desolation and despair. She couldn’t imagine not not having anyone around for how many centuries, millennia even? Without any kind of interaction with anyone? That was a torture that Beja could barely wrap her mind around. How does that affect any kind of creature’s being?

Beja turned to Juraan, “Doctor Juraan, what did you find with your tricorder readings? Anything that will indicate what this creature is?”

His eyes adjusted angle only slightly, and his expression softening, 'Century' nodded as Beja reported that the being hadn't tried to communicate in any meaningful fashion - at least, he assumed the thrashing wasn't come kind of non-verbal language. He glanced over to Sirol, and wondered how the Science Officer was getting on with the database; if she was finished soon, perhaps her crypto-linguistics would be of some use - perhaps together with the Diplomatic Chief, if the thing was alive and able to communicate, their teaming up would go far.

But...for reasons he couldn't explain, John found himself fighting the urge to kill it there and then. An almost overwhelming desire to wipe it away, to remove it from his sight.

It, the creature, just felt wrong. As wrong as his reaction to it. Growing with every passing moment.

Oh man. Finn covered his mouth as his eyes were fixed on the strange creature. He had no desire to get anywhere near it and was ready to give up on any claims if this was really a prison for this being.

When the commander adressed him, he was confused why he of all people would know something about it.
I've never seen anything alike, Commander. He told him but his voice held no admiration. On the contrary.

Don't get so close, Juraan. He told his friend and basically hid behind him taking a few steps back. If shit went south, Finn didn't need a front row seat.
I think we should just leave IT alone.

He gave Beja a bewildered look when she expressed sympathetic feelings. Did she have any sort of gift that allowed her to read the creature? Or was she just guessing? What if she was getting manipulated?

Stepping aside so the security officer could do his job, Finn was ready to leave again but he had a feeling that that wouldn't happen too soon.

It was a long shot, but the old officer couldn't be surprised when Finn said he hadn't seen anything like it before. That was, perhaps, a little too easy. And so he shrugged a 'worth an ask' and turned back to the two studying the chamber.

[Central core of the Alien Wreck]

Unlike Beja Juraan had trouble feeling sympathy for a being like one right in front of them. Maybe it was a personal flaw but with an appearance so very different form humanoids, there was no indication for him that would tell him how that being felt. And thus it didn't generate an emotional response from him.

When Beja asked him if he found anything with the tricorder he lifted the device up to take a look at the readings. "It's weird. It seems like the creature's tentacles are ... endless. The creature's body, its core, is trapped here by that force field but it seems like the tips of its tentacles ... they reach all the way up into space. Maybe even further."

He lowered the tricorder to glance at the creature. "The Aquila might get some more accurate readings with their sensors up there. Apart from its physical presence, I don't get any readings that would indicate its emotional state if it has one."

John was about to raise the point about his misgivings about brining it aboard when his combadge chirped.

He nodded to the Operations station, "Tie me in."

Then, =/\= "This is Captain Solluk.  We have been monitoring your progress from orbit, and completed scans of the creature you've encountered.  We can confirm your initial analysis.  The creature- whatever it is- has some sort of system for tapping into different layers of subspace, and perhaps beyond.   From what we can tell, these... tendrils, for lack of a better term... are not a part of the creature itself, but rather some energy it extends outward from its body.  Sciences believes it may be a feeding or sensor mechanism, but I'd be interested in the Opinions of Ensign Sirol or Commander Beja as to whether this seems likely. 

I'm preliminarily of the opinion that we should not leave the creature stranded on that wreck.  But I also don't know if it is safe to transport.  I'd appreciate opinions on that, as well.

Finally, I'd like someone to see if we can pull data off of that ancient computer.  Is there a recording medium we might scan?" =/\=
[/size]

Tapping it, Saxon responded almost immediately. "Saxon here, Captain" he began. He fought against his natural instincts to leave this...abomination...where it lay, and gave his opinion to the best of his abilities. "The lifeform seems to be contained by a forcefield; Leftenant Goodspeed" he glanced at her, raising his eyebrows 'encouragingly', "will be letting us know shortly if its something we can quickly reproduce aboard. However" he continued, "I'm not sure of two things: one, if the biofilters can manage through transport, or whether the containment unit itself can be moved back to the Cuanza safely."

He looked back to the Romulan, to further check on her progress. "There seems to be some crystal attached to the consoles - I can't speak for Ensign Sirol's findings but it strikes me as something that could be etched, like a Caraddian isolinear rod."

He kept the final thoughts to himself; torpedo the whole thing from orbit and never look back.
There are old soldiers.
And there are bold soldiers.
And then there’s:
John 'Century' Saxon

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2021, 06:35:49 am »
[Wreck]
Of course Finn knew that he was neither in charge nor Starfleet nor his opinion of any interests.
When he heard that the crew were thinking about beaming the creature on board, he wanted to scream and protest.
I know I'm not in charge but my crew is aboard your ship now. This.... he gestured to the strange jelly fish. Has surely been contained for a reason. There were drones firing at anyone getting close. It is meant to be trapped. You have no idea what it is but want to temper with it and jeopardize everyone including my crew?
He shook his head and stated firmly.
It's not safe. I have to object.

Solluk

• Reserved Player
  • Competent Member
  • Site Administrators
  • Captain Solluk's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #227 on: May 14, 2021, 10:09:46 pm »

USS Aquila - Bridge

Solluk considered the information coming in, as well as the misgivings from the Captain of the Wonderland.

=/\= This is Solluk.  Let's try to get the information from that crystal.  It may hold the information we lack about the creature.  But I am not currently inclined to just leave this creature entombed within this alien wreck.  We've never seen its like.  It may be the last of its kind.  It may be intelligent.  It may even be dangerous and contained for a good reason... but if so, this antique prison is not a safe one.  Whether this thing is a great discovery or a dangerous beast, we can't just leave it there.  In finding it, we have inherited a responsibility for it.  I do not intend to abdicate that responsibility.  =/\=

Solluk just hoped that responsibility wouldn't get everyone killed.

Sometimes he craved a simpler universe, with simpler directives. 

Orbital bombardment was assuredly the safest course.

But it was not the Federation way.

Beja

• Approved Applicants
  • Beja's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2021, 12:25:55 am »
Alien Crash Site

Perhaps it would be wise for us not to judge this creature by it’s looks. We do not know that it has any kind of nefarious desires. I would suggest we keep an open mind, and see if we can help the creature. It is something that Katra has been known for is it not? Did we not help the subspace microorganisms? The space whale?” Beja had been surprised by how so many were so quick to judge the creature and put it into a bad category.

Beja always strived to keep an open mind, and try not to judge by the outside layers. Here was something that none of them had ever seen before, or had any knowledge of. Just think of all the possibilities that stood before them. The Captain was right. This might be the last of its kind. Maybe the creature could help solve the wormhole? Maybe the creature could push science forward, technology forward, the galaxy forward? And they would miss that, because it looked scary to people?

It was good to hear that the Captain was of a like mind as Beja. Beja turned to the Commander, “How can I help? What do you need me to do?”

Catherine Goodspeed

• Approved Applicants
  • Probationer
  • Cat Goodspeed's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2021, 05:45:20 am »

Tapping it, Saxon responded almost immediately. "Saxon here, Captain" he began. He fought against his natural instincts to leave this...abomination...where it lay, and gave his opinion to the best of his abilities. "The lifeform seems to be contained by a forcefield; Leftenant Goodspeed" he glanced at her, raising his eyebrows 'encouragingly', "will be letting us know shortly if its something we can quickly reproduce aboard. However" he continued, "I'm not sure of two things: one, if the biofilters can manage through transport, or whether the containment unit itself can be moved back to the Cuanza safely."

He looked back to the Romulan, to further check on her progress. "There seems to be some crystal attached to the consoles - I can't speak for Ensign Sirol's findings but it strikes me as something that could be etched, like a Caraddian isolinear rod."

He kept the final thoughts to himself; torpedo the whole thing from orbit and never look back.

Cat nodded at the Commander and set to work.

The voice of Captain Moreno filtered into her thoughts and she had to agree with him.  There was a reason it had to be trapped.  Cat very much doubted it was because it had been caught scrumping for  apples.

In addition to his comment Beja's earlier mention of the thing being lonely kept raising it's head.

Part of Cat's brain [that seemed to reserve itself for the more sarcastic internal monologues she had] had been pondering this comment for a while.

Sure the thing may be lonely but then Cat was pretty sure Death Row inmates felt lonely every now and then as did cannibals and certain individuals of all species that wanted to do unspeakable acts on you, kill you and then wear your treated skin as their best Sunday picnic outfit with a pretty bonnet made from your woven body hair.

Being lonely didn't constitute being nice.

Despite every cell in her body screaming at her to run and hide the readings she was getting from the creature's containment field had at first frustrated her and then intrigued her.

It was like trying to do a crossword puzzle where there were no actual clues to start out with apart from one letter which someone had kindly filled in for her.  She just now had to run enough simulations and guesses until she found the remaining letters and solve the puzzle before her chances ran out.

As she trimmed the last piece to fit she finally let out a rather happy sigh and unhunched her shoulders and neck by rotating her head and stretching her hands over her head.

She turned to Commander Saxon and began to open her mouth when the disembodied voice of Captain Solluk floated into her ears.

USS Aquila - Bridge

Solluk considered the information coming in, as well as the misgivings from the Captain of the Wonderland.

=/\= This is Solluk.  Let's try to get the information from that crystal.  It may hold the information we lack about the creature.  But I am not currently inclined to just leave this creature entombed within this alien wreck.  We've never seen its like.  It may be the last of its kind.  It may be intelligent.  It may even be dangerous and contained for a good reason... but if so, this antique prison is not a safe one.  Whether this thing is a great discovery or a dangerous beast, we can't just leave it there.  In finding it, we have inherited a responsibility for it.  I do not intend to abdicate that responsibility.  =/\=

Solluk just hoped that responsibility wouldn't get everyone killed.

Sometimes he craved a simpler universe, with simpler directives. 

Orbital bombardment was assuredly the safest course.

But it was not the Federation way.

Bugger.

She knew it.  The Federation couldn't leave anything alone. It was like a child that kept picking a  bleeding scab on it's knee or bothering a hornets nest when the Aunt of common sense had told the child to leave it well alone.

As much as she wore the uniform and ..well.. Sort of followed their rules it didn't mean Cat had to blindly like the decisions it made people make.

She shot a quick glance to Saxon. Both of them the eldest here but one with a lifetime of obeying the rules of Starfleet, the other one not so.

She just hoped Saxons life experiences meant he shared and felt the same internal gnawing that they should leave this thing here to grow old and die alone.

=/\= Captain, Goodspeed here.  I've been analyzing the containment field and from the readings and data gathered the containment field is being run independently from the rest of the ship's power source. The forcefield is actually being fed by normal and temporal subspace energy, Captain.   From what I can ascertain in this short time the space within the forcefield itself is what is powering the shielding sir and I think also may be keeping the creature alive.  It's a bit like us being trapped in a containment field powered by the air we breathe and food and drink we consume.. Err.. If you get my drift sir. I've run some scenarios and it seems safe to move using the transporter system sir as the energy we use is completely different to the components of the shielding itself so there will be no feedback or breaches I can foresee. Goodspeed out  =/\=

Cat sighed heavily.  She could have lied and said there was no way it should be moved but even Cat couldn't do that.  Little white lies to make people feel better was one thing.

Alien Crash Site

Perhaps it would be wise for us not to judge this creature by it’s looks. We do not know that it has any kind of nefarious desires. I would suggest we keep an open mind, and see if we can help the creature. It is something that Katra has been known for is it not? Did we not help the subspace microorganisms? The space whale?” Beja had been surprised by how so many were so quick to judge the creature and put it into a bad category.

Beja always strived to keep an open mind, and try not to judge by the outside layers. Here was something that none of them had ever seen before, or had any knowledge of. Just think of all the possibilities that stood before them. The Captain was right. This might be the last of its kind. Maybe the creature could help solve the wormhole? Maybe the creature could push science forward, technology forward, the galaxy forward? And they would miss that, because it looked scary to people?

It was good to hear that the Captain was of a like mind as Beja. Beja turned to the Commander, “How can I help? What do you need me to do?”

As much as she loved Beja for her  soft and gentle approach when it came to all things living, Cat did want to give her a gentle shake every now and then.

Cat smiled as she spoke.  "Beja my dear I have 4 very hideously ugly voles that share my bed that basically make a Terran mole rat feel pretty that would have the average animal lover run screaming for the hills to obtain pitchforks and fire to which to drive them out"

Cat pointed to the wriggling mass " but neither my voles nor the Whale made me ever want to run screaming from a room in primal fear and blow the whole planet up from a very safe distance and then leave warning beacons."

Cat shrugged and leaned in to get a better look whilst trying not to get any closer  "It scares me Beja."  Cat straightened up "and I don't mean jump out and go boo scare me.  I mean deep down dread scares me. Reminds me of a line by Shakespeare. 'By the pricking of my thumbs... Something wicked this way comes'...."

Juraan Ren

• Approved Applicants
  • Probationer
  • ID for Juraan Ren
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2021, 10:41:12 am »

Juraan just stood and listened as the different opinions on how to proceed about that alien being were exchanged. Personally, Juraan wouldn't risk freeing that thing. But he knew Starfleet regulations well enough to know that even if Captain Solluk didn't want it, he had to at least attempt to save it.

He glanced to Finn who had stepped behind him. His hand tightened around the phaser in his hand as he waited to see what would happen.
Species: Bajoran

Alt of Tess t'Lhoell

John Saxon

• Reserved Player
  • Competent Member
  • John Saxon's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2021, 03:12:10 am »

Taking in the details coming in from all around him, John organised his thoughts into instructions. " =/\= Understood, Aquila. Prepare to receive. Saxon out. =/\=" He turned to the team in unison. "Ensign Sirol, pull whatever you can from the databanks in the next 10 minutes. Leftentant Goodspeed, I'm going to see what we can do to disconnect the containment module."

He made his way to the module and inspected it. The connector clamps around its base were obvious. While the transporters could beam the whole thing up as-was, it made sense that the confinement beam didn't struggle with determining where the module ended and the deck started. Disconnecting them allowed the AI to better judge the mass it was being asked to transform to energy and back- and given there was a living, but completely unknown creature inside, quantum resolution was necessary which already taxed the buffers.

A series of turn-keys at each clamp seemed to suggest release mechanisms, and so he gingerly turned one. Other than a hiss of air, and a metal clamp disengaged, nothing occurred of any import. He continued around the module, doing his best to ignore the creature inside. Three clamps were released, and he arrived at the fourth and last. He stood, straightened his back, rubbed his beard in contemplation, then bent down, turning the final release.

Almost immediately a sound that could only have been an alarm, but of a tone that defied normal convention, screeched out. The pale yellow lights dimmed and the chamber flashed an orchid hue. A voice sang out, urgent and unintelligible, detailing dome message that Saxon did not need the universal translator to decode, but yet still more of a series of noises than anything familiar. Even so, the sounds could be roughly associated into Federation Standard, with some effort. "Ahpa. Ynulud. Gktr. Bvqr.".

John stood up. And looked at everyone. He bent down and tried to turn the last turn-key, but neither the clamp or the key moved. With the other hand he slapped his combadge, and spoke with calmness that belied the situation. " =/\= Saxon to Aquila. Suspected destruct in progress. Need an emergency beam-out immediately of all team-members and a life-form in a containment module at our position. =/\=".

He glanced over to the databank consoles, and gestured for the memory crystal to be pulled from its housing.

The salvage, or whatever could be left, however, was going to be a topic of much debate later....
There are old soldiers.
And then there’s:
John 'Century' Saxon

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2021, 06:13:11 am »
[Wreck]

Finn could only shake his head in horror about so much ignorance. Why would they temper with this monstrosity?
Had his team not just been rescued from what seemed and impossible situation? Just to be thrown into another one? Had this really just bought them a day?
Why would you try this? Don't touch the damn thing!He called out at Saxon. If anyone could do it, it was him. Finn wasn't Starfleet and didn't have to obey anyones orders or bow to any higher ranking officer?
He didn't have the guts to physically stop the man because his security officer would probably stun him.

Next thing he knew and gut wrenching voice seemed to start a count down.
There was nothing holding him back now, so he rounded Juraan and stepped up to Saxon, trying to pull the man away from the last bolt.
Oh for fucks sake...leave that thing behind. It'll only destroy everything aboard your ship.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:14:43 am by Finn Moreno »

John Saxon

• Reserved Player
  • Competent Member
  • John Saxon's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2021, 06:44:14 am »

[Wreck]

Finn could only shake his head in horror about so much ignorance. Why would they temper with this monstrosity?
Had his team not just been rescued from what seemed and impossible situation? Just to be thrown into another one? Had this really just bought them a day?
Why would you try this? Don't touch the damn thing!He called out at Saxon. If anyone could do it, it was him. Finn wasn't Starfleet and didn't have to obey anyones orders or bow to any higher ranking officer?
He didn't have the guts to physically stop the man because his security officer would probably stun him.

There was nothing holding him back now, so he rounded Juraan and stepped up to Saxon, trying to pull the man away from the last bolt.
Oh for fucks sake...leave that thing behind. It'll only destroy everything aboard your ship.

John 'Century' Saxon wasn't a tall man. He wasn't bristling with physique, nor possessed of a particularly obvious grace. And he certainly wasn't gifted with youth.

But what he was was made of steel, beaten and folded across the decades, forged in fire of fights innumerable. Hardened and unyielding, and as cold as the vacuum of space. Resilient as the ship they stood in. So as Finn grabbed him, the old officer made no reflex action. He didn't pull himself away, nor push them off. But merely stared at the civilian Captain, his creased faced relaxed and without ire. But his glare was cool. And perhaps traced with pity. He spoke, and his voice, often described as a brick wrapped in velvet, cut through the din without it being raised.

"Calm yourself, sir" he clipped, using the very phrase oft repeated to panicking Officers in Starfleet, where once Chief Petty Officer Saxon reminded his Commissioned unit commanders to maintain their decorum under fire, as expected by their rank. Of course, Moreno was no Starfleet officer, but as a self-proclaimed Captain, the merchantman had a responsibility to his own crew by showing leadership, and courage.

Of course, the next option would be a powerful uppercut, to put the matter firmly to rest. Literally. He may not be tall, or well-built, or young. But many an opponent mistook his lithe frame for frailty, and while his days of comfortably tussling with Orion pirates were long over, the old warrior still had surprising power in his hooks.

Thus it remained to be seen what kind of leader to his crew Captain Moreno was.
There are old soldiers.
And then there’s:
John 'Century' Saxon

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2021, 07:02:05 am »
[Wreck]
The old man had an iron grip that surprised Finn. But he was also stubborn as a mule and ready to risk the safety of everyone around.
So Finn needed to stand up for them, he believed. His own judgement told him that Saxon was about to bring doom upon the ship with them. The freighter captain was responsible for his team, so he needed to act.
Finn stood - packing considerably more muscle, firmly planted his feet onto the ground and, for a lack of a phaser, twisted the older mans hand away from the bolt by using an old 'twist your finger till it hurts' trick, while pushing his own shoulder against him to force him away. He did not dare to actually hit the man, though.
After all he only had to hold him away from the bolt, so the creature could not be beamed aboard, right?
Juraan, help me. This is madness.

Juraan Ren

• Approved Applicants
  • Probationer
  • ID for Juraan Ren
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2021, 07:48:34 am »

Taking in the details coming in from all around him, John organised his thoughts into instructions. " =/\= Understood, Aquila. Prepare to receive. Saxon out. =/\=" He turned to the team in unison. "Ensign Sirol, pull whatever you can from the databanks in the next 10 minutes. Leftentant Goodspeed, I'm going to see what we can do to disconnect the containment module."

He made his way to the module and inspected it. The connector clamps around its base were obvious. While the transporters could beam the whole thing up as-was, it made sense that the confinement beam didn't struggle with determining where the module ended and the deck started. Disconnecting them allowed the AI to better judge the mass it was being asked to transform to energy and back- and given there was a living, but completely unknown creature inside, quantum resolution was necessary which already taxed the buffers.

A series of turn-keys at each clamp seemed to suggest release mechanisms, and so he gingerly turned one. Other than a hiss of air, and a metal clamp disengaged, nothing occurred of any import. He continued around the module, doing his best to ignore the creature inside. Three clamps were released, and he arrived at the fourth and last. He stood, straightened his back, rubbed his beard in contemplation, then bent down, turning the final release.

Almost immediately a sound that could only have been an alarm, but of a tone that defied normal convention, screeched out. The pale yellow lights dimmed and the chamber flashed an orchid hue. A voice sang out, urgent and unintelligible, detailing dome message that Saxon did not need the universal translator to decode, but yet still more of a series of noises than anything familiar. Even so, the sounds could be roughly associated into Federation Standard, with some effort. "Ahpa. Ynulud. Gktr. Bvqr.".

John stood up. And looked at everyone. He bent down and tried to turn the last turn-key, but neither the clamp or the key moved. With the other hand he slapped his combadge, and spoke with calmness that belied the situation. " =/\= Saxon to Aquila. Suspected destruct in progress. Need an emergency beam-out immediately of all team-members and a life-form in a containment module at our position. =/\=".

He glanced over to the databank consoles, and gestured for the memory crystal to be pulled from its housing.

The salvage, or whatever could be left, however, was going to be a topic of much debate later....

Juraan watched as Saxon moved around the creature's prison, working on releasing it from it. He noticed himself tensioning, lifting the hand with the weapon up, ready to fire if he needed to. The alarm tone that then went off had Juraan looking up and turning his head, an instinct to see if there was something important to discover, maybe some kind of display or something else. Nothing visible was there. Instead they heard something. It was a foreign language but the intonation suggested a countdown. "Ras", he growled. What was happening? Would that robot thing return and fire on them? Or something worse?

*Ras = Damn

[Wreck]

John 'Century' Saxon wasn't a tall man. He wasn't bristling with physique, nor possessed of a particularly obvious grace. And he certainly wasn't gifted with youth.

But what he was was made of steel, beaten and folded across the decades, forged in fire of fights innumerable. Hardened and unyielding, and as cold as the vacuum of space. Resilient as the ship they stood in. So as Finn grabbed him, the old officer made no reflex action. He didn't pull himself away, nor push them off. But merely stared at the civilian Captain, his creased faced relaxed and without ire. But his glare was cool. And perhaps traced with pity. He spoke, and his voice, often described as a brick wrapped in velvet, cut through the din without it being raised.

"Calm yourself, sir" he clipped, using the very phrase oft repeated to panicking Officers in Starfleet, where once Chief Petty Officer Saxon reminded his Commissioned unit commanders to maintain their decorum under fire, as expected by their rank. Of course, Moreno was no Starfleet officer, but as a self-proclaimed Captain, the merchantman had a responsibility to his own crew by showing leadership, and courage.

Of course, the next option would be a powerful uppercut, to put the matter firmly to rest. Literally. He may not be tall, or well-built, or young. But many an opponent mistook his lithe frame for frailty, and while his days of comfortably tussling with Orion pirates were long over, the old warrior still had surprising power in his hooks.

Thus it remained to be seen what kind of leader to his crew Captain Moreno was.

[Wreck]
The old man had an iron grip that surprised Finn. But he was also stubborn as a mule and ready to risk the safety of everyone around.
So Finn needed to stand up for them, he believed. His own judgement told him that Saxon was about to bring doom upon the ship with them. The freighter captain was responsible for his team, so he needed to act.
Finn stood - packing considerably more muscle, firmly planted his feet onto the ground and, for a lack of a phaser, twisted the older mans hand away from the bolt by using an old 'twist your finger till it hurts' trick, while pushing his own shoulder against him to force him away. He did not dare to actually hit the man, though.
After all he only had to hold him away from the bolt, so the creature could not be beamed aboard, right?
Juraan, help me. This is madness.

Before he knew what happened, Finn had rounded Juraan and approched Saxon, trying to keep him form freeing the creature. Finn was rather forceful, physically trying to push the Commander away, while Saxon at first kept his stance. It was obvious that there seemed to be little that would faze the experienced soldier to a degree that it would actually show outwardly.

Juraan hesitated a moment, even as Finn addressed him directly to help him. Part of Juraan wanted to help Finn, something about a minority fighting for what they thought was right always got him, even if it was overexaggerated as a scenario. But there was also the realist inside him that looked at the situation and knew, it was pointless.

"Finn", Juraan said while Finn moved on to hurt Saxon. He grabbed the Freighter Captain's shoulder tightly. "They will beam that thing up to the ship, if you like it or not." He tried to get through to him. "We have no time for this, an alarm went off and if we waste time it might be too late for all of us." Juraan thought it possible that Saxon might order his security guys to stun them because they were hindering them at following orders and Juraan very much wanted to avoid that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:27:10 am by Tess tLhoell »
Species: Bajoran

Alt of Tess t'Lhoell

Solluk

• Reserved Player
  • Competent Member
  • Site Administrators
  • Captain Solluk's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2021, 09:23:20 am »

USS Aquila - In Orbit - Bridge

"Captain," came the word from Sciences after Saxon reported a potential self-destruct action, "Confirming an energy buildup below.  Possibly some kind of intentional criticality of the nuclear material."

Solluk stood up from his command chair.

Even as he prepared to give orders, it seemed that an argument erupted among the away team members. 

Well, with a destruct underway, any argument was moot as far as he was concerned.

Ops spoke up, "Sir, with the energy state of the ionosphere, we can't possibly hope to beam them up!"

Solluk's mind was racing.   

It was just an Engineering problem.

You were an Engineer, once, man. 

Think!

"Ops, fire a phaser beam through the atmosphere to the site of the alien wreck.  The energy of the beam will cause a momentary expansion of the atmosphere away from the beam.  The ACB jacket should provide a carrier conduit for transport.  Then beam them all up, immediately. 

Bring our people to Transporter Room 1, emergency priority!  The creature and its containment unit to Cargo Bay 2.  Once it's up, I want an additional containment force-field around it.   

Send a warning to the Wonderland repair teams about an imminent blast.  Flight, I want you to interface with and remote-control the Runabout away from the crash site, maximum atmospheric speed."

The officers on the bridge got to work.   

"Phaser firing.  Sir, at the necessary power-level, we're damaging the hull of the alien vessel," Tactical cautioned.

"That alien vessel won't even be there in a moment," Solluk said, "Energize!"

"Energizing transporters," Ops declared, "... we have them, sir!  Engaging containment field within Cargo Bay Two.  And Sir, the Wonderland repair team reports the Wonderland is sufficiently repaired to make orbit... but not much else.  They're launching now, Sir."

Solluk nodded, "Maneuver the Runabout close to their exit vector, in case they need a tow."

Seconds began to pass.

Then, on the planet below, there was a bright spark of light. 

Sciences chimed in, "There's been a blast of 37.5 kilotons, Sir.  Likely much less than the intended yield of the destruct, but the nuclear material has been degrading down there for a long time."

Solluk glared momentarily at Sciences, despite himself.  He did not care about the efficiency of the destruct mechanism.  He cared about the escape of the Wonderland team.

"What about the Wonderland?"

Ops interrupted, "They were at the perimeter of the blast radius, Sir, but other than some turbulence, they've made it to orbit without incident."

Science chimed in with additional news, "Scans of the Wonderland... Sir, they're in orbit, but that ship is in very poor condition.  It may take as many resources to repair her completely as it would take to build an entirely new ship."

Solluk sighed, "That is a decision her Captain must make.  Take the vessel under tow.  Did our Runabout get out?"

Flight nodded, "Aye.  Bringing it into the Shuttle Bay now, Sir."

"Too bad their salvage is irradiated," Ops lamented.

"Not all of it.  The Zoological find and the data crystal will have substantial scientific value," Solluk said, "I'll see to it that a fair quantity of credits are transferred to the Captain when we get back."

The Flight and Ops officers glanced at each other, privately wondering if Federation credits still held any value in the area, now that the government backing those currencies was cut off from the quadrant. 

Solluk caught the glances, and couldn't disagree with the concerns behind them.  Well, if nowhere else, credits were still good on Katra station and New Bajor.

"Drop a warning buoy about the radioactive area.  Then set a course for Katra Station.  Maximum safe towing speed."

On screen, the planet gradually drifted out of view, and then the Aquila began a high-impulse departure from the orbital plane. 

They were headed home, at last.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:30:05 am by Solluk »

Catherine Goodspeed

• Approved Applicants
  • Probationer
  • Cat Goodspeed's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2021, 01:36:12 pm »
Central core of the Alien Wreck

Cat watched as Saxon approached the containment module and she moved as far back as was politely acceptable to be out of the way but not seem like she was trying to escape any tentacles that may be released.

In her heart she was so very glad Saxon had taken it upon himself to directly detach the thing from the clamps attaching it to the vessel. She had been mildly panicking ever since the Captain had given the orders that they were taking it with them like an unwelcome snake hiding in your holiday luggage and she hadn't wanted to be the one tasked with locking the suitcase shut so to speak.

Then everything went from 1 to a hundred in an exhale of breath.

The sudden sounding of what to Cats ears seemed to be a countdown in some unknown dead language broke whatever spell everyone had been under whilst watching the Commander release the last clamp.

Then it started.  In all it's glorious technicolor.

Of all the places and times to pick a fight with a gnarly Starfleet Officer by the Captain of The Wonderland, right now did not seem the best time or place in Cat's honest opinion.

As fast as the exchange of words started and pushing began Cat was began to subconsciously inch her way towards the fray;  keeping one eye on the two men jostling in front of her and the other eye on The Wonderlands Bajoran crew member in case another person joined the "disagreement" and security couldn't make it over to them in time.

She let her other senses panic about the rest of the things happening.

She didn't need this right now.

She really didn't need two fully grown men to fight whilst wearing containment suits on an alien planet as a tentacled mass looked on whilst a countdown to their possible deaths echoed around them.

She was trying to think of solutions to get them off this planet and to safety. 

Trying and failing.  She'd give someone else's left arm right now for a console she could read and understand. Something she could use....

She just hoped someone else was coming up with a smarter solution.

Just as she thought she would have to step in between the 2 men a familiar feeling spread throughout her....

USS Aquila - Transporter Room 1

Safe.... They were safe.

Cat knew in her bones they had the Captain to thank for their survival. Someone was going to get a cake with the badly iced words "Thank you" once they were back at the Station.  Once they were back home.

Looking round at the others, Cat waited for the all clear to remove her helmet and pondered whether it would reflect badly on her to take the Captain of the Wonderland over her knee and give him a jolly good spanking right there and then.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 02:21:15 pm by Catherine Goodspeed »

James Bryson

• Reserved Player
  • Lt. jg Bryson Katra
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2021, 08:00:07 pm »
Central core of the Alien Wreck

Jeb had deployed the other security officers around the room as he stayed back and near the alien creature. He'd watched as Saxon had began making his way around it and unlocking latches. He watched as the rescued captain of the Wonderland attempted to stop the XO from unlocking the container. He immediately took a step toward the other man but was quickly swallowed up by a transporter beam. He had still been reaching for him as they rematerialized aboard the ship. His momentum brought him in quicker than he had intended and when he grabbed the other man's arm, he shoved him back against the wall harder than he had expected.

"If you ever lay another hand on another Starfleet officer, you won't have a hand to pull back. Are we clear?" he growled into his ear.

Jeb had been called off before he could do anything else.

Finn Moreno

• Approved Applicants
  • Moreno's Wonderland ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2021, 11:24:18 pm »
When he materialized again he got thrown against a wall much quicker than anticipated and not by Saxon but one of his security officers.
Finn didn't push back or anything. The guy could have stunned him.
Instead he was breathing hard trying to see where the creature had gone but it wasn't here with them.
Then he turned his gaze on the officer.
"This is crazy."
He pushed a little against the mans grip.
"Understood. Let go!"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 11:28:07 pm by Finn Moreno »